Gears of War 2 $39.99 universal drop [?]

espionage

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes a deal is just a deal. I don't know why anyone wouldn't have this game yet but I can easily say it's the only game that I have played consistently since I got it. Also, with All-Fronts pack coming out you could have it and ~30 multiplayer maps (All fronts + Stock + Flashback) for 60 bucks, not bad.

Isn't the deluxe addition with ALL of the multi-player packs included on the disk coming out soon for $60? Decent deal anyway. Thanks, OP!

No, I don't think there's a deluxe edition, but there is that now-marketplace exclusive dlc pack that'll cost $20 for every dlc portion.

[quote name='rdogg1026']Great deal OP, thanks!
00.gif
[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty solid deal, and as I never got around to playing this when it came out, now's the time. Thanks op!

Has anyone tried to purchase this with the ECA deal? Amazon keeps telling me that my promotional offer is expired.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='budz']Isn't the deluxe addition with ALL of the multi-player packs included on the disk coming out soon for $60? Decent deal anyway. Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

No, there's the Gears of War 2 disc (which is on sale here) which includes 1 free map pack that you can't get anywhere else, and then there's the new expansion pack disc (or download) for $20 which includes 2 map packs and an extra campaign mission.

[quote name='SirChadlyOC']It looks like these prices also dropped at GameStop today, as well. Very helpful if you want the game today.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=69459

EDIT: It looks like the used price dropped to $34.99 as I was writing this message. Bonus![/QUOTE]

cool nice find. i guess it was changed sometime after I checked today on the Gamestop website. it remains to be seen though whether this is a permanent pricedrop or a temporary price cut like CoD: WaW for $39.99 the last couple of weeks on both Amazon and GS.

I see somebody pointed out that the Platinum Hits version is now 19.99. So is there a disadvantage of just saving money and getting the PH version?? I always thought the PH version of games was identical to the original but we the Platinum Hits stamped on the box. Or am I missing something??

The PH version seems to include all the map packs, which actually make it have more content than the original version
Of course, I don't know how many people play Gears 1 on Live these days, so the extras may not really be that significant

[quote name='Escargoexpress']The PH version seems to include all the map packs, which actually make it have more content than the original version
Of course, I don't know how many people play Gears 1 on Live these days, so the extras may not really be that significant[/QUOTE]

Gears 1 still has a lot of people playing. I never have problems jumping into Online matches. I just hope EPIC doesn't shut down the Gears 1 servers anytime soon.

[quote name='budz']Isn't the deluxe addition with ALL of the multi-player packs included on the disk coming out soon for $60? Decent deal anyway. Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

I heard rumors of this too. I saw an article about this on Gamespot.com a few weeks back.

[quote name='rdogg1026']Gears 1 still has a lot of people playing. I never have problems jumping into Online matches. I just hope EPIC doesn't shut down the Gears 1 servers anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

Aren't all the stats on MS's servers, and games peer to peer on XBLA? The only games I ever saw get shut down on the original XBox was PSO and Steel Battalian (which was hosted Capcom server side for whatever reason). I would be extremely pissed to have any game outside of those two go under when we are paying $50 (well for me $32 or less) a year for Live. MS usually keeps everything up and running, It's Sony that lets the developers handle most of the online portions of things and thats why so many PS2 games are no longer available online.

Went ahead and picked this up. Lack of quality split-screen co-ops that my fiance likes make this a definite; and the price drop was all I needed to bite. Thanks

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Aren't all the stats on MS's servers, and games peer to peer on XBLA? The only games I ever saw get shut down on the original XBox was PSO and Steel Battalian (which was hosted Capcom server side for whatever reason). I would be extremely pissed to have any game outside of those two go under when we are paying $50 (well for me $32 or less) a year for Live. MS usually keeps everything up and running, It's Sony that lets the developers handle most of the online portions of things and thats why so many PS2 games are no longer available online.[/QUOTE]

Just about every EA title eventually goes offline after a few years. Apparently it's to make server room for the newest Madden each year. The server shutdown list usually hits about this time (July).

[quote name='drktrpr1']No, there's the Gears of War 2 disc (which is on sale here) which includes 1 free map pack that you can't get anywhere else, and then there's the new expansion pack disc (or download) for $20 which includes 2 map packs and an extra campaign mission.[/QUOTE]

I heard they canned the disk version since people were bitching about the price discrepancies.

I went and got it at Gamestop today used, it came out to like 37 since my Edge card expired. I think it's a pricedrop everywhere though and not a deal, but who knows.

Wow, if $39.99 is the new universal price I'd be very surprised, as Gears 1 is still selling for $20-$30 some places. If it is true, that's a very good price for a great game.

Hmm, never played Gears of War 2, and barely played Gears of war 1. I do want this since they improved much of the 1st from what I gather in reviews.

However, do I wait for the pack that will include everything, or bite on this now (which there is a possibility it could go even lower once that pack is released).

Is the single player worth the investment? I am a terrible online player, thus I rarely play games online, especially competitive games. I do like online co-op games, but it's hard finding a player online that's laid back about the game.

bread's done
Back