Getting Rid of DVDs

aardvarkgod

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So, I have a few bins of DVDs that I no longer need (I typically don't intentionally watch movies over and over again).  I know in the past certain stores like Best Buy have had trade-in specials, but I was wondering what the best way to off-load a mess load of DVDs would be.  I realise I probably wouldn't get much per each as they are just DVDs (opposed to BluRay), but any suggestion is welcome.

Those Best Buy upgrade and save promos they've been having ever 3 or so months are the best I found--assuming you don't mind getting Blurays (and spending some more).

The $5 coupon good toward any Bluray $9.99 and up is about the best you can hope to do--most DVDs aren't going to sell for $5 a piece.

The other option would be to try to sell them in bulk on eBay or Craigslist.  You'll get rid of them faster and probably make a bit more selling them all together (or in bunches of 10 or 20 or whatever) than trying to sell them individually.

Personally, I just used the upgrade and save promo.  And before that I gave away ones to friends and family that I thought they'd like. 

I still have 150+ DVDs, but I think I"m pretty much done ditching/upgrading to blu and fine just having those films/shows on DVD as they're all things I don't watch all that much and/or don't need to be in HD really (character dramas, comedies etc.).

As a last resort, you could trade them in to Amazon. They'd probably only give you a few cents per disc, but if you're just looking to get rid of them, a couple bucks might be better than nothing. And it's zero hassle compared to what you might have to deal with on eBay or Craigslist.

Fyi: you going get a tax deduction if you itemize your tax return. Just a little note to our younger audience that may not fully understand this.

Donate them to a local library/community organization and try to get a tax break?
Even if he has an entire Wal-Mart $5 bin worth he's not going to get much. I don't see why people tend to think just because you donate and get a slip you're going to make out big on a write off. No joke he might be lucky if he gets 10 or 15 bucks for his lot ASSUMING he has dozens. Not worth it unless you just want to be a good samaritan as the write off won't even be worth calculating.

Best Buy's trade in program is only worth it if you want Blu-Rays since you get 5 off 10+ BRs. WB used to do something like this too, they might still do it, might want to search 'wb dvd to blu' and see if the site pops up.

You can eBay or craiglist them. If you do eBay I advise selling the entire thing as with all of their recent fees you won't make a dime trying to sell individually since people won't bite on used DVDs unless they're dirt cheap and by the time you pay your fees and ship it you'll be lucky to have even a dollar. craigslist you can list your lot with prices or try to sell all at once; might be easier to list prices and a buy it all price that's discounted just to get rid of them in one sweep.

These days I highly recommend Facebook if you use it as chances are your community has a Trade/Buy/Sell group where people post their junk they are seeking, trading for, or selling. Very convienent if you don't like craigslist as like it there are no fees since you are just making plans to meet with people and doing the exchange. These are getting more populaar these days (my area has 3 different ones and it's just a small area) and it's a great way to unload anything you have without relying on the big sites.

Last option that's not preferable is using Amazon or other sites to trade in your movies for credit or cash. Amazon used to be decent with their offers until they realized they were the only ones online that were being good with that while the rest got away with shit offers so now they do the same. Some sites offer cash instead of money but 9/10 they require you to pay shipping so it usually negates whatever money you are to gain. If you insist on this package your movies up and get a quote from your post office (I'm on the East Coast so I just ask what it would be to LA) to get a rough idea of what you'd you be paying so you can make an educated decision whether to take the money or not.

bread's done
Back