General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

jdawgg, I spoke with the manager of the main GR around here, and she said that none of this districts GRs have recieved new DSlites since around Christmas time. We're bone dry out here.

Sorry. =(

[quote name='guinaevere']jdawgg, I spoke with the manager of the main GR around here, and she said that none of this districts GRs have recieved new DSlites since around Christmas time. We're bone dry out here.

Sorry. =([/quote]

Thanks for looking. I actually found one store with two white DSLs. I called every store in the metro area. BTW, the store locator works better if you enter a smaller search area. When I searched by 10 miles, all of the stores in my area come up, but when I searched 25 miles (which I did at first) it doesn't show the closest, just a random selection of stores in the 25 mile area. It also shows closed stores so I called some houses and cell phones. I'll have to go a about 40 minutes from work, so I may go next week.

Those DS Lites must have lasted a long time. About half of the stores have none, but had one a month or two ago, and most of the other half had a pink one. Some had two. One had a black one two weeks ago when I called around to see if this endeavour was worth it. Obviously, they don't have it anymore.

Just a heads up ... I stopped by the Edgewood EBGames today and saw that they had some used Gameboy Players in stock. I decided to purchase one on a whim, and despite it being marked at $30, it rang up as $20! I think they have one or two more in stock if any of you are interested.

Coupled with a Metroid Prime 3 pre-order (Cheapy D's E3 impressions be damned) and a download of the Picross DS demo, and I was pretty happy with myself.

[quote name='Gator']Just a heads up ... I stopped by the Edgewood EBGames today and saw that they had some used Gameboy Players in stock. I decided to purchase one on a whim, and despite it being marked at $30, it rang up as $20! I think they have one or two more in stock if any of you are interested.

Coupled with a Metroid Prime 3 pre-order (Cheapy D's E3 impressions be damned) and a download of the Picross DS demo, and I was pretty happy with myself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's at least 4-5 at my store here.

[quote name='Gator']Just a heads up ... I stopped by the Edgewood EBGames today and saw that they had some used Gameboy Players in stock. I decided to purchase one on a whim, and despite it being marked at $30, it rang up as $20! I think they have one or two more in stock if any of you are interested.
quote]

Do they have a price adjust policy? I paid $30 just a month ago!!!

[quote name='Gator']Coupled with a Metroid Prime 3 pre-order (Cheapy D's E3 impressions be damned) and a download of the Picross DS demo, and I was pretty happy with myself.[/quote]

I think, in general, Cheapy tends to give 360 games significantly more credit than they deserve and Wii games significantly less. 360 certainly gets the greatest amount of talk time on the CAGcast. Witness virtually no discussion of Nintendo titles from his E3 trip, save for the shrug at Prime 3 and admitting that Wii Fit will probably sell pretty well. The announcement of Mario Kart Wii, Phantom Hourglass, and Mario Galaxy didn't even get mentioned. Plus, both he and Wombat have said repeatedly that they think the Prime series pales in comparison to the 2D Metroids, which, while a valid opinion, does not jibe with the general consensus.

So yeah, take his views with a grain of salt.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Thanks for looking. I actually found one store with two white DSLs. I called every store in the metro area. BTW, the store locator works better if you enter a smaller search area. When I searched by 10 miles, all of the stores in my area come up, but when I searched 25 miles (which I did at first) it doesn't show the closest, just a random selection of stores in the 25 mile area. It also shows closed stores so I called some houses and cell phones. I'll have to go a about 40 minutes from work, so I may go next week.

Those DS Lites must have lasted a long time. About half of the stores have none, but had one a month or two ago, and most of the other half had a pink one. Some had two. One had a black one two weeks ago when I called around to see if this endeavour was worth it. Obviously, they don't have it anymore.[/quote]

Um, you should check out the Target at Perimeter, I was in there the other day and saw about 30 DS lites about 10 of each color....

[quote name='golddbz2000']Um, you should check out the Target at Perimeter, I was in there the other day and saw about 30 DS lites about 10 of each color....[/quote]

Thanks, but I have a $125 GC for Blockbuster that I would prefer to use on a DS Lite and I actually drove out to Hiram on my break to pick up the LAST non pink DS Lite at a Gamerush in the entire metro area. Apparently, someone else bought the other white one that was there last Friday when I called and was told that there were two.

I've been meaning to explore more of the area anyway. By the way, Hiram seemed pretty nice and not too small townish until I ran into two of the small town prerequisites: the old man who stops right at the entrance and slowly finishes his cigarette and being called sweet pea by the cashier at KMart. Reminded me of home. . .

Those ladies in the electronics department were possibly the sweetest and most helpful KMart employees ever. Plus there were TWO! instead of zero like at most KMarts. I picked up Tomb Raider Legend 360 for 11 after tax and there were at least two left. They had a ginormous amount of games, but I forgot my clearance list. I was hoping to find a different outcome than when I go to my local KMart.

Heads up: Wii's in stock at Walmart in Loganville. Also the Walmart in Monroe has the Logitech PS3 wireless controllers clearanced for $20, GC Memory Cards for $9 and the black 360 controllers for $48.

This is a long shot, but any CAGs in Rome, GA? I did an inventory lookup of MGS Portable Ops (on clearance @ CC), and Rome is the only place that has it.

Went to the Circut City up by Lenox mall (3637 Peachtree Road Northeast Atlanta) They had two GameBoy Micros for $25 each. Seems to be a good deal. There was a black and silver one if I can recall correctly (comes with face plates).

I'm located in Lenox Park btw. Good to see so many CAG's here, but probably not for deals though.

I also went to Lenox CC tonight. Didn't see the micros, which I really don't need anyway. ;)

I did pick up what looked to be the last DMC Collection. In case they have more to put out, it was on a lower shelf at floor level with other collection packs.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Those ladies in the electronics department were possibly the sweetest and most helpful KMart employees ever. Plus there were TWO! instead of zero like at most KMarts. I picked up Tomb Raider Legend 360 for 11 after tax and there were at least two left. They had a ginormous amount of games, but I forgot my clearance list. I was hoping to find a different outcome than when I go to my local KMart.[/quote]Yeah, there's a girl in the Hiram Kmart Electronics who's nice, and an older lady who fills in on breaks who's a doll, but knows nothing about the section. I just weep for what happened to their game displays... it used to be nice and you could easily see everything. Last time I was there it was a disaster.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']This is a long shot, but any CAGs in Rome, GA? I did an inventory lookup of MGS Portable Ops (on clearance @ CC), and Rome is the only place that has it.[/quote]Unfortunately, that CC and TRU are right across the street from Berry College and usually there are some FW/SD kids who usually clean out all the good stuff. If I were going out to Rome this week, I'd check for you.

Don't forget the Kmart out I-20 West near douglasville. I haven't been there for a year but it was terrible last time I was out there after visiting a client. At some point the store expanded the electronics section 1 aisle however now they didn't have the single entrance to the electronics department. There solution block off the new aisle with a tv. It was a maze to get to the games and they were just through in the shelves. It was always a great place to find the clearance games though if you found someone to let you dig through the shelves. Best haul I ever found was there...

Its been over a year since I hit hiram as well. Last time I was there a guy in his 20's was looking after the department and it was very well organized. Unfortunately he would buy everything worth a damn and even hide things behind the display case for the next markdown. He would tell you exactly what they had clearance left, but it was picked over. Same thing use to go for the cartersville/canton Kmart as well the department leads took anything and everything...

Doraville and Douglasville were the 2 that had the best items normally. Marietta and Buford would have things, but for some reason never bother scanning the clearance prices into the system.

Now keep in mind its been a year since I hit any of these stores, but I use to have the Atlanta area mapped out quite well since I had clients in Buford, Cumming, Alpharetta, McDonough, Jonesboro, Douglasville, Woodstock, Marietta, and downtown.

The Douglasville Kmart doesn't have a huge selection as far as clearance games go.

But I like to stop by there every now and again, just to visit the nice gentleman who works that deparment. He's a sweetheart to talk with.

which guy.... there is a older guy name Michael that works in that department and i talk to him everytime to go to douglasville. he's a cool dude.

Anyone seen a TRU in the ATL area that is selling Bioshock early? Combine that with the 20% coupon an item and the 50% discount when buying Madden and you have pretty sweet deal.

Hey, any of you guys go to school at Tech? I'm starting this year moving up from Florida, and I was wondering if there are any good deal spots to be found within a reasonable distance of the school.

[quote name='Gamerguy']Hey, any of you guys go to school at Tech? I'm starting this year moving up from Florida, and I was wondering if there are any good deal spots to be found within a reasonable distance of the school.[/quote]

Cumberland mall and surrounding area about 15 minutes to the north on 75 - TRU, CC, BB, Target, Kmart, few thrift shops...

Area is normally decent during any clearance sale since no one actually shops the area...

[quote name='Gamerguy']Hey, any of you guys go to school at Tech? I'm starting this year moving up from Florida, and I was wondering if there are any good deal spots to be found within a reasonable distance of the school.[/quote]

You have a gun, right?

Don't listen to all those other guys. Its not that bad downtown around campus.
Unless your gonna pay the 500 or so dollars for parking a semester, you're really limited to where Marta can take you as there is nothing within walking distance of campus.

As a Tech grad, you're going to need a car or take MARTA to even get to a decent video game store. I suspect with all the other gamers and rampant piracy on a college campus, you probably don't need to pay for games, just play other people's.

FYI - I still loved it there, so don't worry. And I never had issues about being in "Midtown". When you're on campus, it's not really like being in the middle of Atlanta at all.

[quote name='Felder71']
FYI - I still loved it there, so don't worry. And I never had issues about being in "Midtown". When you're on campus, it's not really like being in the middle of Atlanta at all.[/quote]

Yeah except the rampant problem with homeless and if you go off campus it is like being in the middle of atlanta. The bad news is the rundown crackhouse across from the varsity was shutdown so you have to go a extra 2 houses...

[quote name='kjauburn']Yeah except the rampant problem with homeless and if you go off campus it is like being in the middle of atlanta. The bad news is the rundown crackhouse across from the varsity was shutdown so you have to go a extra 2 houses...[/quote]
Oh jeez. Ease up. My wife went there, and her brother's still there right now. I know to those of you who live in East Bumble, Midtown is a scary place, but it's not frickin' Detroit. My brother-in-law liked it so much, he got a condo just off campus with some of his buddies so he wouldn't have to live somewhere else. And he has a car.

I do think you'll be limited in what you could do without a car, but that's true of most places in Atlanta, sadly. But MARTA's easy to access from Tech and you can use it to roll over to places like Edgewood, where there's an EB, a Best Buy, and a Target (though that's where most of the other Tech folks will be going as well, so things may be a bit picked over).

I spent some time down at Tech back in the early 90's. They did clean it up quite a bit for the olympics, from the jokes you can tell it wasn't for me. However the crackhouse being shutdown across from the varsity wasn't a joke, it just happen a few months back. While areas of the campus are safe we all know some areas right off campus aren't the best. One of the data centers we use is over near 14th and its not exactly a great area when the lights go out...

[quote name='kjauburn']I spent some time down at Tech back in the early 90's. They did clean it up quite a bit for the olympics, from the jokes you can tell it wasn't for me. However the crackhouse being shutdown across from the varsity wasn't a joke, it just happen a few months back. While areas of the campus are safe we all know some areas right off campus aren't the best. One of the data centers we use is over near 14th and its not exactly a great area when the lights go out...[/quote]

The worst crack house bust I ever saw was in the subdivision where I grew up in East Cobb. All nice $300k+ homes, lots of Republicans. A cop took a bullet in the leg and a suspect was killed. And it was as normal a looking house as could be. They even kept it landscaped. So shit's crazy everywhere. You can't live in fear.

[quote name='Tybee']The worst crack house bust I ever saw was in the subdivision where I grew up in East Cobb. All nice $300k+ homes, lots of Republicans. A cop took a bullet in the leg and a suspect was killed. And it was as normal a looking house as could be. They even kept it landscaped. So shit's crazy everywhere. You can't live in fear.[/QUOTE]

Which subdivision?

While I was in school, drug dealers came looking for this kid. Ended up shooting the brother (my age) in the stomach. Everyone cried for a day or so.

The only thing the homeless I have meet do is ask for money for "Marta" or try to sell you stuff.
Just say you don't have anything and they will just leave you alone.

The area will probably get a little better now since Tech bought the State apartments and hopefully the excessive amount of drug dealing going on there will go down.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Which subdivision?

While I was in school, drug dealers came looking for this kid. Ended up shooting the brother (my age) in the stomach. Everyone cried for a day or so.[/quote]

Arthur's Vinyard, near the intersection of Johnson's Ferry and Post Oak Tritt.

[quote name='Tybee']Arthur's Vinyard, near the intersection of Johnson's Ferry and Post Oak Tritt.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I went to school at Walton, friends with others all around. What year was this?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Interesting. I went to school at Walton, friends with others all around. What year was this?[/quote]
I went to Pope. I think this was in the late 90s, I think just around the time I got out of college...Sometime between '97 and '00? Wish I had a news clipping or something. I just remember some friends and I walking through the neighborhood and seeing tons of police cars and a news crew. The reporter filled us in on what happened. We saw the ambulance pulling away. It's weird. The main thing I remember is that my friends had all peroxided their hair at the time as part of some stunt, and looked stupid as Hell.

Anyway, that house is still there, still looks perfectly normal and nicely landscaped. I'm sure a family moved in and they were told as little as possible. :roll:

That's part of the reason I'm so glad I don't live in East Cobb anymore: The hypocrisy. Just because your house costs $1 million doesn't mean Johnny isn't upstairs doing drugs. If anything, all of that disposable income helped a serious drug trade thrive in the area, as it does today (ask any cop in East Cobb).

[quote name='Tybee']I went to Pope. I think this was in the late 90s, I think just around the time I got out of college...Sometime between '97 and '00? Wish I had a news clipping or something. I just remember some friends and I walking through the neighborhood and seeing tons of police cars and a news crew. The reporter filled us in on what happened. We saw the ambulance pulling away. It's weird. The main thing I remember is that my friends had all peroxided their hair at the time as part of some stunt, and looked stupid as Hell.

Anyway, that house is still there, still looks perfectly normal and nicely landscaped. I'm sure a family moved in and they were told as little as possible. :roll:

That's part of the reason I'm so glad I don't live in East Cobb anymore: The hypocrisy. Just because your house costs $1 million doesn't mean Johnny isn't upstairs doing drugs. If anything, all of that disposable income helped serious drugs thrive in the area, as they do today.[/QUOTE]

Agreed there. At least you 'feel' safe, though. It's better than living in Clayton County.

Wow, almost a whole page resulted from my post. Heh.

Indeed I am an "ATL newbie." I don't have any family within 6 hours of the school, and I've only been up here twice to visit it. I actually like what I've seen of Downtown Atlanta. Despite there being a lot of shitty areas, it's a lot better than Downtown Jacksonville, and the homicide rate is a lot lower too! (haha)

I guess my question was answered - I'm not keeping a car for my first year because I think I'd only really use it to drive home, and it's cheaper to fly. Marta can get me to a Best Buy or GameStop I know for sure, but I can probably hitch rides with people from the school if I need to go anywhere else.

I'll stop by the topic periodically to see if there's anything "OMFG" worthy, but thanks for the help.

Gamerguy when it comes to getting in on deals Atlanta is a great area. Your going to be somewhat limited with Marta. However you always can get around to lenox mall or perimeter mall with the northbound trains. Quite a few choics actually.

As for the deals, if you are active in this thread you will see Atlanta Cagers go out of the way to pick up games for each other.

FYI I saw the following still in stock at the Northpoint TRU for $9.98 + additional 20% off. This is what I can remember when it comes to DS, PSP, and 360 games. I am still looking for Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney if anyone finds a extra clearance one at TRU...

DS
Bust A Move
Gunpey
Metroid Pinball
Nanostray
Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest
Tomb Raider Legend
True Swing Golf

PSP
Bomberman
EA Replay
Godfather
GTA: LCS
Gunpey
Lumines II

Call of Duty 2 GOTY(skn261685)
Final Fantasy XI

[quote name='kjauburn']Gamerguy when it comes to getting in on deals Atlanta is a great area. Your going to be somewhat limited with Marta. However you always can get around to lenox mall or perimeter mall with the northbound trains. Quite a few choics actually.

As for the deals, if you are active in this thread you will see Atlanta Cagers go out of the way to pick up games for each other.[/quote]
Plus we have our own mod. Hi, Gwen.

We should compile a list of all ATL CAG's. I'm curious what the total # is. We'll even let CocheseUGA in.;) Are you living back here now, BTW?

neocisco
kjauburn
guinaevere
Tybee
CocheseUGA
Gamerguy
SeanAmI122886
Felder71
jdawgg76
Dazz
TravistyOJ
CottenGamer
El Gray
Gator

[quote name='neocisco']Plus we have our own mod. Hi, Gwen.

We should compile a list of all ATL CAG's. I'm curious what the total # is. We'll even let CocheseUGA in.;) Are you living back here now, BTW?[/quote]

Truthfully a new ATL thread wouldn't hurt with someone keeping the op update with ATL Cag info and local deal info. If it was last year I would jump in, but after the baby and a new job I don't have much free time.

Anyone else think a new thread might be worthwhile? Anyone want to take on the task? Gwen? Neocisco?

Edit: GamerGuy I am stealing your avatar...

[quote name='neocisco']Plus we have our own mod. Hi, Gwen.

We should compile a list of all ATL CAG's. I'm curious what the total # is. We'll even let CocheseUGA in.;) Are you living back here now, BTW?

neocisco
kjauburn
guinaevere
Tybee
CocheseUGA
Gamerguy
SeanAmI122886
Felder71
jdawgg76
Dazz
TravistyOJ
CottenGamer[/QUOTE]

Still in Augusta. Hope to be back this time next year.

[quote name='kjauburn']FYI I saw the following still in stock at the Northpoint TRU for $9.98 + additional 20% off. This is what I can remember when it comes to DS, PSP, and 360 games. I am still looking for Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney if anyone finds a extra clearance one at TRU...

DS
Bust A Move
Gunpey
Metroid Pinball
Nanostray
Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest
Tomb Raider Legend
True Swing Golf

PSP
Bomberman
EA Replay
Godfather
GTA: LCS
Gunpey
Lumines II

Call of Duty 2 GOTY(skn261685)
Final Fantasy XI[/QUOTE]

I actually know one of the guys that works there, at least till he goes back to school. If you need any info on the Northpoint TRU, I can try and get it for you.

Probably too late now, but I just wanted to let folks know I saw 6 or 7 Wii systems at the Super WalMart off Barrett Parkway today. Might be worth a look if you need one and you're in the area.

Two things

1) Fry's in Alpharetta had about 16 Wiis this afternoon. Only catch is you have to buy a bundle with 2 games. I figure there has to be 2 games that you want though, or else you wouldn't really be buying a Wii.

2) I should have checked while I was there, but FidoDido just noted that the price of Bioshock 360 at Fry's is going to be $50 (better than going to CC). My paper is gone now so can anyone confirm that deal will be going on in ATL as well? Thanks for any info.

[quote name='Felder71']Two things

1) Fry's in Alpharetta had about 16 Wiis this afternoon. Only catch is you have to buy a bundle with 2 games. I figure there has to be 2 games that you want though, or else you wouldn't really be buying a Wii.

2) I should have checked while I was there, but FidoDido just noted that the price of Bioshock 360 at Fry's is going to be $50 (better than going to CC). My paper is gone now so can anyone confirm that deal will be going on in ATL as well? Thanks for any info.[/quote]

Sorry, it's $60 in the Fry's ad. You could just PM the CC price at another store.

Anyone interested the Alpharetta TRU has the following games in stock with the latest price drop on monday. The extra 20% off should be in play since they are clearance. Plus there is a $5 off $25 coupon active...

PSP
Lemmings 19.98
Loco Roco 19.98
Family Guy 19.98
Killzone Liberation 19.98

GameCube
Baten Kaitos Origins 19.98

They did not have either of the following games as of Sunday night so no one wastes a trip...

DS
Dragon Quest Heroes 19.98
Final Fantasy III 19.98

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back