Getting rid of home phone?

Dr.Zoidberg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey all. I have had my home phone number for a lot of years (15 or so) and I want to keep it but quit paying the $35 home phone charge. I know lots of people have just cut the home phone but I give the number to all businessess and other people. Only friends and family have my cell so I don't want to give cell out that much. Both numbers are on the no call list but I still get a lot of bs calls. I thought about magic jack but last time I checked, they weren't porting home numbers. Thx for any ideas.

Which cell carrier do you have? Verizon has a voip type deal with free equipment for $19.99 per month. Other carriers have similar options. Also, lookup magic jack.

I use skype. It costs me $30 a year to have a number that people can call in to, and $2.95 a month to dial out to anyone in the US (unlimited).

$35?! That's good money yo. Get rid of it and buy a prepaid cell phone or do any of the other options posted. I have prepaid tmobile. Can't really understand how people have home lines but it hardly gets any use.

I just got rid of my home phone, picked up a google voice number and bought an Obi110 which hooks up to your router, i hooked my obi wifi through a trednet tew-647ga but you can use any wifi adapter, with the obi you can connect to google chat through a regular phone, the obi was $50 on Amazon, trendnet was $25 on ebay, google chat was free, and now i have a home phone with no monthly fee. It doesn't have e911 service but you can sign up for that service for around $2 a month, check the obi forums for info on that www.obitalk.com

Just looked up magic jack and you can now transfer your number. If you were thinking about it in the past you might want to look back into it.

I've been cell phone only since 2005.

Don't even need a lot of minutes as long as mostmof your friends and family are on the same network as then you get the unlimited in-network calling.

I use skype some too, but just computer to computer. I haven't paid for a skype number or called a phone number from it etc.

Dropped long distance service and international a few years ago, now its just local. Use my cell for all those other calls.

If you've got internet and a router, I highly recommend Ooma.

You can keep your number - transferred to Ooma for free if you get Premier for a year, or you can just go the 'free' route and pay a one-time transfer charge. Includes domestic long distance at no charge, and you can get some pretty great rates on international, though not necessarily better than a good international cell plan.

We've had it for years and it's totally replaced the home line. On the free line, you get call waiting, voicemail, etc., and can access your account through the website as well. Might be worth a peek.

Since electricity is included in my rent, I use the magicjack. It has e911 service and its own number. I work for the local cable company that provides phone service too and would have to pay $20 a month for just local calling versus paying $20 for everything for a whole year. I chose wisely.

bread's done
Back