Geometry Wars DS for $20 at Meijer

Hmmm, I have that game for the DS and for me... it wasn't worth it. If you've played Geometry Wars : Retro Evolved on Live arcade and compare it to the DS's version, you can tell that the game was probably rushed for the DS. It also only uses one screen and is pretty much completly rendered in 2d when they could have done it in 3d with sharper visuals. So, I regret buying this game.

[quote name='machoman_93']Hmmm, I have that game for the DS and for me... it wasn't worth it. If you've played Geometry Wars : Retro Evolved on Live arcade and compare it to the DS's version, you can tell that the game was probably rushed for the DS. It also only uses one screen and is pretty much completly rendered in 2d when they could have done it in 3d with sharper visuals. So, I regret buying this game.[/QUOTE]

That's probably the only testimony that I need.

Well, I bought it at full price and don't regret it one bit (I own both versions, actually.) There are a few tradeoffs vs the console version, sure--it's a little slower overall, and it will chug when there's too many enemies in some levels--but it's portable (which sold me), and the control scheme is probably the best way to play GW, in my own humble opinion.

I thought it was rather impressive considering it was on the DS, actually. But if the visuals are gonna turn you off, then whatever.

This game got pretty good reviews on the DS, not sure how a dual analog game can play on the DS but apparently they made it work.

[quote name='sdp']This game got pretty good reviews on the DS, not sure how a dual analog game can play on the DS but apparently they made it work.[/quote]

In the default scheme, you move with the d-pad and shoot by placing your stylus on the touch screen. You can customize it a number of ways; swapping the screens (buddy of mine plays this way, I think he's crazy), moving with touch, or even moving with the d-pad and shooting with the buttons. First one works the best for me.

[quote name='cheapwiigamer']Wish it were the Wii version. Then I would've jumped on it in a second. I don't own a DS, unfortunately.[/quote]

The Wii version looks pretty damn awful in my opinion ... just ugly for a console

As for the DS version .. I bought this at 30$ and have more then spent enough time on it to pay for it. :D I would deff. suggest it at 20$

The default control scheme for the DS works pretty well.

As mentioned, the graphics are rather dull. The 360's was awesome with the rippling grid background, etc. The lighting and particle effects are extremely dumbed down.

The wireless multiplayer setup is overly complicated. You have to tell it to download the demo to the other players, exit back and start a multiplayer game, they then have to fire up the demo and then manually launch the multiplayer and connect back in. Far too many steps.

The entire game could have used quite a bit more planning.

bread's done
Back