Gears Of War: Judgment - Lost Relics DLC out now VIP - 6/25 for Non VIP

Because they want everyone to complete at least 1 event. The Event thing was sooooo stupid. It's worse than Seriously 3.0 to be honest. They should've just made them "ribbon_name #" and just getting you another after each time you play. But no, Epic had to be lazy as fuck about it.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Yeah they automatically boosted everyone to 29/30 events since it's been such a clusterfuck for people attempting to get the achievement and figure out what events they need.[/QUOTE]
Oh cool also just got the achievement they reset the count for boom and snipes for me.

As someone who got Socialite legit by actually playing the first 30 events, I would appreciate it if the next thing they do is unlock 64 Onyx medals for everybody. ;)

The same game Epic finally decides to make an Alex Brand skin for is the very same I wouldn't buy if my life depended on it.

Typical.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']The same game Epic finally decides to make an Alex Brand skin for is the very same I wouldn't buy if my life depended on it.

Typical.[/QUOTE]
I'm in the same boat I'm only renting this and I'm a huge GOW fan.

i only buy these games for the single-player...and no aspect of the single-player ever rivaled the perfection of gow 1...gow 1 had this feeling as though you were always being outnumbered; you saw a horde of locust and fought off an invasion that seemed insurmountable...i still remember fighting in vain near that "gas station," which was an incredibly epic (no pun intended) fight.... shift this to gow 2 where you saw an immense firefight in the background that was only resolved through helicopters outside of your control, and add the "revive" me feature which basically made you immortal, and the single-player lost it's magic.....

cliffy noticed more than 40% of players never finished the single-player campaign of gow2, and he mistakenly seemed to think it was because the games were too difficult...when in reality, gow managed to capture part of the CoD demographic that also rarely manages to finish the campaign, unless incentivized to do so...

I have a feeling those Hammerburst codes will just be in new copies. I can't see them withholding a weapon from the multiplayer community, and charging people for a weapon on XBL seems ridiculous. Maybe I'm wrong, though. New step for greed; buy weapons for the multiplayer or be slaughtered online.

I am glad they brought it back, but they're going back on things they previously stated;
-Hammerburst 1.0 essentially never existed. It was always the Hammerburst 2.0.
-Alex Brand will never be in a Gears of War game.

Also, Anya's in her Gears of War 3 outfit, which is why she looks the same. Judgment multiplayer videos already have shown Marcus in his Gears of War 3 attire, so a younger Anya skin could exist.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']I have a feeling those Hammerburst codes will just be in new copies. I can't see them withholding a weapon from the multiplayer community, and charging people for a weapon on XBL seems ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
Or it just unlocks at level 10 or something and the preorder bonus is "early access."

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Or it just unlocks at level 10 or something and the preorder bonus is "early access."[/QUOTE]
That'd be fine as well. Just so long as they don't lock it out to players who came into the game later. Clearly it's on disc if other players can see you using it, so I don't like the idea of a key weapon being locked away from people.

I hope it's available in the Campaign. And I hope there's a classic (future?) Baird skin.

Weird to see Marcus without his facial scar. He looks 'better' without it.

[quote name='strayfoxx']i only buy these games for the single-player...and no aspect of the single-player ever rivaled the perfection of gow 1...gow 1 had this feeling as though you were always being outnumbered; you saw a horde of locust and fought off an invasion that seemed insurmountable...i still remember fighting in vain near that "gas station," which was an incredibly epic (no pun intended) fight.... shift this to gow 2 where you saw an immense firefight in the background that was only resolved through helicopters outside of your control, and add the "revive" me feature which basically made you immortal, and the single-player lost it's magic.....

cliffy noticed more than 40% of players never finished the single-player campaign of gow2, and he mistakenly seemed to think it was because the games were too difficult...when in reality, gow managed to capture part of the CoD demographic that also rarely manages to finish the campaign, unless incentivized to do so...[/QUOTE]

I feel you... but I will not give up on Epic or Gears of War. It still holds my attention over all the other crap that's out...(CoD never has a good story they are a MP hit. Halo Story is to far out there for me to get down with..) so I'm Cashing out on GEARS!!! Hands down still the best game (IMO) so to each his own.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Still no word on how to get the Alex Brand skin?

ETA: Just checked Microsoft Store and apparently that's how.[/QUOTE]

Best buy doesnt even show pre order skin, and walmart doesnt even have the game listed. They were both in the pre order skin business for gears 3, so id assume one of them also would have alex brand. Still hope this anya skin is not the same as her Gears 3 skin. I want all characters to fit the timeline.

Gamestop = Young Marcus
Amazon = Young Dom
Microsoft = Alex Brand
???????? = Anya

[quote name='The 7th Number']Best buy doesnt even show pre order skin, and walmart doesnt even have the game listed. They were both in the pre order skin business for gears 3, so id assume one of them also would have alex brand. Still hope this anya skin is not the same as her Gears 3 skin. I want all characters to fit the timeline.

Gamestop = Young Marcus
Amazon = Young Dom
Microsoft = Alex Brand
???????? = Anya[/QUOTE]

Best Buy has Anya, pretty sure I read that somewhere. It would be nice if they decided to go with a redesigned Anya instead of the exact same skin from Gears 3. And that's not outside the realm of possibility-- apparently some fans on the Epic forums noted that Alex's tattoos and scars in the released pics didn't match her look in the comics, and an admin responded that those pics weren't final and she would be redesigned.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Best Buy has Anya, pretty sure I read that somewhere. It would be nice if they decided to go with a redesigned Anya instead of the exact same skin from Gears 3. And that's not outside the realm of possibility-- apparently some fans on the Epic forums noted that Alex's tattoos and scars in the released pics didn't match her look in the comics, and an admin responded that those pics weren't final and she would be redesigned.[/QUOTE]
They(BB) do have her pic with the game on their site.

yeah i see it now, on BB it shows the gears 3 anya and says it in the details. Guess walmart would get alex brand then. Ill be ordering it from there.

Well, I guess the big news today is that DBNO and Executions aren't just absent from the new Free For All mode, but rather DBNO has been completely eliminated from all the online modes.

Source

Honestly, I'm pretty devastated by this. To me, DBNO was one of the things that made Gears what it is. Being able to crawl away and try to revive yourself or allow time for a teammate to revive you is part of what made Gears so intense. I also feel as though this takes away a lot of the teamwork, since you wont even be able to revive teammates.

I guess I'll wait and see how it feels when I play it, but as I said, I'm extremely disappointed.

Well concerning DBNO, they stated in gears 3 hardly no one used executions. Maybe because there really is no time to do it unless its the last guy left. Also when you are DBNO good luck if your teammate helps you up. I always try to help people up, but in Gears 3 they are pretty much dead before you can even react to them needing a revive, even if you are 2 feet away. Half the time you revive them they get shot down while you are reviving them, so sometimes its pointless.

I think it takes away from what makes gears stand out on its own, but it should speed up gameplay. Stop people from bitching about kills being stolen, not really like i cared two bits about that to be honest.

Yeah, I think they said only 0.2% of the kills were executions, but I don't understand how they use that to come to the conclusion that DBNO is worthless. I'd say the vast majority of kills on DBNO players are just regular melee or a shotgun blast. I don't really care that executions are gone, but I think I'm going to really miss DBNO.

The thing that I'm really dreading is the assault rifles. They were pretty bad in Gears 3 and that was with the downing. Now that downing is gone, I have to assume the assault rifles are going to be the choice weapon from now on considering you can pick people off from a distance and actually get a kill rather than a down. I guess I'm old school, but I play Gears for the Gnasher battles and I really don't want to see that aspect of the game go by the wayside.

Keeps sounding less like a Gears of War game. Explains why so many of the heads of the series left.

And the previous videos of Overrun Mode presented the medic being useful for reviving fallen teammates. How are you going to be useful if you're just going to have to guess where to throw your health grenades?

[quote name='I OU a Beatn']I guess I'm old school, but I play Gears for the Gnasher battles and I really don't want to see that aspect of the game go by the wayside.[/QUOTE]

WARNING: RANT INCOMING -
Cliff already saw to that when he prioritized "tactical play" and COD sales figures over everything else in Gears 3. Retro, Sawed-off, obscenely buffed ARs, rifle/camp accommodating map design where any team could get permanently spawn trapped for the entire match, etc. He was always in denial as to why a solid chunk of the core fanbase played and loved Gears MP in the first place. If some part of him ever enjoyed the CQC emphasis which differentiated the franchise from every other shooter the Gnasher wouldn't have been nerfed to hell and back in the first place. Until the third game came along GoW had stood strong as the only available skill based CQC shooter that actually embraced functional shotguns.

...Now? It's just another bland vanilla run of the mill TPS where anyone can be successful if they blind fire strafe or camp behind a wall with a rifle because shotguns are only supposed to be effective occasionally.

I mean... damn. When a person like me who loathed the Lancer notices a couple months after launch that it accounts for more than 60% of my total global kills there's something terrible off in the drinking water. The way the game played unless your connection was godly you absolutely HAD to main a rifle to remain competitive in almost every game type. It got to the point where I could down people faster blindfiring with an active Lancer with no accuracy penalties to speak of than anything else.

Now tell me... how is that not silly?

Why should I bother using a Gnasher when the Sawed-off users I'm fighting is going to sponge through all of my shots before he closes the gap to kill me? Why should I bother trying to flank with a Gnasher when every map has a million pieces of dominate cover and vantage points to pin me down before I get within 10 feet of my target? What's the point of wallbouncing a Retro or Lancer user when their blind fire is better than mine 7 times out of 10? So many obstacles for a Gnasher user to overcome people STILL have the nerve to blame all of their shortcomings on this weapon? ...Please.

The learning curve that literally took me years to get over was abolished instantaneously. Ending games 20+ - 5 no longer gave you a rewarding rush of adrenaline and accomplishment that kept you flying high for the rest of the night. 9 times out of 10 you knew exactly the when, what, how and why behind your success and weren't happy about it. Sadly only one of many contributing factors that permanently sent me packing from Gears.

For anyone who enjoys the current iteration of Gears? More power to you. I'm just not stupid enough to believe there's any place for players like me in the IP. Probably because that would require the developer to the admit the franchise is long over due for completely brand new netcode wrote for it among a long list of plenty of issues they clearly won't bother addressing properly.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Keeps sounding less like a Gears of War game. Explains why so many of the heads of the series left.

And the previous videos of Overrun Mode presented the medic being useful for reviving fallen teammates. How are you going to be useful if you're just going to have to guess where to throw your health grenades?[/QUOTE]

Epic clarifies lack of 'Down But Not Out' in Gears of War: Judgment multiplayer modes

DBNO definitely exists in Overrun, at least.

Yeah im still going to keep an open mind, maybe no DBNO will be good, make gameplay faster and more fun. But it does seem they are slowly turning this into another COD copy. I was hoping they would go backwards and make this game more like Gears 2 or even more like Gears 1. But it seems like they are going in the opposite direction. -_- Maybe the reason people are leaving Epic is because they cant make the game they want, they are being told to make it more appealing to casuals. All i know is they better have guardian game type from day one. I really could care less about overrun mode. Im buying the game mainly for campaign, hopefully guardian will be in this game. Id even like to see a return of Submission.

The campaign sounds interesting for the alternate options available. If it really is like they're saying and that it allows for multiple completions, and if it has a tone more like the first game, and not as outrageous as the sequels, it could be great. Even Raam's Shadow seemed more like a Gears of War game than the sequels, especially 3.

I think people left because Epic got a taste for money, and the guys who wanted to be more risky and creative were probably told no. Instead the company is going for the safe, redundant shooter game setup, with fast gameplay. It's crazy to think back to when Gears of War afforded you one life a round, with no crawling when downed. It felt so distinct, for me at least, but now it just feels like a series that's totally gone generic, and these information releases make me feel disappointment if this is really why several employees left.

I'm not really sure what it is about about this game that just makes me..not care lol

I enjoyed Gears 1 and 2 and thought part 3 was..ehh it was all right I guess.

But then this was announced and my face just was like -__- i just didnt care. I just cant seem to get excited to want to play this

[quote name='GameNChick']I'm not really sure what it is about about this game that just makes me..not care lol

I enjoyed Gears 1 and 2 and thought part 3 was..ehh it was all right I guess.

But then this was announced and my face just was like -__- i just didnt care. I just cant seem to get excited to want to play this[/QUOTE]
It's probably the disappointment with 3, mixed with how soon after 3 this game is being released. 3 just had so many missteps that even loyal fans had to not be satisfied in key areas. The lackluster and 'content' requiring dedicated servers, the inability to have your character when you join in a match, the removal of social horde, and having size varied hitboxes that Epic consistently denied, even when proven on video.

There's just a lot that wasn't right with the game, so releasing a new title so soon, and knowing it'll be $60 with an almost guaranteed additional fee(s) for map passes or individual packs, just makes the new title seem like a quick cash-in before next generation.

I do hope it will be good, but I'm just not seeing it from the trailers and news of key personnel from the series leaving.

Does anyone know any promo codes for the microsoft store? Its the only store that has the Alex Brand pre-order, but I don't wanna pay extra cash to have it delivered on release date.

gow_judgment.jpg

[quote name='The 7th Number']Im excited, i play gears mainly for the campaign, but ever since gears 2 ive been hooked to the mp as well.[/QUOTE]

I love Horde mode with a few friends. Hopefully it is good in this new version.

I stated this in another thread but I was gonna preorder Gears of War: Judgement, but according to Co-Optimus it doesn't support local Co-Op? Has this been confirmed? The reason why I love Gears so much is because of the local Co-Op. This would suck big time if true!

[quote name='Metal Militia']I stated this in another thread but I was gonna preorder Gears of War: Judgement, but according to Co-Optimus it doesn't support local Co-Op? Has this been confirmed? The reason why I love Gears so much is because of the local Co-Op. This would suck big time if true![/QUOTE]
I'd really like to doubt that since Gears of War 3 had local cooperative play, and this uses the same setup, essentially. But...they have removed a lot of what the previous entries had, so maybe this is true.

Bulletstorm had no local cooperative play, and that was a People Can Fly game. Maybe they just think so little of it to add it.

They should have just called this Bulletstorm of War. It would be a lot less misleading.

Gears of War: Judgement will include a free download card for the first Gears. Awesome!

"Now this is a very interesting initiative Epic Games is taking. They’re releasing the upcoming Gears of War Judgment, arriving exclusively on Xbox 360 on March 22nd, with a download code that allows players to download the first Gears of War absolutely free.

Being a prequel, Judgment will immediately segue into the conflict with the Locust that took place after the Pendulum Wars and help new players into the award-winning, multi-million selling franchise.

The evolution is quite interesting here. My allowing gamers to play the first game immediately after Judgment, players can go through an evolution of the series’ multiplayer up till Horde 2.0 and Beast Mode in the third game. The prequel won’t feature either of those modes, FYI.

Whether this will boost sales or not isn’t the concern, but it’s great to see Epic helping new gamers into the fold by allowing them a taste of what makes the franchise great."

Source: GameSurf

Hmmm. That's interesting and a very cool move. There doesn't seem to be much buzz about Judgement and I admit its fallen off my "gotta get" lost. Still, this is a cool move on their part.

Still have my Gears 1 disc, so doesnt matter to me. But it will be nice to have gears 1 on my hard drive i can just boot up without having to swap discs.

With that said, i would hate for someone who just got into gears to play Judgment and then go all the way back to clunky Gears 1. It would probably feel too outdated to them and they would quit. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='WV Matsui']Gears of War: Judgement will include a free download card for the first Gears. Awesome!

"Now this is a very interesting initiative Epic Games is taking. They’re releasing the upcoming Gears of War Judgment, arriving exclusively on Xbox 360 on March 22nd, with a download code that allows players to download the first Gears of War absolutely free.

Being a prequel, Judgment will immediately segue into the conflict with the Locust that took place after the Pendulum Wars and help new players into the award-winning, multi-million selling franchise.

The evolution is quite interesting here. My allowing gamers to play the first game immediately after Judgment, players can go through an evolution of the series’ multiplayer up till Horde 2.0 and Beast Mode in the third game. The prequel won’t feature either of those modes, FYI.

Whether this will boost sales or not isn’t the concern, but it’s great to see Epic helping new gamers into the fold by allowing them a taste of what makes the franchise great."

Source: GameSurf[/QUOTE]
I remember a website that was saying GOWJ a limited Ed. would come with a token to download GOW 1. but there has been no official news of any thing being offered but the standard Ed. of the game. So take it for what it's worth.

[quote name='The 7th Number']With that said, i would hate for someone who just got into gears to play Judgment and then go all the way back to clunky Gears 1. It would probably feel too outdated to them and they would quit. lol.[/QUOTE]
I would say the gameplay itself holds up pretty well, what's striking is how much more difficult it is than the sequels, even in Casual mode.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I would say the gameplay itself holds up pretty well, what's striking is how much more difficult it is than the sequels, even in Casual mode.[/QUOTE]

That too, it would probably feel really odd playing Judgment first, then going back to Gears 1 with the difficulty and different controls. Wonder if this would boost Gears 1 MP community or not. Probably not, they would get 1 taste of super lag and quit. lol.

[quote name='knightsmith']I remember a website that was saying GOWJ a limited Ed. would come with a token to download GOW 1. but there has been no official news of any thing being offered but the standard Ed. of the game. So take it for what it's worth.[/QUOTE]
There were foreign (outside the USA, anyway) places that were offering their own limited editions, that were store made. Some of these talked about having exclusive content offered, including a free downloadable copy of Gears of War, along with some more interesting things.

At least one store mentioned their limited edition would come with a chapter for Baird and Cole explaining what they were doing during Gears of War 3, but it would not require 3 to play it. Seems like it's (withheld) content to be sold later. Also, this site had also mentioned something about limited time exclusive content of a 30 day and 60 day DLC. It seems like the 30 day is the Hammerburst, as there's no way they'd not allow a whole weapon to be locked away from the community. The 60 day content seems like the character skins. They probably won't do variations this time, as the game isn't nearly as popular in the pre-order situation. I posted this in the sale thread, but Gears of War Judgment hasn't even cracked over 100,000 pre-orders yet. By this point, Gears of War 3 had over 1 million pre-orders.

Noting that, don't expect much support for this game, as we saw how quickly they've seemed to forget about 3 after all the DLC was released.

And there's supposed to be a mode called Overwhelm or Overcome, that is the pseudo replacement for Horde Mode. Essentially you just fight endless enemies, trying to survive as long as possible. You time is tallied and that's the end of the game, when everyone dies. No other information seems to be available. And, of course, none of this information has come directly from Epic. Still wonder when the hell they're going to start letting people know about this game.

All that's known is that there are 4 'competitive' modes, with the potential for a 5th that would be a sort of weekly, rotational playlist. 3 of the 4 modes are almost the exact same, involving just killing the other team or players. There are no linger shared lives, just infinite lives with teams or individuals playing to a set score.

They still haven't talked about whether there is local play.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']There were foreign (outside the USA, anyway) places that were offering their own limited editions, that were store made. Some of these talked about having exclusive content offered, including a free downloadable copy of Gears of War, along with some more interesting things.

At least one store mentioned their limited edition would come with a chapter for Baird and Cole explaining what they were doing during Gears of War 3, but it would not require 3 to play it. Seems like it's (withheld) content to be sold later. Also, this site had also mentioned something about limited time exclusive content of a 30 day and 60 day DLC. It seems like the 30 day is the Hammerburst, as there's no way they'd not allow a whole weapon to be locked away from the community. The 60 day content seems like the character skins. They probably won't do variations this time, as the game isn't nearly as popular in the pre-order situation. I posted this in the sale thread, but Gears of War Judgment hasn't even cracked over 100,000 pre-orders yet. By this point, Gears of War 3 had over 1 million pre-orders.

Noting that, don't expect much support for this game, as we saw how quickly they've seemed to forget about 3 after all the DLC was released.

And there's supposed to be a mode called Overwhelm or Overcome, that is the pseudo replacement for Horde Mode. Essentially you just fight endless enemies, trying to survive as long as possible. You time is tallied and that's the end of the game, when everyone dies. No other information seems to be available. And, of course, none of this information has come directly from Epic. Still wonder when the hell they're going to start letting people know about this game.

All that's known is that there are 4 'competitive' modes, with the potential for a 5th that would be a sort of weekly, rotational playlist. 3 of the 4 modes are almost the exact same, involving just killing the other team or players. There are no linger shared lives, just infinite lives with teams or individuals playing to a set score.

They still haven't talked about whether there is local play.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty baffling just how horrifically they're handling this game. First you remove KEY features from the game that is what made the original games so unique like DBNO, Execution/Warzone, the weapon system, executions, etc... They've also clearly made the rifles even more powerful than they were in Gears 3.

Then, on top of all the stuff they've changed, they're barely releasing any information whatsoever. Here we are less than 2 months from release and we know virtually nothing. I love Gears, but I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty massive wake up call to Epic Games on why you don't mess with a formula that works. The latest preorder information leads me to believe they're going to get that lesson and more:

GoWJudgementvsGoW3-8.png

[quote name='I OU a Beatn']It's pretty baffling just how horrifically they're handling this game. First you remove KEY features from the game that is what made the original games so unique like DBNO, Execution/Warzone, the weapon system, executions, etc... They've also clearly made the rifles even more powerful than they were in Gears 3.

Then, on top of all the stuff they've changed, they're barely releasing any information whatsoever. Here we are less than 2 months from release and we know virtually nothing. I love Gears, but I have a feeling this is going to be a pretty massive wake up call to Epic Games on why you don't mess with a formula that works. The latest preorder information leads me to believe they're going to get that lesson and more:

GoWJudgementvsGoW3-8.png
[/QUOTE]

This. The mere fact that Horde is getting removed is enough to make me wait for this one to drop in price. I've picked up every Gears game at launch, but I'm just not feeling Judgement.

bread's done
Back