General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='Tybee']Ah, that would be, "Dragons of Profits Dwindling," "Dragons of Dead Horse Beating," and "Dragons of Tired Premise." :roll:[/QUOTE]

You almost made me spit up my drink!

And welcome, Pentapenguin.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']You almost made me spit up my drink![/quote]

Sorry about that. ;)

Hey, I sent you a Metroid friend voucher last night, btw.

[quote name='Sideswiper']My wife doesn't think she's a geek, but she likes boardgames, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and The Last Unicorn...[/quote]just saw that for $10 and almost bought it.
[quote name='pentapenguin']Okay, okay, you got me -- I stand corrected. What's next? You'll want my PIN number for the ATM machine? :cool:[/quote]salutations as well..

and yes please
==
No Con this year for me.. i think this is my first year since I moved not going. Oh well. I did pick up FF:CC:gc: at buckhead CC

[quote name='Sideswiper']My wife doesn't think she's a geek, but she likes boardgames, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and The Last Unicorn...[/quote]Depends on the board games. If we're talking grid types, pen & paper type games there's no question she's a geek. If you're talking Clue or Monopoly, she isn't.

Harry Potter is mainstream, The Last Unicorn is what we girls grew up with, so those are fine.

Doctor Who... well, ask her which Doctor is her favorite. Her standing depends on that very answer. If it's the scifi channel new Dr Who, that's no biggie. If she starts espousing the glory days of Pertwee and Tom Baker then you know for a fact, she's a geek. And if she is, say hi for me.

[quote name='pentapenguin']What's next? You'll want my PIN number for the ATM machine? :cool:[/quote]Yay! For once we didn't have to ask for it.

Yes, if you wish to be a true card-carrying ATL CAG, you'll have to fork over your atm number and pin. We've all donated ours. We're like a little commune. Sharing in each others property.

Okay, maybe not.

[quote name='Tybee']Hey, I sent you a Metroid friend voucher last night, btw.[/QUOTE]

Sweet! A mii bobblehead will soon be mine!

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Sweet! A mii bobblehead will soon be mine![/QUOTE]

I sent a voucher to both you and Tybee as well. I've now exhausted my list. Time for more codes. :p

Edit: Whoops. I just realized I've got a different friend code than before. They changed it when they repaired my system. The current one is in my profile now.

Dcon seemed to have larger crowds again this year, but it was even more disorganized as ever. They need to get professional people with some common sense to run it. Its overdue for a venue change as well. A feel dealers I know bailed because of the setup with 3 different dealer rooms and a seperate walk of fame area.

Spent more getting in then I did down there.

I guess it's all about what you're going for. I went to the panel for the Fallen Earth MMO, a panel on goldfarming, a cast of Star Trek Next Gen vs. cast of Battlestar Galactica debate, a Funcom Meet and Greet, a Sony Online Gaming panel, a Doctor Who panel, saw a bunch of famous people, saw a lot of awesome costumes, talked to people about pen and paper games they have designed, hell I'd have to look at the program to remember it all. Had a great time.

Posted this in the CC September thread as well:

There were a couple of Xenogears Ep3s in Kennesaw, and a couple Metal Gear Ops, Metal Gear Acid, and God Hand in Acworth. A bunch of other games but those are the ones that stood out to me. So if you want them, go get them.

Oh yeah and about 4-5 VP2s in Kennesaw not marked at the clearance price.

Have any of you guys heard of that new movie "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters"? I was kind of skeptical when I first saw the trailer, but I saw it in Atlanta last Friday and it was awesome. It's only playing in Atlanta for two more weekends, so I would recommend EVERYONE go see it.

Oh, and of course, I must include a shameless plug. Here's the review I wrote for UGA's student newspaper: Gamers nerd it out in documentary 'The King of Kong'

-Rusty

[quote name='TsuyoiMomonga']Have any of you guys heard of that new movie "The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters"? I was kind of skeptical when I first saw the trailer, but I saw it in Atlanta last Friday and it was awesome. It's only playing in Atlanta for two more weekends, so I would recommend EVERYONE go see it.

Oh, and of course, I must include a shameless plug. Here's the review I wrote for UGA's student newspaper: Gamers nerd it out in documentary 'The King of Kong'

-Rusty
[/quote]

Yup. I'd been hearing about it on the film and video game blogs I frequent for several months now. My parents saw a sneak of it, as did a coworker, and they all raved about it. Hope to check it out this weekend.

[quote name='pentapenguin']Where's that showing? It's in none of the local theatres....[/quote]

Landmark Midtown Art Cinema is the only place I know showing it...

[quote name='kjauburn']Landmark Midtown Art Cinema is the only place I know showing it...[/quote]
That *is* my local theater. ;)

Incidentally, if you go, consider their "5 for $30" deal, which gets you 5 ticket vouchers for $6 apiece. They can be used in any combination (so if you go with four friends, you could all get in at a matinee price) and are good for at least a couple months. The only caveat is that they can't be used Friday or Saturday night. It's a good deal.

[quote name='El Gray']BIG thumbs up for King of Kong from me. I saw it last weekend, and REALLY enjoyed it. Go see it while you can.[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, this is the last weekend it's going to be in Atlanta.

[quote name='TsuyoiMomonga']If I'm not mistaken, this is the last weekend it's going to be in Atlanta.[/quote]

Actually, unless they've held it over (which is possible, because I've heard it's been getting good crowds), it's closing on Thursday.

I can't really say anything that hasnt been said before. I saw it, and it was great! BTW, did u guys realize that Billy Mitchell has taken back the title, and Steve Wiebe is probably working on getting it back too.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I can't really say anything that hasnt been said before. I saw it, and it was great! BTW, did u guys realize that Billy Mitchell has taken back the title, and Steve Wiebe is probably working on getting it back too.[/quote]

Yeah, I looked up twingalaxies after the movie and saw that. Poor Wiebe...

[quote name='Tybee']Actually, unless they've held it over (which is possible, because I've heard it's been getting good crowds), it's closing on Thursday.[/QUOTE]
It's moving to The Plaza FRIDAY. www.plazaatlanta.com More chances to see it! For cheap(ass)er!

Also, the Big KMart on 120 @ Johnson Ferry in Marietta is having a Remodeling Sale. Basically an all-store clearance. 40% off all games. There are some decent titles left, but they all seem to be stickered at list price, so you do the math.

The things that caught my eye were a single copy of Scarface for Wii, and a couple of Portraits of Ruin, but I didn't have time to get someone to check prices for me last night-- they are locked up in a glass case.

[quote name='El Gray']It's moving to The Plaza FRIDAY. www.plazaatlanta.com More chances to see it! For cheap(ass)er![/QUOTE]

That's so great! I didn't get to go to Midtown Art to see it, and I live literally across the street from Plaza. Awesomeness abounds.

[quote name='organicow']That's so great! I didn't get to go to Midtown Art to see it, and I live literally across the street from Plaza. Awesomeness abounds.[/QUOTE]
Oh yeah? I'm about a block away on Blue Ridge. If not for my injured hand, I'd issue an immediate gaming challenge!

Any interest in an official Atlanta CAG outing to see King of Kong? Lots of folks (myself included) still haven't seen it, and I get the feeling some who already have might want to see it again.

[quote name='El Gray']Oh yeah? I'm about a block away on Blue Ridge. If not for my injured hand, I'd issue an immediate gaming challenge![/QUOTE]
Wow, no shit? I live in the North High Ridge apts, on the N Highland side! We're practically neighbors - my front patio is directly across the street from that Antiques shop and the bike store.

When that hand heals - game on!

Do you sit on the front stoop and stare longingly at the Atlanta Cupcake Factory? :D

Yeah, I should be back in the game in a month or so.

Hmmm...I'll be at my inlaws during the day Saturday and the Georgia/Alabama game is at 8:00 (priorities!). Guess I could DVR it.

The 9:30 show tomorrow night might work.

[quote name='Gamerguy']Anyone going to the Halo 3 midnight launch at the Buckhead Best Buy?[/quote]

Nope. Is it me or does anyone else find it strange Best Buy has only one Atlanta store set aside for this. Alpharetta is normally always open for midnight launches.

Eh, I dunno. I don't have a 360 nor do I plan on buying one, but a ton of people from Tech are going so I might tag along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back