Gears of War 3 - Release Date Sept. 20

I'm about to try and setup an Insane Campaign game. If people want to play send me message. I'd prefer it to be Arcade so that we can use Super Reload and Instagib.

Amen 7th. I'm trying my best to tolerate this bullshit because it's Gears. I love it and there is nothing else that comes close to it, but after GoW 2 I shouldn't have a drop left in my care cup. I'm pretty close to selling this after I reach 100 and unlock Prescott unless they do something about the connection issues and the Sawed-off shotgun. Any game after 10:30pm EST is nearly unplayable because of P2P against full teams. One I can deal with but not both. Not again. I don't mind taking a loss or fighting to remain positive because I openly acknowledge the risk of playing with randoms. All I ask for is an even playing field but when people deliberately cheat death making terrible decisions they should pay for in consecutive games I lose all enthusiasm for rising to the occasion. Why bother? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a classic playlist or SOS nerf of some kind though I can't imagine what more they could do to the gun without rendering it useless. A playlist without it would make everyone happy.

I'm going to try waiting it out a bit longer until the next TU/patch is released. Hopefully I hold out that long. I just hate feeling like I have to restrict myself to two weapons because I haven't the slightest idea when my on or off server until the game starts.

Didn't beat the game on Insane. The Final Boss is just too much in 4-player co-op. They clearly didn't QA that level all that much. It probably fell into the COD4 Mile High Club of game design where it only has to be done 1 time in order for it to stay. I might try it in Single Player because I've heard it's so much easier there. But with 4 people, it's really impossible.

That bad, huh? Did you host or let someone else on an easier difficulty? I guess I lucked out more than I realized hoping in a game where the battle was just finishing up on Insane difficulty and still got the credit. If you need help send me a FR. God knows I could use a break from MP.

[quote name='KingBroly']Didn't beat the game on Insane. The Final Boss is just too much in 4-player co-op. They clearly didn't QA that level all that much. It probably fell into the COD4 Mile High Club of game design where it only has to be done 1 time in order for it to stay. I might try it in Single Player because I've heard it's so much easier there. But with 4 people, it's really impossible.[/QUOTE]

Me and my friends beat Insane last night in 4 man Co-op with Arcade mutators for the super reload and infinite ammo. The trick is to shoot all the grapple hooks off as the enemies will eventually stop appearing (or at least that is what happened with our game).

[quote name='KingBroly']Didn't beat the game on Insane. The Final Boss is just too much in 4-player co-op. They clearly didn't QA that level all that much. It probably fell into the COD4 Mile High Club of game design where it only has to be done 1 time in order for it to stay. I might try it in Single Player because I've heard it's so much easier there. But with 4 people, it's really impossible.[/QUOTE]

Me and my friends beat Insane last night in 4 man Co-op with Arcade mutators for the super reload and infinite ammo. The trick is
to shoot all the grapple hooks off as the enemies will eventually stop appearing (or at least that is what happened with our game).

I dont know why it tells me that my MP character wont be loaded this round, and gives me marcus, even though ive been playing for the last 4+ matches in a row without finding a new game.

Used that Guide Renzokuken, and it worked like a charm. Once I got the final part, got it on my 5th try. I only failed once, but that was definitely due to a bad Active Reload.

Wow disgusting, i played against a team that whooped our ass on Mercy, why? Because they all used SOS. This gun is the worst thing they did to the game. They didnt want gears 3 to be a gnasher fight like Gears 2, so they add a cheaper shotgun thats easy to kill people with. So now you dont have gnasher fights, you have SOS fights. Its really stupid too, you see a guy rush, SOS shot, misses, runs. The other team does the same shit back to him. Its so retarded. I just had a couple matches against this one kid who constantly used SOS and NOTHING ELSE. Like i said before, it wouldnt be so bad if people used it in certain times, but this is their MAIN GUN and use it all the time. This game is a lot of fun when you dont have SOS noobs rushing around or hiding behind a corner. When i do get a bunch i quit because its just stupid.

Also got to level 50, so all achievements unlocked except those 2 you cant get yet.

One last thing, has anyone who got the Gears 3 console having trouble with their play n charge kit? The last couple days it wont keep a charge long. I plug it in and sometimes its like its not even charging. Then sometimes it shows full bars, i unplug it and it needs recharging in 2 hours or less. IDK if the batteries dont work in the new controllers, or if the console itself might have a malfunction. It could just be my charge kit, ive had it for almost a year.

Like paying for MP skins? Get ready, there's a lot of them coming.

commando dom
mechanic baird
savage kantus
savage grenadier elite
big rig dizzy
minh
savage cyclops
savage bolter
onyx theron
savage hunter
farmer dom
raam
bai tak
armored kantus
pendulum marcus
bernie
thrashball drone
bolter
skorge
pendulum bernie
d. carmine
barrick
palace guard
gold armor raam
tai
pendulum hoffman
michaelson
alex brand

Sorry if some of these are already in game, I can't remember all of them. Just posted the ones that looked unfamiliar to me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Methocide

The guy shows off all these characters as bots in multiplayer. He says part of them are in this season pass, and there will be another season pass next year that will include more. I'm guessing he didn't show footage so that it wouldn't get taken down.

What a joke.

[quote name='Trakan']Like paying for MP skins? Get ready, there's a lot of them coming.

commando dom
mechanic baird
savage kantus
savage grenadier elite
big rig dizzy
minh
savage cyclops
savage bolter
onyx theron
savage hunter
farmer dom
raam
bai tak
armored kantus
pendulum marcus
bernie
thrashball drone
bolter
skorge
pendulum bernie
d. carmine
barrick
palace guard
gold armor raam
tai
pendulum hoffman
michaelson
alex brand

Sorry if some of these are already in game, I can't remember all of them. Just posted the ones that looked unfamiliar to me.

The guy shows off all these characters as bots in multiplayer. He says part of them are in this season pass, and there will be another season pass next year that will include more. I'm guessing he didn't show footage so that it wouldn't get taken down.

What a joke.
[/QUOTE]
Wow...fucking greedy...people at Crapic & Micro$haft...

[quote name='Trakan']Like paying for MP skins? Get ready, there's a lot of them coming.

commando dom
mechanic baird
savage kantus
savage grenadier elite
big rig dizzy
minh
savage cyclops
savage bolter
onyx theron
savage hunter
farmer dom
raam
bai tak
armored kantus
pendulum marcus
bernie
thrashball drone
bolter
skorge
pendulum bernie
d. carmine
barrick
palace guard
gold armor raam
tai
pendulum hoffman
michaelson
alex brand

What a joke.
[/QUOTE]
I'll bet that there's no footage because the data isn't on the disc. The names are just there as placeholders, but the actual skins will have to be downloaded. It's also possible that some of these names are just tentative plans that won't be followed up on; it's not unusual for game code to contain traces of ideas that were later changed or discarded. But I agree that the most likely scenario is that all of these characters are planned for future DLC.

commando dom
mechanic baird
savage kantus
savage grenadier elite
big rig dizzy
minh
savage cyclops
savage bolter
onyx theron
savage hunter
farmer dom
raam
bai tak
armored kantus
pendulum marcus
bernie
thrashball drone
bolter
skorge
pendulum bernie
d. carmine
barrick
palace guard
gold armor raam
tai
pendulum hoffman
michaelson
alex brand

What a joke.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's terrible, but then again if people are stupid enough to pay for them then I don't have a lot of sympathy.

It won't be that bad if certain skins are included with map packs, but it's going to be fucking stupid if you have to pay just for skins. We shall see.....

By the way, am I reading correctly over the last couple pages that you can play Campaign/Horde with mutators turned on (super reload, infinite ammo, insta-gib) and it will still count towards the achievements (Campaign on Insane) & medals? If so, that's kinda cool.

Anyone who didn't expect Trakan's discovery after the weapon skin debacle is either a optimistic fanboy or a certified idiot. At this point I'm going to need to see some of the following implemented before I can justify the cost of any DLC:

- Reliable server status notification of ANY kind. How or why this is difficult for them to understand the necessity is beyond me. Your net code isn't perfect Epic. It never was and this "it's my game so deal with it" attitude is doing a wonderful job of alienating your core audience. You know... the people you USED to make games for? We still exist. We're still supporting you. Why can't you acknowledge that and understand some of us are getting royally screwed Gears 2 style? Throw us a bone. Jesus.

- A playlist without the Sawed-off Shotgun. Period. End of discussion. I don't care what is or isn't on it because I will play it. Guaranteed. The only people championing against this are the same idiots who can't perform without it and would get slaughtered playing on it. Fact. I'm fine with the gun outside of King of the Hill and laggy situations. I have no problem dealing with it. Now that I'm assigned under more player connections than ever since launch its existence is unacceptable. Give your core audience the chance to enjoy your game without fear of being harassed by an out of control crutch weapon that becomes stripped of all consequence off server. It's not perfect or balanced in that regard Epic. It's time you realized some of the complaints surrounding the gun are credible.

- The Stop Thief! ribbon decreasing from 5 to 1 - 3 kills since they'll NEVER award the actual killer what we really want - the damn kill. Both the number as well the requirements of the in-game unlocks are laughably ridiculous in game. The last thing I want is to level up faster at this point. My 100 is guaranteed. What I- no, f*ck want. What I DESERVE is my f*cking kill. Especially in situations like earlier this morning where the game was so filled to the brim with so many pockets of lag I couldn't roll off cover without teleporting back onto it.

I'm on DLC strike until more information trickles down the pipeline or some serious changes occur. I can't wait for RAGE next week. I'm hoping that will take my mind off how quickly this game have turned into unplayable garbage. Such a shame.

commando dom
mechanic baird
savage kantus
savage grenadier elite
big rig dizzy
minh
savage cyclops
savage bolter
onyx theron
savage hunter
farmer dom
raam
bai tak
armored kantus
pendulum marcus
bernie
thrashball drone
bolter
skorge
pendulum bernie
d. carmine
barrick
palace guard
gold armor raam
tai
pendulum hoffman
michaelson
alex brand

What a joke.
[/QUOTE]

Welp, it looks like once I get to 50 I'll sell this and get the GOTY edition with all the DLC.

I must be really fucking lucky or something, but i was in a Gnasher-SOS battle on trenches, and I took 2 shots from about 3 feet away from the SOS and was still standing, and maybe 1/2 of my screen was red. The poor guy tried to run but my superior Gnasher can shoot farther than a yard :D

For me, people w/ the SOS tick me off, but many hours of Gears 1 and 2 have exponentially improved my overall skill with the Gnasher. Most of the time i get into one of those double-kill scenarios where both my enemy and I die at the same time. It's total BS, especially when i kill him first and then I die about half a second later, but it's better than downing the guy and dying.

Hopefully RAAM and Tai, and any other characters we already had unlocked in the previous games will be free to those of us who already unlocked them.... I can't imagine having to pay for those characters that I unlocked Gears 1 and 2... or them trying to make me pay.

[quote name='Kevfactor']have to say arcade on insane and co-op is really fun :)

i did the campaign solo on arcade the 1st time and it felt to easy[/QUOTE]

Wait until the Final Boss on Insane and you won't be saying it's fun. No sir.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']First, why call it the DBS and not the Sawed-Off / SO? Seems weird.

Second, I really don't think that the SO is all that great. Conversely, I'd say it is significantly inferior to the Gnasher. All the SO is effectively capable of is extremely close-range one shot kills. The Gnasher, on the other hand, can get easy (not quite AS easy, but easy nonetheless) one shot kills, zone from close & medium range and has an 8 shot clip. It's a much harder gun to combat against when a good player is using it.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

It amuses me to see all these people complaining about the sawed-off, as if the Gnasher is somehow more fair and less cheap.

Shotguns, in general, ruin this game, but I'd much rather play a match full of sawed offs than gnashers; at least the long reload time leaves them extremely vulnerable to a team sticking together - I much prefer that than a bunch of rolly polly gnasher dancing all match.

Either way, BF3 can't come soon enough to rescue me from shotguns of war.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It amuses me to see all these people complaining about the sawed-off, as if the Gnasher is somehow more fair and less cheap.[/QUOTE]

A gnasher IS LESS CHEAP. Just the fact that you have to aim it right on someone to get it to hit. SOS takes no aiming, you could be looking to the right or left of someone and still insta kill them. If you did the same thing with a gnasher you would totally miss them. At least if i get killed by a gnasher i feel like it was legit. Getting killed by a SOS is just bullshit because it takes 0 skill and rewards players with bad aiming. This game isnt shotguns of war either, if it wasnt for SOS i think rifles dominate the game. Its just the sad fact that many people use SOS as a MAIN WEAPON, because they die die die if they dont use it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']A gnasher IS LESS CHEAP. Just the fact that you have to aim it right on someone to get it to hit. SOS takes no aiming, you could be looking to the right or left of someone and still insta kill them. If you did the same thing with a gnasher you would totally miss them. At least if i get killed by a gnasher i feel like it was legit. Getting killed by a SOS is just bullshit because it takes 0 skill and rewards players with bad aiming. This game isnt shotguns of war either, if it wasnt for SOS i think rifles dominate the game. Its just the sad fact that many people use SOS as a MAIN WEAPON, because they die die die if they dont use it.[/QUOTE]

Why are you consistently letting enemy players get so ridiculously close to you?

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Why are you consistently letting enemy players get so ridiculously close to you?[/QUOTE]
That doesn't take people who camp at a corner into consideration. In games of Team Deathmatch, Warzone, Execution and King of the Hill the constantly moving pace of those games allows for players to camp and hold a corner where they can just jump out or even blind fire and get a kill with that gun.

I do agree that the shotguns in this game are still unbalanced, but I don't think it's fair to completely ignore the constant abuse of a gun that kills an enemy in a 180 degree spread.

And I really don't want to point this out, but it's a warning; apparently the flaming weapon skin for the sawed-off does not have the frontal LED light. I'm unable to verify this, I've just been reading it on the Gears Forums. Hopefully this gets addressed if it's true.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Why are you consistently letting enemy players get so ridiculously close to you?[/QUOTE]

Because they rush 2-3 at a time and i cant shoot them all at once. Sometimes i shoot them with a lancer and the stopping power does not work. Its easy to say dont let them get close, but the game isnt 1 vs 1. Not to mention the BS times i die from 5 feet away from a sawed off. When its supposed to be melee range.

You can probably beat horde on insane by yourself during the ticker event, playing on Drydock. There are those skinny metal planks you can get on that go left to right when you first start, and you can jump on them when you are on the top near sniper, or half way up the stairs near one shot. Tickers wont be able to get you from there.

[quote name='The 7th Number']A gnasher IS LESS CHEAP. Just the fact that you have to aim it right on someone to get it to hit. SOS takes no aiming, you could be looking to the right or left of someone and still insta kill them. If you did the same thing with a gnasher you would totally miss them. At least if i get killed by a gnasher i feel like it was legit. Getting killed by a SOS is just bullshit because it takes 0 skill and rewards players with bad aiming. This game isnt shotguns of war either, if it wasnt for SOS i think rifles dominate the game. Its just the sad fact that many people use SOS as a MAIN WEAPON, because they die die die if they dont use it.[/QUOTE]
Hasn't that been the complaint on the gnasher for the 2 iterations before this one. Switch to gnasher, shoot at beginning, run to area with all guys, click active reload, roll, headshot, shot, shot, etc. They don't call it Shotguns of War for nothing.

[quote name='the Ebbtide']That doesn't take people who camp at a corner into consideration. In games of Team Deathmatch, Warzone, Execution and King of the Hill the constantly moving pace of those games allows for players to camp and hold a corner where they can just jump out or even blind fire and get a kill with that gun. [/quote]
Excuses. Get a grenade. Flush them out.

Still having a blast and don't get the majority of the complaints (except for the spawns in TDM).

According to Raptr, I've put 30 hours into this already, which is insane for someone like me. I think it's great, and if I had this many complaints, I'd stop playing. I don't get when people get so upset by a game but continue to play it.

Different strokes I guess.

I only complain because i love gears, and IMO the game would be perfect if the SOS was taken out. It really breaks the game, and changes the MP from a solid skillful game, into a rushing/hiding SOS noobfest. Im not going to stop playing it over the SOS, because i tend to get games where hardly anyone is using the SOS and those games are a blast. It just gets really old and annoying when you see all opponents using SOS, and teammates switching to SOS the second they spawn. When i see that kind of stuff i quit out and find a new match.

Just got my 5th onyx medal.
- Beat Horde on Insane
- 1000 fortification modifications
- 7500000 total points in arcade mode
- complete arcade chapters on insane
- complete campaign on insane

Id really like to get a few guys together and beat beast on insane soon. You get an onyx medal and the Savage Theron Guard for MP if you beat it on insane.

I dont even know why i wear my headset, hardly anyone talks in MP, its crazy. Coming from playing black ops where you almost always get a few people talking.

I'll play Beast Mode on Insane if you need another player. I really want to see what it's like, as normal ends to quickly.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I only complain because i love gears, and IMO the game would be perfect if the SOS was taken out. It really breaks the game, and changes the MP from a solid skillful game, into a rushing/hiding SOS noobfest. Im not going to stop playing it over the SOS, because i tend to get games where hardly anyone is using the SOS and those games are a blast. It just gets really old and annoying when you see all opponents using SOS, and teammates switching to SOS the second they spawn. When i see that kind of stuff i quit out and find a new match.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ...why don't they take all of the guns out? They all shoot metal things that sting and hurt and they're all totally overpowered!

[quote name='dotCody']Jesus Christ...why don't they take all of the guns out? They all shoot metal things that sting and hurt and they're all totally overpowered![/QUOTE]

i second this

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with 7th number on this. I really hate the sawed off and think it breaks a lot of what makes the multiplayer fun. It just feels like there is no skill with the gun. Say what you will about the gnasher but it does require skill to be truly effective with it. I hate that my aggressiveness is tempered because the camper has the advantage on me because of that piece of shit gun.

If they made a classic gears 1 playlist where everyone has the same loadout and pickups don't change it would make this game perfect.

I don't hate the SO as much as most (maybe because I use it a lot especially if I don't feel like thinking lol). if an enemy fucks up and reloads I usually down them with a lancer as they run away. The gnasher is cheap, just not as much as the SO. The only time I attempt to aim is if someone is moving away from the center of the screen (or to finish off a down).

Ink, how is your connection? According to the xbox network screen I have one bar (ranges from 1 to 3 but have only seen 1 since Summer). I think you're a better player from the one or two times I played Gears 2 with you. I haven't gone near ranked yet, still waiting for a party or my friend for wingman.

7th, you have a mic? I don't recall ever hearing you when we played Gears 2. maybe because I would msg you back since I don't do vm.

oh I had my first (real) horde playthrough. went from 1-50 on Sandbar (not a good map for it since it takes too long). a CAG hosted and his friend was there too. another CAG joined later and some other guy. No lamben beserkers.

That's what I thought. Oh well. Next question does the online pass give you all the weapon skins or is it just for future DLC?

[quote name='sendme']That's what I thought. Oh well. Next question does the online pass give you all the weapon skins or is it just for future DLC?[/QUOTE]

Online pass only gives you 1 set of weapon skins as a bonus for buying it and gives you 4 select future DLC items. It will probably be 2 map packs, a set of Player Skins and maybe a deleted scene or some other random DLC. The first one will be the 3 maps pack in November.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']7th, you have a mic? I don't recall ever hearing you when we played Gears 2. maybe because I would msg you back since I don't do vm.[/QUOTE]

I dont usually use a mic, but if its friends i know i will. I never send voice messages lol.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I only complain because i love gears, and IMO the game would be perfect if the SOS was taken out. It really breaks the game, and changes the MP from a solid skillful game, into a rushing/hiding SOS noobfest. Im not going to stop playing it over the SOS, because i tend to get games where hardly anyone is using the SOS and those games are a blast. It just gets really old and annoying when you see all opponents using SOS, and teammates switching to SOS the second they spawn. When i see that kind of stuff i quit out and find a new match.

Just got my 5th onyx medal.
- Beat Horde on Insane
- 1000 fortification modifications
- 7500000 total points in arcade mode
- complete arcade chapters on insane
- complete campaign on insane

Id really like to get a few guys together and beat beast on insane soon. You get an onyx medal and the Savage Theron Guard for MP if you beat it on insane.

I dont even know why i wear my headset, hardly anyone talks in MP, its crazy. Coming from playing black ops where you almost always get a few people talking.[/QUOTE]

Surprised you'd have the Points in Arcade, but not Doorman. What's your secret?

I'm currently at 6 Onyx Medals:
- Beast Mode Insane (With you, almost did it with only 4 people on Trenches)
- Horde Mode Insane
- Arcade Insane
- Campaign Insane
- 1000 Fornications
- 2000 Objects Modified

Also, the Cluckshot IS the best weapon in the game. It shoots a Chicken that explodes into 6 more Chickens that also explode.

[quote name='KingBroly']Surprised you'd have the Points in Arcade, but not Doorman. What's your secret?[/QUOTE]

Keep doing Act 2 chapter 7 on hardcore with mutators...no ammo pickups, must active reload, and enemies regenerate health for multiplication bonuses. I can do it usually with 9 or 10 x in the end. Just depends on if the reavers hit me or not after i sink the last ship. Usually get around 130,000 - 180,000 points. But i played the whole campaign in arcade on insane so that might have helped with a big chunk. I wish i had a turbo controller for the 2000 Objects Modified.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Keep doing Act 2 chapter 7 on hardcore with mutators...no ammo pickups, must active reload, and enemies regenerate health for multiplication bonuses. I can do it usually with 9 or 10 x in the end. Just depends on if the reavers hit me or not after i sink the last ship. Usually get around 130,000 - 180,000 points. But i played the whole campaign in arcade on insane so that might have helped with a big chunk. I wish i had a turbo controller for the 2000 Objects Modified.[/QUOTE]

Arcade Stick/Fightpad perhaps?

I might try that later. I need to get 20 more Force Multiplier Medals for the Silver one. Sheesh, some of these are terri-bad.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Are you guys going for Seriously?[/QUOTE]

Im not really going after it. But ill get the onxy medals that im close to getting, or are easy to get. Im specifically using lancer mostly because i want to get an onyx gun skin for it, but im not going to sit in private matches killing bots over and over just to get it. I only have 739 kills with the lancer, since it only seems to count in MP, which is stupid. You need 6,000 kills to unlock the skin. They should have made it in any mode. But like others have said, getting vengeful medal is going to be the hardest of them all. I have 0/75 right now. They need to fix that so its counts if its a nemesis you kill 5 times, or he kills you 5 times. The way it works now is you have to die 5 times and then execute him for it to count.

[quote name='seanr1221']Still having a blast and don't get the majority of the complaints (except for the spawns in TDM).[/QUOTE]

Word!

I use the sawed off and I get killed by it too. But there are methods to stopping them, keep your eyes open, watch your surroundings as much as you can, listen for footsteps...etc. It's a power weapon, but it has it's flaws just like the others.

bread's done
Back