Genesis Questions

madportagee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
I do already have gametap, which has a good chunk of genesis games, but I have never had one. I was looking at a local gamestore that does have one for $25, I do know you can get them a little cheaper on ebay, but I can trade some stuff in there.
Are there a lot of different good game than what are on gametap?

how do i tell which version of a genesis it actually is?

Which version is the best? because they do have a couple there.

My current setup is on a hdtv projector, would there be any issues there, besides a 1ft tall sonic =)?

thanx for the help

I'll answer some of your questions:
There several versions of the Sega Genesis consoles, some are combined with the Sega CD, which is a whole other matter.

I'll describe the six that I'm aware of. Version 1 is the original Sega Genesis model that is a rectangle with the addition of a headphone jack and can play Sega Master System games through a device called the Power Base Converter.

Version 2 is a square that doesn't have a headphone jack and can't use the Power Base converter. Version 3 is even smaller with a big number 3 painted on the front. Version 4 is the Sega Nomad, which is just a portable version of the Genesis that is unable to use most of the accessories that the previous models. Version 5 is the JVC X'eye which is a hybrid system combining the Sega Genesis and the Sega CD. Version 6 is the Sega CDX, which was like CD player with a Genesis port.

I recomend getting the second model the square shaped one since most of the other Sega Genesis models' cables are kind of difficult to find, least for me anyway. With this version you will have stereo cables(red/yellow/white plugs).

I also heard that the Sega Genesis 3, you could mod to give you S-video, but I'm not sure. I'm sure someone else on here can explain all the above to you, better than I have.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']
Version 2 is a square that doesn't have a headphone jack and can't use the Power Base converter.[/quote]The Model 2 Genesis does work with the Power Base Converter (the extra plastic on the back of the PBC has to be removed).

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']
I also heard that the Sega Genesis 3, you could mod to give you S-video, but I'm not sure. I'm sure someone else on here can explain all the above to you, better than I have.[/quote]

AFAIK, you didnt need to mod the genesis 3 for s video, i had an svideo cable for it, no idea how i got it, i bought it at funcoland years and years ago.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']The Model 2 Genesis does work with the Power Base Converter (the extra plastic on the back of the PBC has to be removed).[/quote]

Interesting, never heard that it could be used. I'd try it, but I don't want to cut the plastic on the back.

bread's done
Back