Getting a new PS3 need a little Q&A from the peanut gallery

Sporkis

Barley Legal
Feedback
77 (100%)
First if this is the wrong place for this question my apologies,

For certain reasons as of late I've finally decided to pick up a ps3. I decided to go for the 250gb model, the extra space and not having the hassle or replacing the hard drive for a larger one is worth the extra 50 bucks for me. But apparently to my surprise, that 'shortage' is still going around in my area. I only found one place within a hours drive that had the 250(which was bestbuy by the way) and I checked everywhere.

After 15 mintues trying to get someone to get one out of the cage for me. I asked the associate if it was one of the newer ones with the better chipset in it, which his reply was yes after checking the side of the box. Since it was the last place I checked, it had been a long day, and I was in a hurry I didn't check it myself. I just bought it and went. When I got home I checked the side of the box it found it wasn't one of the 2101 models but the previous 2001.

My question is this,should I return it and try to get a different one with the new chipset that was just release or is it really not worth the trouble and just keep the one I got?

Not worth the trouble. The newer ones run cooler, but the older ones don't really get that hot to begin with.

I agree that it's not worth the trouble. I've got the fat ps3 and even that is super quiet (compared to my 360) and doesn't get hot.

::throws peanuts::

do you have a frys nearby? it seems that theyre the most reliable place to get one of the newer ones. if you waited this long, i think you can wait some more. im sure you can return it to a closer bb. how long is the return policy? i wouldn't open it until after e3 since its only a few days away. there might be some news on the availibilty/shortage or news of a newer model.

[quote name='solidus_00']My question is this,should I return it and try to get a different one with the new chipset that was just release or is it really not worth the trouble and just keep the one I got?[/QUOTE]
Depends. I run mine 24/7 so waiting for the [marginally] smaller power draw was worth it for me. If you're just going to play it sporadically then you are absolutely fine with the 2001.

[quote name='enufs8d']
i wouldn't open it until after e3 since its only a few days away. there might be some news on the availibilty/shortage or news of a newer model.[/QUOTE]
I would be shocked and awed if a newer model of the PS3 was shown at E3. The 40nm model literally just put SONY back into profitability. I just can't imagine we'll see a new model so quickly. I remember that around the time of the Slim's release there was a lot of talk of other PS3 prototypes but after the PSP Go crashed and burned I'd be willing to bet SONY is just going to try and make it through the holidays unscathed. If anything we'll hear about Move bundles coming out at the end of the year.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Depends. I run mine 24/7 so waiting for the [marginally] smaller power draw was worth it for me. If you're just going to play it sporadically then you are absolutely fine with the 2001.

I would be shocked and awed if a newer model of the PS3 was shown at E3. The 40nm model literally just put SONY back into profitability. I just can't imagine we'll see a new model so quickly. I remember that around the time of the Slim's release there was a lot of talk of other PS3 prototypes but after the PSP Go crashed and burned I'd be willing to bet SONY is just going to try and make it through the holidays unscathed. If anything we'll hear about Move bundles coming out at the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

I think the previous post was referring to bundles with games or larger HDDs. When I got mine, I just missed out on the MGS4 bundle and would have loved getting an extra game at no additional cost.

As the poster mentioned, he is also not interested in upgrading the HDD so if a 320 or 500 (although it seems unlikely) is announced at E3 it might be worth waiting a week just to be sure.

In repsonse to the original post, I wouldnt wait just for the newer chipset, maybe for potential bundles announced at E3, but the current chipset already runs quiet and cool.

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I think the previous post was referring to bundles with games or larger HDDs. When I got mine, I just missed out on the MGS4 bundle and would have loved getting an extra game at no additional cost.[/QUOTE]
Hehehehe

Well color me fucked. Looks like I'll have to eat crow on this one.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Hehehehe

Well color me fucked. Looks like I'll have to eat crow on this one.[/QUOTE]

Haha, the HDMI cable is nice, although most CAGs know thats only worth about $5. I am surpirsed that bundle contains LBP. My girlfriend got that for her dad and he wouldnt stop making fun of it (ie calling it a kids game), then again he isnt the most open-minded individual either...

Personally, Id still wait. Given the rumored announcements for E3, you might get lucky with some kind of "prequel to the sequels bundle" with InFamous, KZ 2, GT5:p, Resistance 2 or some others in that vein.

Ill being buying a new ps3 soon but im gonna wait for E3 b4 i totally decide what Im gonna do.

Definitely learning what to look for, I think.

[quote name='enufs8d']::throws peanuts::

do you have a frys nearby? it seems that theyre the most reliable place to get one of the newer ones. if you waited this long, i think you can wait some more. im sure you can return it to a closer bb. how long is the return policy?[/QUOTE]

No frys unfortunately, and the bb I bought it from is the closet one. Drawbacks of the area which I call my humble abode. Except for two wally worlds you have to drive at least an hour to any retail store.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Depends. I run mine 24/7 so waiting for the [marginally] smaller power draw was worth it for me. If you're just going to play it sporadically then you are absolutely fine with the 2001.[/QUOTE]

Sporadically it is good sir. I only plan on using it for games. Plus I take good care of my systems. I've only had one xbox die on me. It was a 4 month after launch one and it lasted for 2 years 11 months, a month before warranty for red rings ran out on it. In the end only costed me 80 bucks to replace it with a new one.

I totally forgot about E3 coming up. But I can't imagine anything more than maybe a larger hard drive version or a bundle or two coming out of it. Granted while it's nice to get extra stuff for the same price, I don't care for the games that get bundle with them. Plus I already got 3 out of the 4 games I wanted for the system already.

Well from everyone's opinion I'm probably good with the 2001 chipset. As for E3 I may wait or not, dunno. I'll probably get sick of seeing the box sitting there and open it, then kick myself in the ass later. In other words business as usual.

Well thanks for the peanuts everyone. Love the cashew ones, and I didn't even have to dance this time.:lol:

bread's done
Back