General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='neocisco']Sorry, it's $60 in the Fry's ad. You could just PM the CC price at another store.[/QUOTE]
Neo, are you certain about the $60? I ask because the Friday ads everywhere said $60. However, the Sunday ads in Houston, CA, Seattle, etc. have now been saying $50, like they just got wind of CC sale. So did you see the $60 price in the Friday ad or Sunday ad? Thanks for the clarification.

I haven't seen the atlanta ad personally for Fry's, but they do regional ads quite a bit. There have been several times items in san jose/dallas marked on sale are regular price in ATL...

injred hands weekendin gardn. friggen gergia clay:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='kjauburn']FYI I saw the following still in stock at the Northpoint TRU for $9.98 + additional 20% off. This is what I can remember when it comes to DS, PSP, and 360 games. I am still looking for Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney if anyone finds a extra clearance one at TRU...

DS
Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest[/quote]best portof tis game.

hi cisco :)

anyone wants tmake new thred, pm me, ill close this one.

[quote name='Felder71']Neo, are you certain about the $60? I ask because the Friday ads everywhere said $60. However, the Sunday ads in Houston, CA, Seattle, etc. have now been saying $50, like they just got wind of CC sale. So did you see the $60 price in the Friday ad or Sunday ad? Thanks for the clarification.[/quote]

Price match at BB and get those reward zone points, don't drive all the way up to 'retta.

As of 11:40 today there are 8 Wii's at Kennesaw CC. They are not on the floor so they could possibly last a little while.

[quote name='Felder71']Neo, are you certain about the $60? I ask because the Friday ads everywhere said $60. However, the Sunday ads in Houston, CA, Seattle, etc. have now been saying $50, like they just got wind of CC sale. So did you see the $60 price in the Friday ad or Sunday ad? Thanks for the clarification.[/quote]

I got the info from the Friday paper. I didn't see Sunday's.

[quote name='guinaevere']anyone wants tmake new thred, pm me, ill close this one.[/quote]

Just make sure to include a link to the new one before you do. ;)

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Price match at BB and get those reward zone points, don't drive all the way up to 'retta.[/QUOTE]
All the way up? I live closer to Fry's in Alpharetta than any local Best Buy. Don't forget, us CAGs are all over the city.

Moving near the alpharetta fry's later in the year. We bought a house right above windward a few months back, but they are just starting to pull the foundation now. I figure I will be walking around fry's just about every weekend then.

I'm still at Tech, but I'll be outta here by the end of the semester. I've enjoyed my time here, and it's really not as bad as these guys make it out to be.

My MARTA advice to you:
- Lindbergh station: Best Buy, Target(?)
- Lenox / Buckhead station: Lenox mall (gamestop), TRU, and Target
- Dunwoody station: Perimeter mall (gamestop) and Best Buy
- Edgewood/Candler Park station: Edgewood shopping center (EB, Target and Best Buy)

Take the Tech Trolley to the Midtown Station, or walk to the North Ave. station if you're in the freshmen dorms. Also, student monthly marta passes are only $30.

[quote name='Gator']
Take the Tech Trolley to the Midtown Station, or walk to the North Ave. station if you're in the freshmen dorms. Also, student monthly marta passes are only $30.[/quote]

Damn at least marta does something right. Didn't know they had a student discount pass...

Sunday's ad says: "Low Price" under the picture of Bioshock.

Next to Bioshock is Two Worlds is listed as $50.

Sweet action, Jdawgg. Knowing Fry's crazy ad scheme, that means it should be $50 at Fry's and now I can avoid CC and Best Buy. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='neocisco']
We should compile a list of all ATL CAG's.

neocisco
kjauburn
guinaevere
Tybee
CocheseUGA
Gamerguy
SeanAmI122886
Felder71
jdawgg76
Dazz
TravistyOJ
CottenGamer
El Gray
Gator[/QUOTE]

Ooh, me too! I'm in Decatur (just north of the Home Depot up Lawrenceville highway)

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Ooh, me too! I'm in Decatur (just north of the Home Depot up Lawrenceville highway)[/quote]

It's weird. There's a big group of OTP CAGs, and then a big group of Decatur CAGs. lol

We should form teams and have a bowling tournament or something. ;)

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I'm a Candler Park CAG, possibly close enough to be a Decatur CAG. :)[/quote]

That counts. Let's just say ITP vs. OTP. ;)

Not much, but I saw a few clearance items at the Super Walmart off Highway 92 at 575 exit 7.

Black 360 spare battery packs $5 (anyone with a elite looking for one)
DS Rumble Packs $5
Wii Stand (512 ram, glove, stand) $20
Datel Max Media Dock Ds (play mp3/video on ds) $25

The big find was the 20th anniversary optimus prime for $25....

Has anyone seen any wavebirds (new or used) recently? I lost the ability to play 2 player cube games on the Wii when I traded in my old system and only other controller. I always meant to pick up a 2nd wavebird, but it looks like I may have waited too long.

Edit: Wow, looks like I spoke a little too soon. I went to a K-mart after work today and after looking over the glass case, came across a pile of misc clearance electronic toys, and in that mess was a "new" platinum wavebird marked down to $18. The box looked like it had been torn open, run over and slapped back together with packing tape, but all the pieces looked to be in good shape. I'll have to wait until Monday, when my Wii returns from Nintendo, to see if it actually works.

[quote name='rupan_sansei']Has anyone seen any wavebirds (new or used) recently? I lost the ability to play 2 player cube games on the Wii when I traded in my old system and only other controller. I always meant to pick up a 2nd wavebird, but it looks like I may have waited too long.[/QUOTE]

There's quite a few used ones at EB/GS around here.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Ooh, me too! I'm in Decatur (just north of the Home Depot up Lawrenceville highway)[/quote]

I'm also a Decatur CAG. I live near the Universal Joint in Oakhurst.

[quote name='kjauburn']Not much, but I saw a few clearance items at the Super Walmart off Highway 92 at 575 exit 7.

Black 360 spare battery packs $5 (anyone with a elite looking for one)
DS Rumble Packs $5
Wii Stand (512 ram, glove, stand) $20
Datel Max Media Dock Ds (play mp3/video on ds) $25[/quote]

They're all still there if anybody wants anything.

Hey Neo,
Someone posted some CC clearance drops in the main forum. Any word on which games it entails from our resident insider?

I'll just say "You're the man!" in advance.

Now Playing: MOH Underground??? First, I thought Wow and then I realized I never finished that game and now I need to go play it.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Hey Neo,
Someone posted some CC clearance drops in the main forum. Any word on which games it entails from our resident insider?

I'll just say "You're the man!" in advance.

Now Playing: MOH Underground??? First, I thought Wow and then I realized I never finished that game and now I need to go play it.[/quote]

I have about 5-6 PS1 games left and I'm trying to get them done by the end of the year. MoH:U is starting to frustrate me. There are no save points during the levels and the enemy AI is ridiculously accurate. I'm halfway through so I'm going to try to finish.

[quote name='golddbz2000']I live in Auburn...ah, auburn.....[/quote]

Auburn University Alumni. Started using KJAuburn before I went there in 94, when I had to ditch my old handle after TCE started to fall apart. Anyone else here remember the good old days paying a small fortune for internet access. MindSpring really help dropped the cost in this area back in 93.

[quote name='Tybee']Does anyone else find it completely and utterly blasphemous that the GA DOT is issuing Univ. of Florida license plates?[/quote]

Well it makes them easier to spot...

Yeah I'm going to DragonCon. I couldn't talk anyone into going with me though.

I'm looking forward to the Age of Conan Meet and Greet Friday at 7pm, and the Age of Conan demo Sunday at 4pm. Also Sony is supposed to have a Meet and Greet but it isn't in the program yet.

There's a panel about gaming podcasts, but I haven't heard of any of the people in the panel...

Last year I went for just one day and saw the Neverwinter Nights 2 Preview and played lots of board games.

Yeah just send me a PM if you wanna meet up. Any other CAGs?

[quote name='Sideswiper']Well it makes them easier to spot...[/quote]
Rear-end collisions up 500%! ;)

No Dragon Con for me this weekend. Haven't been since I was 14....Which was a long, long time ago. Let's put it this way: The hot new game back then was Battle Chess on the Amiga and I was all hot to meet Larry Elmore, Margaret Weis, and Tracy Hickman. Are they still churning out DragonLance books?

I will, however be at the Decatur Book Festival.

Would love to go. No money for it though. Well, I could go, but then I'd have zero spending money for my trip to chicago next month.

FYI re FYE: Stopped at the FYE at the Arbor Place mall last evening (douglasville). They're NOT getting rid of their game inventory (in fact they've been receiving around 40 boxes of other stores' game inventory). Most other FYEs in the area are ditching the game sections though, if I understood correctly.

Well, maybe look into buying DragonCon tickets around Christmas, it's much cheaper that way.

Margaret Weis will be at DragonCon this year. I think she's started a new Dragonlance trilogy.

When I was 14 I would have loved to go, but I lived in Nowhere, South Carolina. Anyway I'm no spring chicken myself, but I'm looking forward to some crazy geeking out...

My wife is a volunteer at Decatur Book Festival. I probably won't even see her much this weekend, but that's OK.

[quote name='Sideswiper']
Margaret Weis will be at DragonCon this year. I think she's started a new Dragonlance trilogy.
[/quote]

Weis and Hickman are usually there every year. They have a booth and are great about hanging out to talk to the fans. I been going off and on for years now. My wife is going down with me again this year, even though she isn't a geek like me. She enjoys the art show, people watching, and the handful of jewelry dealers that come back every year.

I have to say its overpriced and the people who run it do a half ass job. They still try to run it as a volunteer based small con years and you can't when you reach a certain size. Plus there is a loyalty to the hotels who have been with them for years rather then searching out a new venue.

Buying the tickets in advance (6 months- 1 year) is the best way to go if you know you will be down there. I usually just get a one day ticket and go on fridays. As for spending money I normally end up spending 300-400 down there.

Last year I went for just one day and didn't purchase anything, mainly played a lot of boardgames. I thought I might splurge and spend around $100 this time. $300-$400, wow!

My wife doesn't think she's a geek, but she likes boardgames, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and The Last Unicorn...

Yeah I usually end up getting a piece of artwork or 2 and 1 cool collectible. Since collectibles used to me my business for years I know the markets and alot of dealers still so I do fairly well on them. Normally I look for cool high end collectibles with low production runs. Typically I keep them for my enjoyment to show off in the office. Some pieces are fixtures in the collections others increase in value so much I dump them. Normally they end up paying for themselves. I just sold off a cool statue for $400 I bought earlier last year for $100. Usually sell off a piece I no longer want right before con season to help justify future purchases. Now as for the artwork I am just a junkie bought typically I end up paying $15-80 for a piece, but at this point I have tons and need to maybe thin the herd some.

FYI if you are a dragonlance fan check out larry elmore booth. He gets a booth every year and has some nice lithographs for $50 signed limited to print runs of about 1500.

Also keep you eye out for Rak in the dealers room. He does so cool prints with original chalk drawings of all sorts of characters. I have bought quite a few from him over the years and they are really cool. Especially some of the old school DC characters Flash, GL, Arrow...

[quote name='Sideswiper']Margaret Weis will be at DragonCon this year. I think she's started a new Dragonlance trilogy.[/quote]

Ah, that would be, "Dragons of Profits Dwindling," "Dragons of Dead Horse Beating," and "Dragons of Tired Premise." :roll:

I used to love those books in jr. high. Then my Dad passed me some Tolkien and I left that shit in the dust. ;)

My wife is a volunteer at Decatur Book Festival. I probably won't even see her much this weekend, but that's OK.

Coolness. I'm hoping to see Charles Frazier. "Thirteen Moons" was great. I actually met him shortly after the publication of "Cold Mountain" when he sat in on my Creative Writing class at UGA.

[quote name='Tybee']Ah, that would be, "Dragons of Profits Dwindling," "Dragons of Dead Horse Beating," and "Dragons of Tired Premise." :roll:
[/quote]

Yeah they killed the series, but the first trilogy is still a great series and worthy of a spot on the bookshelf. I have a copy of the hardcover collecting all 3 books signed by weis and hickman.

Its sitting next to my signed copy "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way" with the inscription "Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart." ;)

[quote name='kjauburn']Yeah they killed the series, but the first trilogy is still a great series and worthy of a spot on the bookshelf. I have a copy of the hardcover collecting all 3 books signed by weis and hickman.

Its sitting next to my signed copy "Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way" with the inscription "Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart." ;)[/quote]
Chronicles was the first one, right? I remember that and Legends being great. Tales was okay. And it got silly from there on out. The fact that they're still producing them all these years later is as amazing as it is sad. But my fantasy reading these days is limited pretty much to Tolkien, Harry Potter, and His Dark Materials, so I'm probably not the best judge.

[quote name='Tybee']Chronicles was the first one, right? I remember that and Legends being great. Tales was okay. And it got silly from there on out. The fact that they're still producing them all these years later is as amazing as it is sad. But my fantasy reading these days is limited pretty much to Tolkien, Harry Potter, and His Dark Materials, so I'm probably not the best judge.[/quote]

Yeah I can't believe the new dragonlance series are still best sellers is the crazy part. I was a huge fan of Robert Jordan until he turned his 6 book series into a never ending drawn out epic. Terry Goodkind is the only one I follow closely now, but he is turning a little Jordanesque lately...

[quote name='pentapenguin']I don't think I've seen this thread before and just wanted to say hi to my fellow Atlanta area CAGers. :)[/quote]

Welcome aboard...

[quote name='Tybee']Does anyone else find it completely and utterly blasphemous that the GA DOT is issuing Univ. of Florida license plates?[/QUOTE] Um no. Lots of schools have license plates in states that they are not located in. I think it's absurd for people to make a big deal out of it.

News flash: UGA is not the only university in this state.

If there is a market for UF plates, then it makes sense for the state to reap the profit that the market offers. Given the extraordinary success of UF's athletic program, I'm sure there has been a large number of requests for the plates.

It really doesn't get much more simple than that.

[quote name='pentapenguin']I don't think I've seen this thread before and just wanted to say hi to my fellow Atlanta area CAGers. :)[/quote]
I have to give you the obligatory correction. It's CAGs, not CAGers. Carry on.:)

[quote name='Gator']Um no. Lots of schools have license plates in states that they are not located in. I think it's absurd for people to make a big deal out of it.

News flash: UGA is not the only university in this state.

If there is a market for UF plates, then it makes sense for the state to reap the profit that the market offers. Given the extraordinary success of UF's athletic program, I'm sure there has been a large number of requests for the plates.

It really doesn't get much more simple than that.[/quote]
Of course having the name Gator doesn't exactly make you seem unbiased but I agree.:)

[quote name='neocisco']I have to give you the obligatory correction. It's CAGs, not CAGers. Carry on.:)[/quote]

Okay, okay, you got me -- I stand corrected. What's next? You'll want my PIN number for the ATM machine? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back