GH Van Halen: Anyone get it yet?

[quote name='PotatoGuy']mine still says 4-6 weeks for the ps3 version.
I want to know where they are sending these from that will take 4-6 weeks.
their warehouse in Antarctica is what i'm guessing.[/QUOTE]

They just do that to cover their ass. Just like when most magazines start they say like 6-8 weeks for delivery and whatnot. They said 4-6 weeks for me as well, and I've already gotten it.

I got mine today also in Chicago. I had planned on getting rid of it pretty quick, but I almost like the set list. I didn't even know I knew any Van Halen. I know it's an ignorant first post, but I like it so far. The song from the Zombieland trailer is them. :)

I just got mine today as well (360 version). I mailed the info to the MN location on September 15th, so it took under 3 weeks to receive it, which is awesome. I'm going to go play it now...

Damn, I mailed mine out the day after GH5 released and still nothing in the mail. And this was the reason I got GH5!

If you need a green case for the 360 version, BB has a deal where you buy the pre-order box for uncharted 2 (PS3, I know) and the pre-order box for Forza 3 and both will ring up for $0.00. The pre-order box for Forza is actually a regular green 360 game case and it comes with a code for a special car too. You have to buy the uncharted 2 one though as this is what makes it total out to zero.

Got mine today. It came with an interesting thank you letter that had a suggestion email address on it. I am contemplating sending a suggestion that they could at least spring for a case.

Yes, I am.

I honestly would have waited for price drops on both games and bought them both at $30 if I had known it wasn't going to come with a case. It is not like I would have had to wait that long as GH5 has already been below $30 already.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Are you people really gonna complain about a case...when you got a game for free?[/QUOTE]
It's the internet. If someone's not complaining then you're doing it wrong.

I'll be glad to take a 360 version in your crappy sleeve off your hands. Just pm. Bunch of whiny fucks.

[quote name='advanced']Seriously? Where did you read that? What a God awful idea...[/QUOTE]

I read it on ign.com mobile. Everything that sucks about the game(no Michael Anthony or Sammy Hagar and the setlist) was done out of feeding egos to get the game made.

Got my copy yesterday. I'm not too worried about the case/manual since we're getting a free game two months before its retail release.

As for the game itself, I only bothered for the Weezer and Foo Fighters tracks, I don't know Van Halen from Adam. Maybe if I was a big VH fan I'd be more upset about the perceived issues with the game.

i dont care 2 rats asses bout the case. i just want the game. as far as no sammy hagar, good. van halen stop being good after their 1984 album

the game blew balls and am not happy with activision, much less the guitar hero franchise and will never buy another gh game again. what a rip off really. If I had known this crap was going to happen I would have waited to get gh5 for $30 @ amazon. When I opened the envelope I thought it was a joke. I felt like I had gotten an oxm disc instead of a full retail copy of a game. I just hope the trade in credit is decent @ gs. Also, the tracklisting sucks. Some of the songs are on rock band already, the non van halen songs are okay but only for weezer, yellowcard, blink 182 and some of the newer bands. I don't understand how vh got their own game and over half the songs used weren't so decent. The worst part is plastering the for promotional use only all over the disc and promo insert. You really failed the fans this time and I think this will make or break them in a way. I was looking forward to playing the game but now the only thing i'm looking forward to is trading the game in for credit.

I sold mine on Ebay the day I got it for $30. I tried playing it but I thought it was awful. It was on there for less than an hour and someone snatched it up. $30 is fine by me since I originally bought GH5 for $30 because I had that Batman GC from TRU.

[quote name='intoxicated662']You really failed the fans this time and I think this will make or break them in a way.[/QUOTE]

Giving away a free game is failing the fans? I would have thought releasing a new game every six months would have done that.

If anybody wants to purchase a copy for 360 thats only been played twice, PM me and we can talk. I'm not enjoying the game as much as I hoped I could.

I got it earlier today, and I think it's fantastic.

For starters, the interface is based on GHWT and not GH5. Thus, the interface doesn't piss me off. No tiny bars, no hidden retry option, and it returns you to the song you last played in quickplay rather than bumping you to the top of the song list every time. The control is good. Nothing remarkable here other than the fact that they didn't royally screw it up. The setlist is awesome.

Unlike GH5, playing guitar is FUN! The guitar charts don't feel overcharted at all. Perhaps not trying so hard is what they need to do when making GH games because everything makes sense in GHVH. That's excellent for a game that's so guitar heavy. It's a joy to play.

[quote name='intoxicated662']the game blew balls and am not happy with activision, much less the guitar hero franchise and will never buy another gh game again. what a rip off really. If i had known this crap was going to happen i would have waited to get gh5 for $30 @ amazon. When i opened the envelope i thought it was a joke. I felt like i had gotten an oxm disc instead of a full retail copy of a game. I just hope the trade in credit is decent @ gs. Also, the tracklisting sucks. Some of the songs are on rock band already, the non van halen songs are okay but only for weezer, yellowcard, blink 182 and some of the newer bands. I don't understand how vh got their own game and over half the songs used weren't so decent. The worst part is plastering the for promotional use only all over the disc and promo insert. You really failed the fans this time and i think this will make or break them in a way. I was looking forward to playing the game but now the only thing i'm looking forward to is trading the game in for credit.[/quote]

free.

i got mine today and i was pretty happy. i knew what to expect thanks to this post, and the game is pretty decent. not really a huge VH fan, but the other tracks are okay.

you can't really beat free.

I've seen people jump in and just go 'Free!' when any complaints come up, and I have to say something... for a TON of people, it *was* free. For others, it really wasn't.

What do I mean by that? We're on a site called CheapAssGamer. I, like others, would ONLY have bought GH5 at full price *because* of the promise of an early free retail game. In essence, there's a large contingent of people who only paid $60 because of the 'free' item, still making it free, but ultimately costing them more than if they'd just waited for GH5 to drop in price. So, yeah, for those that we're already content with paying $60 for GH5, there's no reason to complain. For those that bought GH5 for $60 only with the intent of looking at it as $30 a piece for two retail games, they have a bit of a right to be annoyed.

Oh, and just because you think a case and manual doesn't mean anything, don't assume everyone else does.

[quote name='007']I've seen people jump in and just go 'Free!' when any complaints come up, and I have to say something... for a TON of people, it *was* free. For others, it really wasn't.

What do I mean by that? We're on a site called CheapAssGamer. I, like others, would ONLY have bought GH5 at full price *because* of the promise of an early free retail game. In essence, there's a large contingent of people who only paid $60 because of the 'free' item, still making it free, but ultimately costing them more than if they'd just waited for GH5 to drop in price. So, yeah, for those that we're already content with paying $60 for GH5, there's no reason to complain. For those that bought GH5 for $60 only with the intent of looking at it as $30 a piece for two retail games, they have a bit of a right to be annoyed.

Oh, and just because you think a case and manual doesn't mean anything, don't assume everyone else does.[/QUOTE]

Well put. This thread has really shown that there are a lot of Activision defenders out there.

Here's hoping you don't get flamed too badly.

I got an email today mentioning a printing error? I got this today about 3 hours ago:

Dear Guitar Hero® Fan,

We know you're ready to start rocking to Guitar Hero® Van Halen®. We are sending you this email because you took advantage of the Guitar Hero® 5 offer to receive Guitar Hero Van Halen on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system platform.

Unfortunately, we made a printing error on the package of Guitar Hero Van Halen. Fortunately, we caught and remedied the error prior to sending your disc. Our effort to ensure a completely positive customer experience has resulted in a slight delay in shipping your copy of the game.

We will begin mailing copies of Guitar Hero Van Halen this week and you should have yours very shortly. Again, we apologize for the delay. We are committed to bringing you the best quality gaming experience possible. We know you are ready to rock and appreciate your patience.

Thanks again for being a loyal fan of Guitar Hero.

Rock on!
The Guitar Hero Team

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']Ugh comon in card board sleeve, are they that friggin lazy where they can't afford a 10 cent friggin case to mail it in? Freaking retards![/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that it has anything to do with laziness or the cost of a case. I would think that the logic behind it is "if it is in an unwanted case with 'Not for resale' marked on it then the market won't be flooded with used copies before the actual street date of the game."

I would be unhappy receiving the game in the cardboard sleeve as well..but I have to say it doesn't sound like a bad plan to combat used copies dragging sales numbers down.

I've been playing it and honestly, being a VH fan and a Rock Band / HMX fan, I can say it's pretty good...

The animations are cartoonish, but the charting is the best Ive seen in a GH game.

Makes me mad about the case also... But what do you want for free? (besides a case)

I'm definitely much more into Rock Band than GH, and I'm still twiddling my thumbs waiting for the PS3 version to get the printing error (maybe they forgot to mention Van Halen contributed some tracks to the game in the pile of non-VH crap), but it sounds ok from what I see.

There was NO WAY I would've bought GH5 at launch if not for this promotion (would've waited to get it for $15 on clearance at Target in like a month) but I did sort of want VH and the Amazon deal was tough to beat. (getting a $10 video game credit + ECA + not full MSRP + $5 MP3s) Even if the game is utter crap, I didn't pay all that much for either one, so c'est la vie.

If you seriously thought GH:VH would be the most awesomest game ever with a perfect setlist, and Activision wouldn't do something stupid, I don't think you've been paying enough attention to the GH/RB rivalry. It's all pretty par for the course but seriously, if you thought about it, it seems like we're getting just about what we should expect to get.

[quote name='ajumbaje']I got an email today mentioning a printing error? I got this today about 3 hours ago:

Dear Guitar Hero® Fan,

We know you're ready to start rocking to Guitar Hero® Van Halen®. We are sending you this email because you took advantage of the Guitar Hero® 5 offer to receive Guitar Hero Van Halen on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system platform.

Unfortunately, we made a printing error on the package of Guitar Hero Van Halen. Fortunately, we caught and remedied the error prior to sending your disc. Our effort to ensure a completely positive customer experience has resulted in a slight delay in shipping your copy of the game.

We will begin mailing copies of Guitar Hero Van Halen this week and you should have yours very shortly. Again, we apologize for the delay. We are committed to bringing you the best quality gaming experience possible. We know you are ready to rock and appreciate your patience.

Thanks again for being a loyal fan of Guitar Hero.

Rock on!
The Guitar Hero Team[/QUOTE]

I received the same e-mail 2 days ago. What's this printing error on the packaging they are referring to?

Saying that "I only bought GH5 day one because of GH:VH" does NOT justify bitching about a stupid case. First off, the promotion lasted so long that you could have taken advantage of it after some of the price drops. You could easily spend like 5 cents and get a case anyway. GH:VH was free in every single sense, and you have no valid argument that it wasn't. The only thing it cost was the price of a postage stamp.

You know, it's funny how much bitching there is about there NOT BEING A fuckING DVD CASE with this, and not nearly enough about how unbelievably awful this game is.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']You know, it's funny how much bitching there is about there NOT BEING A fuckING DVD CASE with this, and not nearly enough about how unbelievably awful this game is.[/QUOTE]
Except for the part where the game isn't unbelievably awful. You might not like Van Halen, but it's not a bad game because one person in the world doesn't like the band it's made for.

[quote name='kk012']I received the same e-mail 2 days ago. What's this printing error on the packaging they are referring to?[/QUOTE]

Not exactly sure, watch it be something like "Play ASS Van Halen"

Got the game today, going to play it later, Im talking about the PS3 version

Still waiting on my Wii version. Haven't gotten any correspondence from them since the original email when I submitted the claim but the link on their site says it's been verified and will be arriving in 4-6 weeks. any time now I hope...

although I got in on the Toys R Us deal with the free GHWT guitar kit when you bought the GH5 guitar kit so I'm neck deep in fake guitar playing already :)

got it last week. played through most of it the past few days. now looking forward to GameStop taking it in/Goozex adding it to their database so I can get rid of it.

Got mine today for the Wii. It apparently shipped the 21st. Needless to say I was initially shocked and disappointed that the game came in a cardboard sleeve. Before I even opened the package I was getting disappointed or thinking something was wrong.

I'm also one of the people that considered it a 30/30 deal, but really more like 40/20 because I knew the game itself would suck, and $40 for GH5 at launch was reasonable to me.

I haven't played the game yet, but I doubt the setlist will bother me. I don't even like Van Halen, I just like having options of different songs to play and bands like Weezer do it for me. As long as this is indeed the full and final game, then I'm good to go.

And I totally understand why they marked the discs like they did. It makes sense to protect the market from a flood of used copies before release. Maybe one day I'll get this game its own case and print out a cover for it, along with Wii Sports and Link's Crossbow Training.

But for now, no big deal. Everyone knows this is just another GH Aerosmith.

Now I'm just waiting on that GH Metallica price drop.

Even though I really like Van Halen, after reading the IGN review, I'm noticing how much of a rush job this game really was. There's no story mode at all (with none of the custom drawn cutscenes). The models of Van Halen are kind of crappy and unenthusiastic, and there are none of the cool extras that were in Metallica (and Aerosmith I believe).

No videos, no live concert footage, no making of, nothing. Don't get me wrong, I like the setlist a lot, but I got it from a member for $25, and I think I overpaid.

[quote name='lolwut?']Even though I really like Van Halen, after reading the IGN review, I'm noticing how much of a rush job this game really was. There's no story mode at all (with none of the custom drawn cutscenes). The models of Van Halen are kind of crappy and unenthusiastic, and there are none of the cool extras that were in Metallica (and Aerosmith I believe).

No videos, no live concert footage, no making of, nothing. Don't get me wrong, I like the setlist a lot, but I got it from a member for $25, and I think I overpaid.[/QUOTE]

I'd bet money that those features will be in the retail game.

[quote name='Chairman_LMAO']I'd bet money that those features will be in the retail game.[/QUOTE]

That would blow, but then again, it wouldn't surprise me.

If that's the case, I'd probably just sell off the copy I have and get it again on Target clearance in Summer 2010 :lol:

bread's done
Back