Gears Of War: Judgment - Lost Relics DLC out now VIP - 6/25 for Non VIP

Here's some thoughts on this game. It's not good.

This is a terrible game and I couldn't in good faith recommend it to anybody. It's merely a thinly veiled IAP and microtransaction vehicle and a poor one at that. The traditional mp mode maps (all 4 of them) are horrid. You'll spend more time falling off ledges and trying to remember what color COG you are than shooting other players. Overrun is a fun mode but it's ultimately shallow and susceptible to pubstomping. The campaign is boilerplate Gears stuff that we've come to expect. And survival (which is just Overrun with bots for Locust) is not a suitable replacement for Horde -- not even close. Ultimately this was a stopgap game for the extended console cycle and it shows. It's essentially a mod of Gears 3 and one that doesn't learn from it's mistakes. Extremely disappointing and a troubling sign of things to come for any future Gears games.

[quote name='KrayzieKMF']I died yesterday because I ran out of ammo and couldn't figure out how the hell to change to my pistol. I ended up rushing the guy and trying to melee him to death...[/QUOTE]
LOL... yo this is the first damn comment I read today had me LMAO!!!! oh.. damn.. wooooo.. needed that!

I think i died in campaign because i was holding something like a one shot/mulcher and i couldnt figure out how to get rid of it fast enough. I was pressing the dpad trying to drop it. LOL fail.

I beat the campaign today and i think it was pretty good, probably better than Gears 3. The sights and graphics looked really nice, especially the background and buildings on fire. Such a great looking game.

Declassified missions were cool, but most of them were (tougher enemies) type. I had one i had to play a few times over because it spawned 4 ragers, and then 4 more ragers along side two maulers. I was running for my life as ragers were chasing me from behind. LOL.

Has anyone played Survival yet? It's like it's impossible to get beyond Wave 7, if even that. The enemies are just so overpowered, and you have to wait to respawn while they destroy barriers that don't come back.

I tried it with human players and they sucked. People need to learn classes, fast. Then I tried it with the AI; holy shit...who play tested this game. AI Bairds don't drop turrets. Cole will randomly throw ammo boxes, just rarely when you need them. Sofia seems to overthrow her stim grenades. Paduk is okay, but only because his horrible spot tosses end up working because the enemy AI ends up running through them. I had a Baird AI shooting a shotgun at a wall that wasn't even in the direction the enemy was coming. This kept up until we had to move back to the next area.

Then I tried it on Casual. I barely made it. My generator had only 19% left on it, and the AI kept blocking my shots. This definitely seems like it's harder than Horde.

[quote name='panda911']Here's some thoughts on this game. It's not good.

This is a terrible game and I couldn't in good faith recommend it to anybody. It's merely a thinly veiled IAP and microtransaction vehicle and a poor one at that. The traditional mp mode maps (all 4 of them) are horrid. You'll spend more time falling off ledges and trying to remember what color COG you are than shooting other players. Overrun is a fun mode but it's ultimately shallow and susceptible to pubstomping. The campaign is boilerplate Gears stuff that we've come to expect. And survival (which is just Overrun with bots for Locust) is not a suitable replacement for Horde -- not even close. Ultimately this was a stopgap game for the extended console cycle and it shows. It's essentially a mod of Gears 3 and one that doesn't learn from it's mistakes. Extremely disappointing and a troubling sign of things to come for any future Gears games.[/QUOTE]

Amen panda. I couldn't agree more. I am a big fan of horde and I'm extremely disappointed. Survival is not a replacement for horde. Also, I'm not going to pay for additional "modes" like horde to get a complete game. Forget that.

I'm trading it in tomorrow.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Those could also be copies stolen from BB or anywhere the case is open and sold for cash also.

.[/QUOTE]

lol naw you can almost find any new game used at a GS on the site within 48hrs and if a game came out at midnight it's not uncommon to see it used on the site that Tuesday afternoon. Plus managers get free copies of some games and that game might not interest them so they just trade it in as soon as it's street date legal.

[quote name='panda911']Here's some thoughts on this game. It's not good.

This is a terrible game and I couldn't in good faith recommend it to anybody. It's merely a thinly veiled IAP and microtransaction vehicle and a poor one at that. The traditional mp mode maps (all 4 of them) are horrid. You'll spend more time falling off ledges and trying to remember what color COG you are than shooting other players. Overrun is a fun mode but it's ultimately shallow and susceptible to pubstomping. The campaign is boilerplate Gears stuff that we've come to expect. And survival (which is just Overrun with bots for Locust) is not a suitable replacement for Horde -- not even close. Ultimately this was a stopgap game for the extended console cycle and it shows. It's essentially a mod of Gears 3 and one that doesn't learn from it's mistakes. Extremely disappointing and a troubling sign of things to come for any future Gears games.[/QUOTE]

Why do people say this is like DLC of Gears 3? This is ridiculous! What you all are whining about would be like G3 DLC!

I want horde and king if the hill and beast mode! In other words... I want G3 with new maps! That's G3 DLC.

This is a new game, with new maps and you all are just bitching because its different. What did you expect? New developer, prequel and its a completely new game than G3.

I on the other hand am really starting to like the game. What sucks is bitches who charge and gnash all the time. That's what sucks. Not that it's not exactly the same is G3. I loved Horde just as much as everyone else and it may end up being DLC for the VIP folks but seriously this game is not bad. Go play BLOPs 2 that shits bad.

And when the game drops in a few weeks its bit because its bad its because all game do that now. Game franchises that have never see a drop are now seeing a drop quicker than ever.

Ugh

Got my 100 stars in Hardcore last night and had to replay a few chapters to get the total of 126 to unlock Tai in MP. My co-op partner and I were annoyed at friends hopping in our game and playing on casual or normal.

Just to note for anyone else going for the stars achievements, the game will give you credit if you play on different difficulties HOWEVER, it will only give you credit for the lowest difficulty being played by someone. So say my buddy and I start our insane and someone pops in with hardcore difficulty... Yep no credit for 3 stars on insane for us. We are going to lock our games when we start the stars run on insane this weekend though.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Why do people say this is like DLC of Gears 3? This is ridiculous! What you all are whining about would be like G3 DLC!

I want horde and king if the hill and beast mode! In other words... I want G3 with new maps! That's G3 DLC.

This is a new game, with new maps and you all are just bitching because its different. What did you expect? New developer, prequel and its a completely new game than G3.

I on the other hand am really starting to like the game. What sucks is bitches who charge and gnash all the time. That's what sucks. Not that it's not exactly the same is G3. I loved Horde just as much as everyone else and it may end up being DLC for the VIP folks but seriously this game is not bad. Go play BLOPs 2 that shits bad.

And when the game drops in a few weeks its bit because its bad its because all game do that now. Game franchises that have never see a drop are now seeing a drop quicker than ever.

Ugh[/QUOTE]

Looks like someone doesn't understand the distinction between a mod (which I said) and dlc (which you imagined). And Blops 2 being bad doesn't preclude Judgment from the same fate.

[quote name='dennisb407']lol naw you can almost find any new game used at a GS on the site within 48hrs and if a game came out at midnight it's not uncommon to see it used on the site that Tuesday afternoon. Plus managers get free copies of some games and that game might not interest them so they just trade it in as soon as it's street date legal.[/QUOTE]

This is true but a lot of stuff is traded for cash, trust me. If we're discussing a game with a 5-hour campaign then yes, but a used copy of Gears this early is either your example (store manager's copy) or mine (stolen from big box store for cash.)

[quote name='GUNNM']Overrun is so fun[/QUOTE]

Agreed! I love it!

It took a while to grow on me but it is a ton of fun.

[quote name='GUNNM']Overrun is so fun[/QUOTE]

[quote name='WV Matsui']Agreed! I love it!

It took a while to grow on me but it is a ton of fun.[/QUOTE]
I too like it. In the early access deal I was able to unlock all the locusts on that 1 map, but now on the retail version I can't get pass that centipede thing on the same map lol

[quote name='MSUHitman']This is true but a lot of stuff is traded for cash, trust me. If we're discussing a game with a 5-hour campaign then yes, but a used copy of Gears this early is either your example (store manager's copy) or mine (stolen from big box store for cash.)[/QUOTE]
I agree both are possible then you have the people who have no interest in the MP and blow thru the campaign or get on the campaign as first timers and realize it's not their cup of tea and get rid of the game.

Here's the used copies as of right now near me

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/storesearch.aspx?sku=953120

Yeah i am liking overrun more than i thought i would, probably even more than the regular vs MP. I just looked at my stats and i have a 9.0 W/L in overrun. LOL. I was just playing now and was just standing there lancering away behind a corner at the generator, while the other team completely ignored me for a good minute or more. Lancers between throwing nades at the generator. LOL.

Man im going to try to get this reaper medal tonight maybe. I wish i could get it just so i can get it over with and never think about it again.

[quote name='snakemaster2389']when we co-opin matsui. :333[/QUOTE]

I'll be on tonight playing overrun or survival. Hit me up.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Anyone have their Alex Brand/Classic Hammerburst codes from the MS store yet?[/QUOTE]
I've seen a lot of posts on the Gears of War Forums asking this. It seems like Microsoft haven't sent it out yet. Of the games I played the last 2 nights, I haven't seen an Alex Brand, and I'd expect her to be a used character, so I don't think anyone has received her yet.

I had to wait a whole week before MS emailed me my Halo Pulse code. They are really slow to fulfill preorder codes.

The people wearing them now probably preordered in-store which a physical voucher was provided.

[quote name='WV Matsui']Agreed! I love it!

It took a while to grow on me but it is a ton of fun.[/QUOTE]
I didn't know getting a kill with every locust was an achievement in my 10 times of playing I've been lucky enough to get a corpser once and in that one time I got a kill with it. So go me!
[quote name='snakemaster2389']when we co-opin matsui. :333[/QUOTE]
I see how it is. I thought we were bros. UNF UNF UNF UNF

Ended up getting this from Target since they had the buy 2 get 1 free going on.

Gears Of War, God Of War and Tomb Raider is on the way. I had to order them online since I don't have a Target store. At least it was still free shipping and only charged me tax anyway.

It was 128.08 for all 3 games.

Does anyone want to try Insane Survival? So far I've had much better defense on Estate with the bots on Casual. I'm playing them on Casual to see which of the maps the bots move through fastest, and Estate has places to defend better than Skyline for sure. I'm still going to test the other two maps, but on Casual the Locust never even touched the Estate Generator the whole game. I'm assuming that 5 coordinated players would fight much better against a tougher enemy.

I would say I'm in..but i just got on mp last night and damn.. I just can't get the controls down... I'm just slow to react to everything..

[quote name='knightsmith']I would say I'm in..but i just got on mp last night and damn.. I just can't get the controls down... I'm just slow to react to everything..[/QUOTE]

Yup...taking me a while, even after a 6 or so matches I'm still instinctlively hitting the tac/com button but throwing my only grenade, right off the bat.

Played my first Survival game last night and joined as an engineer. Didn't know how to switch over to blowtorch and fix things. But, I've gotten better after a few tries. It's a lot of fun, though. Got to round 6.

[quote name='dennisb407']Just got to level 32, finally got an Epic prizebox too :)

To the pros...which game mode spits out the most XP?[/QUOTE]That your first? I played one match in the special event playlist and ranked up to level 2 and got an epic prizebox containing the onyx skin. I was thinking we'd get an epic prizebox every level...

[quote name='jdawgg76']That your first? I played one match in the special event playlist and ranked up to level 2 and got an epic prizebox containing the onyx skin. I was thinking we'd get an epic prizebox every level...[/QUOTE]
If onyx is epic then yea it would be my second, I have it for the sawed off and the gnasher. How do you get that skin that 7th posted for playing in the special event?

Looking at the unlock list I guess I have a few epics lol, have the xbox and mummy skins too. Has anyone seen a reaper yet?

Ok I've played some more MP (no campaign still) and here are my thoughts:

FFA
As I could never play a lag free match of any COD game in any mode, I appreciate this mode but probably because I'm actually decent coming in top 5 most of the time (got first place on all maps achievement yesterday). The first time I got 25 kills (was in second with 22 kills when the first guy got 24) I thought I won after I just got 3 kills in a row but somehow came in second despite having 2 less deaths :cry:. This should be first to 25 kills or 4375 points (175x25) imo
My best was 25-3 :cool:.
This is the only mode where I feel gnasher is a must to start with unless you have some robot fingers or modded controller then a hammerburst or markza. Snub is useful too. I've only run into a few fuckers that use stim grenades. The main issue is the kids that join in parties! Two guys in the attic area in Library or a two camping the torque bow building in Streets.

Domination and TDM
Terrible unless playing with a party (for both sides). People don't know how to protect/cap rings and if they do they get killed right away. Annex/koth is better. Seem to cater to cod kids. I've heard about ties as well. TDM I got stuck with campers that keep dying. I hated TDM in 3 and this is worse as there's no revives.

Overun
I got stuck with morons and takes forever to connect.

Survival

Same as survival but more annoying since it's against bots. Connection is worse than other modes and longer to connect. People that go engie just stay on a turret and repair it - not using their sentry or repair stuff. Medics that don't revive. Oh and garbage snipers that try to snipe when they should be using spot and up front like Cole. I wasn't a big fan of Horde 2.0 in 3 (I loved original in 2) but this seems better imo.

Gnasher
Gears 1 mechanics with 2's 2piece and 3's noob/casual market. Oh and inconsistencies galore. Some guy's at spawn (probably away) I shot several times, AIMING, and no gib so I just melee for the kill. The sawedoff is garbage. I think only noobs from 3 try to use it.

Melee
Overpowered so I will abuse it till nerf. The speed is weird as I would melee someone only to get 2pieced or doubled to death before I can shoot or melee again. Where you melee a person also seems to affect their reaction.

Grenades
Frags are inconsistent like in 3. The blast radius seems smaller than normal but I've gotten killed somehow. I think there should be a bit more of a delay before detonating. Ink's needs stun back and a nerf in damage. Stim needs to be fixed. Smoke's aoe needs to be decreased.

Rifles
Lancer, retro, hammerburst seem to be fine though recoil on the hb is a lot. The classic is OP if the person knows how to use it. All need a slight buff or actives need to have a bigger rof increase.

Pickups
Longshot seems to be a hybrid of 1/2. Not sure why there are two zooms. Easier to get no scopes than 2/3. Much harder to get get actual snipes. I haven't gotten a 2x zoom headshot yet. Needs a slight damage nerf imo. Too easy to steal kills.
Torque is harder to use due to no active charge bonus. It's also harder to "see" the reticule. The difficulty gab from 3 is bigger than 2 to 3 was.
Boomshot needs to have aoe decreased. Hammer of Dawn seems to take longer to charge. Flamethrower is OP. Breecher seems hit or miss for each match. Digger seems weaker than 3. Booshka needs to be fixed. The aiming is difficult but when it hits it will kill. Haven't really used the mortar but it feels different. The boomshield offers TOO much protection. I tossed two frags and someone shot a boomshot at a guy but he still survived. Someone else ended up shooting him in the back. Oneshot needs less ammon. Vulcan needs faster startup and maybe limit mobility to a fixed area like in 3 with the ammo box.

Maps and other gameplay etc
Maps seems to cater to casuals that want to play cod. I do like some of the vertical aspects but the map sizes are way too small for a Gears game. The maps for survival/overrun would be better. The spawn points seem fine but the spawn times are crazy - definitely a play from COD. Weapon and ammo respawn times however are weird or at least seem so.

I would love to see a capture the flag like mode with classes. It'd be like a cheap TF2 for me as I don't play it on pc and don't have the 360 disc anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the shark weapon skin. Yeah I like wasting money.
Survival is pretty boring btw. Its just overrun but instead of people you compete against bots

[quote name='The 7th Number']You can get the achievement for winning in FFA on all 4 maps in private. ;)[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know about the achievement until I saw some here mentioning it can be boosted in private. I checked and I already got it legit:D. From what I've played of FFA, I think anyone hat has less than 12-15 deaths and at least 18 kills had a good game. I came in 2nd or 3rd one time where top 6 all had 20+ kills. That was a good match.

Has anyone gone back to Gears 1? As 2 was my first game, I barely have any mp achievements. I would think more people would be playing now since all copies come with codes.

[quote name='GUNNM']I bought the shark weapon skin. Yeah I like wasting money.
Survival is pretty boring btw. Its just overrun but instead of people you compete against bots[/QUOTE]

Whenever i try to find a match in survival i just end up starting a fresh game of me with 4 bots. Guess no one even plays it. So if anyone here want to group up and play on insane let me know.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Whenever i try to find a match in survival i just end up starting a fresh game of me with 4 bots. Guess no one even plays it. So if anyone here want to group up and play on insane let me know.[/QUOTE]

about half the time this happened to me. I don't know why but Survival has the most lag.

there were a few FFA games where it seemed like someone hit a lag switch and then when game "was back" I'd be dead and see 3-4 other kills on the feed. this happened twice in one match about 3-5 minutes from each other so I quit that room.

I know grenades can't be planted but can they be manually melee tagged onto a person?

[quote name='GUNNM']I bought the shark weapon skin. [/QUOTE]

Glad somebody liked it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Whenever i try to find a match in survival i just end up starting a fresh game of me with 4 bots.[/QUOTE]

The first match I played had humans. The others didn't. I think, if you notice, it starts with a timer that has over 1 minute. If you select a character, though, it starts right away. I'm guessing here, but if you try to wait, I think it'll add people to your match.

But, in my experience, bots are somehow better than random players. One guy refused to drop ammo as Cole because he didn't want to "waste his grenades." When I explained that his grenades dropped ammo, and didn't explode, he didn't want to believe me.

People suck.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']there were a few FFA games where it seemed like someone hit a lag switch and then when game "was back" I'd be dead and see 3-4 other kills on the feed. this happened twice in one match about 3-5 minutes from each other so I quit that room.[/QUOTE]
Supposedly the dedicated servers are supposed to go up today. I thought they were already up, but that's what I've read over at Epic's Forums.

[quote name='The Ebbtide']Supposedly the dedicated servers are supposed to go up today. I thought they were already up, but that's what I've read over at Epic's Forums.[/QUOTE]

I think I played on some today as after one match people started leaving until I was the last one. Next game people didn't join until I had 6+ kills but then it started lagging. Also experienced lag switch like moments during some matches that I joined mid way. I haven't seen host disconnect messages since Wednesday. Either way it's not lagless. Even though my connection is shit due to running a wireless, nat is open

I then switched to Survival which had minor "jumping" lag. Now idea why people choose sniper so much even with spot grenades they're at the bottom and aren't really helping. I ran into more clueless engies (but some competent one too), no heal medics, and soldiers that don't drop ammo. One round another guy and myself kept meleeing the soldier for ammo while he just stayed on a turret while the round just ended. It seemed the only time he'd deploy ammo was to refill the 3 booshka shots he'd waste on tickers and grenediars :roll:

Medics who don't revive are assholes. Whenever I play cole since no one uses a mic I try to shoot at them to let them know I want to them give them ammo usually its a sniper or an engineer running around.

Play as an engineer is the easiest class just throw down a turret and repair shit and get points which is why its my favorite class. =D

You know when they showed overrun i really didnt care. I played horde and beast mode in gears 3 and not really a big fan of those. Im more of a Guardian type MP man really. But i have to say that overrun is probably the best MP mode in the game. I played some TDM and Domination, and they are okay, but there is a lot of crap, especially melees that turn me away from those modes. But i think the biggest thing i dont like about the MP modes are the maps. With the exception of streets, i think they are too cluttered. Well Library aint too bad. But Rig and Gondola, i really would rather not play on those maps.

Anyway... my real reason for making this message.. ive been loving me some overrun, which even surprises me. Sure the sentrys can be annoying, and Cole spamming his Booshka can get on my nerves. But overall i think its fun. I dont really like defending as the COG that much. Maybe because i already got onyx medal for repairing fortifications. So i try not to use baird because i want to go for the other class medals. The scout is pretty fun but if there is no Cole to give me ammo, i run out pretty fast. Cole is okay, i dont really like using the Booshka, but i always throw down ammo when ever i can. Then medic is okay too. I just dont like how she has 2 sawed off bullets and then you have to use the lancer.

Playing as the locust is the best part for me. I usually start off as a ticker or wretch depending on the map, and what hole we are going after. Eventually i upgrade to the grenadier. I usually stick to that because i can lancer and throw nades at fortifications or the hole. Sometimes i like to use the rager, but he is kind of useless. He is good for headshots, and killing people when he is raged. but other than that he isnt that great.

Last night i was going up against 5 bairds and it was tough. Since they were good at spacing out their sentrys. We couldnt even break the hole. Does anyone have any good advice against sentrys? One split second in the open against those and you are dead.

It really annoys me when people just stand around in this game type. Like they will be a grenadier and just camp behind a wall like they are waiting for someone to come by so they can kill them. Im always trying to do something, mostly break fortifications. Sometimes i dont pay much attention to enemies and just go for the hole. Unless you are a kantus and are healing people i dont see why you should be camping back. And like others have said above, coles who dont throw ammo, or Sofias that dont heal teammates are both annoying.

Anyway i really like the mode. :)

I guess I'm the few who like being the medic, probably because I was an AF Medic. I usually stay back out of the way, usually guarding the e-hole, moving back and forth from where the split team have set up positions and wait for downed members...sling the stim-pack, while backing them up for a bit with the lancer. Then when they're clear, I go back to a safe position and continue what I was doing. It really helps, when they do take up positions and not going rambo and going way out of the way from each other. I also like the Soldier and engineer. I suck shooting the sniper, so I usually don't take that character. But, I usually pick character last to see what we need...which is usually the medic, as most people choose the engineer and soldier.

It also helps when teams have mics.

As much as I suck at MP deathmatch and such, I'm that much better at overrun. I'm loving this mode!!

Wished they would have had a medic(or stim-grenades) on Horde as I don't know how many times I've gotten killed trying to run up to revive a downed team-mate.

bread's done
Back