General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='guinaevere']Okay, wish me luck. I have to birthday shop for the dreaded sister in law today, so I'm going to try and find The Solomon Brothers at 3340 Peachtree Rd. Gad, I have no clue where that is.[/QUOTE]
Looks like the middle of Buckhead, senorita. Just go down 400, exit at Lenox, take a right, then left on Piedmont and a left on Peachtree (assuming Google Maps is correct). I'm sure if you call them, they can give you a landmark to watch for. You'll be fine. Visit Oxford Comics while you're down there, if you've never been!

[quote name='h3llbring3r']YES
Also, could someone keep there eyes open for a cheap copy of the MechAssault: Phantom War for the DS[/QUOTE]
There was also one copy of this at the Morrow CC. I believe there were 2x of them at the Northpoint store on Friday, as well. Is that game any good? I didn't pick it up.

[quote name='El Gray']There was also one copy of this at the Morrow CC. I believe there were 2x of them at the Northpoint store on Friday, as well. Is that game any good? I didn't pick it up.[/quote]

It is supposedly on par with the first MechAssault 360 game. I watched a kid play it and he seemed to be really enjoying it.

Reviews are in the 7-8 range, but say it rocks as a DS multiplayer but the game dosen't support the WiFi sharing so everyone must have a cart for it.

I am a sucker for this series and type of game: Mech Warrior, Mech Assault, Battletech and even chrome hounds- so apparently I must play this game.

The Solomon Brothers? or the Brothers Solomon. TBS looked like a pretty lame movie.

The Buckhead Backlot. If I recall that one it's behind Phipps. Never been there but I see these signs for a theater around Phipps that look a bit off location wise that I've always assumed was Backlot.

I was on the last case of Phoenix when I lost it and had collected everything in Meteos.

[quote name='guinaevere']Okay, wish me luck. I have to birthday shop for the dreaded sister in law today, so I'm going to try and find The Solomon Brothers at 3340 Peachtree Rd. Gad, I have no clue where that is.[/quote]
That's in the big green neon building on Piedmont, just past where it crosses Peachtree heading North. Across from the old disco Kroger! You can't miss it.

edit for Wolfkin --
And yes, Buckhead Backlot is in the ground floor of that same building.

Wolfkin: Tried Disney Meteos? I was a big fan of the original as well, but like this new version too. It's clearance priced and easy to find at Target, among other places.

Thanks for the assistance, guys. I chickened out and wound up bringing back my busted 360 to MicroCenter instead.

Tomorrow, definately.

By the way, how was The Thing? Was that the old original version?

[quote name='Tybee']Wolfkin: Tried Disney Meteos? I was a big fan of the original as well, but like this new version too. It's clearance priced and easy to find at Target, among other places.[/quote]Disney Meteos has alwsys sounded awesome. all the fun of meteos but with horizontal action. I just don't know. I have a lot of good memories with the classic. Maybe I'll get a rom and try it out. See if the Disney aspects interfer with my enjoyment as much as I fear.

So I went to the Edgewood Target at lunch today. They had several copies of Stuntman: Ignition for the 360 for 12.98. There was also a copy of The Bigs for the PS3 at that price.

Based on this thread I went to check out Ghost Squad for the Wii. Indeed, it is not in their system, but they had about 10 copies on an endcap facing the main part of the store (not in back with the castoff stuff). I handed it to the cashier and he scanned it and asked me where I got it -- in an accusatory tone! I told him I didn't bring it in off the street and then try to get him to sell it to me! Anyhow, he stated he couldn't sell it to me because it wasn't in the system.

Maybe some of you guys will have better luck. If you get a good deal, pick one up for me!

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']So I went to the Edgewood Target at lunch today. They had several copies of Stuntman: Ignition for the 360 for 12.98. There was also a copy of The Bigs for the PS3 at that price.

Based on this thread I went to check out Ghost Squad for the Wii. Indeed, it is not in their system, but they had about 10 copies on an endcap facing the main part of the store (not in back with the castoff stuff). I handed it to the cashier and he scanned it and asked me where I got it -- in an accusatory tone! I told him I didn't bring it in off the street and then try to get him to sell it to me! Anyhow, he stated he couldn't sell it to me because it wasn't in the system.

Maybe some of you guys will have better luck. If you get a good deal, pick one up for me![/quote]

That's the one near "Little Five" if so I am there tomorrow.

Heh... the Edgewood shopping center is practically IN Little Five Points, Wolfkin, but not quite. L5P is the neighborhood about a half mile north of the Edgewood Target on Moreland.

HA you know what I've never actually been north of edgewood on Moreland. I don't live next to East Lake Golf Club anymore. STill. maybe one day

The shopping center at Edgewood is relatively new...about a year or two? It's a good surgical strike place for game deals with a Best Buy, Target, GameStop all in range of each other, plus it has some decent food choices (esp. 5 Guys). There's also a Kroger, a Home Depot, and some lame department store type place.

Not to mention you can stop by L5P when you're at the Edgewood shopping center and pick up some good food or some cheap CDs/Lps (Wax N' Facts). Or just go to watch people...

Yeah, I don't know what I'd do without the Edgewood complex. I'd certainly be driving a lot farther for Target, Lowe's, Best Buy, Petco, and GameStop. It's so funny to me that Wolfkin knows Edgewood but not L5P....I guess some of us navigate by retail. ;)

Went by Rowan's today, one of my favorite thrift shops of old, up in Marietta. Sadly, they are in the midst of closing down. They're already to 50% off everything, so the stock is pretty picked over, as you might imagine. But if you're in the market for a copy of "An Orchestral Tribute to the Music of Ashlee Simpson," you're in luck. No current gen games, a few Xbox and PS2 titles left.

Incidentally, thanks to a deal brokered by our own El Gray, I will soon be joining the ranks of the 360 crowd, with an Elite, no less. Heady times for this dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fanboy. Any advice from our local Xbox vets?

Ok so I re-conned the Edgewood Targe' and it's looks like the Ghost squads were all pulled, I asked about them and got a non-verbal 'shrug' from the electronics center employee with the purple-red hair. My money is on pulled. as rockband seemed to be occupying the place described as there position before.

If someone finds any Ghost Squad on clearance in metro ATL please post it.

There were 4 copies of Stuntman
iconxbox360.gif
@ $14 I snagged one and there were two copies of NBA Street
iconps3.gif
at $ twenty something. There were lots of DS and GBA titles mostly petZ related and Strawberry Shortcake for PS2. There was also a Def Jam ICON in the clearance bin I scanned it and it rang up for $39 (which is strange since I picked it up on Target clearance for under $10). They had 1 Cooking Mama: cook off
iconwii.gif
left @ $19.

I only ever found the two I bought down in Peachtree City. Gave one to in-laws, and opened my own copy the other night. I check every Target I hit, but I think that deal has mostly been caught and eliminated.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Ok so I re-conned the Edgewood Targe' and it's looks like the Ghost squads were all pulled, I asked about them and got a non-verbal 'shrug' from the electronics center employee with the purple-red hair. My money is on pulled. as rockband seemed to be occupying the place described as there position before.

There were 4 copies of Stuntman
iconxbox360.gif
@ $14 I snagged one and there were two copies of NBA Street
iconps3.gif
at $ twenty something. There were lots of DS and GBA titles mostly petZ related and Strawberry Shortcake for PS2. There was also a Def Jam ICON in the clearance bin I scanned it and it rang up for $39 (which is strange since I picked it up on Target clearance for under $10). They had 1 Cooking Mama: cook off
iconwii.gif
left @ $19.[/QUOTE]

Stuntman is now $14? I returned one I bought for $30 last week, I'd pick it back up at that price. Might have to go scan the one here locally. Mine suck though.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Ok so I re-conned the Edgewood Targe' and it's looks like the Ghost squads were all pulled, I asked about them and got a non-verbal 'shrug' from the electronics center employee with the purple-red hair. My money is on pulled. as rockband seemed to be occupying the place described as there position before.
[/quote]

Yeah, that figures. It was actually, if memory serves, right above the shelf with the Rockband boxes. Oh well.

[quote name='Tybee']Incidentally, thanks to a deal brokered by our own El Gray, I will soon be joining the ranks of the 360 crowd, with an Elite, no less. Heady times for this dyed-in-the-wool Nintendo fanboy. Any advice from our local Xbox vets?[/quote]

Congrats! Mass Effect and Halo 3 have been my biggest timesinks. Crackdown is also superfun and kind of cheapish these days. My tag is to the left if you want to play something!

IT'S SNOWING!?!? Everybody go to the grocery store and get milk and bread! HURRY!! Who knows how long we'll be trapped in our homes!?

Don't forget to do the southern thang' and floor it- then slam on your breaks when you start to slip so you can "sked reel fahr!"
[quote name='neocisco']IT'S SNOWING!?!? Everybody go to the grocery store and get milk and bread! HURRY!! Who knows how long we'll be trapped in our homes!?[/quote]

Beer, beer, don't forget the beer it always sells out first!

Lol love all the talk about snow... (Mainly how the whole South reacts to it). After moving from Michigan to Georgia, those reactions are exactly what I see down here. Makes me LOL. Don't know how many phone calls I got last night of people making sure I was okay because of the snow. Had a whole 1.5 inches here...

I've been here since 01 and this is the first time it hasn't snowed while I was home (ft. lauderdale) for the holidays, and I stopped going home like 2-3 years ago.

The snow was really nice to have, but I freaking hated all the traffic I got going south on 75 to cumberland blvd. I have stand still traffic at the time I go home. I love snow, but I really don't like how people become "snow-retarded" (as Cochese said). I moved to GA from Missouri, a place with snow every winter, and was amazed at the way people handle it here (understandable to a point).

Also, hey! I'm new to the forum and I am an ATL CAG person. :)

i grew up in the desert went to high school in the tropics.. and still I can make more sense of the snow than some of the people I've seen driving.

Wish we'd gotten more. Turned to rain too quick and didn't freeze, meaning no day off from work. Oh well. Maybe we'll get some more before the winter is out.

According to the news, they're calling for snow Friday or Saturday night. But we also know how the weather from the news is. I'm more surprised when they get it correct than when they're wrong now.

[quote name='Jam424']According to the news, they're calling for snow Friday or Saturday night. But we also know how the weather from the news is. I'm more surprised when they get it correct than when they're wrong now.[/QUOTE]

Snow forcasted, up to an inch. Translation: you'll be lucky to see rain at 60F.

The snow will only accumulate in the higher elevations. = Blizzard Watch 1996.

[quote name='pogipinoy27']Argh the snow made downtown Atlanta pretty at first...then it just turned into slush. We got a good .1 inch at my house though![/QUOTE]

It came down good at GSU for about an hour or so... Damn work.

I just bolted my snow plow kit onto the front of my Jeep and I think I am going down to Lowes and investing in a snow blower. I think it should pay for itself pretty quick.

Pretty sure I actually do have a snow plow kit for my 4 wheeler (somewhere), but thats wasn't even used up in Michigan. Let me find it and I'll sell it to you, might be better than that snow blower

well if you consider the latest advances in snow blower technology. I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would buy a snow clearing device w/o bluetooth. How else will you be able to listen to your mp3s or stream live tv from your home server while plowing. Personally I'm still waiting until I can play Sonic the Hedgehog. It's my new litmus test for technolgy.
"Does it play Sonic?"​

[quote name='h3llbring3r']I just bolted my snow plow kit onto the front of my Jeep and I think I am going down to Lowes and investing in a snow blower. I think it should pay for itself pretty quick.[/QUOTE]
Call Mr. Plow...
That's my name...
That name again...
Is Mr. Plow!

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Is it wrong for me to want to drive 2.5 hours to my parents' in Marietta for the chance that my twins would get to play in the snow?[/quote]

No way! Bring 'em up, they'll love it. I started a snowball fight with some kids in my neighborhood the other night. When snow starts hitting the ground I instantly revert back to 10 years old. I really miss sledding.

I'm gonna go ahead and put this out there..... I actually work at the Weather Channel, and I'm looking at a radar projection right now that shows snow as pretty darn likely. YAY! Right now we're thinking its gonna start raining and sleeting in the wee hours of the night/morning, and then turn to snow and freezing rain around 9 am, and then get some consistent (if perhaps light) snow from around noon until 4 pm.

Cool stuff! I hope these projections don't change - god I love the snow... especially on a weekend where I don't have to fight the snow-retards during my commute.

[quote name='El Gray']Call Mr. Plow...
That's my name...
That name again...
Is Mr. Plow![/quote]

I am Plow King and I will make you my Plow Bitch.

[quote name='organicow']Cool stuff! I hope these projections don't change - god I love the snow... especially on a weekend where I don't have to fight the snow-retards during my commute.[/quote]

Great news! My 2 year old is going to have a grand time.

So what's up with the Weather channel? Do they have any buyers? I work for Turner and I'm sure they're looking at it.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if it's still there, but I found exactly one Ghost Squad on thursday night at the Target off of 141 and Holcomb Bridge. I'll check again tomorrow.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Great news! My 2 year old is going to have a grand time.

So what's up with the Weather channel? Do they have any buyers? I work for Turner and I'm sure they're looking at it.[/quote]How many TV people are in here? I work for a local affiliate and our weather guys have been saying 2-4 inches.

[quote name='Tybee']Wish we'd gotten more. Turned to rain too quick and didn't freeze, meaning no day off from work.[/quote]Yup. I was outside playing with the foster kids next door. But I definatly miss the big snow storms and accumulations of new england. =(

Then Thursday morning I started jury duty. Almost 40 were called to show up, only 22 actually came (even though it was nothing more than wet roads) so we all were immediately accepted and put on the grand jury for the next six months. Ah well, at least it's interesting.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Is it wrong for me to want to drive 2.5 hours to my parents' in Marietta for the chance that my twins would get to play in the snow?[/quote]No way, Cochese. That's what memories are built on.

[quote name='jdawgg76']How many TV people are in here? I work for a local affiliate and our weather guys have been saying 2-4 inches.[/QUOTE]

I have a DVR and watch a lot of TV. Does that count????

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Is it wrong for me to want to drive 2.5 hours to my parents' in Marietta for the chance that my twins would get to play in the snow?[/quote]

Dude, it's a winter wonderland here right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back