Get back 400 MSP on Games for Windows purchase - first 2,500 only, ends 8/1

louiedog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
Microsoft has what is essentially a 400 msp rebate on Games for Windows purchases made between now and August 1. It's only good for the first 2,500 purchases made. The fine print only seems to indicate that you need to make a purchase, so games and DLC should both work. Points will be delivered as a code in 4-6 weeks.

link

I can't say for sure that it will work, but a few games (Dirt 3, Batman: AA, Bioshock 2, Battlestations Pacific) have $1.99 DLC packs. Based on the fine print on that page you could get $5 worth of points for $2. There's also a Dirt 3 pack that costs 80 msp but doesn't have a dollar price attached, so it may not be eligible. The wait and small savings probably make it not worth trying for most people.

And thanks to projectionist for reminding me of this. It's a good game and currently $7.49.
[quote name='projectionist']Section 8: Prejudice is the GFWL DotW: Here[/QUOTE]

And another thanks to asot for finding another good deal to use for this promo.
[quote name='asot']Another great deal for those considering a purchase is GTA3 which is currently $2.49 on the marketplace.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Grand-Theft-Auto-III/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80454540881[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Decker']I wonder if free DLC packs or games count as purchases. Because there are plenty of them. Just saying.[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought, so I immediately "bought" one, but I doubt it will work. If anyone else wants to give it a try I suggest Tinker. It's a free full game with 200 achievement points. I already had it so I did Game Room.

Also "bought" Tinker just on the off chance that it counts as a purchase.

Not seeing anything on there otherwise.

I bought a DiRT 3 DLC for 80 points. I feel like they're playing with the words "Games for Windows" and it's supposed to be either a) A Full Game or b) A Full [Games For Windows] Game

In which case, I hope my $1 went to a good cause

I was planning on grabbing Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 so this is as good an excuse as any. Can anyone confirm the deal works for DLC?

[quote name='mikespit1']I was planning on grabbing Minerva's Den for Bioshock 2 so this is as good an excuse as any. Can anyone confirm the deal works for DLC?[/QUOTE]

*Limited time offer good only to the first 2,500 legal residents of the 50 United States or Washington, D.C. 18+ who complete an online Games for Windows purchase between 12:01 A.M. PT on July 25, 2011, and 11:59 P.M. PT on August 1, 2011, or while supplies last. Limit one (1) gift per person.

It just says that you need to complete a purchase.

[quote name='dudejeff22']Bought some $1.99 Dirt 3 DLC.

When can I expect my 400 MSP?[/QUOTE]

As above:

[quote name='louiedog'] Points will be delivered as a code in 4-6 weeks.[/QUOTE]

A good deal for those who purchase GFW games

EDIT: you can purchase the Dirt 3 DLC for 160MSP. And you'll get 400MSP in return...not bad

Got the e-mail myself a few minutes ago. I played it safe by purchasing CarneyVale: Showtime as I've been eyeing that one anyway but I hope everyone else gets their points.

Got Section 8: Prejudice. Was considering it before but w/ the chance at getting 400 points back I couldn't pass it up. I hope I was in the first 2500 downloads.

[quote name='dumlaox']Got the e-mail myself a few minutes ago. I played it safe by purchasing CarneyVale: Showtime as I've been eyeing that one anyway but I hope everyone else gets their points.[/QUOTE]

Dunno if its exactly the same but that game is on Xbox Live Indie Games for 240($3).

[quote name='iRandom']A good deal for those who purchase GFW games

EDIT: you can purchase the Dirt 3 DLC for 160MSP. And you'll get 400MSP in return...not bad[/QUOTE]

I got Dirt 3 for free last week during the AMD promotion thing, it was a Steam key. The game has GFWL, and when I bought the DLC through the GFWL store it showed up in my Steam copy.

Sweet!

Woah, when was Minerva's Den released on PC? I wanted to buy that DLC for the longest time but didn't have the console versions.

[quote name='Xiemos']Woah, when was Minerva's Den released on PC? I wanted to buy that DLC for the longest time but didn't have the console versions.[/QUOTE]

I believe it finally released on May 31st.

Does this work with XBLA games or just Windows games? I might need to miss out on this if its the latter.

Will Minerva's Den work with my copy of Bioshock 2 if I bought it through Amazon's download service? It should right? This isn't like Steam where you have to have a copy purchased through GFWL is it?

[quote name='karyadi']Wizard's Keep and Miner's dig deep are really cheap, 80 points a piece.

EDIT: Does this work with XBLA games or just Windows games? I might need to miss out on this if its the latter.[/QUOTE]

Won't work for GFWL, plus these are from the same dev.. trying to trick people into sales?

[quote name='jcmproch']Won't work for GFWL, plus these are from the same dev.. trying to trick people into sales?[/QUOTE]

Didn't have time to read it fully, I thought xbox stuff counted. I just bit on GTA III, do they send a confirm email for qualifying? Anyone else get any info from it?

I got 160 microsoft points from right now, not sure if it's the same. Not sure I even got an email that implied the 400 ms points.

[quote name='TheDevo']Can anyone confirm if Tinker counts towards the deal?[/QUOTE]

Call Microsoft. There's no reason to believe that it does. No one is getting points for 5-7 weeks from today to be able to say for sure.

[quote name='louiedog']Call Microsoft. There's no reason to believe that it does. No one is getting points for 5-7 weeks from today to be able to say for sure.[/QUOTE]

No need to be so harsh.

When I first read people were receiving Emails I assumed it was a confirmation on the transaction. Now I realize they were talking about the offer, my bad.

[quote name='TheDevo']No need to be so harsh.

When I first read people were receiving Emails I assumed it was a confirmation on the transaction. Now I realize they were talking about the offer, my bad.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize I was being harsh. Seriously, calling MS is the only way to know.

You have to actually buy something to qualify, be quick about it too. I got Section 8: Prejudice as it is the DoTW and for the price it's great. By the way, section 8 prejudice is like a full retail game with 1000 gamerscore (pc version) and has plenty of support & all.

It's really on the fault of Microsoft for using the word "purchase" when referring to a free download. You can't be surprised people see it as a workaround.

[quote name='intoxicated662']You have to actually buy something to qualify, be quick about it too. I got Section 8: Prejudice as it is the DoTW and for the price it's great. By the way, section 8 prejudice is like a full retail game with 1000 gamerscore (pc version) and has plenty of support & all.[/QUOTE]

Happy to hear it has 1000 gamerscore. I bought it earlier today to try to get this deal and that certainly sweetens it!

[quote name='Vekou']I wish there was some way of knowing whether you're one of the first 2500 or not...[/QUOTE]

yep this is a gamble but atleast i got 160 for free from this. i still have no idea if i qualify.

[quote name='intoxicated662'] I got Section 8: Prejudice as it is the DoTW and for the price it's great. By the way, section 8 prejudice is like a full retail game with 1000 gamerscore (pc version) and has plenty of support & all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info. That was enough for me to bite.

Just checked and Section 8 Prejudice is actually more than 1000 gamerscore now, thanks to the dlc of course. Think it's like 1350 GS or so. Just played a quick game of Swarm and it was fun, well worth the price. Glad I held out and got the PC GFWL version instead. By the way, you can also use an Xbox 360 wired controller if you want to with the game.

bread's done
Back