GDC 2009 Thread - Iwata Keynote 9AM Pacific on Wednesday - STOWAGE SOLUSHUNZ ZOMG

Well, the keynote's over:
-Storage solution
-Rock & Roll Climber for Wiiware
-Final Fantasy for Wiiware (My Life as a Darklord and FFIV: The After), and VC
-Arcade games for the VC
-Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks for the DS

[quote name='1up']10:15
New Zelda looks better than my description probably makes it sound. Looks like a fairly traditional Zelda portable game, with puzzle dungeons and Phantom Hourglass-style touch mechanics. The train basically works like the boat in PH, running along the overworld (presumably on a rail defined by players). Enemy control mechanics look pretty nice -- link distracted a big Zora with a controlled shadow guard, then snuck around to hit it from behind. [/quote]

[quote name='Wolfkin']you know it did look fun but the pricing structure seems a tad muchfor me. maybe if i get some spare points I'll check it out. if I can convince my nephew it's not gay maybe he'll like it.[/QUOTE]

The DLC is not necessary, aside from maybe the dungeon packs. This could've easily been a full retail game with only a few minor additions. It's very addicting and well worth the points. I'd recommend looking into it sometime.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']k... smeone explain to me the difference between the arcade section and the wiiware section...?

best news out of this is def the new firmware... no more bitching.[/QUOTE]

I imagine they are trying to create something akin to MAME. We'll have to get more information though.

At the least, this might mean (as I said) the Vs series that Nintendo had in arcades back with the NES. They were built more around multiplayer. So there was Excitebike Vs. for example that had two tracks, meaning two player competition.

Also, generally, the arcade games back then were superior to the home console versions. I know Mappy vs Mappyland is a huge difference.

We'll get more information soon.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']k... smeone explain to me the difference between the arcade section and the wiiware section...?

best news out of this is def the new firmware... no more bitching.[/quote]wait are those two section? I thought they were just calling them 'arcade' games like a genre or maybe highlighting some WiiWare games. Like it's the WiiWare Arcade sorta like the Spring Fever on PSN and .. whatever it was called on XBL

New Zelda looks better than my description probably makes it sound. Looks like a fairly traditional Zelda portable game, with puzzle dungeons and Phantom Hourglass-style touch mechanics. The train basically works like the boat in PH, running along the overworld (presumably on a rail defined by players). Enemy control mechanics look pretty nice -- link distracted a big Zora with a controlled shadow guard, then snuck around to hit it from behind.
I'll hold off on my prejudices. I'll wait until I can see it before I judge it but Link on a Train doesn't like the Link I want to be playing.

E: Oh and I just remembered the Link FPS (CBT) so I guess he has been whored out before.

I'm gonna head home and grab some food.. maybe play some Smash. I'm all jazzed for Nintendo atm. Oh.. I'll put a VC game on a SD card and put some time into Mario RPG.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I'll hold off on my prejudices. I'll wait until I can see it before I judge it but Link on a Train doesn't like the Link I want to be playing.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is "Steampunk Zelda" all those crazy people have been clamoring for.

I'm actually really surprised that no motion+ stuff was talked about. Since this is/was a developer's conference I was highly expecting more details to be announced.

Moving all of my WiiWare and VC games to SD as we speak. It is about damn time!

BTW, it took roughly 5 seconds to launch Megaman 9 from SD. Remember, it has to copy the game from SD to Wii memory before it launches so it could take longer on bigger games.

you know that's a very good point. The week isn't over but where IS the talk about motion plus. that would be some interesting reading

[quote name='Strell']So the puzzle is like the skeleton from The Dig.[/quote]
Well... I guess you could say that, though that turtle was actually pretty easy to me.

And looking back, I'm not sure how I had so much trouble with the lock puzzle.

Also, HOLY MOTHERfuckING SHIT FINALLY!

The Suda, Ueda, Pagliarulo panel is finished:
Summary

Kotaku article

At today's Evolving Game Design panel, featuring Emil Pagliarulo of Bethesda Softworks, Goichi Suda of Grasshopper Manufacture and Fumito Ueda of Sony, the creative lead of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus discussed his future.

It was actually Suda who asked the question on everybody's mind "Can you tell us about the new games you're working on?" fielding the request to his co-panelists Pagliarulo and Ueda.

Pagliarulo said, safely, that "We're working on lots of [Fallout 3] DLC. Future Fallout games? Who knows, but there are a lot of ideas brewing upstairs." Ueda, however, was even less forward.

Ueda first warned "I think there are Sony Japan bosses are here, so I better not say too much."

"Probably, it will be similar to... um," Ueda said "Well, the essence of the game is similar to ICO."

"Who is your partner?" Suda prodded.

"Don't ask me anymore!" Ueda begged, clearly not ready to talk about his follow up to Shadow of the Colossus.

Suda offered to throw himself on the spike, saying that Grasshopper collaborator Shinji Mikami was "working on a horror game." Unfortunately, that's something we knew long ago, as it was revealed to be in that genre when EA announced its partnership with the Japanese developer.

Guess we'll have to wait a little longer to see what Team ICO is hard at work on.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Where's my Wii Zelda? DS Zelda is nice though.[/quote]
Would you rather the game get announced now and you have to wait three more years and two more delays to get it, or have it announced some time close to completion?

Not sayin' that that's what's happening, just saying that maybe, for once, Nintendo has learned its lesson with Twilight Princess and Brawl.

for the record now that I've actually seen the trailer for :ds:Zelda I'm a lot less opposed to it. I thought it was a train game from the descriptions. Instead it's a normal Zelda with a train instead of the boat and I can deal with that. Ugh. that just reminds me how much I need to get WindWaker. that and Minish Cap are the only Zeldas I don't have.

bread's done
Back