Geometry Wars is fun, but....

GuilewasNK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
110 (100%)
There is just too much crap flying around on screen when you shoot stuff and it explodes. Most of the time I get killed by something I didn't see, not because I was overwhelmed.

You kinda have to trust that your guns are going to clear a path most of the time. As things get really hectic, fly the firection your shooting and keep moving. Make clock-wise or counter-clockwise circles around the board.

I watched a few videos of really, really good players to take a few tips. I'm alrike at the game, not great, but that helped me a lot (I was stuck at around 250,000 points, now when I play I have the goal to reach 1mil--not quite there yet, around 890k is my top I think).

[quote name='daroga']You kinda have to trust that your guns are going to clear a path most of the time. As things get really hectic, fly the firection your shooting and keep moving. Make clock-wise or counter-clockwise circles around the board.

I watched a few videos of really, really good players to take a few tips. I'm alrike at the game, not great, but that helped me a lot (I was stuck at around 250,000 points, now when I play I have the goal to reach 1mil--not quite there yet, around 890k is my top I think).[/quote]

Well Robotron 2084 has lots of exploding crap but at least it is reasonable to see through and I have a decent score on that. The game is very similar to Geometry Wars.

[quote name='slickkill77']I think my 3,500,000 score speaks for itself...[/quote]
damb! i thought i was really good with my 600 thousand point score. You must be really good because im at the top of my friends leaderboard, and i have almost 100 friends

I am still a newb myself, with my highest being over 300k. Watching the videos helps though, learned a few new tricks that way.

I don't have a problem with the number of enemies, its just the explosions when you kill them make it really hard to see enemies because they cover half the screen and cycle the colors of the rainbow.

In Robotron 2084 the explosions are smaller in scale and less colorful.

[quote name='slickkill77']I think my 3,500,000 score speaks for itself...[/quote]

You're not on any missing persons lists, or on the back of a milk carton are you? Have you seen the sun in 2007?

Just kidding... that's a scary high score... Now there's no point in me playing the game anymore... because if I break 350K, I am doing an endzone dance...

Well, speaking as someone who at his peak months ago, blew well past the 5,000,000 mark more than once (Is that bragging? I'm sure it will be perceived as such, 'cause you're reading it, and it's me posting it), I can safely say that playing this game in widescreen HD puts one at a slight (?) disadvantage over those playing in standard definition, with a 'fullscreen' ratio. The reasons being, the fullscreen aspect allows you to see enemies coming a split-second earlier (particularly the red ships) and with HD, the explosion colors really 'pop' that much more, and it can be blinding at times.

Sure, HD players can see each individual jack/mayfly a little bit better, but if you're looking for each one of these, you're probably about 0.2 seconds away from death. After hitting the six-million mark, I kind of 'retired' from the game and didn't play it again until the rust had set in and I acquired an HDTV. A couple weeks ago, I 'fell off the wagon' and was playing this nightly again, and even though I felt like my 'chops' were back in full form, I couldn't seem to break the 4,000,000 mark, and while I used to be able to hit 2.5-3 million with no effort, that's even a struggle for me now. No excuses, but I maintain that HD hurts you here, in a game where milliseconds are everything.

Either way, though, it's all about knowing how to instantly react to the variety of enemy attack waves, and knowing how to 'dance' with the various enemies, not (always) straight-up attack them. The game is constantly asking you to be simultaneously the ultimate aggressor and extremely evasive, and that's why it's still the best thing from a 'next-gen' console. No, seriously.

P.S. The Wii version could be transcendental, but I'm afraid it'll be an imprecise cash-in trainwreck, and maybe even largely dumbed-down.

[quote name='jollydwarf']Well, speaking as someone who at his peak months ago, blew well past the 5,000,000 mark more than once (Is that bragging? I'm sure it will be perceived as such, 'cause you're reading it, and it's me posting it), I can safely say that playing this game in widescreen HD puts one at a slight (?) disadvantage over those playing in standard definition, with a 'fullscreen' ratio. The reasons being, the fullscreen aspect allows you to see enemies coming a split-second earlier (particularly the red ships) and with HD, the explosion colors really 'pop' that much more, and it can be blinding at times.

Sure, HD players can see each individual jack/mayfly a little bit better, but if you're looking for each one of these, you're probably about 0.2 seconds away from death. After hitting the six-million mark, I kind of 'retired' from the game and didn't play it again until the rust had set in and I acquired an HDTV. A couple weeks ago, I 'fell off the wagon' and was playing this nightly again, and even though I felt like my 'chops' were back in full form, I couldn't seem to break the 4,000,000 mark, and while I used to be able to hit 2.5-3 million with no effort, that's even a struggle for me now. No excuses, but I maintain that HD hurts you here, in a game where milliseconds are everything.

Either way, though, it's all about knowing how to instantly react to the variety of enemy attack waves, and knowing how to 'dance' with the various enemies, not (always) straight-up attack them. The game is constantly asking you to be simultaneously the ultimate aggressor and extremely evasive, and that's why it's still the best thing from a 'next-gen' console. No, seriously.

P.S. The Wii version could be transcendental, but I'm afraid it'll be an imprecise cash-in trainwreck, and maybe even largely dumbed-down.[/quote]

You do 'this shit' way too much.

I came very close to the 1,000,000 mark (around 970,000 if I recall correctly). I think that the game is pretty tough overall, but that is what makes it so fun to replay.

I hope that they get the Wii version right and that it is not overpriced when it is released.

[quote name='thegamer4787']I came very close to the 1,000,000 mark (around 970,000 if I recall correctly). I think that the game is pretty tough overall, but that is what makes it so fun to replay.

I hope that they get the Wii version right and that it is not overpriced when it is released.[/quote]
Well so far Buy.com has the Wii and DS versions up for preorder at $29.99 (alas, no free shipping).... I'm hoping the DS version turns out well, portable Geometry Wars = :drool:

Highest I've ever gotten is 2.5 million. The videos of the really good people are disgusting, I really don't get how they do it.

[quote name='AnotherStereotype']Well so far Buy.com has the Wii and DS versions up for preorder at $29.99 (alas, no free shipping).... I'm hoping the DS version turns out well, portable Geometry Wars = :drool:[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, I must not forget about the DS version (I agree that portable geometry wars will rock if it turns out well). I wonder if any Wii/DS connectivity is possible with these games.

[quote name='Mechafenris']You're not on any missing persons lists, or on the back of a milk carton are you? Have you seen the sun in 2007?

Just kidding... that's a scary high score... Now there's no point in me playing the game anymore... because if I break 350K, I am doing an endzone dance...[/QUOTE]

My highest is 2.2 million... and yeah, it doesn't take THAT LONG to get to the millions. Once you start figuring out the pattern of movement that works out best for you, you can get lucky in one play and go really far. The best though, are in the 100 millions... I think K4rna4ge(best GW player in the world) got the highest score at 360,360,600(I think that's right... not sure).

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/07/k4rn4ge-to-attempt-1-billion-point-geometry-wars-high-score/

[quote name='thegamer4787']Ah yes, I must not forget about the DS version (I agree that portable geometry wars will rock if it turns out well). I wonder if any Wii/DS connectivity is possible with these games.[/quote]I've said it before, but a Pac-Man vs. esque setup would be great. Person on the TV controls the ship, fighting for his life, while the person with the DS controls the who/when/where of the enemy wave spawns. It'd be fantastic.

But I really can't see anything other than dual analog being useful for this game. The Wii and DS implementations of the controls scare me, save for the use of the CC on the Wii, and even that suffers from DualShock-itis.

back when I used to obsessively play this game it was my goal to get 1 million, I don't think I ever beat 400k though.

Basically like others said though. Go in a circle around the map and just shoot forward. Mainly you got to look forward just in front of you ship knowing your enemies and knowing what you can shoot through and what may make you want to take an alternate route.

so the main keys:

1)Know your enemy
2)keep your eye just in front of your ship knowing what is in front of you.
3)yet at the same time you have to see the whole picture knowing what is around the corner.

Meh, I thought this game would be amazing after all I heard about it for so long. It looks great, and is like one of my fond childhood games (Asteroids) on steroids. But once I actually played it I got bored after about 30 minutes, and don't really understand the fuss. I'll have to try it again. Daroga, I saw your score and couldn't believe how high it was - and then the other scores in this thread!? :roll:

[quote name='Daywalker']My highest is 2.2 million... and yeah, it doesn't take THAT LONG to get to the millions. Once you start figuring out the pattern of movement that works out best for you, you can get lucky in one play and go really far. The best though, are in the 100 millions... I think K4rna4ge(best GW player in the world) got the highest score at 360,360,600(I think that's right... not sure).

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/07/k4rn4ge-to-attempt-1-billion-point-geometry-wars-high-score/[/quote]

And even then, he stopped on PURPOSE, which is just amazing...

I get stuck at like a little before the 200k mark usually, I get killed by one of those small things that are like one dash, and then I never get the same rhthym going again.

After I get all the achievements on a game I normally quit, but I still like to play Geo Wars. That's a huge testament to the game cuz I'm a huge whore.

I'm still able to go back and play but im not quiet as good anymore. I also have 1 million plus on retro and I have no idea how i did that

[quote name='io']Meh, I thought this game would be amazing after all I heard about it for so long. It looks great, and is like one of my fond childhood games (Asteroids) on steroids. But once I actually played it I got bored after about 30 minutes, and don't really understand the fuss. I'll have to try it again. Daroga, I saw your score and couldn't believe how high it was - and then the other scores in this thread!? :roll:[/quote]There's not a ton to it; it's very much a "beat the high score" sort of game. But I don't, it's addictive. The first game on the 360 (XBLA or retail game) that has even held a candle to in terms of pulling me in to keep playing is Pac-Man CE. GW is by far my favorite game on the 360.

Another tip I've found, don't be scared to use bombs. In fact, use bombs at any point you think there's a chance you might get hit. I used to end a game with like 4 bombs in reserve. If you die, you lose your multiplier; if you use a bomb, you don't, which means that regaining those bombs "carelessly" used, is a fairly quick process later on in the game. At some point you're likely to run out, but by that time you'll have amassed such a bank of lives, that you should be able to run for quite some time.

[quote name='daroga']I've never messed around with custom soundtracks in any 360 games. How does that work?[/QUOTE]

Either rip a CD to your hard drive or plug in a external hard drive (or iPod or certain flash players) with music and then press the guide button and select your music.

It works in every single game.

Haven't played in ages, just looked and saw my high score was ~1.6 million.

Only strategy i had was to keep going in circles and always shooting a path for myself, nothing more than that.

[quote name='Sporadic']Either rip a CD to your hard drive or plug in a external hard drive (or iPod or certain flash players) with music and then press the guide button and select your music.

It works in every single game.[/quote]Dang, that's cool. Even if "custom soundtracks" aren't marked on the back on the box? I'd love to replace the songs in NFS:MW.

[quote name='daroga']You kinda have to trust that your guns are going to clear a path most of the time. As things get really hectic, fly the firection your shooting and keep moving. Make clock-wise or counter-clockwise circles around the board.

I watched a few videos of really, really good players to take a few tips. I'm alrike at the game, not great, but that helped me a lot (I was stuck at around 250,000 points, now when I play I have the goal to reach 1mil--not quite there yet, around 890k is my top I think).[/QUOTE]

This is what turns me off to GW...It doesn't have the variety of the classic shooters, not even close...Cool game for 5 bucks though...

[quote name='daroga']Dang, that's cool. Even if "custom soundtracks" aren't marked on the back on the box? I'd love to replace the songs in NFS:MW.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.

Every single Xbox 360 game no matter what. It's a part of the specs.

Just select it what you want to play from the guide and it will shut off the game's normal music.

[quote name='dserafin1986']This is what turns me off to GW...It doesn't have the variety of the classic shooters, not even close...Cool game for 5 bucks though...[/quote]

Could you elaborate by telling us which classic shooters you have in mind?

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Could you elaborate by telling us which classic shooters you have in mind?[/quote]I wondered the same thing. If anything, Geometry Wars with its very different enemy types varies far more than you Asteroids, Galagas, and Cenepedes.

I heard Mutant Swarm is a good similar game if you think Geometry Wars is too intense.

The custom music does work but the only problem is that it will play over all game sounds....but yea most classic shooters have no variety besides maybe smash tv

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Could you elaborate by telling us which classic shooters you have in mind?[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about classic horizontal sprite based shooters like Metal Slug or Gates of Thunder...Or your top down sprite based shooters like Mars Matrix...Radiant Silvergun, etc...

I know that it's rough to compare a game like GW with the megagod shooters of the past, but when in rome...I'd much rather play Metal Slug than GW

[quote name='dserafin1986']I'd much rather play Metal Slug than GW[/quote]

As much as I like Metal Slug, I'd have to say that Metal Slug and Geometry Wars are on completely different levels. GW is a high score game as where MS actually has an ending.

[quote name='Rozz']I heard Mutant Swarm is a good similar game if you think Geometry Wars is too intense.[/quote]

I hadn't heard of that one.

I still think Robotron: 2084 and SmashTV are good similar games. The special effects aren't nearly as obstructive.

What I'm afraid of is that the next Geometry Wars is going to have its precious, very fragile balance broken in favor of either a.) upping the challenge for the 'all 200 points' crowd or b.) making it more accessible to everyone else. If it's the latter, they'd better keep escalating the difficulty well past the point it ultimately hits in this game, because otherwise there will be some (thousands of?) people that could literally play forever.

I also think online multiplayer, while extremely likely, will be just laggy enough to break the game...and maybe a few controllers. They can sell 'skins' for the game, too, but they'd better not fuck with the vectorscan-on-graph-paper-in-space minimalist aesthetic of the default graphics. I wouldn't add more than three additional enemies, and they'd better be damned sure they all fit the game.

As good as this game is, if the sequel is more than 800 points, I'll be pissed. Didn't say I won't bite the bullet and buy it this time, but I'll be pissed.

My personal record is about 3.25 million (done on a controller when my XBL profile wasn't logged in :(). I've had my 360 for about 14 months and I play it pretty frequently, and to this day I still say my greatest gaming moment on my 360 was "Surviving 1,000,000".

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Well, I've done a little better and have over 500,000 points now.[/QUOTE]

Nice man! Just keep playing for a few each night. Its one of those games where you just have to keep playing it. Concentrate on not dying and not scoreboard watching. I have a really bad habit of getting to game over with 2-3 bombs left. My tops is 877,00. Its super addictive.

bread's done
Back