GGT 185 gives bad tips

[quote name='panzerfaust']What's a good name for an indie game review column?

ihadfg?[/QUOTE]

How about "Hipster BS"?

I'd also suggest, "2D Platformers 4 Lyfe", "JRPG Orgasm", or "I Heart Jonathan Blow".

When did homosexuality and sexism become hot topics in games? I'm talking mainly about people who get offended by this stuff in games. Guess what? They're fucking games, who cares, just enjoy them. Not every fucking thing needs to be fucking politically correct.

[quote name='distgfx']Josh is too busy getting some.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for truth. Can't wait to see his baby.

Color me shocked that Josh will beat Joel in reproducing. . .

[quote name='panzerfaust']DoA5 will have improved breast physics the industry is fine distgfx[/QUOTE]

Going to preorder two copies now.

[quote name='distgfx']When did homosexuality and sexism become hot topics in games? I'm talking mainly about people who get offended by this stuff in games. Guess what? They're fucking games, who cares, just enjoy them. Not every fucking thing needs to be fucking politically correct.[/QUOTE]

I don't know and it's fucking annoying in both directions.

If a company includes gay sex in their game, church people get all furious about it.

If a company doesn't include ugly girls or gay sex in their game, homos and ugly people get all furious about it.

Everyone shut the fuck up and don't play games you don't like. fucking retards.

[quote name='Halo05']If a company doesn't include ugly girls or gay sex in their game, homos and ugly people get all furious about it.[/QUOTE]
Then they go and make giant pink triangles on the hills of San Francisco...

I don't believe in giant displays of cloth ideals unless it's Mel Gibson running up the hill to rally the troops.

Just did the 2 hour playthrough of Dear Esther. Surprisingly unimpressed.

I mean, if some of you thought Braid was pretentious, you should really check out this one. Puts Jonathan Blow to shame.

[quote name='BlueScrote']Ico & Sotc collection for $20? :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with you! Get on that, fool. :cool:

[quote name='panzerfaust']Just did the 2 hour playthrough of Dear Esther. Surprisingly unimpressed.

I mean, if some of you thought Braid was pretentious, you should really check out this one. Puts Jonathan Blow to shame.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt it. That's practically impossible. Besides, from what I know of Dear Esther, it at least comes out and says "I'm doing something different, I'm not really a standard game.".

[quote name='distgfx']When did homosexuality and sexism become hot topics in games? I'm talking mainly about people who get offended by this stuff in games. Guess what? They're fucking games, who cares, just enjoy them. Not every fucking thing needs to be fucking politically correct.[/QUOTE]
Ever since playing 3rd strike I've always wondered what team makoto plays for

[quote name='corrosivefrost']
I highly doubt it. That's practically impossible. Besides, from what I know of Dear Esther, it at least comes out and says "I'm doing something different, I'm not really a standard game.".[/QUOTE]

"I'm doing something different, and not terribly well." It doesn't get off the hook for being original.

[quote name='Halo05']I don't know and it's fucking annoying in both directions.

If a company includes gay sex in their game, church people get all furious about it.

If a company doesn't include gay sex in their game, homos get all furious about it.

Everyone shut the fuck up and don't play games you don't like. fucking retards.[/QUOTE]

I can honestly say as a member of the LGBT community that I don't think I've ever had a friend who is LGBT or supportive of them become "furious" that gay sex wasn't included in a game. I think it's cool when a company is willing to include a character with different sexuality, and that preference need not be shown as a sexual relationship either. I'm not going to get mad if it isn't included in a game, I know the target audience for most video games, but I'm pleasantly surprised when they do include it.

I don't really even see why this bugs you any more than anything else about games that people bitch a lot about. I think the ending to Mass Effect 3 has seen more bitching and moaning then any discussions of sexism or homosexuality in games I've ever heard. Heck Uraizen who started this discussion complains about almost any discussion about RPG games. Gamers are always going to find something to complain about, it's up to you to learn to ignore topics and arguments you don't care about

^^ Spoilers

[quote name='GUNNM']Ever since playing 3rd strike I've always wondered what team makoto plays for[/QUOTE]
I think Makoto swings both ways

[quote name='panzerfaust']Just did the 2 hour playthrough of Dear Esther. Surprisingly unimpressed.

I mean, if some of you thought Braid was pretentious, you should really check out this one. Puts Jonathan Blow to shame.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I didn't think it was bad, but I was also unimpressed. It was actually pretty ordinary.

I highly doubt it. That's practically impossible. Besides, from what I know of Dear Esther, it at least comes out and says "I'm doing something different, I'm not really a standard game.".[/QUOTE]

Except Dear Esther isn't really something new or original. It was very standard as far as art games go. There have been other games that have done the whole "walking" thing much better. And most of them don't have the same air of feigned intellectualism that Dear Ether does.

And I know how you feel about Braid, but the beauty of the game is that it takes a somewhat traditional game formula and turns it into something more. To me, pretentious means acting on the surface like you are doing something greater than you really are. Now Braid may have the same surface level artsiness, but unlike Dear Esther, it has a lot of interwoven narrative/game design depth to back it up. You may not see it, but there's a reason why Braid sparked so much discussion among indie game people whereas so many other games haven't.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']^^ Spoilers[/QUOTE]

tumblr_m60w8xKe6g1qkuwes.jpg

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I think Makoto swings both ways[/QUOTE]

Probably.

[quote name='GUNNM']Was expecting a sonic boom soundclip when gustavo raised his arms up like a baws[/QUOTE]
I know, right? Still super goddamned epic, though.

-----------------
Skullgirls worth it for $11, guys? Will we ever play it?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I know, right? Still super goddamned epic, though.

-----------------
Skullgirls worth it for $11, guys? Will we ever play it?[/QUOTE]

I liked it.

[quote name='panzerfaust']DoA5 will have improved breast physics the industry is fine distgfx[/QUOTE]

This is worth repeating.

Again.

[quote name='Indignate']I haven't seen that yet, but I fuckin love every scene with Gus.[/QUOTE]
Literally everything he does in Season 4 is perfect.

-----------------

I dunno, you guys tell me.

EDIT: Not j-cart, only people who had nothing to do with the game!

-----------------

I'll grab it. We can play sometime, captain. Icebeezy and Bluescrote have it too.

[quote name='ihadFG']
Except Dear Esther isn't really something new or original. It was very standard as far as art games go. There have been other games that have done the whole "walking" thing much better. And most of them don't have the same air of feigned intellectualism that Dear Ether does.

And I know how you feel about Braid, but the beauty of the game is that it takes a somewhat traditional game formula and turns it into something more. To me, pretentious means acting on the surface like you are doing something greater than you really are. Now Braid may have the same surface level artsiness, but unlike Dear Esther, it has a lot of interwoven narrative/game design depth to back it up. You may not see it, but there's a reason why Braid sparked so much discussion among indie game people whereas so many other games haven't.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not to indie-philes like you. But it was the first "game" I'd heard of where there wasn't really a game. Kind of like Myst but with no puzzles is the impression I got... which is why I didn't bother to buy and/or play it.

Anyway...
1: characterized by pretension: as
a : making usually unjustified or excessive claims (as of value or standing)
b : expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth, or stature
2: making demands on one's skill, ability, or means : ambitious

I'm not sure if the media heaped any sort of undeserved critical praise on Dear Esther, but I know they did with Braid. And yeah, maybe Braid was overly ambitious, so maybe definition 2 sort of applies from Blow's point of view. Not sure 2 would apply to Dear Esther either.
So yeah, the way I read those, and the things I know about these two games says one fits and the other really doesn't. Then again, you need to take note that this is the point of view of a "hardcore" gamer and not someone who is hugely into the indie gaming scene or the information and buzz within it. But from an average user who had no idea who Johnathan Blow was before MS published and hyped up Braid in the Summer of Arcade? Yeah, I think the above is rather appropriate... ;)

I'm not sure if the media heaped any sort of undeserved critical praise on Dear Esther, but I know they did with Braid. And yeah, maybe Braid was overly ambitious, so maybe definition 2 sort of applies from Blow's point of view. Not sure 2 would apply to Dear Esther either.
So yeah, the way I read those, and the things I know about these two games says one fits and the other really doesn't. Then again, you need to take note that this is the point of view of a "hardcore" gamer and not someone who is hugely into the indie gaming scene or the information and buzz within it. But from an average user who had no idea who Johnathan Blow was before MS published and hyped up Braid in the Summer of Arcade? Yeah, I think the above is rather appropriate... ;)[/QUOTE]

It doesn't really make sense to measure a game's pretentiousness by how much media attention it gets. I'm not really interested in getting into a semantics discussion, but I do think if you are going to call a game pretentious, then that should describe the game itself and not the hype heaped onto it by others.

For me, a game is pretentious when the game itself puts forth the sense that it is important when it doesn't actually have the depth to match that. I guess the way I would measure it is the ratio of surface level artiness to actual substance.

[quote name='GUNNM']So blown away by its epicness you had to stop?[/QUOTE]

If by epicness you mean
boringness
then yes.

I'm assuming like most shows it takes a few episodes to get you hooked, but that first episode was a hard watch.

bread's done
Back