General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='kristaia']
Also Cumberland mall has an FYE that's got all their games and accessories at 50% off. Ofcourse it's FYE to it's mostly overpriced anyway (I saw Metroid Prime 2 "on sale" for 39.99). I saw DMC3 special edition used for 14 (before the 50%). Other than that a lot of xbox stuff (lots of faceplates, saw a camera in there, too), some ps2 and gc, and some psp (including UMDs), ds and gba scraps. I nabbed the last copy of Mario Kart DS which ended up being $18. Good luck if you go. It's a mess in there.[/quote]

Picked up the Metroid Prime 2 that was there. It rang up as 24.99. I guess it was in the system at the regular price, but they were happy to change it to 19.99 since there was a 39.99 tag. Not super cheap like when I kept passing on it @ 10 at Blockbuster and other stores cause I didn't have the cash and then no Targets around me had it when they clearanced it and I did have cash. Now it's usually 40 on ebay and impossible to find new. I found it once for 20 before I saw the ebay prices, but that KMart closed before I could get back. Thanks for the heads up. Guy working the counter said it would get shipped out at the end of the week. Mostly junk left especially for the handhelds.

[quote name='Jam424']So I've gotten messages from other CAGs about what prices they have at their KMarts and TRUs for PS2 Games and I've found that the local stores here charge much more.

For Instance:
Radiata Stories- KMART- Theirs: $7 - Ours: $15
Rogue Galaxy - KMART - Theirs:$10 - Ours: $30
Okami - TRU - Theirs: Under $20 - Ours: $40

Anyone else noticed this or am I just shopping at all the wrong stores?[/quote]

I noticed the same thing about okami and several other "clearance" games at TRU, but when I tried to return okami the first time it rang up $19.99, then when I tried to buy it back it rang up $39.99.

Also, the camp creek target has a bunch of copies of DQ8 and chibi robo if anyone is interested.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']There's a plastic crate just before the video game section at the Edgewood BB that has a bunch of 9.99 games. Not great, mind you, but cheap. Heatseeker for the Wii, [/QUOTE] Wait, are you saying the Heatseeker is only $10!? *gets in car and starts driving*

*returns from fastest trip to edgewood BB ever*
Well there was a bin, but no Heatseeker. A few Lost in Blue 2's and Pokemon Trozei's.

Sucks I missed out on the Heatseeker; it's not even in their inventory anymore.

[quote name='Gator']Sucks I missed out on the Heatseeker; it's not even in their inventory anymore.[/quote]

Sorry man. There were at least three copies when I was there. (I don't think you're missing much with that game, honestly.) :D

So the Target in Buckhead has dropped the clearence prices for the games that were previously 13.98 down to 9.98. They had one copy of metroid pinball, Legend of Zelda 4 swords was in the glassed gamecube section that I would imagine has dropped as well. Gun for the gamecube, a couple of psp games, some ps2, and xbox/xbox 360. Didn't see anything really worth it but thought it would be nice to know.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Not sure if any of y'all heard, but a Gamestop employee at the store on Cobb Parkway South in Marietta was killed as part of a robbery. Here's the AP link -- http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14391267/detail.html[/QUOTE]

I just saw it on Kotaku. Looks like it might have been an accidental death due to him being tied/gagged. Still, I am just livid right now. I REALLY want this guy in jail for life.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Not sure if any of y'all heard, but a Gamestop employee at the store on Cobb Parkway South in Marietta was killed as part of a robbery. Here's the AP link -- http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14391267/detail.html[/quote]
Home from work with a cold and saw it on the news at noon. Really, really sad. And of course the perp fits every conceivable stereotype: Ugg boots, baseball cap cranked sideways. He was able to complete his ensemble by stealing the dead manager's Civic. :roll:

I'm sure he's shitting himself right about now with the knowledge that he's wanted not for armed robbery, but for murder.

Gamestop has a problem with robberys for years and haven't done shit about it. The mansall store was robbed twice in the morning in the past 3 years at gun point...

If I were opening a GS by myself I'd have to have one of those signs that says "proprietor may or may not have a gun" (along with actual said gun). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that guy's family files a lawsuit against GS at some point.

I was talking to an AM at a GS today (Joseph at the old Rhino, kj). He told me that Matt had a plastic bag put over his head which, combined with the tape, is what caused the suffocation. The stores closed early today because they're having a meeting to update everyone and offer grief counseling. They also had a security guard come in for their close down. Don't be surprised if you see security guards at the stores, at least for the forseeable future.

[quote name='neocisco']I was talking to an AM at a GS today (Joseph at the old Rhino, kj). He told me that Matt had a plastic bag put over his head which, combined with the tape, is what caused the suffocation. The stores closed early today because they're having a meeting to update everyone and offer grief counseling. They also had a security guard come in for their close down. Don't be surprised if you see security guards at the stores, at least for the forseeable future.[/quote]

Managers get so screwed in that chain. They really should do something long term to address some of the issues incuding the constant robberies.

I'm not sure but I thought i heard on the news this morning that they caught him. Just before they went into a story about a thief who got trapped in a shaft above women's restroom.

I stopped in a Gamestop last night and one of the guys who works there said the father of the guy who was killed waited outside and he had to watch his son die. Damn.

[quote name='Tybee']What's more sad is all the idiots on Kotaku arguing that criminals should be publicly tortured and put to death. Nice.[/quote]

Sad maybe, but not MORE sad.

[quote name='guyinga']I stopped in a Gamestop last night and one of the guys who works there said the father of the guy who was killed waited outside and he had to watch his son die. Damn.[/quote]

He sounds a little confused. The father of the second employee (the one who didn't die) was waiting outside to pick up his son until the thief lured him inside and tied him up with his son and the manager, Matthew Cherry. It's likely he saw Cherry suffocate to death, but Cherry was not his son. From every account I've read, Cherry's dad was not present at the time of the incident.

[quote name='Tybee']Has anyone seen Zack & Wiki or Phoenix Wright 3 around town?[/QUOTE]

I picked up Zack & Wiki yesterday at the Cumberland Gamestop. I think they only had one other copy at the time.

[quote name='Tybee']He sounds a little confused. The father of the second employee (the one who didn't die) was waiting outside to pick up his son until the thief lured him inside and tied him up with his son and the manager, Matthew Cherry. It's likely he saw Cherry suffocate to death, but Cherry was not his son. From every account I've read, Cherry's dad was not present at the time of the incident.[/quote]
Tybee's definitely correct. Cherry's dad was not there at the time of this tragedy.

[quote name='neocisco']I was talking to an AM at a GS today (Joseph at the old Rhino, kj). He told me that Matt had a plastic bag put over his head which, combined with the tape, is what caused the suffocation. [/quote]The murderer stayed in there for over 90 minutes. He kept going back to check on them. That suffocation was not accidental or unintentional. And nothing's bringing Matthew back.

ps. Hope y'all don't mind, I updated the thread title. It doesnt help the Cherry family or the other victims but I felt for the month, it's appropriate.

[quote name='guinaevere']ps. Hope y'all don't mind, I updated the thread title. It doesnt help the Cherry family or the other victims but I felt for the month, it's appropriate.[/quote]
That's nice Gwen. Good idea.

On a happier note, the Cumberland GameStop still had a copy of Zack & Wiki. Yay!

When I went to pick it up, it smelled of smoke in the mall. As I was checking out, I told the clerk I was really sorry about what happened up the road. The guy suddenly looked sad and a little angry and said, "Well, we just had another thing next door a few hours ago." Apparently, some asswipe thought it'd be a hoot to start a fire in the shoe store next door. The GameStop guys were upset because they felt like someone was going to try and tie the two incidents together and it was going to be more bad press for them. So I guess morale is pretty low. I told them to hang in there.

[quote name='Tybee']As I was checking out, I told the clerk I was really sorry about what happened up the road. The guy suddenly looked sad and a little angry and said, "Well, we just had another thing next door a few hours ago." Apparently, some asswipe thought it'd be a hoot to start a fire in the shoe store next door. The GameStop guys were upset because they felt like someone was going to try and try the two incidents together and it was going to be more bad press for them. So I guess morale is pretty low. I told them to hang in there.[/quote]Well, it's sobering. It's a crappy job (retail can be fun as a kid, but in truth, the job blows. You make money for someone else. A lot are publicly traded, but still, you're busting your tail schilling pre-orders or credit cards or whatever corporate/the man has you selling the customer... customers are crabby and don't even say "hi" or "thanks" or "please" or even treat you as a person...

It's a choice to go into retail, sure. But it's thankless in many ways, and at the moment these guys are asking themselves if this is what they want their lives to be lived for. Almost every store in the atl districts have been robbed at one point or another. Most of the personnel get that when you're facing a gun you don't argue, you give 'em what they want and let them just leave. This was an armed robbery, Cherry did everything right by the accounts I've been privy to, and he's dead.

Cuz some sleazebag who was too freakin lazy to work for what ever it is he wanted, too friggen self absorbed to do without whatever he wanted, too much of a leach on the system to be a productive member of society. So he does it his way and hits up an easy target. What gives this guy the right to take ANYTHING that isn't his. Dear God, he goes and takes a life! There's so much about this I want to scream out about this, and what's it going to change?

The times I've been in there, Matt's always been a sweet guy. But crap, he could be a louse and that doesn't matter, you don't-

...I became a Christian a few years back. I'm supposed to pray for this murderer that he repent. That he change and blah blah blah. But when some cretin like this comits such an evil act, I want him punished. in the very worst way.

Sorry guys. I don't mean to lose my cool here. I see other people as our reason for living. We're here to help each other out, we're all in this together. I freak when people instead of improving themselves, exploit themselves or each other; instead of offering kindness to someone who needs it, snickers at them. Life isn't about ME and my ego. It isn't about YOU and your wants. It's so much freakin more and every day I swear I see every freakin body just pissing their existances away on absolutely NOTHING.

That's the problem bro. Some people just don't give a crap what they do to others. Read up on psychopaths and sociopaths to try and understand their mindset. The worst thing you can do is let their actions bring you down and doubt what you believe in.

I believe everything happens for a reason. I don't know what it is in this case and the pieces may be part of some much bigger picture than I'll ever comprehend. My heart and prayers go out to Matt's friends and family and pray they can overcome this tragedy.

[quote name='El Gray']I played Rock Band last night. It is awesome. You should try it, too.

Just don't break anything, and ruin it for the rest of us.[/quote]
I'll work those skins like Animal! RAH! RAH! RAH! RAH!

I was at Six Feet Under with a bunch of friends on Friday after doing the night tour of Oakland Cemetery they were having for Halloween. We were waiting to be seated and I noticed the bar had this campaign going where you could donate to the cemetery in exchange for a piece of paper with a tombstone on it that you could decorate and they would hang it on the wall. Right in front of the entrance was one reading "R.I.P. Gunpei Yokoi" and covered with Game Boy, Kid Icarus, and Metroid illustrations.

I geeked out, but none of my friends are gamers, so it was hard to explain to them. But my wife humored me and thought it was pretty cool.

[quote name='Tybee']"R.I.P. Gunpei Yokoi" and covered with Game Boy, Kid Icarus, and Metroid illustrations.

I geeked out, but none of my friends are gamers, so it was hard to explain to them. But my wife humored me and thought it was pretty cool.[/quote]

Am I geek because I wanna go down there just to see that? /sigh
I remember when I used to go to bars to drink. Now I just go to eat and/or watch football. I'm old.

[quote name='El Gray']I hear there's a Rock Band demo station at Perimeter Best Buy. Might go check that out tonight or tomorrow on the way home.[/quote]

I took a break from work and went to check it out. It is SOOOO fun, I cant to get it. We couldnt figure out how to use the mic tho, not sure if it was plugged in correctly.

Anyway, the guitar felt a little cheap, im hoping thats just because its an early version for the demoes, but the drums were awesome.

:D

Hey ATL guys, has anyone found a copy of Tiger Woods 07 for PS3 for less than $19.99? My local Target did not have any copies.

EDIT: This is my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask about this. I apologize if I shouldn't.

[quote name='Forsaken']Hey ATL guys, has anyone found a copy of Tiger Woods 07 for PS3 for less than $19.99? My local Target did not have any copies.

EDIT: This is my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask about this. I apologize if I shouldn't.[/QUOTE]

You absolutely can ask that question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, but feel free to talk about anything (gaming or otherwise) that relates to Atlanta. What town are you in?

[quote name='Ubiiquitous']You absolutely can ask that question. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, but feel free to talk about anything (gaming or otherwise) that relates to Atlanta. What town are you in?[/quote]

Roswell/Marietta.

[quote name='Forsaken']Hey ATL guys, has anyone found a copy of Tiger Woods 07 for PS3 for less than $19.99? My local Target did not have any copies.

EDIT: This is my first post in this thread, so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask about this. I apologize if I shouldn't.[/quote]
Looks like it's hard to find around town. Using the ASIN number searching tool:

http://www.schumanfamily.com/fatwallet/targetasin.php?ie=UTF8

and the ASIN number

B000JHO4CO

Looks like only Smyrna has limited quantities available. Unsure of their price.

Hey guys. I've been combing the Kmarts for their clearance 360 games, and I've been finding some pretty good stuff. However, I've yet to find Rockstar Presents Table Tennis. I would buy it in a heartbeat since it's only $7 (before the 30% off if they're still doing that), but I can't find it. If anyone spots Table Tennis at Kmart please let me know.

Also, if you're not taking advantage of this deal, do it now! You could easily flip some of these cheap games at Gamerush (not so much Gamestop since they don't give you crap for older games).

[quote name='TsuyoiMomonga']Hey guys. I've been combing the Kmarts for their clearance 360 games, and I've been finding some pretty good stuff. However, I've yet to find Rockstar Presents Table Tennis. I would buy it in a heartbeat since it's only $7 (before the 30% off if they're still doing that), but I can't find it. If anyone spots Table Tennis at Kmart please let me know.

Also, if you're not taking advantage of this deal, do it now! You could easily flip some of these cheap games at Gamerush (not so much Gamestop since they don't give you crap for older games).[/QUOTE]

I found it last week at Best Buy Stone Mountain for $9.99. They had a good dozen left. From what I hear, other Best Buys in the area are doing the same thing with some 360 games; clearancing them out, that is.

Anyone seen any Wii's for sale in the Atlanta area? I've been looking and everyone is still sold out. Let me know if you find one.

I saw someone purchase a Wii at the Target at Atlantic Station when I went to pick up Guitar Hero III. They're sold out now, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back