Generation NEX System + Wireless NES Controllers Bundle $99

[quote name='jaybird']Even if it didn't suck, that's still too much to pay for it.[/quote]

Exactly. You can buy like 50 NES toasters with that amount of money.

Does Gamestop carry this in-stores?
I heard of only a few Nes clones is this thing a lot worse than a Yobo?
I already have an NES but I gave it to a friend, not really into buying another toaster and too poor to afford a nintendo top loader.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Does Gamestop carry this in-stores?
I heard of only a few Nes clones is this thing a lot worse than a Yobo?
I already have an NES but I gave it to a friend, not really into buying another toaster and too poor to afford a nintendo top loader.[/QUOTE]

It's the exactly same thing as a Yobo, but with worse volume output and a shiny case - oh and a Famicom port that doesn't support the enhanced music of a lot of Famicom games.

To top it of, the d-pad on the wireless pads SUCKS.

Just buy a Yobo and live with the cords!

You can find an original US top loader on Ebay for less than that if you look around. Find an auction with a bad title (one that doesn't mention it's a top loader). I've seen them go as low as $60 recently.

or you can just buy a NES for about $20, replace the pin connector for about $10 and have a like new system. even less on the NES if you get it at a garage sale or thrift shop.

or just get an original NES and a new 72 pin connector. In 30 minutes you'll have a perfectly working, authentic NES and save about $85.

I've seen those and they look cool, but a collector friend that has one says that the quality isn't very good - and the sound is a little off.

Buy you an original ZIF socket (front loader) NES, pull it apart and clean the pins and slightly bend them up w/ a screwdriver. Fixed in no time. (Done it a billion times myself. Old NES systems w/ Duckhunt make great gifts!)

[quote name='emperordahc']Buy you an original ZIF socket (front loader) NES, pull it apart and clean the pins and slightly bend them up w/ a screwdriver. Fixed in no time. (Done it a billion times myself. Old NES systems w/ Duckhunt make great gifts!)[/QUOTE]

I 2nd this. The replacement ones you get off ebay work, but they tend to be weak materials and need to be bent back in place relatively frequently. When my replacement started not working, I found my original, cleaned it REALLY throughly and bent just a few of the pins that were out of place and it works everytime. I don't even have to push the game down into the system anymore.

[quote name='n8littlefield']I 2nd this. The replacement ones you get off ebay work, but they tend to be weak materials and need to be bent back in place relatively frequently. When my replacement started not working, I found my original, cleaned it REALLY throughly and bent just a few of the pins that were out of place and it works everytime. I don't even have to push the game down into the system anymore.[/QUOTE]
The one I got off of eBay a few years ago is much nicer than the original, stronger metal, doesn't bend. I've used it a ton and not had a single issue with it in 4 years.

That playmessiah clone is a ripoff. The Yobo clone is much better, and you can pick it up for $20-30. I have the playmessiah wireless nes pads and while they are okay, they are alot different from the original NES pads and take getting used to. Even tho $99 is a nice pricebreak from what the system and controllers were going for, its still not worth it imo...

These games dont work.

Maniac Mansion
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Commando
Gauntlet
Gemfire
Micro machines
RC Pro-am
Rad Racer
Three Stooges
Uncharted Waters

And they're number one seller, the wireless controllers... the reciever isnt even built in the damn machine. WTF??

Yeah, I would never buy one of these after finding out that they're just a cheap clone, even after all the supposed "development" the company put into it. Since it's not true NES hardware, there are games that won't work, and some features of some games will be off. I'll stick with my 1st-gen NES.

Surprisingly, I have one of these and I haven't had any of the problems mentioned. Except for the games mentioned in an earlier post, it plays everything I have that my original NES with a replaced connector does and a few more. And it looks great next to my 360 and in Hi-Def (well, as good as 8 bits can look in HD:lol: ). I recommend it!

[quote name='Number83']Surprisingly, I have one of these and I haven't had any of the problems mentioned. Except for the games mentioned in an earlier post, it plays everything I have that my original NES with a replaced connector does and a few more. And it looks great next to my 360 and in Hi-Def (well, as good as 8 bits can look in HD:lol: ). I recommend it![/quote]

It does play 99.9% nes games with no problem. I think most people are saying that you can get the same effect for alot less. Sure the NEX looks good, but its 3x the price of the other clones.

It just shocks the heck out of me that they'd take such a crappy approach to the fundamentals of the machine when they KNOW they're targetting the hardcore market with this thing. How many NES enthusiasts are going to eventually want to spend time with a game like Castlevania III? Yeah, a big portion of them. Are they going to be pissed when they find out it's incompatible because the NEX uses the same NES-on-a-chip design as those crappy controller-shaped bootleg units that get sold at mall kiosks for $20? Heck yeah! It just doesn't add up to me. They tried to foist the thing off on the segment of the gaming market who is most likely to do some research and know exactly what the company is trying to do. :p

Well then explain the logic of people paying $300 for an ipod when there are many cheaper alternatives. Its all about the sex appeal. I have a generation NEX and I think it rocks. If you don't think they are worth it don't get it and quit bitching.

FYI, the site says 99.9% compatible. This is false.

This means that 99.9% of the titles BOOTED. This doesn't mean that it won't crash midway through the game, (Which it does on many titles)

Go ahead and try to beat River City Ransom from start to finish on an NEX. I dare you.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Well then explain the logic of people paying $300 for an ipod when there are many cheaper alternatives. Its all about the sex appeal. I have a generation NEX and I think it rocks. If you don't think they are worth it don't get it and quit bitching.[/QUOTE]

At least an iPod works as advertised. Bad analogy.

[quote name='grandamchandler']FYI, the site says 99.9% compatible. This is false.

This means that 99.9% of the titles BOOTED. This doesn't mean that it won't crash midway through the game, (Which it does on many titles)

Go ahead and try to beat River City Ransom from start to finish on an NEX. I dare you.[/QUOTE]

That's one of my major issues with the clones, that there is no real compatibility list - just stupid "Well, it booted" types of lists. I've yet to see any of them mention that no clone seems to work with The Legend of Zelda without a bunch of graphical glitches including making the map in the upper left utterly worthless.

The NEX is a very nice looking clone, don't get me wrong, and I've heard that the packaging is REALLY well done. However, in the end, you can't polish a turd.

[quote name='jaybird']At least an iPod works as advertised. Bad analogy.[/QUOTE]

Remember all the problems with ipod batteries? CHECKMATE

[quote name='Mookyjooky']These games dont work.

Maniac Mansion
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Commando
Gauntlet
Gemfire
Micro machines
RC Pro-am
Rad Racer
Three Stooges
Uncharted Waters

And they're number one seller, the wireless controllers... the reciever isnt even built in the damn machine. WTF??[/QUOTE]

There is a wireless switch on the side. If there is a receiver box then it is to use the wireless controllers on the original NES.

People lets remember we are talking emulation here. Is emulation ever perfect? Even the PS2 (which uses hardware for bc and not software) cannot play every PSone game. Don't get me started on the Xbox 360 backward compatibility and we are talking about the world's richest company with millions at its disposal for R&D. So why don't you all quit bagging on a small time company that couldn't perfectly emulate every game from 20 years ago. (especially if you don't own one you have no room to bitch) -end rant

[quote name='Purkeynator']People lets remember we are talking emulation here. Is emulation ever perfect? Even the PS2 (which uses hardware for bc and not software) cannot play every PSone game. Don't get me started on the Xbox 360 backward compatibility and we are talking about the world's richest company with millions at its disposal for R&D. So why don't you all quit bagging on a small time company that couldn't perfectly emulate every game from 20 years ago. (especially if you don't own one you have no room to bitch) -end rant[/QUOTE]

Sorry - I disagree. They were intially selling this thing and the preorders as a system replacement. They hyped a focus on compatibility and did not deliver. Then they release a compatibility chart that is not accurate. Emulation is not accurate, that's true, but when you release a system and say it runs "your favorite NES games" they need to understand that for quite a few of us, that means Castlevania 3.

Xbox360 does not claim 100% compatibility. PS2 did, but later released an ACCURATE compatibility chart and those games on that list are certainly not the greatest games ever. The funny thing is, Sony lists stuff like Midway Arcade and Mortal Kombat Trilogy as not compatible, but both run, they just have glitches - so that means by Messiah's standards, they are fine.

Messiah knew what they were doing, small company or not. Their prerelease press releases all sounded like a better chipset was being used, which clearly wasn't the case. Classic gaming fans were the ones to preorder this system, and those are the gamers that compatibility would actually matter.

Your iPod argument also doesn't work. If there were no benefits to an iPod over an alternate MP3 player except style, you'd be right. But, iPods are almost an industry of their own, you can get accessories and addons that other MP3 players simply don't have. You also get Apple's reputation for quality and their overall ease of use and great user interface designs. Yes, there were issues early on with batteries, but it was fixable. Last time I checked, you can't do much to fix a clone NES system.

I give up. Some of you people are hopeless. Just don't buy it if its not good enough for you. I will go home and play some Super Mario Bros 3 or maybe some Ninja Gaiden. If I ever feel the need, I will break out the old NES to play Castlevania 3. No big deal to me.

[quote name='n8littlefield']Sorry - I disagree. They were intially selling this thing and the preorders as a system replacement. They hyped a focus on compatibility and did not deliver. Then they release a compatibility chart that is not accurate. Emulation is not accurate, that's true, but when you release a system and say it runs "your favorite NES games" they need to understand that for quite a few of us, that means Castlevania 3.

Xbox360 does not claim 100% compatibility. PS2 did, but later released an ACCURATE compatibility chart and those games on that list are certainly not the greatest games ever. The funny thing is, Sony lists stuff like Midway Arcade and Mortal Kombat Trilogy as not compatible, but both run, they just have glitches - so that means by Messiah's standards, they are fine.

Messiah knew what they were doing, small company or not. Their prerelease press releases all sounded like a better chipset was being used, which clearly wasn't the case. Classic gaming fans were the ones to preorder this system, and those are the gamers that compatibility would actually matter.

Your iPod argument also doesn't work. If there were no benefits to an iPod over an alternate MP3 player except style, you'd be right. But, iPods are almost an industry of their own, you can get accessories and addons that other MP3 players simply don't have. You also get Apple's reputation for quality and their overall ease of use and great user interface designs. Yes, there were issues early on with batteries, but it was fixable. Last time I checked, you can't do much to fix a clone NES system.[/QUOTE]

Word. This is almost exactly what I was going to post in response to Purkeynator's comments. I almost wonder if he works for Messiah. They were very public in their comments about how the NEX was not going to be another clone, it was going to be higher quality, made from actual hardware and not just an NES-on-a-chip...it makes little sense to say that you can't complain if you don't own one. We can complain because some of us were hoping for a product that was worth buying!

And, to be honest, we could even just complain about the price in general. After all, this IS Cheap Ass Gamer. ;)

[quote name='Purkeynator']Remember all the problems with ipod batteries? CHECKMATE[/QUOTE]

Not quite. That was all blown out of proportion by a few guys that apparently believed that batteries were supposed to work forever.

Another deal turned into a negative discussion. Why can't it just be cool that he found a good deal on the system? WTG, OP!! Happy St. Paddy's Day!

[quote name='ddp72984']this may sound weird, but does the japanese version of castlevania 3 work?[/QUOTE]

I remember reading that it would work, but because Messiah didn't wire the sound right, that the nice enhanced music in the Japanese version doesn't come through.

bread's done
Back