Gears of War 2 GOTY Edition $36.99 Pre-order on Amazon

United_Korea

CAGiversary!
http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-2-G..._4?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1251246218&sr=8-4

200768b.jpg

Release Date: Sept 1

includes

Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection

Last edited by a moderator:
Deal or No Deal!
Isn't this old news? It's been listed on Amazon as such for ages.
I guess technically it's a deal, but... ahh, I dunno.
I'm definitely gonna purchase this though.

[quote name='johnsdoe00']What's the difference really?[/QUOTE]If it's on the disc, we'll be able to buy used copies. If it's codes, we're most likely screwed.

I caught a break when I bought a used copy of Rock Band 2. Because they'd traded it in before the DLC site (for the 20 bonus tracks) had gone live, I was able to get everything for the price of a used game. Not feeling as lucky, that's why I pre-ordered GH5 in order to guarantee that I could get GH:VH, too.

Ohhh I see now. Yeah, that can be a problem. Like when I found a copy of COD4 GOTY that still had the code inside of it for the Veteran Maps Pack... I felt unbelievably lucky on that one. Yeah... but I was planning to buy this brand new anyway. I'm wondering if it will stay around the $39.99 price or jump higher.

[quote name='United_Korea']includes

Gears of War 2
Gears of War 2: All Fronts Collection
The Flashback Map Pack
Combustible Map Pack
Snowblind Map Pack[/QUOTE]All Fronts Collection already includes everything else you mentioned. I think you meant Dark Corners.

Ok so I just did some research and it seams like the msrp for this game is $39.99 so this isn't really much of a deal. I'll hold off for a little while before picking this up. Hopefully they don't pull the "bait and switch" that Activision pulled with COD4.

I'm glad the OP posted this because I wasn't aware there was a GOTY edition. I just finished Gears of War 1 a few weeks ago (yeah I'm behind...).

I bought GOW 1 for $45, didn't get around to playing it
until it was down to $35, and it was the two-disc version.

Flirk!

[quote name='Xevious']I'm glad the OP posted this because I wasn't aware there was a GOTY edition.[/QUOTE]

You gotta keep your ear to the ground Pocahontas or you're never gonna hear the water buffalo coming.

[quote name='Xevious'] I just finished Gears of War 1 a few weeks ago (yeah I'm behind...).[/QUOTE]

I'm just about to start Gears of War 1.

This includes the new collection that just came out? Does it have the extra single player campaign? I lost track of all the stuff that came out for this game.

[quote name='Don G.']This includes the new collection that just came out? Does it have the extra single player campaign? I lost track of all the stuff that came out for this game.[/QUOTE]
Yes the extra stuff is the "All Fronts Collection," which has every multiplayer map and the deleted useless campaign mode. You can get it on XBL for $20. Not sure if it includes themes and what not. No gold lancer though. :)

[quote name='KingDox']I bet it's codes, since pressing a disk I figure would cost more then giving you DLC to download.[/QUOTE]

I really hope it has a disc so me and my friends can all get the DLC

I know on Gears 1 they released the maps on a disc, maybe they'll do the same with Gears 2 and keep up the tradition. I'll let you know when I get it...

[quote name='hypertails02']Yes the extra stuff is the "All Fronts Collection," which has every multiplayer map and the deleted useless campaign mode. You can get it on XBL for $20. Not sure if it includes themes and what not. No gold lancer though. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Definitely going to pick this up then. I finished GOW1 a little while ago. I was going to buy the all fronts collection seperate but now I can just get a package. Thanks for posting OP.

I bought Gears 1 a month ago or so and have been holding off buying 2 because I knew the GOTY would come around soon enough with free maps, so this is good news. I do find it odd though (if it's true) that the maps aren't included on a second disc, like the Gears 1 GOTY edition.

Hmm, would this be worth picking up over the standard GoW2 for $20? It includes 5 free maps (Flashback Map Pack) already.

[quote name='donburns99']Hmm, would this be worth picking up over the standard GoW2 for $20? It includes 5 free maps (Flashback Map Pack) already.[/QUOTE]

Do you intend to play lots of multiplayer? If yes, then this will save you a few bucks. If no, then is a small additional storyline component worth the extra $15 to you?

[quote name='Thrinn']Do you intend to play lots of multiplayer? If yes, then this will save you a few bucks. If no, then is a small additional storyline component worth the extra $15 to you?[/QUOTE]Thanks for clearing that up. ^ ^

I'm curious now though. Is the storyline component able to be purchased as DLC seperately from the rest?

[quote name='donburns99']Thanks for clearing that up. ^ ^

I'm curious now though. Is the storyline component able to be purchased as DLC seperately from the rest?[/QUOTE]It's only available in two different collection packs online: one with all the new stuff for $15 and one with everything for $20.

I guess, I should have checked around first. I just picked up a mint used copy of gow 2 collectors edition. Not a scratch on the metal box and everything was included for around the same price as this. I'd probably rather have the copy I got now.

I'm a little late to the gears game. I haven't played the first one. I enjoy fps games and don't mind third person. I'm NOT into stealth games at all though. Games I enjoy are COD series, Halo, Mass Effect to name a few. Games I couldn't get into - MGS, GTA. Would I even like this game? Should I get gears 1 and play it first?

Never actually got into the Gears of War series, seen some people play it though. Probably should wait for a boxset or similar deal.
cagus.smile.jpg

[quote name='bordjon']I'm a little late to the gears game. I haven't played the first one. I enjoy fps games and don't mind third person. I'm NOT into stealth games at all though. Games I enjoy are COD series, Halo, Mass Effect to name a few. Games I couldn't get into - MGS, GTA. Would I even like this game? Should I get gears 1 and play it first?[/QUOTE]

The only stealth section in Gears 2 is in the "deleted scene" that is part of the DLC, not part of the main storyline. And even there you have the option to use the typical "guns-blazing" style rather than the stealth style. Gears 2 is my favorite shooter ever, at this point. Highly recommended.

edit: One quick caveat - you won't get the one-shot and two-shot kills you get in COD, you'll use half a clip or more unless you use a sniper rifle, torque bow, or close-range shotgun. Still a lot of fun though.

[quote name='DirkBelig']If it's on the disc, we'll be able to buy used copies. If it's codes, we're most likely screwed.

I caught a break when I bought a used copy of Rock Band 2. Because they'd traded it in before the DLC site (for the 20 bonus tracks) had gone live, I was able to get everything for the price of a used game. Not feeling as lucky, that's why I pre-ordered GH5 in order to guarantee that I could get GH:VH, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well too bad those 20 bonus tracks were complete crap. I actually wished they hadn't washed the time to even make them and just taken a couple bucks on the sale price instead.

bread's done
Back