GGT #39: Other G

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='distgfx']
It made me second guess my pre-order, it's good but... $60 good?[/QUOTE]

Fun game mechanics that seemed well above average and that probably have more depth than I can tell right now, fun firefight, fun boss fight, a bunch of difficulties, and knowing platinum/shinji mikami, there'll be all kinds of secrets and maybe some good non-campaign score attack mode like Mercenaries. Based on the demo alone, I'll probably like it more than Gears, which is my current high water mark for TPS...and I pay $60 for the campaign in that series so...

Seems well worth $60 to me. but I guess my caveat is that I don't play online multiplayer and no offline MP is not a deal breaker either.

Whaa? I thought the Vanquish demo was pretty weak. I mean, it's a competent Gears clone... but I don't see where it does anything particularly creative... and the combat wasn't that exciting either. There's nothing visceral about it -- killing a bro isn't very satisfying. Maybe it's the lack of arterial spray. I was really hoping the boss fight would be where it all comes together, but that was pretty mediocre, too. I dunno... I guess I was hoping for something like Gears meets Sin & Punishment, but this is basically just more yellow people making white people games, and doing a poor job.

I'm guessing it'll have a 70% review average.

this is basically just more yellow people making white people games, and doing a poor job.

:lol:

I really like the boost mechanic. and I'm trying to figure out what the deal is with that Witch Time shit. Gotta play it a few more times to figure out what all is going on, but my initial impression is that it kicks ass. I will agree that I wasn't feeling the impact of killing dudes-- it was like "hold the button, watch the two meters go down and hope you don't run out of bullets before the guy dies." But then I was boosting all over, throwing grenades, and being a ninja and shit felt right.

fuckkkkkk gotta stop procrastinating...see captain joel, getting ahead in reading is dangerous!

Urgh, still at work, but wanna try them demos out. I gotta know soon if I should cancel my Vanquish order.

I'm thinking I should anyway 'cause I'm pretty sure this game is going to fail in sales like Bayonetta did and will hit the bargain bin sooner rather than later.

[quote name='ninja dog']Fun game mechanics that seemed well above average and that probably have more depth than I can tell right now, fun firefight, fun boss fight, a bunch of difficulties, and knowing platinum/shinji mikami, there'll be all kinds of secrets and maybe some good non-campaign score attack mode like Mercenaries. Based on the demo alone, I'll probably like it more than Gears, which is my current high water mark for TPS...and I pay $60 for the campaign in that series so...

Seems well worth $60 to me. but I guess my caveat is that I don't play online multiplayer and no offline MP is not a deal breaker either.[/QUOTE]

I just want more variety overall, they probably should have pulled a Bayonetta and included another completely different stage too. Nothing about the demo screamed "MUST HAVE!" to me. I'll wait for a GT review so I can see all the shit the game has to offer. Don't give a damn about their opinion, just wanna see more of what's in it.

[quote name='Chacrana']I think I really just wanna play Bayonetta again.[/QUOTE]

Already on Chapter 10 in my 4th play through. :cool:

well, variety isn't one of Bayonetta's strong points. When it strays from killing dudes with hand-to-hand combat, shit sucks (Angel Attack, motorcycle, flying stage, QTEs from hell, bad platforming, etc.)

More environment variety and maybe some clever/simple use of boosting and doge mechanics would be welcome for sure though. I just want stuff that won't make me groan out loud on my 3rd, 4th, 5th playthroughs.

[quote name='ninja dog']well, variety isn't one of Bayonetta's strong points. When it strays from killing dudes with hand-to-hand combat, shit sucks (Angel Attack, motorcycle, flying stage, QTEs from hell, bad platforming, etc.)

More environment variety and maybe some clever/simple use of boosting and doge mechanics would be welcome for sure though. I just want stuff that won't make me groan out loud on my 3rd, 4th, 5th playthroughs.[/QUOTE]

HEY! Hey... Hey... Hey... I liked the motorcycle.

well, the worst part of that stage is definitely the fight with cars driving by (just another moment to make the game's scoring system basically invalid)...but the motorcycle overstays its welcome.

[quote name='jer7583']Hey whoknows does your 360 s get somewhat warm by the fan vent? I think it's probably normal since it's getting all the heat out and it doesn't get warm anywhere else, I was just surprised by how much heat it kicks out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does. I just assumed it was normal so I haven't really thought too much about it...

[quote name='Halo05']Got through it. Almost sent the controller out the fucking window after the 10th or 12th death but thank god that's over. Pro-tip - Mass Effect 2 is a wonderful game but you really don't need to play it on insanity to prove how big your balls are.

I imported people from ME1 so maybe that's why I could jump right to insanity. I wish it hadn't let me, it should've noticed that my ME1 save was from 2007. Not exactly super-polished at the beginning.[/QUOTE]

I only did the insanity run because my OCD was pissed I was missing a single achievement.

[quote name='distgfx']I just want more variety overall, they probably should have pulled a Bayonetta and included another completely different stage too. Nothing about the demo screamed "MUST HAVE!" to me. I'll wait for a GT review so I can see all the shit the game has to offer. Don't give a damn about their opinion, just wanna see more of what's in it.

Already on Chapter 10 in my 4th play through. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Chapter 10 kills me. It just sucks the life right out of me. I manage to off the boss in 11, then I have to put it down for awhile. Unfortunately for Bayonetta, I picked up DR2:C0 and have been playing that when I can now.

I think I'll pick up Other M sometime soon... seems like the actual game is really quite good, even if it's a dramatic departure from past games.

I'll probably buy it this weekend and then play through it next weekend. Cuz I'm trying to be good at sckools. Or at least keep my "schedule" clear until I have an idea of what my workload's like.

Have you started school yet? Are you at Madison?

It's definitely a dramatic departure. More streamlined. I hope they make a sequel and make it a bit more open-world like other metroid games.

I started school yesterday after a fuckin' week of orientation. I'm at WashU.

I know they're trying not to rape us starting out, so the workload hasn't been bad at all so far. The issue isn't so much the number of pages we need to get through as it is understanding that shit well enough to discuss it without sounding like a 'tard. But looking at the syllabuses that I have so far, the sheer quantity of reading doesn't seem that bad. I've got good time management skillz and a good work ethic despite how I act on forums, so hopefully keeping up won't be too much of an issue.

Eh, I'm not a fan of Vanquish. It's way Japanese and way cliche - redundant. Especially after you have an epic battle and all you are greeted to is, "COMPLETE MISSION SCREEN". Bleh.

[quote name='Chacrana']I started school yesterday after a fuckin' week of orientation. I'm at WashU.[/QUOTE]
washu.jpg

[quote name='ninja dog']Other M is Team Ninja's best game since NGBlack!

fuck the haters! It is easy as hell though.[/QUOTE]

It's good, but that good? Naw. It's very polished though and way better than most action/adventure games, I'll give it that.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Now have Team Ninja make the successor to Legend of Zelda 2.[/QUOTE]
Adventure of Link? Team Ninja certainly couldn't make it any worse than it already is.

lulz reading the vanquish thread on gaf

you really stirred up the hive, bear. I could see how they could disagree with your points.

Don't you EVER

TALK ABOUT JAPAN

LIKE THAT AGAIN!!!!!

I love you gaf and your anime pedophile statues

Lol. I can totally accept/understand liking the game. It definitely has it's audience, but holy crap some of them... "HOLYYY SHITTTTTT YOU CAN RELOAD WHILE MOVING!!! WHATTTT!?!! GOTY!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF". Really?

"SOOO MANY MISSLES! OMG! DOUBLE RAINBOW! AHHHHH"

Hard Mode in Other M unlocked. I really like this game, as I do all Metroid games (Hunters/Pinball don't count). But man, the ending of the game...man, that's how game endings should be. I'm torn if I like this ending or the ending of Super Metroid more.

Dead Rising 2 is gonna suck ass. No thanks, bro.

Also, it sucks that whoknows has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space, because I have some sweet Sonic 2006 OST remixes I wanted to share with him and only him. :cry:

I liked both the vanquish demo and the case zero demo.

However vanquish will need to demonstrate a great deal of variety to sell me on a $60 purchase.

If that game is 12 hours of blowing away enemies with no AI and bosses with glowing weak points and life meters I will probably wait for a price drop.

If they give you lots of sweet abilities and consistently challenging enemies to keep the combat fresh, along with fun environments and impressive setpeices, I'm in.

All the whiskey media sites are so awesome. Just recently started visiting screened and tested. Don't care about comics or anime though.

I like Case Zero quite a bit... only need 1 more achievement. Gotta check out 'dat Vanquish demo. Does it have a parry function? Because a TPS with boost + parry would be great.

I always wanted a run 'n gun style game with a Street Fighter 3 styled parrying mechanic (tap forward to parry a bullet). I think that would be pretty freakin' great.... maybe someday. Truth be told, I kinda think every game would be better with a SF3 styled parry mechanic (or a button, ala Battle Fantasia, depending on what works within the context of the game).

[quote name='jer7583']I liked both the vanquish demo and the case zero demo.

However vanquish will need to demonstrate a great deal of variety to sell me on a $60 purchase.

If that game is 12 hours of blowing away enemies with no AI and bosses with glowing weak points and life meters I will probably wait for a price drop.

If they give you lots of sweet abilities and consistently challenging enemies to keep the combat fresh, along with fun environments and impressive setpeices, I'm in.
[/QUOTE]
Same here.

[quote name='KingBroly']Hard Mode in Other M unlocked. I really like this game, as I do all Metroid games (Hunters/Pinball don't count). But man, the ending of the game...man, that's how game endings should be. I'm torn if I like this ending or the ending of Super Metroid more.[/QUOTE]

Pinball was the best Metroid game since Metroid Prime.

[quote name='Chacrana']I started school yesterday after a fuckin' week of orientation. I'm at WashU.

I know they're trying not to rape us starting out, so the workload hasn't been bad at all so far. The issue isn't so much the number of pages we need to get through as it is understanding that shit well enough to discuss it without sounding like a 'tard. But looking at the syllabuses that I have so far, the sheer quantity of reading doesn't seem that bad. I've got good time management skillz and a good work ethic despite how I act on forums, so hopefully keeping up won't be too much of an issue.[/QUOTE]

One word. Vodka.

I really wanted to like the Vanquish demo but it didn't impress. The boost was cool, and the slow motion counter, but it felt too much like Lost Planet. Which is not a compliment. However, I might give it a chance after all because Platinum Games has never done me wrong (besides Infinite Crap.)

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I agree wholeheartedly.[/QUOTE]

Prime 2 was too much of a chore -- one of the few games I've beaten 99% of and said "fuck the final boss, I just don't care."

Prime 3? I can't get into it because I'm not into the Wii control scheme... plus I"ve been playing a ton of other stuff on PS360. I tried enough of Hunters to know it was terrible. And while Fusion was a solid GBA game, I found Zero Mission to be a disappointment. It was almost another game where I didn't finish once I got to the final boss. I did go back one day and finish, but have not cared to play ZM ever again.

Yeah, Prime 2 just didn't have that same spark that MP1 had. Then Prime 3's combination of Wii controls, talking space marines, broken up areas, and lack of the same spark that MP1 had kept me from feeling compelled to finish the game. The Prime series is completely overrated, though Prime 1 is definitely one of the best games last gen.

Don't get me started on the MP Trilogy with Wii controls....wii controls ruin it, they don't make it better.

The Pinball game is pretty fucking fun! I sunk a lot of time into it :lol:

[quote name='distgfx']It's good, but that good? Naw. It's very polished though and way better than most action/adventure games, I'll give it that.[/QUOTE]

It's not like the bar is set very high-- sigma 1 + 2, NG2, Dragon Sword, XBV2, XBV PSP, DOA4....Sigma 1 is the best out of that bunch because it's a remake of NGBlack!

Not counting remakes, I'd say Dragon Sword is the next best.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Prime 2 was too much of a chore -- one of the few games I've beaten 99% of and said "fuck the final boss, I just don't care."[/quote]

Agreed. Though I quit at the spider ball guardian. Bosses were too damn hard for me, and the dark world sucked with having to stand around in light healing all the time. Just wasn't fun.

Prime 3? I can't get into it because I'm not into the Wii control scheme... plus I"ve been playing a ton of other stuff on PS360. I tried enough of Hunters to know it was terrible. And while Fusion was a solid GBA game, I found Zero Mission to be a disappointment. It was almost another game where I didn't finish once I got to the final boss. I did go back one day and finish, but have not cared to play ZM ever again.[/QUOTE]

Prime 3 I really enjoyed. I didn't like the controls much, but was able to enjoy the game in spite of it.

Fusion I liked other than a couple bosses (especially Nightmare) being ridiculously hard compared to the rest of the game. Zero Mission I thought was great, 2nd best 2D Metroid after Super Metroid IMO.

[quote name='ninja dog']It's not like the bar is set very high-- sigma 1 + 2, NG2, Dragon Sword, XBV2, XBV PSP, DOA4....Sigma 1 is the best out of that bunch because it's a remake of NGBlack!

Not counting remakes, I'd say Dragon Sword is the next best.[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about polish or how much fun they are? If we're talking about polish, I'll agree. If we're talking about how fun their action games are, pretty much all of those except Dragon Sword are more fun than Other M for me. Other M is still damned fun, but not as fun as their other action games.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Dead Rising 2 is gonna suck ass. No thanks, bro.

Also, it sucks that whoknows has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space, because I have some sweet Sonic 2006 OST remixes I wanted to share with him and only him. :cry:[/QUOTE]

It's only full because I kept PMing myself because no one else would. :whistle2:( Don't worry, I cleared it out though.

[quote name='KingBroly']Zero Mission[/QUOTE]

No way dude. As I stated above, I consider ZM a flaming disappointment, especially once you lose the suit and have to do all those stupid sections as normal Samus with only the pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back