getting back into pc gaming

Caro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'll be honest it was the news of Diablo 3 :lol:

anyway so I'm building a computer and I had a question. Now I've bought a lot of the stuff used

110$ EVGA nForce 680i
35$ 2GB OCZ DDR2-800mhz SLI READY RAM
150$ ATI 4850 (I realize I won't be able to use 2x of them in crossfire, but one should be enough for the games I want to play at 1260x1024
(Using my old case and psu to save a bit of money for now.)

but I'm down to my cpu, there was a lot of reading about the merits of e8500 and q6600 before I came to my decision, spending 20$ more on a brand new q6600.

My question is this, how can I be sure about the overclockability? If it's B3 or G0 stepping?

Am I ok buying one new for 200$ or should I buy a used one that I know is G0?

I believe almost everyone who bought the Q6600 retail box at www.newegg.com have reported that they got the G0 stepping. So I would buy it from there. Also I would suggest you to get a better aftermarket CPU fan such as Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (temperature comparison here) that won't break your wallet and will allow you to overclock your Q6600 stably pass 3GHz.

Just be sure your current power supply is at least 500W (and decent brand too) to run the setup you have comfortably.

I have a 450w psu that came with the case :(

Just to be safe I'm selling the 4850, and I'm going to get an 8800GT since they are like 100$.

I'm probably going to run it stock for now, and upgrade the psu to 700w or something when I decide I want to overclock/Run two 8800GT's SLI/upgrade my RAM and videocard etc.

Not that I would ever want to dissuade someone from PC gaming, but if you are doing this primarily for D3, why not wait until 2010 for when it gets released? You'll probably have to upgrade once before then anyway.

Just make sure you pick up Titan Quest for $20 when you do build this. Its the next best thing to a new Diablo game.

Also you may want to pick up Hellgate. You can find it cheap. Sure, the company is in trouble and the reviews are mixed but if you are really a Diablo person, you'll find that Hellgate really is Diablo 3 (it's made by the people who developed Diablo).

[quote name='Sideswiper']you'll find that Hellgate really is Diablo 3 (it's made by the people who developed Diablo).[/quote]No it's not. Diablo 3 is Diablo 3. Actually Mythos was more fun (developed by the same team) before they closed up shop.

[quote name='Sideswiper']you'll find that Hellgate really is Diablo 3 (it's made by the people who developed Diablo).[/QUOTE]Oh no you didn't...

[quote name='eswat']Oh no you didn't...[/quote]

Oh yes I did.

Hellgate is Diablo 3. The only reason it isn't is that the developers don't have the legal right to slap Diablo on things because they don't work for Blizzard anymore. It is an inventory management game, with a small side of clicking things until they die.

"Diablo 3" is a spiritual successor to the Diablo series made by well meaning people who like color. It will also feature an interesting inventory management system with click based combat.

bread's done
Back