General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='Gator']Anyone know if the CompUSA in Buckhead closed? I looked on their webpage, and they list Knoxville as having the closest store. I don't remember the one in ATL closing... weird.[/quote]

All CompUSAs in Georgia are closing. Indeed, the company is shutting down half of its locations in a major restructuring. They're going to be liquidating the inventory in those stores. There are several threads discussing it.

[quote name='Tybee']All CompUSAs in Georgia are closing. Indeed, the company is shutting down half of its locations in a major restructuring. They're going to be liquidating the inventory in those stores. There are several threads discussing it.[/quote]

Except Augusta which might as well be in SC.

[quote name='Tybee']Remember way back when, when someone (I think Gwen) posted about those Phoenix Wright's for $19.99 at the Douglasville TRU? Well, I finally got my wife to stop in there on Friday and they had one left. Hooray! Played it all weekend. GREAT, GREAT game.[/quote]YAY!! Glad you finally got hold of it.

I hit Douglasville and Acworth and found a few things (including FW guys with their lists), but the big surprize was the BestBuy in Anniston Alabama. A lot of that area is kinda ...well, the BB is in a new shopping center and I thought they'd have nothing as one would expect most locals would have done their Christmas shopping there. Not a very pleasant store, but I did get a couple things.

Edit: clarified BB= best buy, not blockbuster.

Second Edit: If anyone hits up a CompUSA and sees Ipods or Creative Zen Vision M or Zunes with 30gig or higher on sale, please let me know.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Them and Acworth. Zilch.

Did pick up Lego II at GR on Shallowford and MLB 2K7 at Chastain Wal-mart.[/quote]
Hey General Zod, I picked up MLB 2K7 yesterday too. So far its been pretty awesome. Any local CAGs up for some baseball on XBL?

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Hey General Zod, I picked up MLB 2K7 yesterday too. So far its been pretty awesome. Any local CAGs up for some baseball on XBL?[/QUOTE]

Let me get some more games in as practice and we'll see what we can do.

[quote name='neocisco']Did anybody hit up the Kennesaw BB? I went today and found exactly what I expected to...
nothing.
[/QUOTE]

I stopped by there on Tuesday afternoon and found the same thing. (I was driving to Canton and had some time to kill).

I didn't have any better luck at the store here in Macon either.

A heads up:

Target @ Edgewood has ~5 Classic Controllers, 3 Wiimotes, and 3 Nunchucks in stock. First time I've ever seen these things sitting on a shelf in a store.

Don't know if y'all are following that CCity 16.96 thread, but there are some good games at that price up at Northpoint. I got Contact and Scourge (which was 12.96) tonight, and there are still copies of Phoenix Wright, Rocket Slime, and quite a few others in a bin behind the video games section.

[quote name='El Gray']Don't know if y'all are following that CCity 16.96 thread, but there are some good games at that price up at Northpoint. I got Contact and Scourge (which was 12.96) tonight, and there are still copies of Phoenix Wright, Rocket Slime, and quite a few others in a bin behind the video games section.[/quote]
CC never even downloaded a list of these latest games to be marked down. If it wasn't for CAG's posting their finds CC probably wouldn't have sold a single copy, except by accident. CC corporate's level of incompetence keeps reaching new lows.

Hate to hear that a lot of people missed out on the BB clearance. Between three stores I lucked out with about 15 quality games like Earned In Blood, Mercenaries, Republic Commando, Katamari D, Darkwatch, Onimusha 2, Mechwarrior 2, Jade Empire. I know there was a hoarder sans list following the kid restickering games in snellville BB, so I struck up a conversation with the kid and he let me take a look at what he had left to put out. I had my list, but it was funny to see her glaring while she waited. That BB is pretty cleared out by her and some other hoarders. The Pleasant Hill/I85 one is also empty as is the one off 285 and la vista. They all just have some poker game, monster house, and some cruddy games. The new buckhead store (#890, I think) is your local star wars emporium. I think they had a dozen of each SW game on clearance on all systems. I don't remember seeing them the first time I went there. By the way, I didn't really look at psp or ds games so some of those stores may have those.

Two side notes. First, Fry's is very hit and miss. Awesome deals among overpriced. The best thing about them are the big deals and PMing if you don't want to drive that far. I got MLB2k7 for 48.99 last week (Up for Live games with fellow CAGers) and GRAW2 for 34.99 today. $25 OFF!!!!

Second, Guin, are you looking for GC memory cards on a deal or just looking for them? Walmart in Snellville had a couple. I couldn't get a good look because they were stuffed awkwardly into the lower case, but I could look again next time I'm there.

Glad to hear you did well, dawg. And good work cutting the hoarder off like that. ;)

At the acworth store, I did pretty well but there were around five hoarders with lists looking for/snatching everything they could. Two of them looked in my little handbasket and asked if I was going to eBay my stuff. I told them, "no, I'm from CAG, we all trade or sell to each other at cost to help each other out." They didn't know quite what to say. :D

But the employees were impressed as I knew the titles I was looking for without a list. And I was generally one step ahead of them as they were looking through the game section to pull the games to put on a table. Granted, I only found what thhey had instock, but that's better than nothing.
How did everyone else do?

[quote name='jdawgg76'] Second, Guin, are you looking for GC memory cards on a deal or just looking for them? Walmart in Snellville had a couple. I couldn't get a good look because they were stuffed awkwardly into the lower case, but I could look again next time I'm there.[/quote]You're a hunny! I'm looking for a deal.

I have a 512 and a few 256's but I'd like to grab one 1000 to throw all my saves from the 256 cards onto and then just trade in my 256 cards for next to nothing at EB or put them on my tradelist.

Anyone know off hand if this Sundays AJC has coupons to the Auto Show? Years back I'd get coupons in the paper about two or three weeks ahead of the show. I totally forgot to pick up a paper for the show until just now.

I still have a copy of the AJC from earlier this week and it had a coupon for the auto show in the Sports section. ($3 off of the $10 admission, good only on the 12th through the 15th).

I would think they would have the coupon in the Sunday paper as well, but that is just a guess.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Has anybody checked out any of the local Compusa's for any store closing deals??[/quote]

I've been checking the one by Perimeter Mall. So far no real deals. All gaming stuff is 10% off, so I guess if you are buying a PSP or HD-DVD add on you could save. But most games are the same as Best Buy with GGC. I'm waiting until it gets to 20% and then I'm gunna get some stuff. But who knows, by then all the good stuff will probably be gone. :/

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I've been checking the one by Perimeter Mall. So far no real deals. All gaming stuff is 10% off, so I guess if you are buying a PSP or HD-DVD add on you could save. But most games are the same as Best Buy with GGC. I'm waiting until it gets to 20% and then I'm gunna get some stuff. But who knows, by then all the good stuff will probably be gone. :/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for saving me a trip! It seems as if things at Compusa will never change, even if they're going out of business.....

As far as Compusa goes, I agree that it's 99% meh. I picked up Shadow Ops for PC and an open Xbox Dark Summit for 1.70 total by Lenox Mall, but that's hardly earthshattering. They had several other open games, but Oblivion with no manual and in a generic clear case was. . . 59.99?!!! CUsa is ridiculous. They had a couple of original xbox live 3 month kits that have been clearanced elsewhere for like 5 bucks. I got a price check and it was $40!!!!!! You can get a 12+1 card at CC this week or next for that price.

Guin, made it to that Walmart and they have the 1000 mem card at $30. Funny the 251 was only $10 less. It's crazyy as this thread made me wonder what mem card I have for my GC. I actually had to go blow the dust off it and look. Oddly enough I have a 251 and an Interact 4MB? I really don't even remember buying the Interact MC. Weird.

[quote name='jdawgg76']They had several other open games, but Oblivion with no manual and in a generic clear case was. . . 59.99?!!! CUsa is ridiculous.[/quote]And people wonder why they aren't making a profit. ARGH sometimes the stupidity of people in retail drives me insane.

Guin, made it to that Walmart and they have the 1000 mem card at $30. Funny the 251 was only $10 less.
Thanks dawg, I appreciate you're thinking to look.
blush.gif

I forget where I was (possibly douglasville's CC) and I saw a 251 for about $30. Another brilliant pricing choice. But I see this alot with all sorts of memory cards. You can find a new flash card ofyour choice (xD, memory stick duo, et cetera) and within the same store, you can often find a 1gig for ~30 on sale, and a 256 of the same card for ~40. :roll:

It's crazyy as this thread made me wonder what mem card I have for my GC. I actually had to go blow the dust off it and look. Oddly enough I have a 251 and an Interact 4MB?
I had a third party psX card once upon a time... it rocked, it was huge and I had all my game saves on there. And then one day out of the blue, the entire card corrupted and *lightening bolt and thunder crash* I lost ALL MY SAVES!!!! *scream of horror*

I know, it's a pretty graphic story for a fun-loving group like the ATL family, but someone had to speak out.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']Has anybody checked out any of the local Compusa's for any store closing deals??[/quote]

I found this GBA kit for 85 cents. My girlfriend has a GBA and if I can bloody remember when I saw one for $40 I'll pick one up for Animal Crossing .. and original Tetris.

Buckhead BestBuy has about 20 of the resupplied Castlevania for $9.99. Don't forget the $5 off coupon

[quote name='Gator']Anyone know if the CompUSA in Buckhead closed? I looked on their webpage, and they list Knoxville as having the closest store. I don't remember the one in ATL closing... weird.[/quote]None of them are closed yet. They no longer show up on the CompUSA website but they're still open for now. If you click the link for 'closing stores' you'll find the buckhead one. Not that it gives you anything else but the address.

Actually I just got back from the CompUSA near Lenox...

Prey LE $16
College Hoops 2K6 $4.50
NHL 2K6 $9

And I know this isn't a game, but I thought it was a good price...
LOST Season 1 $20

Slowly the deals are getting a little better. But I have a feeling all the amazing deals will be scooped up by employees. The guy ringing me up was telling me he has gotten something like 15 games for .85 cents each this week.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Actually I just got back from the CompUSA near Lenox...

Prey LE $16
College Hoops 2K6 $4.50
NHL 2K6 $9

And I know this isn't a game, but I thought it was a good price...
LOST Season 1 $20

Slowly the deals are getting a little better. But I have a feeling all the amazing deals will be scooped up by employees. The guy ringing me up was telling me he has gotten something like 15 games for .85 cents each this week.[/quote]

Damn, I was just there the other day. Were there more of Prey LE? What about the other two and were those 360? Did the store have a new % off or was it still 10-30? The last of all my questions is were the games marked now or did you take them to the register to get a price? Thanks, man.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Damn, I was just there the other day. Were there more of Prey LE? What about the other two and were those 360? Did the store have a new % off or was it still 10-30? The last of all my questions is were the games marked now or did you take them to the register to get a price? Thanks, man.[/quote]
Sorry, last Prey LE. They were still 10% off, but were marked way down, and were priced correctly. They were up front on a clearance rack. Yeah they were for the 360. (I'm an achievements whore) :) I saw phantasy star universe for like $30 and was tempted, but they had a ton of copies, so I think I'll wait.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Sorry, last Prey LE. They were still 10% off, but were marked way down, and were priced correctly. They were up front on a clearance rack. Yeah they were for the 360. (I'm an achievements whore) :) I saw phantasy star universe for like $30 and was tempted, but they had a ton of copies, so I think I'll wait.[/quote]

A clearance rack? I saw an open games shelf by the entrance and a DVD rack by the checkout. Were they mixed in with the DVDs? Can't believe I missed that. Thanks for the update.

[quote name='jdawgg76']A clearance rack? I saw an open games shelf by the entrance and a DVD rack by the checkout. Were they mixed in with the DVDs? Can't believe I missed that. Thanks for the update.[/quote]
Yeah, they were mixed in with the DVDs. The green 360 cases caught my eye.

It must not have been on that rack at the time then cause I scoured it. No big deal as I found a Prey LE at the Duluth location. Of course, the standard version was $27 -10%. By the way, thanks travisty as I probably would have missed it since last time I was at Duluth it was marked at $50 and it was remarked this time. If you hadn't posted it, I wouldn't have returned for awhile to check it out and it probably would have been gone.

[quote name='jdawgg76']It must not have been on that rack at the time then cause I scoured it. No big deal as I found a Prey LE at the Duluth location. Of course, the standard version was $27 -10%. By the way, thanks travisty as I probably would have missed it since last time I was at Duluth it was marked at $50 and it was remarked this time. If you hadn't posted it, I wouldn't have returned for awhile to check it out and it probably would have been gone.[/quote]
No prob man, its a pretty fun game, and the price is right. :)

In other news, my house got broken into today. They kicked in my door and stole my TV. Savages!

[quote name='TravistyOJ']No prob man, its a pretty fun game, and the price is right. :)

In other news, my house got broken into today. They kicked in my door and stole my TV. Savages![/quote]

No shit? Does this happen often?

[quote name='Tybee']No shit? Does this happen often?[/quote]
Nah, I've lived in Candler Park for almost two years, and It's never happened to me or any of my neighbours. Go figure I guess.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Nah, I've lived in Candler Park for almost two years, and It's never happened to me or any of my neighbours. Go figure I guess.[/quote]
Well, I'm sorry to hear it. That must not be a good feeling (not just losing your TV, but the feeling of insecurity and violation).

Ironically, we drove through Candler Park several times today and commented how it's getting nicer and nicer.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']No prob man, its a pretty fun game, and the price is right. :)

In other news, my house got broken into today. They kicked in my door and stole my TV. Savages![/QUOTE]

I'm genuinely sorry about your loss, OJ. The only thing you lost was your TV? They just left your 360 and stuff?? I mean, that's a good thing, naturally, but I'm just a bit surprised......hope it all works out for you!

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']I'm genuinely sorry about your loss, OJ. The only thing you lost was your TV? They just left your 360 and stuff?? I mean, that's a good thing, naturally, but I'm just a bit surprised......hope it all works out for you![/quote]
Yeah, I was too, It was pretty odd. To be honest, the TV wasn't really that expensive, but like you said Tybee, the feeling of someone breaking the door to your home is the most disturbing. C'est La Vie

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Yeah, I was too, It was pretty odd. To be honest, the TV wasn't really that expensive, but like you said Tybee, the feeling of someone breaking the door to your home is the most disturbing. C'est La Vie[/quote]

Are you insured? At least if they forced the door you can make a claim. The thing now is "bumping," or using a blank key specially cut with shallow bumps that will defeat most locks without damaging it or even leaving any evidence that it was picked. As you can imagine, this makes it a very difficult to prove the break-in and file a claim.

[quote name='Tybee']Are you insured? At least if they forced the door you can make a claim. The thing now is "bumping," or using a blank key specially cut with shallow bumps that will defeat most locks without damaging it or even leaving any evidence that it was picked. As you can imagine, this makes it a very difficult to prove the break-in and file a claim.[/quote]
Actually No I'm not. I know that's pretty irresponsible, I just kept putting it off. This was kind of a wake up call to get it. But really it wouldn't have helped me too much since the TV would have been about the same as the deductible.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Actually No I'm not. I know that's pretty irresponsible, I just kept putting it off. This was kind of a wake up call to get it. But really it wouldn't have helped me too much since the TV would have been about the same as the deductible.[/quote]

True. Maybe this was a warning from the great beyond. ;)

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']any you guys going to backlash?[/quote]

No, WWE PPV tickets are ridiculously expensive. I was just down in Orlando for the Destination X PPV. It was pretty good.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']Nah, I've lived in Candler Park for almost two years, and It's never happened to me or any of my neighbours. Go figure I guess.[/QUOTE]

Where in CP? I used to live on that one small apartment building halfway up that hill on McClendon (1338) and my wife used to live in Oak Point! We just bought a house in Edgewood but have fond memories of living in CP and would actually like to move back across Dekalb some day.

Sucks to hear about your door though :(.

[quote name='simple']Where in CP? I used to live on that one small apartment building halfway up that hill on McClendon (1338) and my wife used to live in Oak Point! We just bought a house in Edgewood but have fond memories of living in CP and would actually like to move back across Dekalb some day.

Sucks to hear about your door though :(.[/quote]
Wow, you were really close. I live on North Ave across from Mary Lin Elementary. Aside from this incident, I really love it here. My lease is up in May but I still want to stay in this area.

Sorry to hear about the violation and theft, OJ. The fact that people do crap like that at all is just gross.

Some vandals came through my neighborhood a couple years ago and not only smashed mailboxes, the pulled them right out of the ground and threw a bunch of them into the bed of someones pick up truck. And then of course they smashed my rear window (and i'm guessing they shot a bb of some kind, because now i have a little rusted bullet spot on the back of my car) and smashed my neighbors minivan (the family with the eight thousand foster kids)... fortunately the birthday cake they had hidden in the minivan for a surprize party the next day... it got thrown down the street, but amazingly it was in perfect condition. still in the cake tupperware thingy and all.

In other news, my brother and I are finally taking our trip to scope out colorado later this week. keep us in your prayers, please.

Anybody seen Puzzle Quest for the DS anywhere? Would like to pick this up in the Target sale, if possible. Otherwise I can wait.

Also, did anyone else hear about those two GameStop's that got jacked up this week?

[quote name='Tybee']Anybody seen Puzzle Quest for the DS anywhere? Would like to pick this up in the Target sale, if possible. Otherwise I can wait.

Also, did anyone else hear about those two GameStop's that got jacked up this week?[/QUOTE]

Yes to your second question, Tybee. I was just in the Stone Mountain store last night. They and the Snellville store got robbed. In the Stone Mountain store, they say the robbers only got away with a few games and 1 system, or something. It wasn't much in that store. Not sure about Snellville....

[quote name='Tybee']Anybody seen Puzzle Quest for the DS anywhere? Would like to pick this up in the Target sale, if possible. Otherwise I can wait.

Also, did anyone else hear about those two GameStop's that got jacked up this week?[/quote]
I found it at the Best Buy at Perimeter, but it was the last copy. I'm not sure how much it is at Target, but with the Gamepro coupons you can get it at Best Buy for $25. According to Best Buy's website, the one in Edgewood (near Little Five) has some left. And just in case you were wondering..... I LOVE THAT GAME!! :)

Now about the Gamestop's getting jacked up..... do tell.

I heard that the store up here at Mansell/Hwy 9 got robbed, too, but don't know the details. I think it happened a couple of weeks ago. I'll ask around.

Anyone else playing CONTACT?

I think I just bought the last two GGCs in Atlanta at the Edgewood BB. All the stores are switching over to new, generic cardboard-backed GCs, and trips this week to Kennesaw, Cumberland, and Edgewood confirmed that all the GGCs have seemingly been pulled. I was thankful to find these two.

I'm going to try and get over to Perimeter in a little bit and see what's up there.

Started a thread about it here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133409

[quote name='Tybee']I think I just bought the last two GGCs in Atlanta at the Edgewood BB. All the stores are switching over to new, generic cardboard-backed GCs, and trips this week to Kennesaw, Cumberland, and Edgewood confirmed that all the GGCs have seemingly been pulled. I was thankful to find these two.

I'm going to try and get over to Perimeter in a little bit and see what's up there.

Started a thread about it here:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133409[/quote]

I've been noticing this as well. At least there are regular coupons in the Gamepros now. I will save you a trip on Perimeter though, they haven't had any there for months. :(

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I've been noticing this as well. At least there are regular coupons in the Gamepros now. I will save you a trip on Perimeter though, they haven't had any there for months. :([/QUOTE]

Same with Northlake, Lithonia, Snellville and Stone Mountain, so don't bother going there either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back