General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

There were six or seven sitting in a line outside BB waiting on Halo about an hour ago. Along with 99X.

That BB has several games marked with red dots for a 50% off sale. Most 29.99 and 19.99 360 games were included like:

Call of Duty 2
Call of Duty 3 Original Version(not the gold edition which is 29.99)
Tony Hawk Project 8
DOAX 2
Armored Core 4
NBA 2k6
NBA 2k7
NBA 06
NHL2k7
Madden 07 CE
Table Tennis
WWE 2007
Perfect Dark Zero
Superman
TMNT

PS2
Tales of the Abyss

Xbox
Flatout 2

There were more, but that's all I can remember. Picked up a COD3, but maybe I should get gold instead?

Also, the price doesn't come up automatically and the checkout girl knew nothing of it although an electronics person had told me about it. When I told the girl about it, she called a manager who confirmed it and overrode the standard price.

I was at the BB on Pleasant Hill and the games section guy knew nothing of it, but there were stickers on most of their PS3 launch games and a smaller amount of 360 games including COD2 and not COD3 of which they only had gold ed.

Also, there are big gaps in the Xbox and PS2 sections that weren't there Friday, and bigger than the small number of red dot games in those sections would fill. Anyone know what's going on with that?

[quote name='jdawgg76']

That BB has several games marked with red dots for a 50% off sale. Most 29.99 and 19.99 360 games were included like:
[/quote]

I saw a bunch of PSP games with green dots on 'em at the Edgewood BB if anyone's interested.

tales of the abyss for 50% off is really tempting but i think by the time i got out there i'd have made up the difference in gas. any word on clearances at the cumberland bb? i was there to get halo but i was far too focused to go back to the game section.

i'm new posting in the section btw, so hi :)

[quote name='kristaia']tales of the abyss for 50% off is really tempting but i think by the time i got out there i'd have made up the difference in gas. any word on clearances at the cumberland bb? i was there to get halo but i was far too focused to go back to the game section.

i'm new posting in the section btw, so hi :)[/quote]
Welcome to the ATL thread, the greatest regional thread in all of CAG. I'll send you my Paypal info so you can send me your dues for being allowed to post in this most illustrious of topics.

[quote name='Gamerguy']Nice price on Tales of the Abyss...[/quote]

There was no price sticker on tales nor a price divider. It's not listed on the site. What would the price be?

Also, the Best Buy by the Northlake Mall had no stickers or signs of any type of clearance.

I saw one Tales at the K-Mart in Marietta on Hwy 41 (right near the Arbys/Popeyes) yesterday. Didn't get it price scanned as it was behind the glass but since people are reporting it being on clearance in the K-Mart thread, figure someone here might want to look into it.

Also saw and bought Futurama Vol 4 and WWE Ladder Matches at the Walmart across the street for 19.99 each.

I was at the Northlake Target today -- lots of games at $13.98 on the endcaps. Not great selections, but hey. What I can recall:
Chibi Robo (10.98)
Slugfest 2006 - PS2
Call of Duty 2 - XBox
Black - XBox
Need for Speed Most Wanted - XBox
Midnight Club 3 - XBox
Super Monkey Ball Adventure - Cube
A mess of PSP games as well

There's a Hollywood Video going out of bidness on 92, over pretty close to 575. I stopped in there tonight, and bought a lightly scratched copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 PS2 for about $16.

It worked on the friend's PS2 I tested it on earlier... hopefully mine will read it!

[quote name='neocisco']Welcome to the ATL thread, the greatest regional thread in all of CAG. I'll send you my Paypal info so you can send me your dues for being allowed to post in this most illustrious of topics.[/quote]

i'll get right on that

cumberland best buy is useless, as always. a couple $5 and $10 games but nothing memorable.

[quote name='El Gray']There's a Hollywood Video going out of bidness on 92, over pretty close to 575. I stopped in there tonight, and bought a lightly scratched copy of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 PS2 for about $16.

It worked on the friend's PS2 I tested it on earlier... hopefully mine will read it![/quote]
I went by and was going to buy Baldur's Gate: DAII-PS2 but the disc was just mauled.

[quote name='neocisco']I went by and was going to buy Baldur's Gate: DAII-PS2 but the disc was just mauled.[/QUOTE]
Heh, yeah, I asked, "Can I check the disc to see if it's scratched?" to which the counter guy replied, "Oh, it will be."

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Is that game great/rare/both?

[quote name='neocisco']I went by and was going to buy Baldur's Gate: DAII-PS2 but the disc was just mauled.[/QUOTE]

What was the price? Did you get it??

[quote name='El Gray']Heh, yeah, I asked, "Can I check the disc to see if it's scratched?" to which the counter guy replied, "Oh, it will be."

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Is that game great/rare/both?[/quote]

It's pretty rare and even opened copies can easily sell for $40 or more.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']What was the price? Did you get it??[/quote]

$16 for the clearance price. I didn't buy it. Believe me, and El Gray can confirm it, I would be shocked if the game loaded up at all. It was in that bad of shape. Plus it didn't have the instruction booklet either. All sales are final so it was an easy decision to make.

[quote name='neocisco']It's pretty rare and even opened copies can easily sell for $40 or more.

$16 for the clearance price. I didn't buy it. Believe me, and El Gray can confirm it, I would be shocked if the game loaded up at all. It was in that bad of shape. Plus it didn't have the instruction booklet either. All sales are final so it was an easy decision to make.[/QUOTE]

That's a huge bummer. If it was in good condition, you could have doubled or tripled your investment. However, it's likely that it wouldn't have even been there if it was in good condition, so at least you don't have to feel too bad.

I went to the one in Snellville and they were gutted, for the most part. A lot of older games, but not much for the 360.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']That's a huge bummer. If it was in good condition, you could have doubled or tripled your investment. However, it's likely that it wouldn't have even been there if it was in good condition, so at least you don't have to feel too bad.

I went to the one in Snellville and they were gutted, for the most part. A lot of older games, but not much for the 360.[/quote]
I wonder if one of those CD/DVD polishing/cleaning/resurfacing things would bring this back to life. Probably a dangerous game to play, given that it could work for part of the disc but still crash well into the game.

What are people doing with these discs to fuck them up so badly?

[quote name='Tybee']I wonder if one of those CD/DVD polishing/cleaning/resurfacing things would bring this back to life. Probably a dangerous game to play, given that it could work for part of the disc but still crash well into the game.

What are people doing with these discs to fuck them up so badly?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, probably not worth it. $16 would be too high for me for that risk, even if it's BG: DA2. I mean, I would probably buy it in order to sell it for a profit, but I'm sure the buyer would be none too pleased with its condition. I hear those resurfacing things work well though. I just don't know what kind of shape the disc should be in to begin with.

On Good Morning America this morning, they had a segment where a woman said you could just spray a scratched CD/DVD/CD-ROM with Pledge and wipe it off and it would resurface it.

I'm skeptical.

[quote name='Tybee']On Good Morning America this morning, they had a segment where a woman said you could just spray a scratched CD/DVD/CD-ROM with Pledge and wipe it off and it would resurface it.

I'm skeptical.[/QUOTE]

Was the segment called The S.C. Johnson Happy Home Fun Tips Break? If so, they may have been a little bit biased.

[quote name='El Gray']Was the segment called The S.C. Johnson Happy Home Fun Tips Break? If so, they may have been a little bit biased.[/quote]

Well, it also included the scintillating tips that you could use a stack of quarters to make C batteries work in place of D, and cell phones dropped in water can be buried in dry rice to wick out the moisture. :roll:

They interruped Robin Roberts' chemo for this?!

[quote name='Wolfkin']Dudes.. Puzzle Quest Dropped
$20
I've been torn about playing the rom on my R4 but now I'll have a version that doesn't crash when I close my case. Sweet.[/quote]

that's pretty sweet. anyone seen it on sale in person?

also, when i was at cc (off cobb near cumberland mall) to pick up phantom hourglass i caught a glimpse of god of war in the sale bin. i was in a hurry so i couldn't investigate. might go back if i have a chance and see if it's still there and maybe force myself a deal...

[quote name='kristaia']that's pretty sweet. anyone seen it on sale in person?[/quote]In Buckhead BB since I was already there I checked the shelf it's dropped in stores. Matter of fact I forgot to use my 10% off coupon so I might buy another one with it and return the pick up one.

[quote name='El Gray']Tonight (Weds) and Thursday nights at 9:45 are your last chances to see KING OF KONG at The Plaza!

www.plazaatlanta.com[/quote]

We went to that last show on Thursday. Loved it!

Three questions (one with spoilers):

1)
So has it been confirmed that Mitchell has again overtaken Wiebe since the film was released? Live or via video tape?

2) Who the Hell is the Rickey of Rickey's Hot Sauce (Billy Mitchell's hot sauce). Never says in the movie and it's not listed on their FAQ.

3) Doesn't it seem foolhardy to be producing a dramatized version of this story? The whole allure is the "Oh my God, I can't believe these are grown men and they are behaving this way" factor (except for Wiebe). That and the real life personalities are just so out there. Seems like trying to replicate that with actors would be ridiculous.

Just got back from vacation and found a Brandsmart ad from Saturday at work.

DS Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix 18.88
DS Pokemon Pearl 24.88
PS2 Guitar Hero Encore Rocks the 80s 38.88
PS2 Green Dual Shock 16.88
Wii AC Joy Controller grip 6.88

Madden 08
DS 18.88
PSP 28.88
PS2 and Wii 38.88
360 and PS3 48.88

Prices good thru Tuesday the 9th so don't delay to go there or if you're like me, to go PM it.

I don't know the first two answers, Tybee, but I guess the third one is "MONEY!" They know it's a good story, and that there are plenty of folks out there that simply won't go see a documentary. Put a couple of mid-level stars in it, sex it up a little bit, and there you have ticket sales.

Of course, it may suck...

to the first QUEstion. I'm pretty sure that happened soon after completion of the doumentary or just before they released to theatres.

[quote name='Tybee']If you have a Costco membership, I saw at least 8 copies of Puzzle Quest at the Cumberland mall location for $16.[/quote]--
here's the question do you think I'd be able to buy a copy at Costco and Return it at bestbuy or does it have a giant sticker on it.

[quote name='Wolfkin']--
here's the question do you think I'd be able to buy a copy at Costco and Return it at bestbuy or does it have a giant sticker on it.[/quote]

I think Costco uses pretty big stickers, but not sure about that.

Was in Northpoint BBuy today at lunch, and they had ONE Wii left from the shipment of 18 they'd gotten in. Things are still going fast when they appear.

Random shipments, too. The guy said that last time, they'd gotten 80.

[quote name='El Gray']Was in Northpoint BBuy today at lunch, and they had ONE Wii left from the shipment of 18 they'd gotten in. Things are still going fast when they appear.

Random shipments, too. The guy said that last time, they'd gotten 80.[/quote]

That's crazy. I guess Reggie wasn't blowing smoke when he said there will be shortages this Christmas as well. You know it's only going to get worse as Mario Galaxy, Guitar Hero III, and Smash Bros. come out and we get closer to Christmas.

did a little shopping today. the cobb target (near cumberland mall) actually had some things clearanced..not sure how good a deal it is, but the things that stood out:

Zelda Four Swords (GC) 13.98
Dragon Quest 8 13.98 (only had one copy)

Then they had a whole new isle set up with price point games. Everything seemed to be priced as it should be, except I saw Xenosaga 2 for 9.99 and Star Wars Ep 3 (PS2) for 14.99 which i think might be a little cheaper than elsewhere.

Also Cumberland mall has an FYE that's got all their games and accessories at 50% off. Ofcourse it's FYE to it's mostly overpriced anyway (I saw Metroid Prime 2 "on sale" for 39.99). I saw DMC3 special edition used for 14 (before the 50%). Other than that a lot of xbox stuff (lots of faceplates, saw a camera in there, too), some ps2 and gc, and some psp (including UMDs), ds and gba scraps. I nabbed the last copy of Mario Kart DS which ended up being $18. Good luck if you go. It's a mess in there.

[quote name='kristaia']did a little shopping today. the cobb target (near cumberland mall) actually had some things clearanced..not sure how good a deal it is, but the things that stood out:

Zelda Four Swords (GC) 13.98
Dragon Quest 8 13.98 (only had one copy)

Then they had a whole new isle set up with price point games. Everything seemed to be priced as it should be, except I saw Xenosaga 2 for 9.99 and Star Wars Ep 3 (PS2) for 14.99 which i think might be a little cheaper than elsewhere.

Also Cumberland mall has an FYE that's got all their games and accessories at 50% off. Ofcourse it's FYE to it's mostly overpriced anyway (I saw Metroid Prime 2 "on sale" for 39.99). I saw DMC3 special edition used for 14 (before the 50%). Other than that a lot of xbox stuff (lots of faceplates, saw a camera in there, too), some ps2 and gc, and some psp (including UMDs), ds and gba scraps. I nabbed the last copy of Mario Kart DS which ended up being $18. Good luck if you go. It's a mess in there.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm... I might have to hop a ride and see. I need a faceplate so I can be stylish!

[quote name='kristaia']Also Cumberland mall has an FYE that's got all their games and accessories at 50% off. Ofcourse it's FYE to it's mostly overpriced anyway (I saw Metroid Prime 2 "on sale" for 39.99). I saw DMC3 special edition used for 14 (before the 50%). Other than that a lot of xbox stuff (lots of faceplates, saw a camera in there, too), some ps2 and gc, and some psp (including UMDs), ds and gba scraps. I nabbed the last copy of Mario Kart DS which ended up being $18. Good luck if you go. It's a mess in there.[/quote]

Ha, when I called the FYE at Gwinnett Place, they said that all FYEs in the area that were dropping games were shipping off their stock to other stores instead of liquidating. Why am I not surprised he was wrong?

[quote name='Tybee']I wonder if one of those CD/DVD polishing/cleaning/resurfacing things would bring this back to life. Probably a dangerous game to play, given that it could work for part of the disc but still crash well into the game.[/quote]After a great deal of online searching, I found a place out near to where my sister in law used to live, about an hour drive from my house. It's a dvd wherehouse, they buy bulk lots of used dvds and resell them. Complete dive, IMO.

So I drive out there for them to resurface my Karaoke Revolution vol 1 & 3 discs. The guy goes to take them both, but I asked if he could do volume 1 first and if it looks good, then he can do the others. He comes back out after a few minutes and asks if I'd like a couple free dvds. The game was in pieces. Just... completely shattered. "I dunno what happened..." he tells me. :bomb:

When I was in chicago last month, I stopped in a gamecrazy and they can do the resurfacing in the stores for something like $3 a disc. Next time I go out there to visit I'm going to bring along some crappy game I don't care about to test it first. And if it works without busting the gamedisc, then I'll have them a couple used games that need some fixing up.

What are people doing with these discs to fuck them up so badly?
Tap dancing on them with sandpaper-soled shoes. On gravel pavement. That's my best guess.

Tybee, I'm as confounded as you. It takes just about zero effort to keep a disc perfect. Dad was always into new technology. Before laserdiscs, we had those rca videodiscs. Even though the disc itself was never exposed, we were still taught to handle the media carefully.

What does it take for someone to take a cd or dvd out of a jewel case? Thumb on outer edge of disc, middle finger pushes down on center spindle thingy, disc pops out. Hold the disc on out and inner edges, never touching data. Place disc in tray or feeder. Where in this equation does the disc get scratched?

FYI, the Best Buy in Stone Mountain had a decent selection of 50% off games.

Table Tennis (about 4 million copies left)
NBA Live 06
Amped 3

DS
True Swing Golf
Elite Beat Agents

Lots of Xbox and PS2 stuff too.

I picked up Table Tennis for $10. Not bad.

I'm sure other Best Buy stores in the area have similar deals.

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']FYI, the Best Buy in Stone Mountain had a decent selection of 50% off games.

Table Tennis (about 4 million copies left)
NBA Live 06
Amped 3

DS
True Swing Golf
Elite Beat Agents

Lots of Xbox and PS2 stuff too.

I picked up Table Tennis for $10. Not bad.

I'm sure other Best Buy stores in the area have similar deals.[/quote]

BB off Sidney Marcus in Buckhead is still doing this.

So I drive out there for them to resurface my Karaoke Revolution vol 1 & 3 discs. The guy goes to take them both, but I asked if he could do volume 1 first and if it looks good, then he can do the others. He comes back out after a few minutes and asks if I'd like a couple free dvds. The game was in pieces. Just... completely shattered. "I dunno what happened..." he tells me. :bomb:

When I was in chicago last month, I stopped in a gamecrazy and they can do the resurfacing in the stores for something like $3 a disc. Next time I go out there to visit I'm going to bring along some crappy game I don't care about to test it first. And if it works without busting the gamedisc, then I'll have them a couple used games that need some fixing up.

Was at an independent store the other day and the manager was talking about getting a resurfaced game in that looked good, but the lead track was apparently damaged as it was not recognized by their xboxes.

Anyone hitting the TRU buy2get1? I was considering checking if the Lenox location had Tony Hawk, Katamari, and Orange Box in stock, whenever I get some time today. Anyone had any luck so far?

I went on Sunday, and got PGR 4 and 2 copies of Orange Box (1 for a friend). Unfortunately, the Tucker TRU had PGR 4 and no Orange Boxes, and the Lenox one had Orange Boxes but no PGR 4, so I had to go to both and do an exchange. It was annoying but it worked. Anyway, we got the last 2 Orange Boxes, so I doubt Lenox has any OBs left. I would recommend calling around, because even on Sunday it felt like the pickins were slim. Theres always online as an option too.

Good luck!

[quote name='guinaevere'] What does it take for someone to take a cd or dvd out of a jewel case? Thumb on outer edge of disc, middle finger pushes down on center spindle thingy, disc pops out. Hold the disc on out and inner edges, never touching data. Place disc in tray or feeder. Where in this equation does the disc get scratched?[/quote]non-uniform cases. Oh sure it's easy when you can just press in the middle. But I have cases mostly cheap DVDs now that I think about it. Which are not designed to be pressed in the middle. I find it rather annoying because you have to pry from the sides.

Either which way I've seen the way some of my friends treat CDs both music and gaming. It makes me shudder. I used to just put the disc in their cases when I was bored because I couldn't stand to see any game even Madden ## just lying around naked.

[quote name='TravistyOJ']I went on Sunday, and got PGR 4 and 2 copies of Orange Box (1 for a friend). Unfortunately, the Tucker TRU had PGR 4 and no Orange Boxes, and the Lenox one had Orange Boxes but no PGR 4, so I had to go to both and do an exchange. It was annoying but it worked. Anyway, we got the last 2 Orange Boxes, so I doubt Lenox has any OBs left. I would recommend calling around, because even on Sunday it felt like the pickins were slim. Theres always online as an option too.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

I JUST got back from the Tucker TRU and they had at least (and maybe only) 1 copy of HL:OB in stock. I picked up Tony Hawk:pG, Stuntman and NBA 2K8.

There's a plastic crate just before the video game section at the Edgewood BB that has a bunch of 9.99 games. Not great, mind you, but cheap. Heatseeker for the Wii, Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 for 360, a couple of poker games for the 360, and some PSP and DS titles that I didn't really pay attention to.
There are also a number of PS2, XBox, and Cube games for 9.99 in the register area. Nothing very exciting apart from MGS3, but you already have that, right?

If anyone cares at this point, Fry's in Alpharetta has a shit-ton (yes, that's a technical term) of Wiis. Like maybe 50 or more. But as always with Fry's and high demand systems, they want to bundle it. The good news...it's a small good bundle. $300 for the Wii, the Wiimote charger which CheapyD raved about, and an extra nunchuk (I don't get it either), but overall, if you need a Wii for Christmas or now, that seems good to me.

So I've gotten messages from other CAGs about what prices they have at their KMarts and TRUs for PS2 Games and I've found that the local stores here charge much more.

For Instance:
Radiata Stories- KMART- Theirs: $7 - Ours: $15
Rogue Galaxy - KMART - Theirs:$10 - Ours: $30
Okami - TRU - Theirs: Under $20 - Ours: $40

Anyone else noticed this or am I just shopping at all the wrong stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back