Gears of War Shaky Camera

RCS0926

CAGiversary!
I bought the Gears of War triple back during the 2011 Black Friday sales and just got around to playing it recently. I'm currently playing Gears of War, and I find the game impressive (even after all these years) in terms of graphics, gameplay, etc. I've played the game 3-4 times over the past week, and I've been a bit dizzy after each playthrough. I think it's because of the shaky camera that's employed by the game. Has anyone else had this problem with the Gears of War series? If so, were you able to get over it eventually? Also, is the shaky camera toned down in any of the sequels?

Admittedly, I tend to get motion sick more than the average person. Still, I've been able to enjoy my fair share of FPS games, and prior to playing Gears of War, I had been playing Skyrim in first-person mode. It's been a while since a game has made me disoriented. I'm going to continue to try to play the game, but it sucks that I may need to give it up if I can't get over the shaky camera.

Maybe that's what is triggering my headaches. On my next session, I will avoid running completely and see if that helps. The problem is that once I start to get disoriented other movements such as walking, aiming, etc. make me nauseous as well. Also, I'm wondering how possible it is to avoid running altogether. I'm currently playing the area of the game where you have to avoid dark areas or else you'll get killed by the swarm.

I have a few friends that have the same problem. They get headaches from FPSs and Third Person Shooters and thus, tend to play them very little.

I'd suggest to take a break every once in a while, say every hour.

This happens to me when I haven't played it for a long time, and it did when I first played it as well. Eventually you just get used to the motion, or you figure out to look at a sort of 'constant.' I tend to focus on my character, and somehow my eyes just adapt to the motion with no issue. Likewise, if you focus on a target that's ahead of you, it might help as well.

I did a test and tried focusing on random objects when I'd play Gears of War 3 and found that it really did hurt my eyes after only a few games. Just try to focus on something that's fairly consistent in the frame, and may be more 'stationary' as well. The characters are the same frame space, or distance from you, when you run, so that's why I'd say to use them.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't had a chance to play since I created this thread. I'll let you know how my next play session goes.

bread's done
Back