Getting a new computer. Gaming questions.

asianxcore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
First off I don't know much about computers.

After 8+ years of being stubborn and sticking with the same computer, I'm getting a new one sent to me in a couple weeks.

I was wondering if I would need to get anything else for this computer to have it run PC games smoothly (or even to be able to run certain games). Games like Supreme Commander, Stalker, Hellgate London, etc.

Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion a6250t PC

- Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core processor E2180 (2.0GHz)
- 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
- 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT (DVI-I, TV-out, HDMI)
- 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN PCI Card
- 320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
- LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
- 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1394, 2 USB, audio
- ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
- Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports

you're going to definitely have to upgrade your video card, sorry to say. Try to get a Radeon HD 3850 or wait until the Geforce 8800GT 256MB comes out. Both should be less than $200

that 8500gt isn't going to make it too smooth.....
I plan on getting an 8800gt very soon
it wouldn't run crysis very well either (not that you brought it up, but I've got it and its amazing.)

otherwise good

so the only suggestion is to possibly pick up a new video card for it? everything else is fine?

is the processor speed alright or should I look to upgrade that as well?

The only other thing you should upgrade is the processor. The one you have (2.0ghz) is bottlenecking your video card and RAM. It would make the game stutter and have lower fps.

Get a new CPU and video card.

Asian wants to be cool!? Awesome. I'll recommend shit in a little bit when I'z got some time. I'm tempted to go to BB and buy shit now tho...

Edit: Oh wait, I can do this shit now: Upgrade dat video card. Best cost-efficient option is the 8800GT 512mb. It'll knock you flat on yo ass. That's the number one priority, but the secondary objective is to upgrade that processor. I dunno how much cash you got, but ideally, go with a Q6600. But the one thing that's gotta go is that video card, because it is crap.

[quote name='asianxcore']so the only suggestion is to possibly pick up a new video card for it? everything else is fine?

is the processor speed alright or should I look to upgrade that as well?[/QUOTE]

A faster processor might not be a bad idea. I would go for a better duo processor rather than a quad..but definitely upgrade that card. and I hear Hellgate is AIDS.

also, the 15-in-1 card reader won't cut it. you'll need at least 16-in-1. jk

For the processor, I'd say go with either the e6750 or wait for the new 45nm processors to come out. Also since it doesn't sound like you're building it yourself, maybe post up how much it is so we can tell you if it sounds reasonable.

[quote name='Chacrana']Asian wants to be cool!? Awesome. I'll recommend shit in a little bit when I'z got some time. I'm tempted to go to BB and buy shit now tho...
[/QUOTE]

Naw, just tired of my girlfriend (and her fancy computer) mocking my crap-tastic computer :)

[quote name='Aberforth']For the processor, I'd say go with either the e6750 or wait for the new 45nm processors to come out. Also since it doesn't sound like you're building it yourself, maybe post up how much it is so we can tell you if it sounds reasonable.[/QUOTE]

For the desktop I'm paying about $800+ shipping. For the processor and the new video card is it unrealistic/crazy to think I can get each one for $200-250 a piece. Are computer shows a joke in getting good deals nowadays? I remember my stepdad taking me to them as a kid and the deals being pretty good.

Everyones' suggestions are good, but sometimes you can't just say "upgrade the video card" without considering a few things first. Many new, large video cards won't even fit in some cases, especially if they are the compact kind from Dell or HP. Also, most 8500 GT's don't require the PCIe 6 pin power connector. This might mean there won't be the correct cable to power a new video card. Even if it is there, the power supply might not provide enough power for the new video card.

That machine should be able to play slightly older games at moderate resolutions just fine. Games like FEAR, Supreme Commander, Far Cry, Half-Life 2, etc. But once you start trying to play newer games like Stalker, Gears of War, and Call of Duty 4, you're going to have big problems. Even at lower settings. That's when you'll want a new graphics card.

I doubt that rig as listed can handle SupCom at any respectable graphics setting. The battles in that game are fucking huge.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Everyones' suggestions are good, but sometimes you can't just say "upgrade the video card" without considering a few things first. Many new, large video cards won't even fit in some cases, especially if they are the compact kind from Dell or HP. Also, most 8500 GT's don't require the PCIe 6 pin power connector. This might mean there won't be the correct cable to power a new video card. Even if it is there, the power supply might not provide enough power for the new video card.[/QUOTE]

good call...might have an incompatible/older mobo too, perhaps?

[quote name='asianxcore']Maybe I should re-think getting into PC gaming :)

Or at least hold off on it for a little bit.[/QUOTE]

there's no *right* time to get into it. it gets messy when you get a pre-built system then try to augment it. If you really want to get back into it, there's no better way to go than to build it yourself.

[quote name='Apossum']there's no *right* time to get into it. it gets messy when you get a pre-built system then try to augment it. If you really want to get back into it, there's no better way to go than to build it yourself.[/quote]

I concur. Also, in this case you'd be saving some bread building it yourself.

Also, if you're in the US, look at going through newegg.com, or if in Canada, build one out of parts from ncix.com (you pick the parts, they'll assemble and test it for only $25 - I can build my own, but I often tell them to do it because they handle all testing and even bundle up cables with zip ties and such). You'll get a wicked deal if you wait for a good sale, and you won't have to suffer through being tied to one of the big name manufacturers.

Pretty sure the OP lives in Asia, but I would also recommend zipzoomfly.com. I bought most of my parts for my new computer from them coz dem pricez is low.

Oh, and while we have probably scared away the Asian, building a computer and or finding shit to put in a computer isn't really that difficult. Why, yesterday, I riced out my friend's computer by throwing some neon lights in there... cept we keep the neon lights outside the case.

[quote name='Chacrana']Pretty sure the OP lives in Asia, but I would also recommend zipzoomfly.com. I bought most of my parts for my new computer from them coz dem pricez is low.

Oh, and while we have probably scared away the Asian, building a computer and or finding shit to put in a computer isn't really that difficult. Why, yesterday, I riced out my friend's computer by throwing some neon lights in there... cept we keep the neon lights outside the case.[/QUOTE]

I just wrapped mine in christmas lights. shit is pimp

[quote name='Apossum']I just wrapped mine in christmas lights. shit is pimp[/QUOTE]

I kinda want to ghetto mod my current POS computer. Like, I gotta get a shoe box and throw my shit in there. Or a espionage-esque aluminum briefcase.

[quote name='Chacrana']Pretty sure the OP lives in Asia, but I would also recommend zipzoomfly.com. I bought most of my parts for my new computer from them coz dem pricez is low.

Oh, and while we have probably scared away the Asian, building a computer and or finding shit to put in a computer isn't really that difficult. Why, yesterday, I riced out my friend's computer by throwing some neon lights in there... cept we keep the neon lights outside the case.[/QUOTE]

Vietnamzzzz.

You guys didn't scare me away. The thing is I know little to nothing about computers so all the lingo just goes over my head most of the time.

My step dad is a big tech-head, so he said he would help me figure out what I need when I fly to Michigan next month to visit.

Aright, that's legit. It'll be good for you to learn something about tech stuff. I hear the chicks put out when you OC your VGA. Everyone knows memory clocks < 2000MHz are for fags.

bread's done
Back