Getting a Wii? Are you keeping your Gamecube?

Reality's Fringe;2203156 said:
I would if GS would offer a Deal like "Trade in your GC toward a Wii and get $70" or something. than again, I've got one of those cubes with a 480P jack, so I don't know.
Really wouldn't make sense considering they sell them used for $60.

As for me, I'm keeping mine, cause it'll be a long time before I purchase a Wii. Come to think it, have they even mentioned a slot for the Gamecube memory cards on the Wii?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Really wouldn't make sense considering they sell them used for $60.

As for me, I'm keeping mine, cause it'll be a long time before I purchase a Wii. Come to think it, have they even mentioned a slot for the Gamecube memory cards on the Wii?[/quote]Right next to the controller ports.

[quote name='banpeikun']i've got an orange gc with the component cables, so it's a keeper.[/quote]
That's awesome...I still wish they had released it in orange here...

I voted keep it, partly because of the GBP, and partly because I just tend not to sell anything back (games or systems). With very few (if any) exceptions, it just isn't worth it to me...

[quote name='daroga']I had hopes that the Wii would just be region free for Cube games when it was announced that the Wii was region free... and we all know how well that turned out. :([/quote]
Yeah, it seems that people will have to do some testing of the Wii when they get one to see what it can do since Nintendo hasn't gotten that specific about its capabilities.

That would be a neat idea, but I dont think so. I was thinking of keeping my ds lite white and painting the buttonts that blue so it matches the wii. Not the whole button, just the grey lines.

Yeah, I don't think so. But I think painting Gamecube controllers is supposed to be pretty easy. At least, I get that impression with all the custom painted controllers you see at Smash Brother tournaments.

Definitely keeping the 'Cube since I may not pick up a Wii for a little while. Hell, I might even be tempted to buy another 'Cube if the prices tumble below $50.

I'm keeping mine...got it at launch, still works like new, and I can just pass it on to a sibling or something...I'm not selling my 300 dollar system for 20 bucks!

I will be keeping my "limited edition" (ha!) platinum cube since I have the GB Player and the component cables. It was the first system I bought new with my own money so there is some nostalgia there also. It will be right there next to the NES, SNES, and N64... I can't break up the family.

I did trade in my second cube for $45 at EB though. I bought it used for $30 so I figured I'd get the most money out of it while I still could.

I guess I should mention I probably won't be getting a wii for another couple of years... Or until there's a killer game I must play. Or if CAG comes up with some fantastic deal where you can get one for $100.

Haven't read through the whole thread but I'm going to assume my answer is like many others - I have a GC with component cables, and I'm keeping it.

There are a number of reasons - the component-ready ones are hard to get ahold of (not to mention the damn cables), and the trade-in on a GC is horrendous.

I have a component A/V switcher so I can just add the Wii (and PS3 eventually) onto that with my GC and PS2. The main reason I'm keeping the GC is I don't plan to use the Wii for GC gaming - I'll just let the kids bang on the GC when they want to play GC games. I don't see the point of stressing the slot-loader of the Wii any more than necessary :D. Plus I don't really trust those things in terms of scratching/dust/etc... So until I get comfortable with it, at any rate, the GC will stay for GC games. I do have a GBA player too, but I've never opened it. But it becomes pointless if I get rid of the GC!

Plus, eventually we plan to turn an unused room into a home theater type setup. But yet I'd still like gaming on the main TV downstairs - so I can always keep the GC downstairs and the Wii upstairs, or something... Same thing with PS3/PS2.

I'm ebaying my component cables. I'll probably keep the GC as it's barely worth enough to sell.

I already pulled the GC from my audio rack and moved it to my computer room (hooked up with DC and PSone with a universal s-video cable to my PC via Gamebridge USB).

I'm for sure keeping mine, too many memories, plus its the one system that my two bros pitched in with me to get (even though only I play it), so its got lots o sentimental value :)

keeping it. mine's modded and i got the component cables and g-boy player. defintiely my favorite system.

EB/Gamestop is supposedly having the extra $20 trade in credit thing start again on the 16th. So that should bump it up to $45. So I may have to put it towards my wii.

I do have component and a gameboy player, but I haven't hooked up either. Haven't really touched my cube in awhile either.

Selling mine today for $60 with to shit games (pokemon channel and bloodrayne.) It will pay for my VC point cards. I would keep it for my imported games, but I only have one that I dont play that often so its not to important.

Both of my Cubes are region switch modded (with LED mod too), so I can't trade them in or put them up on eBay. Both also have Game Boy Players (in purple and platinum to match!). I'd trade one in if I could, but since I can't, I'm keeping it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm only keeping it until I know if the Freeloader works in the Wii or not for my import Cube games. If it does work, I'll sell it during a nice trade-in deal, otherwise, I'll wait until there's a solution to fix that problem.[/quote]The Free Loader will never work on the Wii because it needs a flip top to work. It's basically a Swap Disc that stops the disc from spinning and when you hit eject you can swap. So the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

Traded mine in at GS today. Got a wimpy 45$ + like 10% more with my Edge Card. I figure why keep it w/the Wii being backwards compatiple.
Good stuff!!!

Keepin' mine. I don't wanna part with one of my four GCN controllers to sell the system. Plus, I can always put the Wii in the living room and have the GCN in my bedroom.

So I've been thinking about it, and I think I'm leaning towards selling the little cube to fund accessories and games for the wii. I haven't bought it yet, but I figure I'll need the money for those expensive controllers. And since the Wii can do everything the GCN can, I figured now was the right time. So... how much do you guys think I can get for this stuff?

Platinum Gamecube w/ Digital Out complete with everything it came with on day one including box, manuals, controller, etc.
Gameboy Player w/ startup disc, case, and manual
Official Component Cables

Thanks for any input!

I'll most likely keep my Gamecube when I get a Wii. I've only had my GC for about a year, but I've never sold any of my game consoles except for the PSP.

I voted to keep mine back when this poll was started, but it is currently on eBay. I was keeping it for the GBA player but, truth be told, I never really use it. If the Wii wasn't backwards compatible I woulda kept it. As it is, I can probably get about $140-$170 for the 'cube, gba player, and broadband adapter so I'll put it towards my next 360.

I did it.
I traded my Gamecube in today. :(

I got $74 in credit though because the guy (from what I think) fucked up. I got the $20 extra for the trade in promo..and I also got a $29 overide, so hey.

$75 for a Gamecube is pretty awesome. It SUCKS that I have to use this at GS/EBgames.. but still.

if it weren't for the gba player, i'd ditch mine. i don't even own a gba, so it's my only means of playing that portion of my collection.

[quote name='AlienLX']Keeping.. I've never felt anything but regret for selling my systems in the past, so it's not going anywhere.[/quote]

I'm with you on that one. Plus how an I going to play my imports w/o it.

[quote name='Shmitty']if it weren't for the gba player, i'd ditch mine. i don't even own a gba, so it's my only means of playing that portion of my collection.[/QUOTE]

I own a DS and GBA but the GBA player is still invaluable to me when I don't feel like playing on a small screen. I'll be keeping my GC till they make a DS and GBA player for the Wii, which might never happen (although DS has a good chance with the touch screen?)

Like many others, I have the component video cables so I'm keeping mine as a backup machine. I don't have a Wii yet, I'll probably get one when SSBB comes out.

I would buy a wii if it came bundled with smash bros.
I am going to wait a few years for a price drop, or until a kickass game gets bundled with it.

I got $54 for my GCN and $69 for the GB Player. Not too bad considering I picked up both for $200. I left my SP on a plane about a year ago, so now all I have to play GB/GBC games on is the original GBA. The horror...

Not really keeping it but taking it to my parents' house so that my kids and my nieces will have something to play while they are there.

Keeping mine for the Bedroom, since I bougt so many cheap games during clearance I have a back catalog to keep me busy, when i don't want to be in the living room or get out of bed yet on an early weekend morning. On a side note after March upon beating God or War 2 and getting a second wii mote and buying Madden 07 on the Wii (figure hope it will be a 20 dollar game when 08 comes out, which should be around Ocotober I would bet), I may either sale my fat playstation 2 with HD advance or use it almost exclusively as a DVD player for the bedroom. Because after beating God of war 2 twice and they come out with a Guitar Hero for the Wii I will not have a reason to have PS2 even with HD advance. It has taken I guess almost 19 years (got my NES around 88~89) to figure out if It isn't gameing on PC and I want to get my moneys worth stay with nintendo besides the N64(never owned it) other consoles I always end up selling way before end of life or buying near end of life (didn't get a ps2 until around a year ago, bougth Sega Genesis rigtafter Sega CD came out) but had a gamecube for years, even though i had sold it once and regretted it and bought it again.

bread's done
Back