General Discussion for ATL CAGs In Memoriam Matthew Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

organicow

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Hey guys, I figured since we totally hijacked that DS Lite thread to talk about everything from cider to live local music....we might as well have a dedicated thread for it. Especially since I think we definitely have the most robust discussions in the Southeast CAG forum!

I'll kick it off by describing my recent EB experience:

I hit the Northlake EB (the one with the cool manager) today to grab some B2G1 goodness. I ended up getting Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (XB), RE2 (GC), and RE3 (GC), all complete and mint for 86.65. Considering that MvC2 goes for $50-60 on ebay, I thought this to be a pretty good purchase! As I was leaving, the manager guy told me that the North Dekalb store had some rare shit right now too, and that I should check it out. What a nice guy!

Anyway, I f'n hate that EB, but I figured it was worth a trip (its not that far from home). I ended up getting complete mint copies of REZ (PS2), LoZ Promo disc (GC, the one with Master Quest), and Cubivore (GC) for $72.20. Cool.

I also got 3 used DS games (preparing for the Lite on Sun) for B2G1. All three of the games (Trauma Center, Advance Wars, and MarioKart) were complete. But, somehow, as the dipshit was ringing me up, the Trauma manual somehow disappeared from the box! Since they insist upon slapping those damned clear stickers on the edges at sale time, I didn't notice the missing manual until I was on the way home. Jackasses!! Well, they had another complete used copy, so hopefully they can help me out tomorrow....but I'm not counting on it.

In the meantime, this dude with a baby was trading in 20 Xbox games (and getting ripped off, I might add), and the clueless employees there couldn't seem to get it all worked out. That poor bastard must've been there for about 45 minutes, and still hadn't gotten the right trade in credit. UGH.

My two trips today really showed me how utterly opposed two EBs within a few miles of one another could really be. And that is why I always go out to Northlake!

/rant

On to more beer talk!! :cool:

[quote name='guinaevere']No joke? That's one on my short list! Target time.[/quote]

Let me know if you find any. I'm still looking.

EDIT: nm...Found one in Sandy Springs. Didn't see any others.

Is that a good deal? And what sort of stuff does that get you? I've FINALLY got dsl set up at the house, picked up a few xbox live vision gold packs at Kmart ($20 clearance) and when I get back from my trip to chicago, I'm going to set up my xbl account.
It's not a bad deal. Not great, not bad. I will say that as somebody who just got his first Xbox 360 earlier this year, there's A LOT of great stuff on XBL -- be it XBLA titles or downloadable content for full-fledged games -- and catching up is a bitch. So picking up as many points as you can when they're cheap is a good idea.

[quote name='neocisco']You know what George Clooney looks like? I look nothing like that. I wasn't there, I'm off today.

No real damage on my property from the tornadoes. 3 trees down but they didn't hit anything. I just have to cut 'em and clear 'em. That's just fine with me compared to what others have to deal with. One neighbor up the street had a tree lifted straight up and promptly deposited on top of his car. Thankfully I don't think anyone in my sub-d had any major house damage. Considering that a tornado essentially passed directly over sub-d everything is just fine.[/quote]

Did you work with Serge? I used to work at the akers mill store.

[quote name='RoninChaos']Did you work with Serge? I used to work at the akers mill store.[/quote]

Yep. Serge was one of the good managers so, of course, he left. We've both been around CC for a long time so we would occasionally play "Remember when...". He's a cop now, I think with either Atlanta or Tech.

Buckhead TRU has some Wii Fit in stock - apparently its their first restocking since the launch. I snagged one earlier but they were all in the back room so I couldn't see how many there were. Good luck!

[quote name='neocisco']Yep. Serge was one of the good managers so, of course, he left. We've both been around CC for a long time so we would occasionally play "Remember when...". He's a cop now, I think with either Atlanta or Tech.[/quote]
Yeah, Serge was the fuckin' man. I loved working for him. I saw him not too long ago. His kid is gettin' big.

I was with Circuit for a while. Glad I'm gone. I've heard things haven't really changed whatsoever. We always used to play "Remember when..." about CC. It used to be a good company.

I'm right down the street at the AT&T by Publix. If you have our service and need something, let me know. I'll see if I can help you out.

Anybody know where I can get a copy of Revenant Wings for the DS on the cheap? Nobody has it in all the places I've been.

[quote name='RoninChaos']Anybody know where I can get a copy of Revenant Wings for the DS on the cheap? Nobody has it in all the places I've been.[/quote]

Keep checking Targets. It's been clearanced to $19.99. Found one at Sandy Springs on Thursday, so they're still around if you look, especially at ones off the beaten path.

Locations to cross off your list:

Sandy Springs
Cobb Pkwy
Edgewood
Tucker

Not at the one on barrett either. Damn. I was hoping to get it before a trip this weekend. I gotta go up to St. Louis because my grandfather is sick. This will give me somethin to do while he's resting.

[quote name='RoninChaos']Yeah, Serge was the fuckin' man. I loved working for him. I saw him not too long ago. His kid is gettin' big.

I was with Circuit for a while. Glad I'm gone. I've heard things haven't really changed whatsoever. We always used to play "Remember when..." about CC. It used to be a good company.

I'm right down the street at the AT&T by Publix. If you have our service and need something, let me know. I'll see if I can help you out.

Anybody know where I can get a copy of Revenant Wings for the DS on the cheap? Nobody has it in all the places I've been.[/quote]

I feel bad for not picking up that last copy of revenant wings at Edgewood two weeks ago now :(

[quote name='Enron']I feel bad for not picking up that last copy of revenant wings at Edgewood two weeks ago now :([/quote]

What is up with Edgewood? They put all the clearance games in a locked case. What a huge hassle to browse. I nominate Enron to check through it and tell us what's in there each week. :applause:

[quote name='Tybee']Keep checking Targets. It's been clearanced to $19.99. Found one at Sandy Springs on Thursday, so they're still around if you look, especially at ones off the beaten path.

Sandy Springs
Cobb Pkwy
Edgewood
Tucker[/quote]Before leaving town I also tried:
Carrolton
Cartersville
Hiram

No joy at any of them. AND they raised the price of their soft drink/popcorn combo. Was $1, now is $1.50. Communists.

[quote name='Nastrodamous']anybody seen PC orangebox,crysis,company of heros on sale[/QUOTE]I've been looking for Orange Box and no dice. COulda sworn Crysis was on sale at CC but I'm not in the market so I can't say for certain.

[quote name='Tybee']Keep checking Targets. It's been clearanced to $19.99. Found one at Sandy Springs on Thursday, so they're still around if you look, especially at ones off the beaten path.

Sandy Springs
Cobb Pkwy
Edgewood
Tucker[/QUOTE]

I saw one at the Edgewood target yesterday, but it was buried underneath a bunch of other crap in the clearance case.

[quote name='simple']I saw one at the Edgewood target yesterday, but it was buried underneath a bunch of other crap in the clearance case.[/quote]

My bad. Must have missed it. It's much harder to do an accurate accounting with all of the stuff behind glass. Hope a CAG gets it.

Hmm... maybe I can check for that tonight. I need some other items from there. Also, I might need to go buy Worms 2 for $10 at Gamestop.

I found Ali: Director's Cut for $5 in the Edgewood Ross recently. Quite pleased with that.

[quote name='simple']I saw one at the Edgewood target yesterday, but it was buried underneath a bunch of other crap in the clearance case.[/quote]

Holy crap, really? I checked it last week, and I didnt see one! Well Ronin, there's your copy! go get it!

[quote name='Tybee']My bad. Must have missed it. It's much harder to do an accurate accounting with all of the stuff behind glass. Hope a CAG gets it.[/QUOTE]

Its really ridiculous - I had to wait about 15 minutes for a guy to become available so he could unlock the case for me so I could look through the stuff and decide there was nothing for me. How is that a good idea? I guess it keeps it clean back there, but at the expense of usefulness...

My favorite Best Buy (@ Sydney Marcus) had no console game guides Monday. They were all boxed up and gone, the whole end-cap was gone and replaced with a second PS3 demo/display kiosk. (For those that have never been this is a large square footage store w/ a MAGNOLIA H.T. sub-store in a high income market).

I was told by the manager that only PC guides were going to be stocked from now on.
Has anyone else seen this happen? Where else do you guys find pennied guides?

I generally find 'em at gamestop. I found a FFIII at one on Roswell south of Sandy Springs. I found Justice League Heroes at Edgewood yesterday.Microcenter and Fry's usually have some cheap guides (I've picked up Viewtiful Joe for $3, Starfox for $6, a splinter cell for $2)

[quote name='Enron']Holy crap, really? I checked it last week, and I didnt see one! Well Ronin, there's your copy! go get it![/quote]
I'm not really near edgewood and I got my son with me for the rest of the week and then I leave town friday. i'm not going to have time. Damn.

Thanks for the help though, guys.

[quote name='thefuzz311']just wanted to post on the GA board- CAG from Albany GA right here and there is 1 other CAG from Albany!
Sup yall[/quote]

I just heard today that some natives in your area pronounce it "All-BENNY". Is that true?

[quote name='Wolfkin']I think i'm going to need an audio sample because I'm not seeing what's wrong with that?[/quote]

My natural inclination would be to pronounce it ALL-buh-NEE, so yeah, that would be a little unconventional. But I think I've heard it pronounced that way before.

I stopped trying to figure out the ATL / GA guide to pronounciation soon after moving here when I learned the "right" way to say Dekalb.

Like any other part of the country, regional rules may or may not make sense but help to figure out who's new in town. (Like I was.)

I found that Bleach DS game tonight at the Johnson Ferry Target for $15. 83% on Metacritic. Some people call it the best fighting game on the DS-- not that there are a ton of them. Anyway, I figured it was worth the price. Anyone else tried this one It has WiFi, even.

They had one copy of the Bleach Wii game on clearance, too, but it doesn't have great reviews. $35, I think.

[quote name='chuckie88']I stopped trying to figure out the ATL / GA guide to pronounciation soon after moving here when I learned the "right" way to say Dekalb.

Like any other part of the country, regional rules may or may not make sense but help to figure out who's new in town. (Like I was.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they pronounce it All-BEN-ee here. Kinda weird as I grew up in NY, and of course, pronounce that state capitol as ALL-buh-nee.

Oh! Also, at that Johnson Ferry Target, there were a bunch of PS2 2-packs on sale. Most of them were the usual junk, but one was Simpsons Hit n Run / Corvette. It was marked down to about $7. If you don't have Hit n Run, it's a lot of fun, and well worth that price.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Yeah, they pronounce it All-BEN-ee here. Kinda weird as I grew up in NY, and of course, pronounce that state capitol as ALL-buh-nee.[/quote]

[quote name='neocisco']I just heard today that some natives in your area pronounce it "All-BENNY". Is that true?[/quote]

Funny, the people I know from there say it with an Appalachian twang and not the drawl: All-Bay-nee (It makes me cringe, these people went to the private school down there too). -Probably closer to neocisco's version.

Despite living in Georgia all my life I think that's the most bizarre pronunciation I have heard (Luh-fay-et, Dee-cab, May-retta and House-ton not withstanding).

Has anyone seen Timeshift (360) in a At-lannah TAR-jay on clearance?

[quote name='El Gray']I found that Bleach DS game tonight at the Johnson Ferry Target for $15. 83% on Metacritic. Some people call it the best fighting game on the DS-- not that there are a ton of them. Anyway, I figured it was worth the price. Anyone else tried this one It has WiFi, even.

They had one copy of the Bleach Wii game on clearance, too, but it doesn't have great reviews. $35, I think.[/quote]

Bleach for the DS is great, little short but if your fan of the anime it is worth every penny. Great game, online is fun, little lag.

[quote name='Mr. Wiggly']Yeah, they pronounce it All-BEN-ee here. Kinda weird as I grew up in NY, and of course, pronounce that state capitol as ALL-buh-nee.[/quote]

ALL-buh-nee is how I've always pronounced it and heard it. The All-BEN-ee pronunciation threw me off. I grew up in IL and DeKalb was pronounced Deh-KALB.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']Has anyone seen Timeshift (360) in a At-lannah TAR-jay on clearance?[/quote]

Looking for one for myself, it's been a while since I saw any 360 clearance games thanks to the coupon.

[quote name='El Gray']Both of your emphases are weird. I'd say ALL-buh-nee.[/quote]

that's the way I've seen/heard/said it.

Bleach DS I'm sure it's great fun but I don't really see the point of fighting games on portables unless you have friends who also want to play. I downloaded the Naruto game a while back but after 2 hours I had no more motivation.

Has anyone seen Godfather or Tomb Raider for the Wii in a Target store? My wife went to the Cumming one which had a ton of TR the week before for $20 but they were all gone yesterday.

[quote name='GamingGator']Has anyone seen Godfather or Tomb Raider for the Wii in a Target store? My wife went to the Cumming one which had a ton of TR the week before for $20 but they were all gone yesterday.[/QUOTE]

I believe Godfather for Wii is $20 at Gamestop this week. That's probably about as good a price as you'll find.

[quote name='GamingGator']Has anyone seen Godfather or Tomb Raider for the Wii in a Target store? My wife went to the Cumming one which had a ton of TR the week before for $20 but they were all gone yesterday.[/QUOTE]

About 3-4 copies of Tomb Raider for Wii at the Sandy Springs Target tonight for $15!

As for the other CAG who was asking about that store, they have a decent endcap full of stuff. Lots of crap DS and GBA games, Mario Kart GBA, which isn't total crap, a huge stack of Viva Pinata 360, quite a few Wii games (TR, Dancing wtStars, Bleach, Pool Party, DK Barrel Blast, others), some 360 three-packs of movie tie-in games, ONE copy of Timeshift 360 for ~$27 (for whoever was looking for that), and some decent PS2 games, including about a half-dozen copies of Guitar Hero 1 (disc only) for $20. Oh, and 2 or 3 copies of the Bleach DS game for $21, and a couple copies of PICROSS for $10!

Heavenly Blade (or Sword?) for PS3 and Am. Idol for 360 on clearance in the glass case.

Also, they have Cherry Pop-Tarts on clearance for some reason, so, you know, pick some up if you need them.

[quote name='El Gray']Heading out to Eatonton for a wedding. Anything I should keep an eye out for?[/quote]

Yeah, the route back. Where the crap is Eatonton?

Hit the Snellville Target yesterday after my daughters allstar game over there :) Picked up the last :360: Popcap Arcade ($4.xx) for the wife :360: Harry Potter/Order of Phoenix ($14.xx) for the daughter, and :ps2: ATV 4 ($14.xx) for the son all for a total of $9 and change. Cheap way to make the family happy :D Used two $10 off coupons and the $5 of $25 :bouncy:

For those interested, there were multiple :360: Monster Madness priced at $9.xx - coupon expires tomorrow.

Question regarding Comcast - I hooked the cable directly into my HD-TV and found a whole bunch of "hidden" digital channels. Does anyone have a list of these channels?

While I was at the wal-mart in lithonia I noticed a pretty big rack of games marked at $10 each. Most of the games there were so-so, but there were quite a few really good ones too.
I picked up:
Advance wars DS (last one sorry)
megaman zx (2+ left)
puzzle quest DS (3+ left)
viva pinata special ed (2 left)

Did not get
Children of mana (3+ left)
Castlevania POR (2+ left)
odin sphere (1 left)
kessen 3 (3+ left)
starfox ds (1 left)
Grim grimoire (2 left)
Those are all the ones of note that I can remember.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the games did not ring up $10; the cashier has to change the prices manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back