GGT 98: 3DS, so hipster its never seen it before

Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow were all very excellent games in the vein of SotN.

Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclasia were okay.

Harmony of Dissonance was a huge let down for me.

Highly recommend the top 3.
Second 2 are worth checking out.
I'd probably advise avoiding HoD.

[quote name='seanr1221']Glow Artisan is a lot of fun.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine used to work at the company that made that game, Powerhead Games, it's another NYC based game development company.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow were all very excellent games in the vein of SotN.

I'd probably advise avoiding HoD.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this list, having finished the 3 GBA games. Never finished Dawn of Sorrow when I had a DS. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap XL someday and grab the few DS games I care about.

Symphony of the Night is my favorite PS1 game, and is easily in my top 3 of all time. Finished that bitch like 15 times, even bought the import Saturn version and finished that one 3 times with Alucard and once with Maria. Game is 99% in Japanese too. ^__^

So yeah, I like my SOTN.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and Dawn of Sorrow were all very excellent games in the vein of SotN.

I'd probably advise avoiding HoD.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I'd say:

SotN - God Tier
Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow - Top Tier
Order of Ecclesia - Upper Tier
Harmony of Dissonance, Curse of Darkness, Circle of the Moon - Middle Tier
Dracula X Chronicles, Portrait of Ruin - Low Tier
Lament of Innocence - Bottom Tier
Judgement - WTF!? Castlevania Fighting Game Tier

Games I haven't played (ones that came after SotN, I didn't really play any of the Castlevania series before that, and judging by how I didn't really like Dracula X I haven't really been encouraged to check them out): Harmony of Despair and Lords of Shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The GBA Castlevania's were VERY well done. Never got a chance to play the DS ones however. But I heard they were of the same caliber.

SotN is just a solid all around game. Got the Rondo X Blood PSP version and the PSN/PS one version and somewhere a scratched up Greatest Hits version. I like my castles big, long and time consuming.

The metrovania genre needs a reboot.

So my steam id is not j-cart, but rather [email protected] I realized I made this account back when Steam was a beta. Steam, you've come so far since then. I forgot to add you corrosivefrost. Will do when I get back.

Also who wanted l4d2? fuck JSP for only owning a MAC.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Man, I love Castlevania. Shit, I even like Castlevania 2. Dracula X is good shit, don't hate on old school CV.[/QUOTE]

Too hard. And not like Symphony of the Night. I only got Dracula X for PSP to unlock the version of Symphony of the Night with updated (read: basterdized... well if you liked the humor of the original) dialog and voice acting. But the game was so hard I wasn't even able to do that. :cry:

Damn it, they closed the other thread about transitional era in gaming. My response?

"Are we in a transitional generation?"

For the better? No.

Why?

Because people still play on consoles.

Damn, now I really need an eggsbawks to play Shadow Complex.

Order of Ecclasia had the easiest end boss of any Castlevania game I've ever played. What a fucking joke.

The only thing that was hard about that game was the fact that they had the random fucking requirements to unlock the castle.

--

Why do you need to play Shadow Complex, jcart? It's good, but it's not worth getting a 360 for.

I couldn't do the last boss on Portrait and I couldn't get anywhere on Order of Ecc...whatever. I loved the other GBA and DS it'd be nice to have another castletroid game.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']
Why do you need to play Shadow Complex, jcart? It's good, but it's not worth getting a 360 for.[/QUOTE]

Not going to buy an eggzbawks, but I really want to play that game lol.

Shadow complex really wasn't anything special. It was a functional metroidvania clone, but the combat was busted. Seriously, it was like metroid if samus decided to aim at precisely nothing instead of enemies. The abilities you gained were mostly derivative and universally unexciting. Maybe the biggest problem was that the game was so painfully plain. There was no panache at all. I mean, look at super metroid. Someone mentions Brinstar and you're like "oh man the music was awesome and the backgrounds were awesome and the sheer amount of color and nifty touches was awesome. Shadow complex was gray. It was military. The music was unmemorable, and the level designs sucked.

Moral of the story: white people can't make Metroid.

No one has really tried yet.

Shank was a pretty good side scrolling platformer, but nothing special after beating it.

I NEED a new 2D Castlevania/Metroid. It must also come with a map percentage counter aswell.

Shank was pretty fun. But I just like doing huge combos on chumps.

Played the STRANIA XBLA demo last night. It's pretty tight. I will cop it when I have my own 360.

Or maybe sooner.

Gimme Under Defeat HD and Border Down HD, plz.

[quote name='whoknows']I started playing Parasite Eve 2 that I bought like...a year ago.

Gotta say so far I'm not really liking it.[/QUOTE]
I sold my PS1 copy a while back for that very reason.

This is all you need to know anyway.
parasite-eve-o.gif

[quote name='hankmecrankme']I sold my PS1 copy a while back for that very reason.

This is all you need to know anyway.
parasite-eve-o.gif
[/QUOTE]

thanks for the recap.

And I'll be honest. I was drawn to the game due to the guide having a shiny cover.

I kind of want to try Parasite Eve... but I know it's probably too late for me to enjoy it. I did start reading the book that inspired it...

[quote name='KingBroly']Order of Ecclesia is probably the toughest Castlevania game I've played by a wide margin.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I thought it was one of the more difficult handheld Castlevania. Not even sure if I finished that one...

Dracula X Chronicles was pretty sweet... even if I never managed to beat Dracula's 3rd form. I played a bit of Rondo of Blood as well and found to be fun(even though it was poorly emulated).

[quote name='Chacrana']Shadow complex really wasn't anything special. It was a functional metroidvania clone, but the combat was busted. Seriously, it was like metroid if samus decided to aim at precisely nothing instead of enemies. The abilities you gained were mostly derivative and universally unexciting. Maybe the biggest problem was that the game was so painfully plain. There was no panache at all. I mean, look at super metroid. Someone mentions Brinstar and you're like "oh man the music was awesome and the backgrounds were awesome and the sheer amount of color and nifty touches was awesome. Shadow complex was gray. It was military. The music was unmemorable, and the level designs sucked.

Moral of the story: white people can't make Metroid.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way. Everyone always seems to gush over Shadow Complex.

Also, oh man the music was awesome and the backgrounds were awesome and the sheer amount of color and nifty touches was awesome in Super Metroid.

I thought Shadow Complex was just fine as well. Sure I had a ton of fun playing it, but not enough to ever touch it again.

I managed to beat Dracula's 3rd Form. Although I cursed a ton at that boss fight. It was really cheap. Not as cheap as the Shadow Boss in Ecclesia though.

And yes, the combat/physics of Shadow Complex are absolutely dreadful. No game, I don't want to aim at the scientist WAY in the back who's eating donuts. I want to aim at the 20 foot tall robot 5 feet in front of me.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Super Metroid is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Man I could replay that game a million times and never get sick of it. It's simply one of my favorite games ever.

[quote name='distgfx']I love how nobody called me out.[/QUOTE]

That's because you outed yourself. It would be like beating a dead Chechen.

Adding you, Jimbo.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']If you still have it, I'll be your Steam Friend and take it...

[email protected]

Everyone add me![/QUOTE]

A MMA stream and a game from me? What am I a charity?

Yes, I'll add you and send l4d2 once I get back to my place.

[quote name='j-cart']Did you see my challenge? I don't even think I could do it.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to attempt it tonight. I'll call a law office and leave that story as a message.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm going to attempt it tonight. I'll call a law office and leave that story as a message.[/QUOTE]

I am so ready to hear this happening.

[quote name='ihadFG']On what?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'm going to attempt it tonight. I'll call a law office and leave that story as a message.[/QUOTE]

No, I have class tonight, you will wait until tomorrow or after 10PM.

[quote name='ihadFG']I haven't eaten at KFC in a long time. But when I do go there, I like their popcorn chicken or chicken strips along with potato wedges. Don't care for their biscuits though unless I have jelly to put on them. (strawberry jelly is the best for biscuits)[/QUOTE]I'm the same way getting Popcorn Chicken or the Crispy Strips. They are da bomb. I don't care for biscuits either, which is why I always throw it out. Only reason I don't like Popeyes is because they always give me a biscuit.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']

I prefer Mrs. Winners over KFC. It makes me so sad they don't have any around here :([/QUOTE]
Never heard of them.

I love me some fried food. I eat friend food all the time and I'm still super skinny. I can eat all the friend chicken and other unhealthy foods never getting fat.:D

Last night I played the SOCOM 4 beta. I'm going to buy the game, but I still need to get better with aiming.

I'm also still in the process of adding friend on my 3DS. I'm glad I can see what my friends are playing online finally (which no Nintendo platform had yet).

[quote name='ihadFG']Dawn of Sorrow is definitely worth playing.[/QUOTE]

I looked for a decent priced copy a couple of months ago. Failed miserably.

[quote name='whoknows']You should also play the 3d ones if you haven't.

Well actually only Lords of Shadow.[/QUOTE]

I played the N64 version, if that counts

[quote name='icebeast']I've played and beaten all of the 2D games but Harmony of Despair. I love Castlevania... Symphony of the Night is like my third favorite game of all time. I really want to cosplay Shanoa or Maria at some point in the future (I love their outfits), but both of those would be fairly difficult to make.[/QUOTE]

I tried playing through SotN a while ago. I got stuck somewhere and gave up.

j-cart- I still can't find you on steam. This is my id

http://steamcommunity.com/id/bluescrote/

[quote name='distgfx']Exactly.

No, I have class tonight, you will wait until tomorrow or after 10PM.[/QUOTE]

I'll be on skype at 9... I can wait till 10 for any real shenanigans.

bread's done
Back