General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

Well, I don't think it's the one we saw photos of, but there are campers at the new Lindbergh BBuy, too. There's a Linens and Things next door, but no Bloodbath & Beyond.

Anyway, these folks had several tents, a couple of those big outdoor heater towers, and a DIRECTV DISH IN THE PARKING LOT. They were running a wire across the lane to the sidewalk. Impressive. I saw two people standing against the wall by the heaters this morning.

There were a few members of the press there to cover the UPS delivery, and it looked like they were talking to/photographing the campers a bit, too. I'll post the pics I took when I get home tonight.

That store is huge, btw. Nice.

[quote name='El Gray']There were a few members of the press there to cover the UPS delivery, and it looked like they were talking to/photographing the campers a bit, too. I'll post the pics I took when I get home tonight.[/quote]

Cool, I was there too. I took some pics. You can see some on my blog and Flickr.

Nice... I sat in the car too long, and missed the chance to go back into the stockroom with the rest of you. D'oh. Good shots!

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Cool, I was there too. I took some pics. You can see some on my blog and Flickr.[/QUOTE]

Great photo. Those guys look just thrilled. "This is the Wii. Got a problem with that?"

The UPS guy just seems to be wondering what the heck he got himself into.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Cool, I was there too. I took some pics. You can see some on my blog and Flickr.[/QUOTE]

The guys in that photo look like UPS is delivering dead puppies instead of Wiis.

[quote name='Tybee']The guys in that photo look like UPS is delivering dead puppies instead of Wiis.[/QUOTE]

exactly! Haha!

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Cool, I was there too. I took some pics. You can see some on my blog and Flickr.[/quote]
I saw the BB employee in the blue shirt on 11 Alive News last night talking about the PS3 launch. I can't remember exactly what he said but almost everything he did say was wrong or a lie.:lol:

There could be a story about it on CBS46 tonight too. The cameraman with them got a lot of footage, of course given all the other news, the story probably got scrapped.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']There could be a story about it on CBS46 tonight too. The cameraman with them got a lot of footage, of course given all the other news, the story probably got scrapped.[/quote]
Uhh nevermind, it wasnt on there.

Thanks for the link... man, that was painful. I see that guy every few days around here at work. I'll have to forward the article to him.

The UPS driver looks like the warehouse manager from The Office.

[quote name='Tybee']Even CBS46 isn't THAT hard up for news. ;)[/quote]
I was wondering why they were even there. I bet the cameraman was thinking it was a waste of time.

[quote name='rupan_sansei']Swung by the Best Buy and Target in Kennesaw on my way to work. Took a couple of pictures of the PS3 lineups there.

[/QUOTE]

That just makes me want to cry. They should tell those people, "Okay, you've secured a PS3...But now you have to live in that tent FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE."

I stopped by the Edgewood Best Buy last night (to pick up Yoshi's Island DS) and got the skinny on the launch:

- First off: there were 6 tents of people camping out for the PS3. I asked the video game guy how many PS3s they were getting. Although he couldn't give me the # (he wasn't allowed to) he did say that he was planning on lining up tomorrow morning (since he had the day off) ... once he saw that there were "already 20 people in-line" he decided he didn't have a chance for a PS3. He also noted that he would only do it to make profit off of Ebay.

- I asked him about the Wii. He said that no one should be worried about getting a Wii. He said that he knew the # they were getting and that it was "a lot." He also said that I could probably walk into Best Buy during the late morning and still walk away from with one. This didn't come from his lack of faith in sales, but in his confidence in the supply. He also noted that Nintendo was going to keep sending them Wiis regularly, so he figured that it would be no problem to get a Wii during the holidays.

- The guy had to go into the store room to get Yoshi's Island for me. He wasn't happy about it since "the store room was a mad house with all the new releases." That's not that important, I just thought it was a cool detail.

- They had a Wii on display, running a video of a montage of games. I saw the Wii and it was beautiful. I asked the dude when they were getting a playable kiosk, and he said that he didn't know if they ever would ... he cited the fact that Best Buy still hasn't figured out how they will handle the wireless controllers.

- They had a playable PS3 kiosk up with NBA Live 07 on display. I'm not a big fan of 3D basketball games (Double Dribble & Arch Rivals are where it's at), so to me it was just the same old PS1 game, except shinier.

- I grabbed every piece of Wii paraphernalia they had. That included a DVD of Wii videos and a info book w/ coupons. One of the coupons is a free Zelda guide if you buy Zelda and Excite Truck.

Besides all of that, I played 2 songs on Guitar Hero 2... all in all a good trip to Best Buy.

[quote name='El Gray']I will take you down in Arch Rivals.
I think I have that on a Midway collection. IT'S ON.[/QUOTE]

Is it sad that I think one of the coolest things Nintendo could do is release an online-enabled version of Balloon Fight in the VC? ;)

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm just wanting a 360 from Amazon.

Oh please, let it happen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've got a bunch of friends crossing their fingers for the same thing. Good luck!

Went by Edgewood BB and EB tonight to check for Wii accessories. No luck, (they did have 3rd party Wii games) but I got a chance to chuckle at the PS3 ho's shivering out front (there were six or seven tents).

Anybody found accessories for sale yet? I'd like to get a remote and nunchuk before Sunday if possible.

[quote name='rupan_sansei']Ratted out to the cops by a fellow CAG. That's low. :D[/quote]It was the only way I could get Jigen to myself.

[quote name='neocisco']I saw the BB employee in the blue shirt on 11 Alive News last night talking about the PS3 launch. I can't remember exactly what he said but almost everything he did say was wrong or a lie.:lol:[/quote]No joke. I'm wondering what everyone will be doing when they find out their ps3 doesn't play DVDs (only blu-ray) and won't do backwards compatible on most of their old ps2 games. For a loser like myself who holds on to systems, that's not a big deal. But for the kids who traded in their ps2s...

I'm wondering why I'm buying the darn thing later today. I'm not buying any games because none of them interest me, or they stink. Or can't hold a frame-rate. "But it's a video POWER HOUSE!!!" >_<

I stopped at the new Dallas Walmart today to do a little thansgiving shopping. And I spoke with the kids in electronics. They got six ps3s. And a line which far surpassed that number.

Andi, how ya doing?

Got to Walmart on Wednesday morning at 8:30am (after calling at 7:00am and finding out they had no one in line). Rushed to Pet Smart to put my dog in the Pet hotel, got to Walmart just as #1 and #2 were setting their chairs up and sat down. 40 hours later...we got our PS3s. I ended up going to the 24 hours Wm in Marietta (on Cobb Pkway)...we got to stay inside Layaway until Thursday at 1pm, when the district manager moved us to the Plant/Grenery section.

No fights. No one cutting in line. No crazy stuff, like on Barrett...where the people had to walk for 20 hours straight (if you sat down, they kicked oyou out), and then sprinting for a spot in line at 8am on Thursday.

Overall, I'm happy!

[quote name='tinyandi']Got to Walmart on Wednesday morning at 8:30am (after calling at 7:00am and finding out they had no one in line). Rushed to Pet Smart to put my dog in the Pet hotel, got to Walmart just as #1 and #2 were setting their chairs up and sat down. 40 hours later...we got our PS3s. I ended up going to the 24 hours Wm in Marietta (on Cobb Pkway)...we got to stay inside Layaway until Thursday at 1pm, when the district manager moved us to the Plant/Grenery section.

No fights. No one cutting in line. No crazy stuff, like on Barrett...where the people had to walk for 20 hours straight (if you sat down, they kicked oyou out), and then sprinting for a spot in line at 8am on Thursday.

Overall, I'm happy![/QUOTE]

Congrats, Andi! Glad you didn't take a bullet. ;)

[quote name='tinyandi']Guys...after 40 hours at a Walmart...I got my PS3!!![/QUOTE]

Congratulations :) Glad some people around here managed to stay sane while getting one.

[quote name='guinaevere']

No joke. I'm wondering what everyone will be doing when they find out their ps3 doesn't play DVDs (only blu-ray) and won't do backwards compatible on most of their old ps2 games. [/QUOTE]

Where do you get your info, the BB guy on TV?

TinyAndy, how many of the 60 gigs did they have and what was the shortest time someone had to wait in order to get one. 40 hours seems kind of long.

[quote name='lawyeron']TinyAndy, how many of the 60 gigs did they have and what was the shortest time someone had to wait in order to get one. 40 hours seems kind of long.[/quote]

Honestly, I was 3rd in line and got there at 8:30am on Wednesday, the 60 GBs were gone by 9:30am (8 of them), all the remaining 20GBs were gone by 1:00pm Wednesday (4 of them).

I went here because EVERY other Walmart I called at 7am on Wednesday was either full, or was not letting anyone line up, but had people roaming around like hawks.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Good for you! Which games did you get?[/quote]

I ordered all the games online (so I can't play anything!) but I ordered pretty much every game (aside from the sports games).

i ordered zelda for $40 and red steel for like $38 online :whistle2:D and luckily my eb is going to have a couple extra Wii motes on hand...but i have to get there early if i want any of em o_O

Does anyone in the area plan on going to a midnight launch anywhere? I know the Toys R Us in Alpharetta is having one, but I have no idea if they have any systems left after pre-ordering. If they do, I wonder how late I can get away with showing up. Calling there around 2 or 3 is my plan for right now, let me know what others in Atlanta are doing.

Went around Acworth and Dallas/Hiram to the Wal Marts, all Wii's were spoken for. One guy was camping in front of the circuit city and a group of people at the Target on Cobb Parkway. Unfortunately I have to work in the morning so no Wii for me.

The Wii is secured. Thank you, Gamestop. Got the only remote the store got in too. I can't believe how scarce these things seem to be.

Oh well, time to go make a Mii. :D

BTW: I overheard the staff saying they expect to get a new shipment of Wii on Monday or Tuesday. Sounds like these things may indeed be plentiful before the end of the year.

CC in Kennesaw has 30 Wii's and only 2 people waiting as of midnight. Something to consider if you're making a last minute decision to buy one.

Picked up reserved Zelda at Edgewood EB at midnight. One of the employees (possibly district manager?) was dressed up as Link. A guy tried to buy Zelda off me but I said no thank you.

Meanwhile, there was a significant line outside Best Buy. About four or five tents and then 8 or nine people after that just shivering in the cold, waiting for morning.

I'll be picking up my preordered Wii at TRU tomorrow afternoon. I'm kind of concerned I won't be able to find an extra remote and nunchuk at a Best Buy tomorrow. We shall see.

Went to Target in Edgewood at around 6am to wait in line today, and was 30th in line. An hour or so later, the manager came out and confirmed the 24 Wiis that we had thought. My buddy and I headed up to the Best Buy on Piedmont and Sidney Marcus and saw about 20ish people in line. We got in line (which grew to about 45-50 or so) and found out within 1 hour that the store had 70-ish, and everyone in line got their Wiis!
The only unpleasant part was the group of college guys who had camped out all night at the BB and appeared to not be holding their liquor well. There were a couple of puddles of vomit and a guy continuing to produce vomit in a nearby planter. Not cool, not cool.
Oh well, I got my Wii after about 2.5 hours of work. I'm pleased :). Hope everyone else did well, it seems we all did!

Congrats, andi!!

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Where do you get your info, the BB guy on TV?[/quote]No, I didn't see him.

I know a few sony vendors. I've yet to see it reported anywhere what they told me, so take it for pure grade-a rumor as of right now.

I ordered the first party component cables from Nintendo's site. But they're on backorder. So if anyone see's any in any store, please let me know. I also could use a spare wiimote and chuck. Every douglasville store is cleaned out.

[quote name='Tybee']Picked up reserved Zelda at Edgewood EB at midnight. One of the employees (possibly district manager?) was dressed up as Link. A guy tried to buy Zelda off me but I said no thank you.

Meanwhile, there was a significant line outside Best Buy. About four or five tents and then 8 or nine people after that just shivering in the cold, waiting for morning.

I'll be picking up my preordered Wii at TRU tomorrow afternoon. I'm kind of concerned I won't be able to find an extra remote and nunchuk at a Best Buy tomorrow. We shall see.[/QUOTE]
1. Good to know the Edgewood EB is still decent!
2. Waiting for a launch through the night outside the Edgewood EB = practically begging to get jacked. That 'hood is better than it once was...but still not great.
3. Man, those Wiimotes and nunchuks are scarece as all hell out here in CA.... Makes me long for the days back in ATL when I could drive out to a bumblefuck GA Wally World and find anything I needed!

Congrats to all you GA CAGs who scored this weekend on Wiis & PS3s; I miss that ATL CAG comradere! Even though there are a ton more CAGs in the Bay Area, your ATL thread is by far the more robust. Though I do think it is funny that the "General Discussion for ATL CAGs" thread was started by a CAG who now lives in San Francisco! :cool:

[quote name='guinaevere']Congrats, andi!!

No, I didn't see him.

I know a few sony vendors. I've yet to see it reported anywhere what they told me, so take it for pure grade-a rumor as of right now.

I ordered the first party component cables from Nintendo's site. But they're on backorder. So if anyone see's any in any store, please let me know. I also could use a spare wiimote and chuck. Every douglasville store is cleaned out.[/QUOTE]

Well, the PS3 is confirmed to play DVDs, and there is a fairly low percentage of PS1 and PS2 games it can't play.

They had a really cute girl dress as link at the Lennox Gamestop. Really looked good in the tights.

The guys were teasing her and asked her to go get a cookie for them at Ms. Fields. She said she'd do it but she was taking off the cap.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Well, the PS3 is confirmed to play DVDs[/quote]That's good to hear no one is having problems with it then. I'll have to smack my connection upside the head next time we meet up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back