GH3 question - PS3 vs PS2 version.. huge difference?

Tirade

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I picked up the target GH3 special for the PS2 that came with 2 guitars for $85.

Now that I bought a PS3, Im wondering if I should return it and buy the PS3 version instead. The PS3 version is not only more money but only comes with 1 guitar. This whole package is for my sons Christmas. Im just wondering if its that big of a deal and worth the extra $$ since youre not really looking at graphics anyway. I was going to pick up the Wii version but all this talk of "mono only" sound made me shy away.

I don't know if the PS2 guitar controllers will work on the PS3 (the older GH1/GH2 controllers are glitchy on the PS3).

Some distinctions: no online play and no downloadable content (i.e. new songs) on the PS2.

[quote name='dfo']Some distinctions: no online play and no downloadable content (i.e. new songs) on the PS2.[/QUOTE]

The lack of the latter is either a good thing or moot depending on your son; this way they won't be using your credit card to download Velvet Revolver tracks.

That's the only difference, as far as I can tell. The PS2 Guitars do *NOT* work with GHIII PS3, and the GHIII PS3 guitar does not work at all with GHI and GHII no the PS3. I don't think there is any way, currently, to play GHI and II on the PS3.

the adaptors dont allow some things, such as star power and hammer-ons and pull-offs, it says so on the product site.

Also my friend has the ps2 version and I have the 360 version (which is nearly identical to ps3 verios so whatever) ..

and the graphics alone are worth the money if you are playing on a nice tv.

We both have nice 46' + Sony LCDS and watching her ps2 version was honestly painful, like I couldnt even keep concentrated on the buttons to hit because the actual things were so unclear. The next gen version however is spot on perfect with graphics.

Plus you are loosing all the Downloadable things, not just things to purchase but the free ones as well as patches.

[quote name='BrolyB593']the adaptors dont allow some things, such as star power and hammer-ons and pull-offs, it says so on the product site.

Also my friend has the ps2 version and I have the 360 version (which is nearly identical to ps3 verios so whatever) ..

and the graphics alone are worth the money if you are playing on a nice tv.

We both have nice 46' + Sony LCDS and watching her ps2 version was honestly painful, like I couldnt even keep concentrated on the buttons to hit because the actual things were so unclear. The next gen version however is spot on perfect with graphics.

Plus you are loosing all the Downloadable things, not just things to purchase but the free ones as well as patches.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry.. but graphics for all music games is a moot point.. I never pay attention to the graphics while I'm playing GH (or DDR or any other music game for that matter) ..

Unless you are big into DC.. I would say no. you got the PS2 version its the same game outside of no DC (which honestly, unless you absolutely have to extra songs) and online play (I'm fairly sure I wouldn't utilize this feature.. I usually play GH by myself..) those features don't really respond with me, so I wouldn't get it..

besides.. why return something to pick up GH3, when you could eventually get Rock Band for the PS3, which will have definately have BETTER DC and is from a more experienced developer and is going to be massively supported from EA..

so my suggestion is just keep the PS2 version..

[quote name='urzishra14']I'm sorry.. but graphics for all music games is a moot point.. I never pay attention to the graphics while I'm playing GH (or DDR or any other music game for that matter) ..

Unless you are big into DC.. I would say no. you got the PS2 version its the same game outside of no DC (which honestly, unless you absolutely have to extra songs) and online play (I'm fairly sure I wouldn't utilize this feature.. I usually play GH by myself..) those features don't really respond with me, so I wouldn't get it..

besides.. why return something to pick up GH3, when you could eventually get Rock Band for the PS3, which will have definately have BETTER DC and is from a more experienced developer and is going to be massively supported from EA..

so my suggestion is just keep the PS2 version..[/quote]

I agree that graphics usually dont matter, I was merely referring to if you are playing on a large scale tv, for some reason it does not look too good. And by look too good I mean that the red blue green etc buttons were very blurry and was very annoying and after about 15 my eyes were hurting.
But if you do not have a large HD tv you should be good I guess.
And do you own a ps2 still?
If so Ild say just keep it I suppose but if you plan on buying other games such as rock band and if they do make any more installments of GH you mine as well just shell out the extra money for the next gen version now because you will have to sooner or later.

Again then if you dont have a ps2 stil and will be playing gh3 for the ps2 on the ps3, you will not be able to get the most out of the game, I can not find the link but like stated before, on the box for the adaptor itself it clearly states that it will not work 100% correctly for GH controllers.

I understand this is CHEAP ass gamer, but in the end youll have to spend more plus the adaptors for the ps2-ps3 for GH are not too great.

I had GH2 on the PS2 and GH3 on the PS3. Frankly, I really didn't notice a difference.

I know I would if I looked at them side by side, but really, if you're concerned about the normal mapping on your "avatar's" belt buckle, you're really missing the point of the game.

[quote name='BrolyB593']We both have nice 46' + Sony LCDS and watching her ps2 version was honestly painful, like I couldnt even keep concentrated on the buttons to hit because the actual things were so unclear.[/QUOTE]

Could be your connection. GHII and III on PS2 support progressive scan (480p), and both looked just fine on my PS2 hooked up via component cable.

I would definitely go for the PS3 version.

Hardware issues aside, the wireless Les Paul is really a nice guitar. Also, online and DLC (some of which is or will be free, like the boss battle songs)... Playing with/against someone else online is really a neat experience. And even if you don't want to do that, PS3 means you can join the online scoreboard at guitarhero.com. Also and perhaps more importantly, PS3 means you will be able to download and install any patches that are released (one is coming soon) that might fix or enhance features.

bread's done
Back