General Pro Wrestling Game Thread #1 - FIRE PRO WRESTLING IS COMING TO THE XBOX 360!

BlueSwim

CAGiversary!
This is the official CAG thread for all Pro Wrestling(Including the WWE) games. Feel free to talk about awesome matches you had, CAW's, Pro Wrestling game news, set up online bouts, or just bullshit about the latest WWE Raw and TNA Impact episodes. It doesn't matter what game you want to talk about. Be it Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010, WWF No Mercy, Fire Pro Wrestling Returns, WCW Thunder, Pro Wrestling, or even Power Move Pro Wrestling, this is *THE* thread for you. There are only TWO RULES FOR THIS THREAD.

Rule #1: No Spoilers - No insider news about the WWE or TNA. It could ruin a surprise for a fellow forum-goer. DON'T BE A JERK! If you want to post about stuff like that please drop by the Off-Topic forum's Wrestling thread instead. If you want to talk about news as it happens, that's perfectly fine.

Rule #2: Accept Fire Pro Wrestling Returns As Your Wrestling Game Jesus - Okay, so maybe this rule isn't iron-clad.:lol: But FPWR is still way better than anything Wrestling-related THQ has done since the N64. Don't believe me? Scroll down to the video and prepare for a religious experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niLrtKJ8FPA

This is General Pro Wrestling Game Thread #1 and it's a thread of Chess with real knights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been meaning to play some Firepro returns for a while now. I need to hook up my PS2 to my old SDTV. But before that I need to hook up my old SDTV. ;)

I want to play/sim some Misawa matches. I haven't touched the game since he passed, and when Wrestlers die I usually play and sim their greatest matches/fueds in Firepro.

I can approve of any thread that praises Fire Pro.

Actually haven't played FPR since I don't own a PS2, but I spent countless hours on FPD on the Dreamcast (the only game I've ever imported) and Super Fire Pro on SNES emulators.

Just pulled out Fire Pro 2 for the GBA again after having it sit for a year (US version - not Final Fire Pro). Final stage on Ironman Road Hard is fucking impossible. 5 handicap matches in a row. No way in hell. I guess I could pray for a lucky early critical strike on one of the two guys, but other than that...forget it. Most of the time you can't even pull off a move because his partner will hit you and stop it. Not to mention when you go to grapple a guy, his partner will suddenly also grab on which totally fucks up your timing.

For handicap matches like that, I usually try to irish whip one of the opponents and just let them run. That should give you time to get a move or two off on the other guy.

Either that or try to get one of the opponents outside and work him out there. The other opponent shouldn't follow you outside, or if he does, he won't stay out there for the entire 20 count.

Of course I havent played FP2 on the GBA in ages, so this advice could be worthless.

[quote name='Puffa469']I've been meaning to play some Firepro returns for a while now. I need to hook up my PS2 to my old SDTV. But before that I need to hook up my old SDTV. ;)

I want to play/sim some Misawa matches. I haven't touched the game since he passed, and when Wrestlers die I usually play and sim their greatest matches/fueds in Firepro.[/QUOTE]Misawa was awesome. I've only seen a handful of his matches, but I became a fan of his through playing as and against him in FPW1 on the GBA. The clip below was what inspired me to check him out in FPW1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2MUUYRPAIM

That Tiger Driver '91 was sick. I had never seen anything quite like it before and it blew my mind.
[quote name='KaneRobot']I can approve of any thread that praises Fire Pro.

Actually haven't played FPR since I don't own a PS2, but I spent countless hours on FPD on the Dreamcast (the only game I've ever imported) and Super Fire Pro on SNES emulators.

Just pulled out Fire Pro 2 for the GBA again after having it sit for a year (US version - not Final Fire Pro). Final stage on Ironman Road Hard is fucking impossible. 5 handicap matches in a row. No way in hell. I guess I could pray for a lucky early critical strike on one of the two guys, but other than that...forget it. Most of the time you can't even pull off a move because his partner will hit you and stop it. Not to mention when you go to grapple a guy, his partner will suddenly also grab on which totally fucks up your timing.[/QUOTE]What two wrestlers are you using and who are you fighting?

[quote name='KaneRobot']I can approve of any thread that praises Fire Pro.

Just pulled out Fire Pro 2 for the GBA again after having it sit for a year (US version - not Final Fire Pro). Final stage on Ironman Road Hard is fucking impossible. 5 handicap matches in a row. No way in hell. I guess I could pray for a lucky early critical strike on one of the two guys, but other than that...forget it. Most of the time you can't even pull off a move because his partner will hit you and stop it. Not to mention when you go to grapple a guy, his partner will suddenly also grab on which totally fucks up your timing.[/QUOTE]

Fire Pro Returns is good, but Final Fire Pro is better in my opinion. You get to run a wrestling company and try to get it more successful by having better matches, complete with different styles and titles. Management of the Ring mode was great and I want an expanded version of it on next gen hardware. It's in Japanese, but there are helpful guides available and it's pretty easy to grasp. Lost my cart and I'm pissed.

Whats the deal with the latest Smackdown vs. Raw game?

I've never liked the series gameplay, but the last one I really played was on the PS2.

I did try a demo on XBL a year or two ago and wasn't impressed.

But the sheer amount of options and cutomization of the newest game has me intrigued.

I love all the AKI N64 games and I liked the Day of Reckoning series on Gamecube to give you an idea of what I like in a 3D wrestler.

I find the game the SvR games passable, but really what other wrestling game am I going to play on my 360? I love the AKI games as and DOR as well. SvR's best feature this past year was the inclusion of downloading others CAWs. You couldn't edit the CAWs, so that was a bummer as far as music goes, but other than that it's a godsend as far as saving time.

[quote name='Puffa469']Whats the deal with the latest Smackdown vs. Raw game?

I've never liked the series gameplay, but the last one I really played was on the PS2.

I did try a demo on XBL a year or two ago and wasn't impressed.

But the sheer amount of options and cutomization of the newest game has me intrigued.

I love all the AKI N64 games and I liked the Day of Reckoning series on Gamecube to give you an idea of what I like in a 3D wrestler.[/QUOTE]
To use a Simpsons reference, WWE Smackdown Vs. Raw games are usually "Malibu Stacie with a new hat". They really don't change that much in the terms of feel. I haven't played 2010 myself, but I highly doubt it's that much different than the other games in the series.

The new SvR improves the gameplay a fair bit over the last few. However it still has super soft looking impact on almost every move, which has always bothered me about the series.

I have a BC PS3 and Fire Pro, but could never figure out how to download those saves and packs from Fire Pro Club to get the ECW stuff like the video in the original post.

I gave up trying a long time ago.

*sad face*

I'm 45. Grew up on wrestling and used to be shocked every time a young wrestler passed away. Now it just makes me sad.

"Who's better than Kanyon!"

A Northern Lights Suplex for the World Title?! Who was playing that?!

Haggar - It's been awhile since I messed around with downloading wrestlers for Firepro Returns but (I think) fireproclub.com has all the information you could ever need to do the transfers. It's well worth the trouble. I do recall that .psv format saves are the ones you'll need. What I don't recall is how to format the thumb drive to save and then carry the data over to the PS3.

Count me as another person that believes Fire Pro Returns is light years ahead of any other US based wrestling game. I bought it and was expecting to play a few matches with a friend before we moved onto another game. A year later, it is the one game we both go back to over and over again. I remember all the "Holy fuck" reactions him and I had when we saw all the crazy awesome moves you can do in this game.

[quote name='5of9']I'm 45. Grew up on wrestling and used to be shocked every time a young wrestler passed away. Now it just makes me sad.

"Who's better than Kanyon!"[/QUOTE]
Wasn't it "Who better than Kanyon?" I remember the grammatical incorrectness bothering me. I guess now it's
Who's deader than Kanyon?
Too soon?

[quote name='pete5883']Wasn't it "Who better than Kanyon?" I remember the grammatical incorrectness bothering me. I guess now it's
Who's deader than Kanyon?
Too soon?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah i couldn't remember either. his lisp stuck in my head so i went with "who's" And no it's not too soon.(see spoiler)

Someone mentioned the AAA game above - the website linked to doesn't have a solid date (although it says "2011" in a few spots, sadly).

Do we know a date on it? I'm really looking forward to it.

[quote name='mykevermin']Someone mentioned the AAA game above - the website linked to doesn't have a solid date (although it says "2011" in a few spots, sadly).

Do we know a date on it? I'm really looking forward to it.[/QUOTE]
Nothing solid, just that it's 2010. Judging by the fact that they've only revealed 6 luchadores, I'm guessing late Fall at the earliest if they have a big roster. If it's a smaller roster, late Summer/early Fall. Looks interesting, though. Loved watching AAA and CMLL on Sunday mornings when I had Galavision. Little blue gorilla midget = WIN!

From the News section on heroesdelring.com

"It is expected that versions for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, developed by Immersion Games with the Unreal Engine 3, and Wii and PSP, Sabarasa Inc., will be available during the first half of 2010"

Then again in the article that has this info refers to the game as Heres Del Ring 2010. I'm thinking it's more likely around Christmas at this point.

[quote name='VidPower']Count me as another person that believes Fire Pro Returns is light years ahead of any other US based wrestling game. I bought it and was expecting to play a few matches with a friend before we moved onto another game. A year later, it is the one game we both go back to over and over again. I remember all the "Holy fuck" reactions him and I had when we saw all the crazy awesome moves you can do in this game.[/QUOTE]
The legs the Fire Pro games have are amazing. I still play the FPW game on the GBA that came out in 2001 at launch. Wouldn't be surprised to find out that I put 250+ hours into it over the years. Best $40 I ever spent on a portable game. The fact that FPR, a better game than FPWA, came out at outside of Japan at $15 was almost surreal to me. I, literally, almost fell out of my seat when I saw the Destructoid article posting that FPR was coming to America. I'm glad you and your friend have had so much fun with it!:D:D:D

RANDOM QUESTION:
What was your favorite match finish that you've had in a Wrestling game?

[quote name='BlueSwim']

RANDOM QUESTION: What was your favorite match finish that you've had in a Wrestling game?
[/QUOTE]

Having the ref get up right as I was swinging a chair in a regular match in SvR 09. He saw it and DQ'd me. But what was funniest was he didn't see the 90 chair shots before that one.:lol:

I still don't get all the love for FPW though, it looks like an NES game, though some of the match types are insane and the level of customization I've seen in YouTube videos of matches is nuts.

But if that's your thing.....

[quote name='BlueSwim']
RANDOM QUESTION:
What was your favorite match finish that you've had in a Wrestling game?
[/QUOTE]

My tag team partner and I, as a joke, let HHH and Stephanie McMahon challenge us for the tag team titles. Steph locked me in to the figure 4, and I tapped. New champions.

[quote name='5of9']I'm 45. Grew up on wrestling and used to be shocked every time a young wrestler passed away. Now it just makes me sad.

"Who's better than Kanyon!"[/QUOTE]

Months ago I cancelled my monthly subscription to WWE On Demand.

I used to love watching classic matches and PPV's on the service, but literally every match had at least one dead guy in it, usually more. I tried to watch an old Wrestlemania once and every single match had dead wrestlers in it. And the WM was only like 10-12 years old.

It got too sad for me watching ghosts wrestle.

That really doesn't look that bad for the price. It's definitely rough, but a sequel with a budget might do well. Wish you didn't have to be online when you want to play Indie games.

The first time we played one of the Xbox 1 Wrestlemania games (which sucked, BTW,) we did a 2 on 1 against K-Kwik to dog the hell out of him and get the controls down (if you remember R-Truth/K-Kwik in the WWF at the time, you would want to dog the hell out of him too.)

He ended up winning. Doh.

Just played a 5-match series between The Rock(1P) and Mitsuharu Misawa(CPU - Level 7) in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. Misawa took the first two, Rock picked up one, Misawa retained the WWF Title in the first championship match, then Rock dropped the champ with the Rock Bottom in the second and final WWF title match. It was one of those "just one more match" kind of sessions.

Looks like I botched my AAA release window prediction.#-o

Smackdown 2011 rumor. I heard that there is going to be a roster of 100 with legends included. Nothing confirmed but just a rumor.

[quote name='wildcpac']Smackdown 2011 rumor. I heard that there is going to be a roster of 100 with legends included. Nothing confirmed but just a rumor.[/QUOTE]

I heard a rumor for Smackdown 2012. I heard there's going to be a roster of OVER 9,000!!!!!11!! Nothing confirmed yet but I figure I'd post make believe shit just for the hell of it.

[quote name='Matt Young']"Pre-order Ships 10/1/2010".

:([/QUOTE]

Well that's changed since last I checked. I was actually happy to be wrong on my previous release guess. I guess October isn't that bad.

So TNA Impact 2 got announced for a spring 2011 release. Roster should be pretty good if they have it current to now. RVD, AJ, Angle, Samoa Joe, Mr Anderson, Jeff, Hogan, Flair, Outsiders, etc.

http://www.wrestling-infos.de/13282.html

http://www.wrestlinggames.de/news/1979.html

The new edition of TNA iMPACT! was announced and for the following consoles: Playstation 2, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360
The game should appear, according to officials in the spring of 2011.

What is interesting to note there are also, so the game will no longer TNA iMPACT manufacturer produced by Midway, but Southpeak Interactive by. This is due to the poor sales of its predecessor. Doing so could also the bankruptcy of Midway to be responsible.

In the new game engine, the Unreal 3 graphics remain contained, is also at stake the current roster and the Knockouts be there.

In TNA iMPACT 2 can be in the 4-square in the 6-square ring as well as play. Steel Cage matches are thus playable in both rings.

If there's more news about the game, then you will find here.

Thanks go to the forum users KingEvil.

Let's hope TNA 2 doesn't give us a list of things NOT in the game, like they did with the first one. Not exactly the best way to promote your game.

Aren't they also supposed to show off a new WWE game that isn't the SvR series or WWE Online at E3, as well?

bread's done
Back