Gears of War 3 $12, Napoleon Total War LE (PC), Sorcery (PS3) $10 & more @Newegg.com

[quote name='IamTylerDurden']I remember when Gears was a respectable franchise. Now it's $10 and a weak reboot on it's way. It's a shame what money does to people.[/QUOTE]

The game is about 15 months old...what price did u expect it to be at this point?

Only thing on the market that long that has held its price for that long is skyrim I think.

BTW, a low price doesn't translate into diminished game quality.

[quote name='aznhero913']The game is about 15 months old...what price did u expect it to be at this point?

Only thing on the market that long that has held its price for that long is skyrim I think.

BTW, a low price doesn't translate into diminished game quality.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say a low price means that necessarily, but to see it at $12 is pretty crazy. Even when the multi player holds strong for quite some years.

[quote name='aznhero913']BTW, a low price doesn't translate into diminished game quality.[/QUOTE]

QFT! Awesome price for GoW 3, currently I'm playing through the series again, finished the original game a few days ago and now playing GoW 2. The games have held up very well overtime, IMO. One of my favorite series!

Eh, nothing that really strikes my fancy. I dunno about those "clearance" prices either. To me $49.99 for Dragon's Dogma doesn't scream "Clearance, it needs to go!" to me.

Maybe I'd bite on Gears of War 3. I need to dust off the 360 anyway to play Fallout 3 (got the GotY for Christmas on it)

[quote name='Alien Spider']QFT! Awesome price for GoW 3, currently I'm playing through the series again, finished the original game a few days ago and now playing GoW 2. The games have held up very well overtime, IMO. One of my favorite series![/QUOTE]

Yah, I don't see how a game that's been out for almost a year and a half being cheap means the game isn't good. They sold a shit-ton of these things already. It's one of my favorite franchises of the "next gen". Mass Effect is another amazing franchise, does the fact that those games sell for $10-$15 mean they suck? Game prices tend to drop over time. Look up the top ten rated games on Xbox, and I'll bet most of them can be purchased new for less than $20.

That series is the first one that absolutely nailed online co-op IMO. Set the standard. And Horde? Brilliant. I'm looking forward to Judgement.

[quote name='berzirk']Yah, I don't see how a game that's been out for almost a year and a half being cheap means the game isn't good. They sold a shit-ton of these things already. It's one of my favorite franchises of the "next gen". Mass Effect is another amazing franchise, does the fact that those games sell for $10-$15 mean they suck? Game prices tend to drop over time. Look up the top ten rated games on Xbox, and I'll bet most of them can be purchased new for less than $20.

That series is the first one that absolutely nailed online co-op IMO. Set the standard. And Horde? Brilliant. I'm looking forward to Judgement.[/QUOTE]

After they made the POS of bulletstorm, I have no faith in Judgement.

[quote name='IamTylerDurden']I didn't say a low price means that necessarily, but to see it at $12 is pretty crazy. Even when the multi player holds strong for quite some years.[/QUOTE]
12 dollars for a game that's old and has multiple versions of the title everywhere? No that's not crazy at all.

Also the multiplayer isn't even in the top 15 most played titles being beaten by games like GTA IV.

10-15 is right about where a game like this should be after all this time, it's not a Modern Warfare that ranks in the top 3 for years.

[quote name='IamTylerDurden']I remember when Gears was a respectable franchise. Now it's $10 and a weak reboot on it's way. It's a shame what money does to people.[/QUOTE]

Supply and demand. The people who would pay the full price for the game, have done purchased it.

Now, the demand is low. They have a surplus of the game. They can either let it sit around, or they can move it and still make money.

[quote name='IamTylerDurden']After they made the POS of bulletstorm, I have no faith in Judgement.[/QUOTE]

It was a new franchise they tried to start, it wasn't very good, life goes on. Dragon Age was the next IP after Mass Effect, and it wasn't that good, but ME2 and 3 were both excellent games.

Just because a dev swings and misses on one new series, it doesn't mean their established franchises will start dying. Rockstar's ping pong game was lame, so all GTAs will forever be trash?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']12 dollars for a game that's old and has multiple versions of the title everywhere? No that's not crazy at all.

Also the multiplayer isn't even in the top 15 most played titles being beaten by games like GTA IV.

10-15 is right about where a game like this should be after all this time, it's not a Modern Warfare that ranks in the top 3 for years.[/QUOTE]

Also, Activision is EXTREMELY strict on what retailers can discount the game to. That's the biggest reason the games don't go down in price. They want an old-ass game to be $40 instead of heavily discounted, then that impacts the used cost because used is just a little less than new these days.

The KmartGamer thread was interesting to hear how and why they couldn't do many game deals on COD games, by edict of Activision. Another reason to not be thrilled with their business practices.

is bestbuy pricematching newegg? i remember there being talk on here of bestbuy matching online sites. If so, @gamer has a $15 off for Gears 3...

edit: or if they pricematch amazon, its only $15 there.

Game value in general, in the eyes of consumers, are dropping due to downloadable and free to play games. Console games sales have declined 12 consecutive months with November's numbers. Down 11% year over year. The console industry is essentially dying a slow death.

[quote name='Stele']Game value in general, in the eyes of consumers, are dropping due to downloadable and free to play games. Console games sales have declined 12 consecutive months with November's numbers. Down 11% year over year. The console industry is essentially dying a slow death.[/QUOTE]

I could be mistaken, but I don't think those figures include DLC, which does play a larger role these days. Also, the Games on Demand/Digital game purchases are going up. While console gaming is trending downward, we're also 6-7 years into the existing console's lifecycle. I'm quite confident that if a PS4 and 720 come out next year, there will be a strong bounceback. Don't forget the revenue from subscription services like Live or PS+ either. There is money out there, it's just not as much as there was in the past couple years.

I don't think there is any death on consoles. People said PC gaming was dying/dead, and as any PC snob worth their videocard would immediately inform us, PC gaming is still quite alive.

[quote name='Stele']Game value in general, in the eyes of consumers, are dropping due to downloadable and free to play games. Console games sales have declined 12 consecutive months with November's numbers. Down 11% year over year. The console industry is essentially dying a slow death.[/QUOTE]

Your first sentence is awesome. Your last sentence is depressing. It's interesting because I was just thinking that this may be the last crop of consoles I'll be buying games for since mobile games have exploded; many are XBLA or PSN quality for only 99 cents. It's not hard to see how it's happening.

It's certainly shrinking but never dying, COD gets about 1 billion dollars per release on consoles, and other games CERTAINLY make profits, wait till Q1 2013 TONS of new games coming out, and just because people are buying less that doesn't mean it wont level out eventually. Remember... we used to buy junk games for full msrp when we were kids... now we're more savy and wait for deals, and alot of ppl do the "gonna wait for the GOTY for $20" but its still profitable for the company. Considering how well the companies are doing in THIS economy, it's safe to say they will be arround a long time.

[quote name='whitereflection']Your first sentence is awesome. Your last sentence is depressing. It's interesting because I was just thinking that this may be the last crop of consoles I'll be buying games for since mobile games have exploded; many are XBLA or PSN quality for only 99 cents. It's not hard to see how it's happening.[/QUOTE]

If your a PC gamer I can understand even if I don't agree, but otherwise theres just toooo many worthwile games to play. If you get a $30 game and spend 50 hours on it, thats 60 cents an hour, go somewhere else and find me that much entertainment for so little, I got no qualms spending a couple extra bucks for something that I will enjoy for that long, also sure don't buy on psn or XBLA if u can get a game on mobile for that price, but still lets be honest, say what we will but when the PS4 XBOX720 come out we will throw our $ at them eventually, maybe after a pricedrop or a deal somewhere... but eventually...

[quote name='berzirk']I could be mistaken, but I don't think those figures include DLC, which does play a larger role these days. Also, the Games on Demand/Digital game purchases are going up. While console gaming is trending downward, we're also 6-7 years into the existing console's lifecycle. I'm quite confident that if a PS4 and 720 come out next year, there will be a strong bounceback. Don't forget the revenue from subscription services like Live or PS+ either. There is money out there, it's just not as much as there was in the past couple years.

I don't think there is any death on consoles. People said PC gaming was dying/dead, and as any PC snob worth their videocard would immediately inform us, PC gaming is still quite alive.[/QUOTE]
Let's just say DLC revenue comes nowhere close to making up for revenue declines in physical game sales. Games go on sale for a reason, and it's usually not because they're selling like hot cakes. The market is gravitating toward episodic and social games. In the end, mind share is mind share. You spend an hour playing $0.99 Angry Birds, that's the same hour for a $60 Halo 4. Smartphones are very much a category killer. Camera, GPS, music players, and now videogames. In less than 5 years, nearly all smartphones will have HD-capable projectors. They're a little expensive right now at $30/unit, so most smartphone manufacturers haven't adopted them, but prices will come down. That essentially solves the screen problem for tablets and smartphones. Consoles will have no place in this world.

BTW, traditional videogame companies are doing "horribly" in THIS economy, so I'm not sure what the point of that comment was.

[quote name='Stele']Let's just say DLC revenue comes nowhere close to making up for revenue declines in physical game sales. Games go on sale for a reason, and it's usually not because they're selling like hot cakes. The market is gravitating toward episodic and social games. In the end, mind share is mind share. You spend an hour playing $0.99 Angry Birds, that's the same hour for a $60 Halo 4. Smartphones are very much a category killer. Camera, GPS, music players, and now videogames. In less than 5 years, nearly all smartphones will have HD-capable projectors. They're a little expensive right now at $30/unit, so most smartphone manufacturers haven't adopted them, but prices will come down. That essentially solves the screen problem for tablets and smartphones. Consoles will have no place in this world.

BTW, traditional videogame companies are doing "horribly" in THIS economy, so I'm not sure what the point of that comment was.[/QUOTE]

Handhelds are what should be shaking in their boots. If you could be playing a Vita or your iPhone, those are more likely fighting over the same "mind-share". I'm never sitting at home, kids asleep, and think to myself, hmm, should I play a AAA console title, or Angry Birds. Welp, Angry Birds it is. I'm playing crappy little mobile games when I'm at the airport, waiting for an appointment, on the road. Maybe that is happening frequently with people outside of my social circles, so I wouldn't claim to say a majority of people are like that, but the mobile experience is nothing like a console or a PC one.

Also, the demographic is shifting. Gamers are older. As you get older, you assume more responsibilities. Family, job, etc. Because of that, I seldom pay full price for a game, I wait a few months and grab it for 25% less. I have the disposable income to afford games, so I can buy them on deals and create a backlog.

Even if phones in 5 years will have an HD projector, unless they have a better input method, you're not going to be playing advanced games by "tap here", "drag to reload"? What, you'll carry a controller with you everywhere? OK...then it's no longer truly a mobile game, you're packing around an Xbox controller with you.

I think the hardware is mildly stale, we're seeing sequels and franchises be successful while new IP does not do as well. I blame the consumers in a lot of ways. They are voting with their dollars, but I think they're making some very uninformed votes. A new COD each year? Really? Well, people are buying them. Madden every year? Hunh...OK. Games that push the boundaries, or try, but come up slightly short, are blasted on blogs and gaming sites, and with all those voices, can never succeed in the modern metacritic era.

Baller Beats. FANTASTIC game, but the reviewers all say it sucks because they can't bounce a basketball, or they live in some two story shitty apartment. That doesn't mean the game fails. It means they aren't the target market. Borderlands 1? That was a huge leap. They went to cell shaded graphics, they tried a grand co-op scheme and succeeded. There are hits and misses, but there are lots of good games that get overlooked, because the consumers are lazy, and don't search for them. Not every game can have $10M advertising budgets.

I don't think consoles are dying, I think they are at the end of the current hardware cycle, they have become entertainment boxes, not just gaming devices, and are more entrenched in our living rooms than our bedrooms, which is an historical shift.

Gears 3 was a triumphant return to Gears 1 in that the online is top notch and the maps are brilliant. Better than 99.9% of all MP games.

[quote name='scaryice']Newegg hasn't had a preorder deal for a while now, right?[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering about that, myself. I hope that they didn't completely stop. I sorta liked the $10 and $12 off codes. :)

[quote name='Bosamba']Discounted prices and/or promo codes are valid till 01/02/2013.
All of the following :shipfree: from Newegg.com

:ps3: Sorecry $9.99
[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, good ol' Sorecry. I didn't realize they made a sequel to Herpes: The Game...

[quote name='sublime4927']Ahhh, good ol' Sorecry. I didn't realize they made a sequel to Herpes: The Game...[/QUOTE]

Hahaha!, good one.:applause:

bread's done
Back