Getting a Nintendo DS, have some questions

Archgarth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So, Metroid Prime Pinball (and the upcoming Mario Kart) finally made me bite the bullet and commit to buying a DS, but I have some questions before I make a purchase.

I know they sell screen protectors, but those are only for the top (non-touch) screen, correct? Has anbody had any experience with them?

How well does the DS touch screen hold up? Has anybody managed to scratch their's to hell? I know I should only use official Nintendo stylus's because they are easier on the touch screen, but what kind of life should I expect from the touch screen?

As of right now, I'm deciding between picking up the Nintendogs bundle at either Gamecrazy (I get 12 free rentals) or at Best Buy (that's only if I can find something like their GGC that will work on a system purchase) and I don't really think there will be anything during the black friday sales for the DS. Oh, and I know about the upcoming Mariokart bundle, but I don't want a red ds.

No the covers are for either screen, not just the top. I don't use one and my launch ds is virtually scratch free. i am anal about keeping it clean though.

Although, the covers are incredibly cheap, and are probably a good investment regardless. I'll let others suggest some.

There are screen protectors for both screens - and let me recommend recommend these:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-b7-70-ewm.html
The touch screen holds up pretty well, but it is VERY possible to make minute screen scratches if there are any specks of debris on your DS screen or your stylus. That's why I recommend putting on a screen protector as soon as you pop that baby open.

I've seen screen protectors are for both. Spend a couple bucks and get some protectors for the touch screen to ease your mind. My DS is unprotected and doesn't have so much as a scratch after heavy use.

The only models I see scratched are the ones at EB and target where little kids pound on it and dig into the screen like they are coloring with crayolas. You know when 5 years olds color with their whole fist? That scratched the DS's.

In the spirit of cheapness, you can also buy some screen protectors for a palm or other handheld and trim it to the size you want. Often those screens are bigger.

Oh, and Metroid Prime pinball ROCKS.

I also had the same concern when I bought my DS back in March.

I purchased a Pelican brand screen protector for the bottom (touch) screen the day I bought my system and it seems to have held up pretty well so far, even with the abuse I've put it thru in 'stylus-centric' games such as Trauma Center and Yoshi's T&G. I was really careful when I applied the protector, and made sure I centered it almost perfectly, smoothing it out to where there were no air bubbles caught inbetween.

My only complaint is that dust likes to settle in the grooves along the edges where the protector doesn't cover 100%, but this is quickly remedied with a good wipe-off using the little cleaning cloth that came with the DS.

There was also a top-screen protector in the Pelican bundle I purchased, but I never put it on, so my top screen is unprotected. However, I'm rather careful with handling my DS and always return it to its carrying case after playing.

I plan on replacing the bottom (touch) screen protector after the first of the year, but I'm a bit aprehensive about removing the one thats on it right now. I hope there is no sticky residue left behind when I peel it off. Anyone have any experience with removing their screen protectors?

i'd also like to know about the removal of the protectors... i've been hesitant to purchase the screen protectors for that reason... :\

[quote name='Dingleberry']you got a cleaning cloth with your DS?![/QUOTE]

I'm wondering this as well...

I haven't used a screen protector but I have noticed several hairline scratches on it. They are only noticeable when the DS is off though so it doesn't affect gameplay at all. I'll probably use one after I send it back to Nintendo for having a dead pixel and static from the speakers.

i just read the reviews of the screen protectors, and it looks like they are held by static, so they should not leave a residue if removed...

I was paranoid about scratching the screen after seeing all the demo units in stores, but it's still pristine after several months of "touching." And I don't use any protectors.

I got the Hori screen protectors from EB (comes with Top and Bottom protectors). I think it was 6.99. I put these one before I used my system for the first time, and my screens are still perfects after the 2 months I've had it. This is after beating mario with 150 stars, kirby with 100%, and now working on meteos...so, I would get the hori protectors.

bread's done
Back