Get 6 Star Trek Movies on Blu-ray For Under $80 at Amazon and Wal-Mart

snipermike

CAGiversary!
Releasing on May 12, Paramount’s Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection will be hitting Blu-ray. The set contains the following films: 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture,' 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan,' 'Star Trek III: The Search for Spock,' 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home,' 'Star Trek V: The Final Frontier,' and 'Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.'

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10927492

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001TH16DI/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad. $93.99 is Amazon's current price.
The only bad thing about WM is not being able to cancel the order if you change your mind. You can always to a return though.
Thanks for the info!
Where to order from??? Decisions, decisions.

Here's hoping they take a que from the Matrix Trilogy on Bluray and release the good movies separately in a few months.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for anything containing Star Trek 5 and 6.

Has there been any mention yet if the movies are in separate, normal cases inside? With the $30 or so in gift cards I have from various wal-mart web pricing mistakes, I might pick this up if they are in their own cases.

Does this include everything that was on the special edition DVDs? Reviews are bad on amazon so I'm guessing no.

[quote name='rickonker']Does this include everything that was on the special edition DVDs? Reviews are bad on amazon so I'm guessing no.[/quote]
I thought I had read that Paramount was actaully one of the good studios that includes most, if not all of the extras that were on the DVDs. I think most of the negative reviews are angry that Director's cuts are being left out etc. and the inevitable double-dip that will be made with Trek on any format.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Keavy_Rain']Any word on when Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis will make their way to Blu-Ray?[/quote]

Rumor is possibly later this year when ST:XI hits blu/dvd.

If anyone has this preordered with amazon and the price didn't adjust on your order, I'd suggest canceling and reordering. Sometimes the price adjustments aren't made and the price went back up. This just happened recently to some with the X-Men set.

[quote name='rickonker']Does this include everything that was on the special edition DVDs? Reviews are bad on amazon so I'm guessing no.[/QUOTE]

Every single Paramount Blu-ray released so far has just about every extra ever made for which ever movie is being sold. They'll even put some of the older extras on there in HD if they can.

I like BSG, and most "hard" sci-fi in general but I could never get into the Star Trek series(the later ones). And never had a desire to watch the original version. Again I'm a sci-fi fan so what are the chances I'll like this?

I have this in my gold box should I order?

[quote name='Vader582']Amazon just matched the WM price. w00t!!![/QUOTE]

Excellent...with no tax and no shipping this is a better deal than Walmart...though I will thank Walmart for getting them to lower the price in the first place ;)

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for anything containing Star Trek 5 and 6.[/QUOTE]

Why the diss on 6? Undiscovered Country is damn good.

As far as for me... I'll wait for the inevitable double dip on these. Especially since "Wrath Of Khan" does not have the extended cut.

Wasn't there some issue as well that these were being raced into production and as such the cleanup/etc wasn't particularly good for HD?

[quote name='shadowrage']Every single Paramount Blu-ray released so far has just about every extra ever made for which ever movie is being sold. They'll even put some of the older extras on there in HD if they can.

I like BSG, and most "hard" sci-fi in general but I could never get into the Star Trek series(the later ones). And never had a desire to watch the original version. Again I'm a sci-fi fan so what are the chances I'll like this?

I have this in my gold box should I order?[/quote]I'd pre-order, you can always cancel it later. I love BSG but I've always loved Trek too. If it's been a while since you've watched any Trek, I'd give it a chance again. It might be better as a rental for you. *shrug*

Like Demolition Man said, these aren't exactly perfect versions of the films. I believe 2 and 6 have better cuts on DVD which are not being included on the Blu-Rays. This is still a cool set, but there's a decent chance that they will double dip in the future.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Here's hoping they take a que from the Matrix Trilogy on Bluray and release the good movies separately in a few months.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for anything containing Star Trek 5 and 6.[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with 6? it was one of the best ones.

[quote name='eastx']Like Demolition Man said, these aren't exactly perfect versions of the films. I believe 2 and 6 have better cuts on DVD which are not being included on the Blu-Rays. This is still a cool set, but there's a decent chance that they will double dip in the future.[/QUOTE]

Its odd to me that they are not using the extended cut for "Undiscovered Country" since EVERY home video release has used the extended cut.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Why the diss on 6? Undiscovered Country is damn good.

As far as for me... I'll wait for the inevitable double dip on these. Especially since "Wrath Of Khan" does not have the extended cut.[/QUOTE]

I just wasn't feeling 6 at all the night I saw it, or all the times I've tried since then. The zero G blood was cool, that was about it.

And thanks for the info about the theatre cut of Khan, that makes me sad. It's Terminator 2 on Bluray all over again. :(

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for anything containing Star Trek 5 and 6.[/quote]

Then, assuming you could also live without STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, you'd probably be more interested in this: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Pic...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1239971055&sr=1-2

[quote name='rickonker']Does this include everything that was on the special edition DVDs? Reviews are bad on amazon so I'm guessing no.[/quote]

This is taken from The Digital Bits's lengthy breakdown of the set:

Here's a look at the special features you'll find on the Blu-ray versions of each movie disc (it's over 14 hours of bonus content in all, including 2½ hours of all-new material)...

[Editor's Note #4: In the features descriptions below, you'll notice that all of the Okuda text commentaries from the previous 2-disc DVDs have been dropped. We're told by studio sources that the Okudas used what they wrote in the text commentaries in the Library Computer feature on each disc, so the original text feature was dropped as redundant.]

Star Trek: The Motion Picture will include new audio commentary by Michael & Denise Okuda, Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens and Daren Dochterman, 3 HD featurettes (The Longest Trek: Writing the Motion Picture
, Special Star Trek Reunion and Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind V'ger), deleted scenes, storyboards, trailers (in HD), TV spots, BD-Java Library Computer access and the Star Trek I.Q. BD-Live feature.

Missing from the previous 2-disc DVD release are the
Director's Edition
of the film, the Robert Wise group audio commentary, the Okuda text commentary (see Editor's Note #4 above), 3 featurettes (Phase II: The Lost Enterprise, A Bold New Enterprise and Redirecting the Future), and the Director's Edition trailer. Presumably, these will be included on a future Director's Edition Blu-ray release.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
will include audio commentary with director Nicholas Meyer, a new commentary by Meyer and Manny Coto, 4 HD featurettes (James Horner: Composing Genesis, A Tribute to Ricardo Montalban, Collecting Star Trek's Movie Relics and Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind Ceti Alpha VI), 4 SD featurettes (Captain's Log, Designing Khan, Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Visual Effects of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and The Star Trek Universe: A Novel Approach), original interviews with DeForest Kelley, William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and Ricardo Montalban, storyboards, the theatrical trailer (in HD), BD-Java Library Computer access and the Star Trek I.Q. BD-Live feature.

Missing from the previous 2-disc DVD release is the
Extended Director's Edition
of the film, the extended commentary with Meyer, and the Okuda text commentary (see Editor's Note #4 above). Presumably, these will be included on a future Director's Edition release on Blu-ray.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
will include audio commentary by director Leonard Nimoy, writer/producer Harve Bennett, director of photography Charles Correll and Robin Curtis, a new commentary by Ronald D. Moore and Michael Taylor, 3 HD featurettes (Industrial Light & Magic: The Visual Effects of Star Trek, Spock: The Early Years and Star Trek and the Science Fiction Museum Hall of Fame), 6 SD featurettes (Captain's Log, Space Docks and Birds of Prey, Speaking Klingon, Klingon and Vulcan Costumes, Terraforming and the Prime Directive and Starfleet Academy: The Mystery Behind the Vulcan Katra Transfer), storyboards, photo galleries, the theatrical trailer (in HD), BD-Java Library Computer access and the Star Trek I.Q. BD-Live feature.

Missing from the previous 2-disc DVD release is the Okuda text commentary (see
Editor's Note #4
above).

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
will include audio commentary by William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, a new commentary by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, 4 HD featurettes (Pavel Chekov's Screen Moments, The Three-Picture Saga, Star Trek for a Cause and Starfleet Academy: The Whale Probe), 12 SD featurettes (Time Travel: The Art of the Possible, The Language of Whales, A Vulcan Primer, Kirk's Women, Future's Past: A Look Back, On Location, Dailies Deconstruction, Below-the-Line: Sound Design, From Outer Space to the Ocean, The Bird of Prey, Roddenberry Scrapbook and Featured Artist: Mark Lenard), original interviews with Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner and DeForest Kelley, a production gallery, storyboards, the theatrical trailer (in HD), BD-Java Library Computer access and the Star Trek I.Q. BD-Live feature.

Missing from the previous 2-disc DVD is the Okuda text commentary (see
Editor's Note #4
above).

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
will include audio commentary by William Shatner and Liz Shatner, a new commentary by Michael & Denise Okuda and Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens and Daren Dochterman, 3 HD featurettes (Star Trek Honors NASA, Hollywood Walk of Fame: James Doohan and Starfleet Academy: Nimbus III), 11 SD featurettes (Herman Zimmerman: A Tribute, Original Interview: William Shatner, Cosmic Thoughts, That Klingon Couple, A Green Future?, Harve Bennett's Pitch to the Sales Team, The Journey: A Behind-the-Scenes Documentary, Makeup Tests, Pre-Visualization Models, Rock Man in the Raw and Star Trek V Press Conference), deleted scenes, a production gallery, storyboards, theatrical trailers (in HD), TV spots, BD-Java Library Computer access and the Star Trek I.Q. BD-Live feature.

Missing from the previous 2-disc DVD is the Okuda text commentary (see
Editor's Note #4
above).

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
will include audio commentary by director Nicholas Meyer and screenwriter Denny Martin Flinn, a new commentary by Larry Nemecek and Ira Steven Behr, 3 HD featurettes (Tom Morga: Alien Stuntman, To Be or Not to Be: Klingons and Shakespeare and Starfleet Academy: Praxis), 6 SD Stories from Star Trek VI featurettes (It Started with a Story, Prejudice, Director Nicholas Meyer, Shakespeare & General Chang, Bring it to Life and Farewell & Goodbye), 8 additional SD featurettes (Conversations with Nicholas Meyer, Klingons: Conjuring the Legend, Federation Operatives, Penny's Toy Box, Together Again, The Perils of Peacemaking, DeForest Kelley: A Tribute and Original Cast Interviews), footage of the 1991 Convention Presentation by Nicholas Meyer, a production gallery, storyboards, trailers (in HD), BD-Java Library Computer access and the Star Trek I.Q. BD-Live feature. [Editor's Note #5: A number of readers have asked us whether this film will be presented at the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio of the theatrical release, or the 2.0:1 ratio of the previous DVD release. We've confirmed that it will be 2.35, and that the director was involved in this decision.]

Missing from the previous 2-disc DVD is the Extended Version
of the film, the extended commentary with Meyer, and the Okuda text commentary (see Editor's Note #4 above). Presumably, these will be included on a future Extended Edition release on Blu-ray.

Finally, the
Star Trek: The Captains' Summit
bonus disc (in HD) will include a 70-minute exclusive roundtable discussion, hosted by Whoopi Goldberg, in which William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes share candid moments and intimate details about life on the set.

I need to see reviews of the video quality of these blu-rays before I drop any money on them. But thanks OP for the thread as I didn't realize that TOS season 1 is coming out on blu in a week and a half for $73 on Amazon. This is a must buy as it killed me to not buy the HD-DVD versions until I knew who was going to win the format war. They are putting both the original versions and "visually updated" versions on the discs and you can switch between both on the fly. Perfect way to get ready for the new movie... only 21 days left!!!

I'm really pumped to buy these Star Trek sets coming out! I must say, even though its kinda dumb, I want to see what these updated effects look like. Seems offensive to the original material though, so I'm glad you can switch on the fly. Original footage plus the original mono soundtrack! Woo!

Thanks for the answers everyone. That's a very thorough breakdown Filmmaker, just what I was looking for. So it looks like 1, 2, and 6 are incomplete, but 3, 4, and 5 have pretty much everything. I guess I'll wait for a later set, probably one that includes the newer films too. I just hope they don't remove anything by then.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']I just wasn't feeling 6 at all the night I saw it, or all the times I've tried since then. The zero G blood was cool, that was about it.

And thanks for the info about the theatre cut of Khan, that makes me sad. It's Terminator 2 on Bluray all over again. :([/QUOTE]

6 is a very literate film. There's a lot to appreciate there. But yeah the zero G blood was cool too.

[quote name='rickonker']Thanks for the answers everyone. That's a very thorough breakdown Filmmaker, just what I was looking for. So it looks like 1, 2, and 6 are incomplete, but 3, 4, and 5 have pretty much everything. I guess I'll wait for a later set, probably one that includes the newer films too. I just hope they don't remove anything by then.[/quote]
We'll probably see an 11-disc set appear on Blu-Ray by Christmas, so methinks I'll wait for that. I'd rather get the whole series in one package, especially if I can get Santa to pony up for it.

[quote name='Filmmaker']Then, assuming you could also live without STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE, you'd probably be more interested in this: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Pic...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1239971055&sr=1-2

[/QUOTE]

OMFG, that's so close to perfect it hurts! If part 2 was the Director's Cut, I'd preorder it this very second. I'm actually still very tempted, because I could very much live without the first movie.

Thanks so much for the heads up on that!

They're dropping the prices for the movie bundle and season 1 on Amazon...$80 for the movies and $65 for season 1.

Best Buy has season 1 at $65 and the movies for $100 but you save $15 if you order both online making them $57.50 and $92.50 respectively. If you do in store pickup, you can always cancel the movie bundle after you pick up season 1 this week and keep it for $57.50.

I ordered through BB because I can't wait for Amazon's free shipping which usually takes a week or two for me. That and I had a gift card!

13 days left til the movie!

Everyone knows that Paramount is holding back a LOT more than what we have seen over the years. There is a blooper reel from all the series, yet they choose to hold that back. I will be picking up this pack but kinda strange to find some of these to be the theatrical instead of the director's cut, considering there is enough room to put both movies on it.

[quote name='RaidenMGS3']Here's hoping they take a que from the Matrix Trilogy on Bluray and release the good movies separately in a few months.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I pay for anything containing Star Trek 5 and 6.[/quote]

they have a blu set coming out with just 2, 3 and 4... it's like "The Genesis pack" or something

[quote name='ITDEFX']Everyone knows that Paramount is holding back a LOT more than what we have seen over the years. There is a blooper reel from all the series, yet they choose to hold that back. I will be picking up this pack but kinda strange to find some of these to be the theatrical instead of the director's cut, considering there is enough room to put both movies on it.[/QUOTE]

While that would certainly work for Trek 2 and Trek 6.... it would be impossible to put both the theatrical and directors cut for TMP on one disc due to the amount of edits and what not done.

The movie bundle just dropped at BB.com to $93 and they still have the $15 off deal if you buy the movie bundle and season 1. Total for both is about $144.

[quote name='Vader582']Not bad. $93.99 is Amazon's current price.
The only bad thing about WM is not being able to cancel the order if you change your mind. You can always to a return though.
Thanks for the info!
344.jpg

Where to order from??? Decisions, decisions.[/quote]
Darn, so Walmarts cheaper.. If I go to walmarts actual store, will I be able to find this deal?

Best Buy has season 1 at $65 and the movies for $100 but you save $15 if you order both online making them $57.50 and $92.50 respectively.

But then tax basically renders that deal obsolete. Amazon is still the best way to go.

[quote name='Demolition Man']While that would certainly work for Trek 2 and Trek 6.... it would be impossible to put both the theatrical and directors cut for TMP on one disc due to the amount of edits and what not done.[/quote]

That's just not true - you can get radically different film cuts on a single Blu (e.g., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, King Kong, among others)

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']But then tax basically renders that deal obsolete. Amazon is still the best way to go.[/quote]

I'll pay tax and you'll wait two weeks for free shipping.

[quote name='BWOzar']That's just not true - you can get radically different film cuts on a single Blu (e.g., Close Encounters of the Third Kind, King Kong, among others)[/QUOTE]

Those cuts however are pretty minimal and easy to do seamless branching on. The first Star Trek on the other hand has many different edits done including new CGI and what not throughout the entire film. Personally I'd rather have that kind of edit on a seperate disc to maintain the best picture/sound quality if anything.

Just saw that the blu-ray motion picture collection for Star Trek is now only $69.99 at amazon for anyone interested.

I bought the trilogy (2-4) instead of the 6 pack. The video quality is questionable on 3 and 4, but the extras are substantial. Love those classic movies.

[quote name='eastx']I bought the trilogy (2-4) instead of the 6 pack. The video quality is questionable on 3 and 4, but the extras are substantial. Love those classic movies.[/QUOTE]

Same here, since Fry's had the BD trilogy for $27.99 this weekend. Just too good of a deal to pass up. I was tempted on the 6 movies since they had that for $59.99, but decided those three were the ones I wanted to see most anyway and already have a huge movie backlog.

bread's done
Back