General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='El Gray']Pretty good clearance racks at Buckhead and Edgewood Target this week. I got Excitetruck and Trauma Center:2nd Opinion for $25 each at Buckhead last night.[/quote]

Really? I've been waiting ExciteTruck since launch but was waiting for a good price. How is it?

Did they have it at Edgewood too? Roughly how many?

[quote name='Tybee']Really? I've been waiting ExciteTruck since launch but was waiting for a good price. How is it?

Did they have it at Edgewood too? Roughly how many?[/QUOTE]
One at each, actually. I bought it at Edgewood a week or so ago for, I believe, 27.98. I found it last night at Buckhead for 24.98, and was going to return the first one. Should I hold onto it for you?

Oh, and I haven't played this copy yet, though I liked it when I played it a year ago.

Thanks to Wiggly and jdawg, I scored Pirates 360 and Sega Rally 360 at the Northlake Best Buy. Thanks guys!

Funny follow-up, I have to pass right by the Stone Mountain store on my way home, so I figured I'd drop in there to see if they had any clearanced games. They absolutely did......................at 50% off......................the ORIGINAL price!!

They were selling Pirates 360 for 50% off of $59.99.

Amazing how 2 Best Buy stores about 12 miles apart can have such HUGE differences in clearance prices. Oh well, I'm extremely happy with my purchases. Heck, even if I hate SRR, I'm sure Gamestop will give me more in trade-in that what I paid for it!

Again, thanks to Wiggly and jdawg!

Thanks, El Gray, for the Excite Truck tip! I grabbed a $25 copy at the Northlake Target last night. I had to sift through a bunch of other stuff as it was way in the back of the endcap. I'm pretty sure it was the last copy.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Thanks, El Gray, for the Excite Truck tip! I grabbed a $25 copy at the Northlake Target last night. I had to sift through a bunch of other stuff as it was way in the back of the endcap. I'm pretty sure it was the last copy.[/quote]Where's that endcap at? I was there a few weeks ago and there was an endcap just beyond the game rows that was jammed overfull of clearance games. Went back a week later and all that was left on the endcap was the PC stuff and a few console games mixed in the cheap game section. I looked all over and couldn't find it. Where did they move it to?

[quote name='Wolfkin']I like excitetruck but the price was too high.. if I have time to stop by buckhead I'll do that.. sounds good.[/QUOTE]
To clarify, I bought the last copy at the Buckhead store. It was actually still in the glass case.

Yeah, I checked Edgewood, Buckhead, Druid Hills, and Northlake. Edgewood and Buckhead were out. Druid Hills had 2 copies, but they were marked with a red sticker at $34.95 and they were in the case still. Northlake had only one (as far as I could tell) and it was in the back of a stack of other games on the back endcap of the game section. Just to the left if you're facing the PS2 games, across from the TV's.
It might be worth checking the Druid Hills location on Sunday. Maybe they'll drop the price again if it doesn't get sold at $35.

Holy crap...I can't believe Pitt actually beat West Virginia. And Oklahoma dominated Mizzou. But I still don't think Georgia will go to the national championship. Everyone seems to be saying LSU will get a big bump ahead of them, and I that's probably fair. Still, would have been nice if Tennessee could have beaten LSU. That probably would have put us in. Stupid creamsicles. But when the worst case scenario for Georgia is the Rose Bowl, it's hard to feel down. ;)

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Could anyone check either of the MicroCenters for Elites for me?

Returning mine on Tuesday and I really want to upgrade.[/quote]I might go by there today.. if I do I'll check it out. I need some stuff at the center as it stands anyway.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Could anyone check either of the MicroCenters for Elites for me?

Returning mine on Tuesday and I really want to upgrade.[/quote]

How much is the Elite there? My wife's been surprisingly receptive to the idea of getting me a 360 for Christmas, but it's more likely I'll end up with a Premium, especially if I can find it at a good price ($300 or less).

Bumping, because shills don't need to stay on top. Have a nice Sunday, everyone. I'm gonna go hit Edgewood BB right now, and see if they have any Wiis for my sister.

[quote name='Tybee']How much is the Elite there? My wife's been surprisingly receptive to the idea of getting me a 360 for Christmas, but it's more likely I'll end up with a Premium, especially if I can find it at a good price ($300 or less).[/QUOTE]

$450, same as everywhere else. The Premium is $350, but I think they are still selling refurbs for around $230.

I'm getting the $400 giftcard for the unit to put towards the Elite, I sure hope they have them. I'm down to 3GB left, and I'd really like the black.

They got 27 Wiis in at Edgewood BBuy for today, and of course they were all gone by the time I got there around 2. I didn't really expect to find one at that time, but wanted to check.

I did get the last copy of SSX Blur ($10) and the Wii Monkey Ball game ($15), so the trip was not a waste.

There is an AWESOME sale on a bunch of good 2- and 3-disc editions of movies this week for $9.

HEAT, Shawshank, Robocop, Seven, Memento, Serenity, The Right Stuff, Enter the Dragon, The Color Purple, Ghandi, Strangelove, the 3disc Black Hawk Down, Dark Crystal, Boyz n Da Hood, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver.

Pretty much all great.

[quote name='El Gray']I did get the last copy of SSX Blur ($10) and the Wii Monkey Ball game ($15), so the trip was not a waste.[/quote]

Do you know if these prices are chainwide or just for that store?

The Circuit City off Cobb Parkway has the worst organization ever in its games section. I went in to buy Dead Rising and was told that they don't sell the game in stores.

-_-

After about 10 minutes of searching, I found three copies. Bought won, the others are in the middle isle of 360 games.

[quote name='neocisco']Do you know if these prices are chainwide or just for that store?[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing it's YMMV. Those two games, along with a few others, had the price actually marked out on the yellow tag in pen, with a new price written in above it. When they scanned them at the register, they showed up as full price, and the cashier had to call a supervisor over to override the price.

If anyone wants Tamagotchi Party On!, Bionicle Heroes, or some Board Games collection, they are $10 too. Spider-Man 3 was 20, and a few other Wii games were marked down $10 below whatever they used to be. These are in a low bin behind the gaming demo recliners/TVs. I think there might have been a few bargains on other platforms there, but nothing I had to grab.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if anyone wants to try for game cheap cheap games, the FYE in Arbor Place Mall is having a clearance on almost all games. Lots of crap, but there's some gold nuggets hidden in there. I was able to pick up Star Fox Command (DS) as a Christmas present for a friend for only 10 bucks. Also saw a lot of PS2/Xbox titles for $5. I'll probably consider going by there again once I go home for Christmas break to check out all the bins.

I have a Zelda DS bundle and a Nintendogs DS bundle at my store. If anybody wants this and will be in the Kennesaw area let me know and I'll hold it for you. They're not on the floor right now so they should hopefully be around for a little while.

[quote name='Gamerguy']The Circuit City off Cobb Parkway has the worst organization ever in its games section. I went in to buy Dead Rising and was told that they don't sell the game in stores.

-_-

After about 10 minutes of searching, I found three copies. Bought won, the others are in the middle isle of 360 games.[/QUOTE]

I've seen worse.

Any luck with CCity clearance games today around town? I'm gonna check Northpoint in a while. Chris/Gator found a few at the Gwinnett store (1 Metal Slug and at least one Trauma Center).

[quote name='jdawgg76']Never happened. Shortly after moving here, one of the many job apps I put out was to the GC "coming soon" at that Hollywood Video. It was supposed to be open in February that year and even as late as April nobody I asked at the HV knew what the deal was and if it was still coming or not... Glad I didn't hold out for that dream job!
[/quote]Yeah... I was friends with who was to be the RM for the GCs in this area, as well as knowing the RM for Hollywood around here. Both of 'em were 'let go' for different reasons and the GC plans fell apart. The plans falling apart were not tied into the firings, for what it's worth.

Some choice gossip. Affairs, indiscretions with subordinates. My friends are AWESOME. :roll:

[quote name='TsuyoiMomonga']Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if anyone wants to try for game cheap cheap games, the FYE in Arbor Place Mall is having a clearance on almost all games. [/quote]I thought I mentioned it. And the clearance is not on all games, it's on a large group of games which were sent in from other stores, they're currently displayed on two tables towards the front of the store.

I know someone around here was looking for a Robotech game not too long ago... they had Robotech Battlecry for the ps2 new on clearance (didn't notice the price, because I wasn't certain which game and which system).

Has anyone seen/bought FFXII for $10 at a TRU in the past week? I'd really like to pick one up (+1 for a friend, if I could find 'em).

Is $50 at Gamestop the best I'm going to do for a used Game Boy Advance SP?

My mother-in-law is buying a lot of toys for charity so I bought one for one of "her children". She's got two more kids on her list who want Gameboys and wants me to go back and she'll pay for these.

Or would a kid be just as happy with just the Game Boy Advance? Personally I skipped from Game Boy Color all the way to DS Lite, I don't know how much better the SP is.

The deadline to buy them is Wednesday which rules out buying them over the internet.

[quote name='Sideswiper']Is $50 at Gamestop the best I'm going to do for a used Game Boy Advance SP?

My mother-in-law is buying a lot of toys for charity so I bought one for one of "her children". She's got two more kids on her list who want Gameboys and wants me to go back and she'll pay for these.

Or would a kid be just as happy with just the Game Boy Advance? Personally I skipped from Game Boy Color all the way to DS Lite, I don't know how much better the SP is.

The deadline to buy them is Wednesday which rules out buying them over the internet.[/quote]
I'd go SP if you can swing it. Better screen with backlight, much cooler, more compact design. You'll save the kid's eyes (and allow him to play under the covers).

Saw a bunch of NBA Street Homecourts and Def Jam Icons at the CC in Kennesaw on Barrett Pkwy. Also saw one Okami there, marked incorrectly as usual so go grab it if you want it.

if people are looking for the TRU GH2 deal, Cumberland store didn't have any this morning, and as of last night Buckhead store only had one.

[quote name='Tybee']Anyone seen Bobby Petrino around town?

Oh wait....I guess you wouldn't have.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he was having dinner with the ghost of Benedict Arnold to develop some new strategies for Arkansas.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Hey Neo, any more brown Zunes at your location? The website showed you had one, then the locator stopped working.[/quote]

No, we haven't had one in a while. Our inventory is FUBAR'd on so many different iems. When they do inventory at the end of the fiscal year it's going to be a disaster.

Well, my time as an ATL CAG has come to a close. I finally finished my work at GaTech, and I'll be moving on to try my hand at being a real-life grown up with a real job.

I celebrated my impending graduation with a massive CAG shopping spree last week. I went up to Pleasant Hill and hit up Frys, CC, BB, and Super WalMart for all their cheap ass deals. I picked up 12 different games (some of them are for Gray) for ~$110... it was a heck of a way to go out.

Thanks to all of you for making the ATL CAG community so great! Special props to El Gray for teaming up with me on numerous occasions to hit up midtown ATL for all it was ever worth.

[quote name='Gator']Well, my time as an ATL CAG has come to a close. I finally finished my work at GaTech, and I'll be moving on to try my hand at being a real-life grown up with a real job.
[/quote]

Congratulations! Great to see another Tech grad head out into the world.

[quote name='Gator']Well, my time as an ATL CAG has come to a close. I finally finished my work at GaTech, and I'll be moving on to try my hand at being a real-life grown up with a real job.

I celebrated my impending graduation with a massive CAG shopping spree last week. I went up to Pleasant Hill and hit up Frys, CC, BB, and Super WalMart for all their cheap ass deals. I picked up 12 different games (some of them are for Gray) for ~$110... it was a heck of a way to go out.

Thanks to all of you for making the ATL CAG community so great! Special props to El Gray for teaming up with me on numerous occasions to hit up midtown ATL for all it was ever worth.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a fun blow off!

PS

State > Tech =)

Ugh... found out this week that a cousin needs a Wii. I am gonna try to scope out the Edgewood Target and BBuy at about 7am, to see if I have a chance down there. Any other leads for the weekend? I know it's in the big 3 fliers for the week... but besides that?

Nevermind... I got #41 out of 50 at Edgewood Target this morning. Mission accomplished, with a minimum amount of standing in the cold!

Thanks and farewell to Chris/Gator. He's been very helpful and a good friend since we met a while back. Good luck in VA!

Thanks to all of you for making the ATL CAG community so great! Special props to El Gray for teaming up with me on numerous occasions to hit up midtown ATL for all it was ever worth.[/quote]

Sorry to see a local CAG go. But as my wife says, anyone who makes it out of Tech alive has only good things to look forward to. Hope you'll check in from time to time to let us know how you're doing.

And enjoy your booty. ;)

[quote name='AlohaMars2']

State > Tech =)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. :applause:

Also, if anyone is planning on getting Sears to PM the CC ad for Monster Madness (360), don't go to the Northpoint Sears. They gave me an extremely hard time and I wouldn't have got it were it not for another manager that saved me.

(First time poster, long time lurker)

I was just wondering if any of you guys are out and about over the next couple of days and happen to see a 360 rock band bundle, could you please post here, I've looked all over cobb today and no luck, thanks.

[quote name='AJamal'](First time poster, long time lurker)

I was just wondering if any of you guys are out and about over the next couple of days and happen to see a 360 rock band bundle, could you please post here, I've looked all over cobb today and no luck, thanks.[/QUOTE]

This probably won't be any help, but FYE might have some, although they have the price jacked to $199. Sorry I can't help more.....

[quote name='AJamal'](First time poster, long time lurker)

I was just wondering if any of you guys are out and about over the next couple of days and happen to see a 360 rock band bundle, could you please post here, I've looked all over cobb today and no luck, thanks.[/QUOTE]

The Northpoint Circuit City had 4 as soon as you walked in when I went today (~ 2:30 pm)

Thanks, I found one at the Veterens Memorial Gamestop. I forgot to check GSs yesterday, probably because they close early. They still had atleast 1 more 360 bundle and 3 ps3 ones.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Hey hey hey!
CBS46 WGCL had a story on "Child's-Play" and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
Here is the youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm77Lg0-Hjo&eurl=http://kotaku.com/index.php?refId=335433

Here is a story link:
http://www.cbs46.com/news/14883883/detail.html

Seeing this in action might motivate some more donations.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome.

But don't forget these organizations need donations to keep them going so that these kids can live to play these games. Right now, every single bed in Georgia is filled with kids. You can donate directly to your local hospital through CMN so that they can hire more nurses and expand their units so that more kids can be helped.

Right now there is a trend to downsize and consolidate children's units because the money isn't there. That's why my sig says what it does.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']That's awesome.

But don't forget these organizations need donations to keep them going so that these kids can live to play these games. Right now, every single bed in Georgia is filled with kids. You can donate directly to your local hospital through CMN so that they can hire more nurses and expand their units so that more kids can be helped.

Right now there is a trend to downsize and consolidate children's units because the money isn't there. That's why my sig says what it does.[/quote]

Cochese: Good point. Did you see the show WSBTV did on Children's Healthcare of Atlanta a week or so ago?

[quote name='Tybee']Cochese: Good point. Did you see the show WSBTV did on Children's Healthcare of Atlanta a week or so ago?[/QUOTE]

I saw something a couple of weeks ago, but don't think that was it. We're still in Augusta, with an ETA of September.

We've had to divert kids here because everyone is full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back