Get $50 Best Buy Gift Card For Each Purchased HD DVD Player Before Feb 23rd 2008

SpeedBrkr

CAGiversary!
Announcement Here

An Important Message from Best Buy for HD DVD Player Owners

For months, there has been much debate surrounding the two competing high-definition video formats: Toshiba's HD DVD and Sony's Blu-ray Disc. Recently, Toshiba announced that they will no longer produce HD DVD players, and movie studios have decided not to release new titles in the HD DVD format.

Exciting news if you bought your HD DVD player from Best Buy
As the owner of an HD DVD player, you may have concerns about these developments. At Best Buy, we are dedicated to making sure you always have the right technology for you. That's why we're offering you a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008. (See details and qualifying models.) Use the gift card to treat yourself to anything you want in our stores or online. Most qualifying customers will automatically receive their complimentary gift card by mail in the coming weeks. If you qualify and haven't received yours by May 1, 2008, please call us at 1-888-BEST-BUY to verify your eligibility (have your receipt handy, if possible).

Good news (even if you didn't buy from us)
Be assured that your HD DVD player will continue to play existing HD DVD titles (and upconvert standard DVDs to near-HD quality) as it always has. If you purchased a Best Buy service plan with your HD DVD player, we will continue to honor it for the life of the plan. If, however, you wish to trade in your HD DVD player and HD DVDs, we offer a convenient way to do so via our Best Buy Trade-In Center. Beginning March 21, visit BestBuyTradeIn.com to get an instant estimate of the value of your HD DVD player and movies. See below for further information, along with additional resources that we hope you'll find helpful as you examine your options.

QUALIFYING MODELS

Best Buy's offer of a complimentary $50 gift card for each HD DVD player purchased is extended to customers who bought any of the following HD DVD products in Best Buy retail stores or online at BestBuy.com by 11:59 p.m. CST on February 22, 2008:
  • Toshiba HD DVD player models:
    HD-A1, HD-A2, HD-A20, HD-XA2, HD-A3, HD-A30, HD-A35
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 HD DVD player accessory model 9Z5-00013
Offer excludes HD DVD-equipped computers and laptops, and so-called "dual-format" or "universal" high-definition disc player models designed to play both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD media.

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']Sweet! Now I can trade-in my Addon for $50 store credit! :D[/quote]

You don't have to trade it in. You just get a $50 GC for having purchased one before the specified date (Feb 23rd), provided you have a receipt.

Wow....I wonder how this "automatically" business is going to work...is it going to feed off reward card info, or 5 free HD DVD rebate info, credit card info or what. I'm digging that they say "EACH" HD DVD player you purchased, since I picked up a couple 360 Add ons during that insane get Heros and 2 other HD DVD boxsets for free with purchase of HD DVD hardware sale back in the fall.

Holy shit!

I also took advantage of that matrix/heroes promo a while back. I hope they can track that purchase down. Thanks for the heads up op!

I don't see how the heck this can be truly automatic without somehow integrating into their RewardZone program. (Having had to do tons of purchase look-ups when I worked there, the customer information database is impressively thorough even for non-members, though, but using the information within to get contact information, unauthorized, probably would be seen as a breach of privacy.) That said, I'm psyched. I picked up 3 Xbox add-ons during the free-Heroes-plus-2 promo.

Also, $50 without having to trade-in your drive/player? Credit that does not need to be applied to a Blu-Ray player? That's unnecessarily generous. Kudos.

Wait, so I can just go back and show them my receipt to get a free $50 giftcard? This sounds too good to be true. If it is, this HD add-on is the gift that keeps on giving. First I got the Heroes deal and 3 free boxsets, then I got another free $35 giftcard out of it that netted me 2 more HD DVDs in a BOGO. Wow if this is true.

Awesome! I wasn't really bitter because I got a hell of a deal on the 360 add-on at Best Buy to begin with, but $50 is always great! :)

[quote name='munch']Wait, so I can just go back and show them my receipt to get a free $50 giftcard? This sounds too good to be true. If it is, this HD add-on is the gift that keeps on giving. First I got the Heroes deal and 3 free boxsets, then I got another free $35 giftcard out of it that netted me 2 more HD DVDs in a BOGO. Wow if this is true.[/quote]

If you read the offer it says the cards will be mailed out automatically, and to call with yoru receipt in hand if you have questions about your eligibility.

I'm not sure about the automaticlly part...knowing my luck, I'll probably have to call, anyway $50 gift card+ a little work is not to bad

This is awfuly generous, but I can almost guarantee that they will royally screw this up. Going to have to call, for sure.

I wish that I had bought more than the 2 HD-DVD players that I have.

I got one player from bestbuy.com and one from bestbuyforbusiness.com back in November. I'll cross my fingers for two cards, but I'll probably have to call about one or both of them

I am going to look into this........ $50 bucks is better than nothing as most of us paid 180+ for our 360 HD-DVD add on drive. It will most likely be shot down at the store level due to lazy/cheap managers.

nice! 50 bones for me, and they are going to let you trade in stuff if you wise and give u the estimate before? wow.

okay, an update on this "deal"

those of you (and me) got the X360 AO during the box set glitch promotion are not eligible for the $50 gc... The purchase of the hd-dvd player has to be in between Nov something 2007 to Feb 23, 2008.

Actually, if you qualify, BB suppose to send you an e-mail or letter regarding the $50 gc...

whoa....i think ive bought at least 3 from BB but not sure if i still have receipts(since i dont have the units anymore).

I did keep photocopies from sending in rebates and have a rewardzone card, so i should be ok.

[quote name='Serpentor']okay, an update on this "deal"

those of you (and me) got the X360 AO during the box set glitch promotion are not eligible for the $50 gc... The purchase of the hd-dvd player has to be in between Nov something 2007 to Feb 23, 2008.

Actually, if you qualify, BB suppose to send you an e-mail or letter regarding the $50 gc...[/quote]

:wall:

Son of a bitch!

The box set heroes promo happened in what? late October?!??!

[quote name='Serpentor']okay, an update on this "deal"

Actually, if you qualify, BB suppose to send you an e-mail or letter regarding the $50 gc...[/QUOTE]

Nowhere does it say that. Everyone who bought one before Feb 22 gets the $50 giftcard. Unless you can provide a link that says otherwise, quit providing false information.

I just reread all the press releases, it doesn't say anywhere it has to be AFTER a certain date... just before Feb. 22nd.

I bought 3 HD-DVD players in-store at Best Buy on November 4, 2007. I REALLY hope there is no beginning date. Not sure where Serpenter is getting his information, but on the BB site it doesn't mention anything at all except any purchase "before February 23, 2008".

BUT, I have not gotten an e-mail or phone call or anything saying that I qualify, so I'm worried

*Crossing my fingers*

Thanks to the OP though for bringing this to our attention!

[quote name='munch']Nowhere does it say that. Everyone who bought one before Feb 22 gets the $50 giftcard. Unless you can provide a link that says otherwise, quit providing false information.[/quote]

Mr Munch, just call the 1888 number and get the "false" information yourself.

"Best Buy is following Future Shop, Circuit City and others in reaching out to casualties of the format war. In this case, anyone who bought an HD DVD player from Best Buy before February 23, 2008 can request a complimentary $50 gift card for each player."

i think everybody jumped on after that date..lol

[quote name='Serpentor']Mr Munch, just call the 1888 number and get the "false" information yourself.[/quote]

If that's the case then that really sucks! I want a $50 gc!

Well, I'm sure we'll hear how this ultimately works out but I don't know if I would trust the customer service number for the straight dope for something that was only announced a few hours ago. It would be quite surprising that they left out that salient fact out of the link and press release, given there are several spots where this could have been spelled out. And given that this is being done as a good will/marketing effort, I doubt they would be so half assed about it...After all, the folks that bought a HD DVD player (when they were 300+) in early 2007 are far more valuable in Best Buy's big picture view than those who picked up HD DVD player for $150 at thanksgiving, and Best Buy wants to keep those early adopter Barrys from becoming gun shy about new tech as well as doing something that will keep them loyal to buying from Best Buy vs. say Amazon.

can anyone get into the rewardzone website? I'm getting a login failed and im fairly sure I'm using right login. Then I get an error trying to retrieve password just in case...

[quote name='Serpentor']Mr Munch, just call the 1888 number and get the "false" information yourself.[/QUOTE]

Well, clearly you didn't call since I just did and they told me I'm fine. As long as you bought it after Nov. 06 and before Feb 22 08 you're fine.

So, again, quit lying about this stuff and spewing false information.

if this indeed true, I am sure best buy will limit 1 gift card per house hold/customer for those people who bought more than 1 during the promo.

[quote name='munch']Well, clearly you didn't call since I just did and they told me I'm fine. As long as you bought it after Nov. 06 and before Feb 22 08 you're fine.

So, again, quit lying about this stuff and spewing false information.[/QUOTE]
Um, isn't that what you were trying to disprove?

[quote name='ITDEFX']if this indeed true, I am sure best buy will limit 1 gift card per house hold/customer for those people who bought more than 1 during the promo.[/QUOTE]

a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008.

the word each makes me think you can get multiple gift cards if you purchased multiple machines

[quote name='K_G']Well, I'm sure we'll hear how this ultimately works out but I don't know if I would trust the customer service number for the straight dope for something that was only announced a few hours ago. It would be quite surprising that they left out that salient fact out of the link and press release, given there are several spots where this could have been spelled out. And given that this is being done as a good will/marketing effort, I doubt they would be so half assed about it...After all, the folks that bought a HD DVD player (when they were 300+) in early 2007 are far more valuable in Best Buy's big picture view than those who picked up HD DVD player for $150 at thanksgiving, and Best Buy wants to keep those early adopter Barrys from becoming gun shy about new tech as well as doing something that will keep them loyal to buying from Best Buy vs. say Amazon.[/quote]

heart hear, i'm all for it :) Hey, after all, who's gonna argue for a $50 gc right? I'm just saying, i got shot down...

Here's some info over the phone:

Press #1 if you got an e-mail or phone call regarding the $50 gc for hd-dvd player purchase...

Press #2 (i forgot, but something about the status of $50 gc or something)

Press #3 if you're inquiring whether or not you're eligible for the offer...

When you press #3, you're promoted for the same #1, 2 and 3 again (a loop, as to why, your guess is good as mine).

I got an operator, she put me on hold for a minute and told me the offer is good if the player is bought between Nov something 2007 to Feb 23 2008

[quote name='Cable387']Um, isn't that what you were trying to disprove?[/QUOTE]

november 2006 and november 2007 are a big difference

original guy said nov 07

it's probably not his fault though, bestbuy could of messed up or just said november and he thought it was nov 07 not 06

[quote name='Cable387']Um, isn't that what you were trying to disprove?[/quote]

you know, once is enough, i had it with this kind of crappy shit...

sorry, not directed at you cable.

[quote name='rsigley']a complimentary $50 Best Buy gift card for each HD DVD player you purchased from Best Buy before February 23, 2008.

the word each makes me think you can get multiple gift cards if you purchased multiple machines[/quote]

oh ok..

I expect this to take 8-10 weeks to get the gift card though. :whistle2:(

[quote name='Pookymeister']can anyone get into the rewardzone website? I'm getting a login failed and im fairly sure I'm using right login. Then I get an error trying to retrieve password just in case...[/QUOTE]

Same problem here. I wanted to look up when I bought my A35. I'm thinking it was right after 2/23 unfortunately when the A35s were on "clearance" for $150.

Tangential to the main topic:

If we're still discussing what customers are more important to appease with this gesture, I would not count out Best Buy for Business customers. BBFB clients are prime money-makers because they buy in large quantity (volume discounts but economics of scale are enjoyed) and purchase service contracts (installation, repair, maintenance = pure profit). Each client is assigned a single contact within their local store who is assigned a company cell phone to make sure they can always take care of the needs of their client. Unless things have changed in the less-than-a-year since I've left BB, BBFB was a key initiative, and employees in all departments were tasked with determining whether their customers operated businesses so that they could be referred to the program. Business customers are VIPs with Best Buy, and the store will bend over backwards to make sure they are pleased and will remain long-term customers.

[quote name='Pookymeister']can anyone get into the rewardzone website? I'm getting a login failed and im fairly sure I'm using right login. Then I get an error trying to retrieve password just in case...[/quote]

Same problem here. Login fails, password retrieval fails.

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']Same problem here. Login fails, password retrieval fails.[/quote]

Good to know its not my account then, thanks

[quote name='gobrink']Damn, I bought mine on 2/24/08.[/QUOTE]

i did too.most people did. the drop didn't even happen til the 23rd, and they say BEFORE the 23rd. And the word "before" is even underlined in their site.

so really, you couldn't have got it for $50 before the 23rd, you would have gotten it for $70.

my crazy spin on it: i saved $20!

bread's done
Back