Getting a new 360 . Any backwards compatible Xbox games worth playing?

RCS0926

CAGiversary!
I owned a PS2 last gen and have had a PS3 and Wii this gen. I'm finally springing for a 360 next week, and although there are a ton of high quality 360 games that can be had for cheap, I was wondering if it's worth playing any old Xbox games. I'm interested more in the Xbox exclusives (games not on the PS2) although I know for sure that I'll be getting Burnout 3. Here's a list of titles that seem interesting:

Fable - Is it worth playing even with the lag issues?
Fable: Lost Chapters - Load times seem pretty bad.
Halo - probably should get updated version on 360 instead
Halo 2
Jade Empire
Kingdom Under Fire
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Psychonauts - multiplat but I know it was better on Xbox
Shenmue 2
Star Wars KOTR
Star Wars KOTR 2
Thief

I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me if these games still hold up today and are worth playing. I'd also appreciate any suggestions on games I may have missed. Thanks in advance.

A number of those games you listed in your OP can be played on PC, just an an alternative, since OG XBox BC can be a bit of an issue on some titles.

my recommendations are:
- SSX
- Tony Hawk sk8 boarding titles
- Dark Alliance (D&D)
- Jet Set Future Radio (or whatever it was called)
- and get Halo CEA, because you can switch between the reskinned versions.

yeah, KOTOR + on PC is a much better experience plus the graphics are better. there's probably a lot of mod fixes as well that might be worth looking into.

[quote name='100xp']make sure you get a 360 w/a HDD otherwise you won't be able to play old xbox titles.[/QUOTE]

I ordered an official 250GB HDD from Amazon yesterday.

[quote name='shrike4242']A number of those games you listed in your OP can be played on PC, just an an alternative, since OG XBox BC can be a bit of an issue on some titles.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm not a PC gamer.

[quote name='Solid Scarecrow']Crimson skies? One of my xbox favs[/QUOTE]

Does it still hold up today, or would I be better off playing the newer Ace Combats or IL-2?

I've wanted to play Fable:Lost Chapters, but I've heard it doesn't run well on the 360. You can get the original Fable (not lost chapters) from games on demand, but I want the full experience.

Also, does Republic Commando run on the 360? That was a great game.

I own and like:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 &2
Halo 1
Justice League Heroes
Punisher
Jade Empire
Fable: Lost Chapters
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Outside of the ones in the OP:

Crimson Skies
Darkwatch
Buffy
Baldur's Gate: DA I and II (if you can find them)
Conker Live and Reloaded
Max Payne 1 and 2
Burnout 3
SRS
Republic Commando

+1 to Jade Empire

Also, the Whole Tom Clancy Splinter Cell Series

If you want a game that is more realistic than COD, find Full Spectrum Warrior -- the military used to use it for training

It's a good list of games but if you're buying a 360 may as well take advantage of your modern hardware, unless you have a ton of free time.

Only things I can really recommend are psychonauts, because of its really great creativity, and maybe halo 2 eventually if you want to play through the whole series. The rest, they were good games to be sure but I'm not sure they were any better as a whole than some more recent titles like Alan wake, fable 3, mass effect, etc.

I recently tried playing an OG xbox game and I wanted to tear my eyes out. HD has spoiled me and although the games were great when they released, I can not enjoy them these day without getting a headache from squinting and trying to figure out what's happening.

bread's done
Back