Getting a GC! Now which Games?

keviningeorgia

CAGiversary!
I’m finally getting a GameCube to go right along side my Xbox. I found a place in town that has some MKDD Bundles and they are running a special where I also get a free Wireless Contoller (Pelican ) and StarFox Adventures.

On Xbox I've really enjoyed Fable,Sudeki, Timesplitters 2, Baldur's Gate, Crimson Skies.
Also I love the demo to Darkwatch.

On My GBA-SP I like Metorid Price Zero Mission, Harry Potter, WarioWare, Broken Sword.

Right now I’m looking at getting started with:
Metroid Prime
Tales of Symphonia
Animal Crossing
Smash Bros. Melee

So what are the must have CAG games to get??
What accessories should I get? (Controllers, Memory Cards, Etc)

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

[quote name='Masterkyo']Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle $10 at Ebgames (MSRP $30)[/QUOTE]
Where did you see it for $10?? it's not online at ebgames.com.. Is it $10 at the Eb Games B&M's?? I've got my Edge Card ready to go :)

you need to get a wavebird even if you got a free wireless controller. if you don't get any sports game a 251 memory card shold be fine.

also, where did you get that awesome deal? you're getting a lot of stuff for $99.

I would avoid FFCC unless you have friends with 3 more GBAs, plus 3 GBA to GC cables.

And yea, it should be $10 at B&M EBs.

As far as "Must haves" this gets asked pretty often in this forum, but my personal collection has seen

REmake
RE Zero
Resident Evil 4
Zelda Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
Eternal Darkness
FZero GX

etc....there is a pretty general consensus going around as to which are the better titles for the GC (most are first party).

The list you have to get started looks great, I would suggest poking around and seeing what other people suggest as well.

I'm more of a single player type guy but I've heard great things about Smash Brothers Melee..but I can't quite bite into the 29.99 price since I don't really multi for consoles.

As far as memory cards go--if you decide to pick up Animal Crossing (16.88 at Target this week) it comes with a 59'er--good enough for the game itself, and if you pick up a 251 you will be set for life...assuming you don't amass more than 10-15 GC games that have large save sizes. ToS requires I think 9 or so, but check the sticky on memory card requirements just to be sure.

Also--the Wavebird is great, if you don't miss the rumble feature.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle $10 at Ebgames (MSRP $30)[/QUOTE]

CC is horrible for single player, dont bother unless you have another person to play it with (requires GBAs and link cables).

I'm half tempted to pick one up just for Super Smash Brothers Melee. I can not believe nobody suggested that game. Yeah it sucks one player, but its greatest game in the world if you are a college student setting around with 3 or 4 friends and drinking beer. Best console multiplayer game ever.

Oh yeah I guess somebody did mention it SSBM. bah. go get it

[quote name='NoRain']I'm have tempted to pick one up just for Super Smash Brothers Melee. I can not believe nobody suggested that game. Yeah it sucks one player, but its greatest game in the world if you are a college student setting around with 3 or 4 friends and drinking beer. Best console multiplayer game ever.[/QUOTE]

Check out 3 posts above yours.

See what drinking beer does to you--destroys reading ability.

hahaha, j/k man but yea it's a great multiplayer game for sure.

Pretty much what everyone else has said, and double for Viewtiful Joe. I tell people all the time that I cannot find one thing about this game that isn't executed perfectly. You may also try out Eternal Darkness, and definitely Soul Calibur II. I find the GCN version to be the best.

[quote name='keviningeorgia']Where did you see it for $10?? it's not online at ebgames.com.. Is it $10 at the Eb Games B&M's?? I've got my Edge Card ready to go :)[/QUOTE]

That deal is dead.

you must pick up RE4, tales of symphonia, star fox adv. is good as well. Wind Waker is fun, second sight too, and also mario kart and wario ware.

[quote name='maxflight']Resident evil 4[/QUOTE]

Get it! Worth 49.99 easily.

My top 5 GC games:
1. RE4
2. Animal Crossing
3. Meroid Prime (series)
4. MGS: Twin Snakes
5. SSBM/Zelda: WW

Theres no way you can go without RE4 and AC. If you wait you may find RE4 cheap but GC games do tend to stay expensive for a LONG time. AC is also good for new GC buyers cause it comes with a memory card.

EDIT: I forgot Wind Waker this is a tough choice for the five spot so i'll leave it up to you about which to buy.

MGS: Twin SNakes was good. i think you can find it pretty cheap now.

Sory, didn't see above post.

RE4
Metroid Prime (Series)
Pikmin (Series)
Zelda WW, 4 swords and the new one
MGS: Twin Snakes
Eternal Darkness
Phantasy Stars Online
Animal Crossing
Tales of Symphonia
Soul Calibur II
SSBM
Viewtiful Joe
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
Super Monkey Ball (Series)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Ikaruga
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean

I think this includes most of the games I think worth playing. This list doesn't include sports games.

I agree with the others. Smash Bros and Animal Crossing are definite must-owns. Especially AC, my favorite game of all time. Also, I'm not sure if it's available for X-Box but, every gamer who likes classic arcade games should pick up Midway Arcade Treasures 2. For 20 bones, it's a tremendous deal!

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Resident Evil 4
Legend of Zelda Four Swords Adventures
Wario Ware Inc. (for multiplayer only)
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Tales of Symphonia

Those are the best exclusives IMO (and MKDD, but you already have that).

most games already mentioned

Pikmin 1 and 2 are really my faves
Rogue Squadron 2 is really cool

personally, I'm waiting on RE4 (and God of War and Doom 3 etc . . .) I have so many games on hand, there is no reason to pay full price

If you can get someone to honor the Gamestop ad misprint, Jungle Beat + bongos for $40 is worth it.

If you have the friends and controllers to play multiplayer, and have one GBA/link cable, and like Pac-Man, Pac-Man Vs. is excellent.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far..
Below is what I've picked up:
Animal Crossing
RE:0
Zelda Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
StarFox Adventures
Mario Kart Double Dash

I played Starfox, Metroid Prome and REZero last night..

Man I'm glad I got my cube, Nice graphics and the controllers are very nice.

I thought I had set something wrong at first when I started playing StarFox because I didn't know about the " Dino Language" so I reset the game, then finally look at the Instructions (Have to remind myself to RTFM) Then played Metroid Prime: Again very nice graphics and just a fun game to play
Mostly I played RE:0. Took me a while to get use to the controls but I REALLY like this game. Now I HAVE to get RE:4

Just picked up Viewtful Joe and MGS: Twin Snakes for $25 at my lunch break so will play those tonight.

Few questions:
Who has the Gameboy Player? Is it worth it? I'm not traveling a lot right now so my GBA games are sitting collecting dust.

I'm also musician so I'm intrigued by Donkey Konga and the Bongos: Are they worth it for mostly single player? What games can you use them on?

Thanks,
Kevin

I'd also like to recommend Pikmin 1/2... Pikmin was why I bought the Gamecube (along with SSBM and Super Monkey Ball), and I still consider it one of my favorite games. If you're concerned at all with it being too short, get Pikmin 2.

I'd recommend the Gameboy Player... a lot of GBA games look great on TV.

Donkey Konga seems more fun multiplayer. The bongos technically work for any game, but they're designed for Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat :)

The Game Boy Player is very nice. Pixel-perfect NES ports like Castlevania look just like you were playing a NES. Stuff that's been slightly downsampled from SNES onto GBA, like Mario Kart, look a little worse, depending on the size of your screen. The more graphically ambitious the GBA game is, the iffier it's likely to look blown up onto your TV. But the player itself is nice and you can get it for $30 a/c at EBGames.com.

Right now the point of the bongos is to be able to play Jungle Beat if you're playing single-player. Donkey Konga is not that much fun single-player, and while I haven't played it multiplayer, I would suspect that it's much more fun that way (although it requires multi sets of bongos ... first-party bongos are only $20 at CC). There's a turn-based strategy, um, pinball game coming out in the fall that's also supposed to take advantage of the bongos.

Welcome newest Cube owner :)

I got mine a few weeks ago and I'm loving it. As for what to get:

Resident Evil 0 (new game)
Resident Evil 1 (best remake out of all of them and its not rare)
Resident Evil 4
Zelda: Windwaker (I'm a die hard Zelda fan and I love this game)
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime Echoes
Eternal Darkness
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Smash Bros Melee
Pikmin 1 (so amazing, and addicting)

the only game I am sort of regretting is Mario Kart DD. Not as fun as the N64 or SNES versions but the switching drivers part makes for some interesting tactics

I'm surprised a bit at how few people (just 1, I think) mentioned Super Mario Sunshine. And in general, people on these types of sites seem disappointed by it. It was one of the first games I and my son played when we got the Cube. We both loved it, and he still plays it about once a week 1 1/2 years later. I haven't played it since we finished it, but before that I often stayed up after him and continued to play to get through some of the more difficult parts. We never were able to get all the shines, which is quite a challenge.

I had been out of console gaming since the Colecovision (except for a brief stint with an NES - didn't like it, went to computer gaming). When I put in Rogue Leader I was blown away - THIS is the game I wanted when I was a kid (and the original Star Wars movies were coming out). Since you have an Xbox the graphics probably won't blow you away quite so much, but for me that was amazing. I would also recommend the sequel, which gets a lot of hate for some reason. Yeah, the ground missions aren't so great (particularly the Luke/Yoda one which is pure annoyance) but the rest is pretty good. And you can get both pretty cheap now. The second has a full cooperative version of the first game, which is pretty fun too.

I'm almost done with Tales of Symphonia - an excellent game, just clear your schedule for a few weeks. My family also spent a lot of time on Animal Crossing, but that petered out after about 6 months - can't wait for the DS version though.

Another game my son really likes is Wario World - it is very short (compared to Mario Sunshine) and kind of a strange game but fun if you like beating on stuff - and it is another you can get pretty cheap (definitely worth $10 or so - but being a CAG, I wouldn't pay any more).

I have Baten Kaitos and will play that after Tales.

We finished Wind Waker but I was not all that impressed - like Mario much better if forced to pick between the two. Started playing both Pikmins but haven't finished either - they are fun though, just too many games right now! Paper Mario is an excellent game as well - we did finish that one.

I haven't played Starfox Adventures (though I have it) but Starfox Assault is pretty fun - short though, and probably not worth $50. I got it as a $30 Gamerush preorder. You have plenty of other games to go through first and then you can get it in a 2 for $30 deal when it becomes PC. I have been having a tougher time getting medals in Starfox Assault then I ever did in Rogue Squadron (and in parts the games are similar).

So, if I had to put together a MUST have list (counting some of the sequels together) for the Gamecube it would be, in no particular order:

- Animal Crossing
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 (and I'll include 3 here as well)
- Metroid Prime and Echoes (though I haven't gotten around to playing Echoes)
- Mario Kart
- Tales of Symphonia
- Pikmin 1/2

Note that I have less than zero interest in that whole Resident Evil thing and in FPS's, so my lists will never include those...

Other fun games that maybe aren't must haves: Mario Tennis, Starfox Assault, SSBM (meh, its OK, but I waited 1 year before getting it - note that besides ones with my son I don't do any multiplayer games - the following one excepted since my daughter will play also), Mario Party (any number - get what's cheapest - we have 4 and 6), Luigi's Mansion (again, one we played right away and liked - get cheap though), Wind Waker (sorry this is where I put it), Wario World, Viewtiful Joe (have played through 1/2 of #1, none of #2 - thanks to Kmart got both for less than $20 combined!), Mario Golf (I'm not into golf at all and not much into sports games but this is pretty fun along with the GBA version).

I'm sure there are others - of course I have left off the multi-platform titles that I have played like Burnout 2, etc, since you have an Xbox.

1. Resident Evil 4 (My fav. game this year, on any system!!!)
2. Eternal Darkness
3. Metroid Prime
4. Metal Gear
5. Tales of Symphonia

I'm going to go against the norm here and not suggest some of the above titles. I have had a GCN since the launch and I have lived without Animal Crossing or Eternal Darkness just fine. I have owned both at a time but frankly I thought Animal Crossing got really boring and ED was a bad RE, but to each his own. I would recommend RE4, MK:DD!, SSBM, ToS, Wind Waker, the Metroid Primes are pretty good, and Pikmin 2.

[quote name='keviningeorgia']Thanks for all the suggestions so far..
Below is what I've picked up:
Animal Crossing
RE:0
Zelda Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
StarFox Adventures
Mario Kart Double Dash

I played Starfox, Metroid Prome and REZero last night..

Man I'm glad I got my cube, Nice graphics and the controllers are very nice.

I thought I had set something wrong at first when I started playing StarFox because I didn't know about the " Dino Language" so I reset the game, then finally look at the Instructions (Have to remind myself to RTFM) Then played Metroid Prime: Again very nice graphics and just a fun game to play
Mostly I played RE:0. Took me a while to get use to the controls but I REALLY like this game. Now I HAVE to get RE:4

Just picked up Viewtful Joe and MGS: Twin Snakes for $25 at my lunch break so will play those tonight.

Few questions:
Who has the Gameboy Player? Is it worth it? I'm not traveling a lot right now so my GBA games are sitting collecting dust.

I'm also musician so I'm intrigued by Donkey Konga and the Bongos: Are they worth it for mostly single player? What games can you use them on?

Thanks,
Kevin[/QUOTE]

If you liked RE 0, definately check out "Resident Evil" it's the remake of Resident Evil 1 on the Playstation, but with better pretty much everything. Most people call it REmake. It's also 19.99 i believe.

And yes, Resident Evil 4 is alittle different than the other Resident Evils, but different in a good, refreshing, kick your ass kind of way! It's awesome.

if your Cube has a digital out port in the back, order a component cable and your games will look great; plus it'll also give you the option of utilizing the progressive scan feature found on many of the titles if your TV accepts the signal.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']if your Cube has a digital out port in the back, order a component cable and your games will look great; plus it'll also give you the option of utilizing the progressive scan feature found on many of the titles if your TV accepts the signal.[/QUOTE]

I've been meaning to get one of these. Any place other than Nintendo? They've been back ordered for months

Resident Evil 4 really is a no brainer.
The other Resident Evil games are pretty good also.

I would also reccomend Ikaruga, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, and Metroid Prime.

bread's done
Back