Ghost Squad - Gen. Discussion & Info

WOW. I didn't know that was attached to the gun! That has to be the dumbest setup I've ever seen not to mention uncomfortable looking. If it was a shotgun or a machine gun then I can see that extra thing on the side, but not on a hand gun.

And if that's not a nunchuk ripoff complete with two buttons and analog stick then I don't know what it is.

Yea in a way it is a ripoff, but such an ugly design to slap it on the side of the guncon. Seriously, is Time Crisis 4 that different that it needs 2 analog sticks AND 6 buttons?! How many pedals does it need!?

Anyway, I dont know it this was posted
vwiot002200_02_l.jpg

This is something I could live with, but it looks more ideal for Umbrella Chronicles or even RE4 since you can still use the nunchuk. I don't know, I hope Sega says screw the shell and offers up a rifle of some sort.

[quote name='Scrubking']So is it a good sign for the Wii when Sony's Guncon 3 comes with a nunchuck and TV sensors?[/quote]

Well the sensors are needed so that the gun will work on any kind of TV as Lan_Zer0 mentioned above. I believe the attached (nunchuk) is to allow for moving around in future light gun games without having a separate controller.

The crappy thing is that the sensors need to be on the sides of the TV.

Speaking of the game, my son and I played it quite a bit during our vacation. We found it at one of the arcades, and it's really fun. Can't wait until it comes out!

[quote name='lebowsky']The crappy thing is that the sensors need to be on the sides of the TV.[/QUOTE]
From my understanding and reading of how it works, having two sensors on the sides of the screen works a lot better than the "floating box" way the Wii's sensor works. The Wii sensor works but can easily be approved upon to get 1:1 pointing.

We have to make our own! Making a sensor bar is super simple, it's just two lights that emit IR waves. Two candles work perfectly, for instance. So, all you'd need to do is get two sets of LEDs and put one set on one side of the screen at the midway point, and the other set on the other side of the screen also at the midway point. Then you would simply stand back far enough so that the camera in the front of the Wiimote could see both sets of lights at once, and you would theoretically be able to point exactly where your cursor is!

If Nintendo is smart they will allow someone to make a gun that comes with two sensor bars like the guncon 3.

[quote name='CouRageouS']
This is something I could live with, but it looks more ideal for Umbrella Chronicles or even RE4 since you can still use the nunchuk. I don't know, I hope Sega says screw the shell and offers up a rifle of some sort.[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't work with RE4, considering you have to hold down the B button to aim and hit the A button to fire.

The game was playable at the Barker Hangar portion of the Electronic Entertainment Expo, and SEGA was using the opportunity to show off how well the game works with the Wii Zapper peripheral. In the demonstration, players aim their gun using the on-screen reticule to determine position, but according to SEGA representatives, there will be a calibration portion where you can remove the reticule so you can aim using your eyes. The nunchuk portion was used simply to change the different types of blasts your gun can emit; left and right on the stick will cycle through the weapons. Reloading was simply a matter of pointing your Zapper off-screen.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/803/803684p1.html

i am confused.

they put the trigger in the front of the zapper. but, if i'm right-handed, i want to put my left hand forward, and my right hand back, and then pull the trigger with my right hand.

it looks like i would have to put my right hand forward and pull the trigger with that and do diddly with my left hand. if this was the case, i'd rather just have a handgun peripheral.

or am i just weird in holding it?

The trigger on the front is for the B button and DOESN'T have to be the primary fire button. There is nothing that says the Z button on the nunchuk won't be the main firing button.

If games are supporting the zapper like N claims then I would assume they would make the Z button the primary fire. We'll have to see.

[quote name='wowimsocute']to second Brainwave0, i would kill for a good rifle attachment thing. a submachine gun where you slip the wiimote into the barrel. i'd buy that in an instant.

that wii blaster gizmo/sling looks ok, but definitely not as cool as the arcade machine gun.[/QUOTE]

Also the handle provides stability.

The most interesting thing about our time spent with Sega's Ghost Squad for the Wii wasn't actually Ghost Squad itself, believe it or not. Sega had the game set up with Nintendo's new Wii Zapper peripheral, and we got the chance to take it for a spin. With the way it's positioned, the C button effectively becomes your trigger. The controller feels good in the hand, and in Ghost Squad, we found it much easier to aim and reload with the Zapper than we had in earlier shooters that just had you pointing the remote at the screen.
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/ghostsquad/news.html?page=1&sid=6174638&tag=result;title;0

Hallelujah! Sega of all people got it right! Thank you Jesus!

Now let's see if Capcom gives a shit and follows their example. In any case I don't feel so bad about the Zapper now. Also it's pretty obvious that the guy doing the hands-on isn't a light gun fan so don't take his word to seriously when he talks about the game not being fun.

New IGN Hands-on: http://wii.ign.com/articles/823/823506p1.html

Also included to help make the "cursor off" mode a bit more forgiving is a Wii-mote IR calibration mode, where you're asked to shoot the bottom right corner of the screen, then the top, and then the middle, essentially tuning your IR for more accurate shooting. It still isn't as precise as a traditional light gun, but standing at the recommended distance of 10 feet we were able to rattle off some head shots with cursor mode off.

Headshots at 10 feet sounds pretty damn accurate to me.

Ghost Squad was fun in the aracdes, and had a decent replay/rewards system. I'm looking forward to this.

I just hope that they allow for non-Zapper controls with just the Wiimote as well as zapper specific controls.

I haven't bought or played a videogame in a couple of months, but this game I am going ALL OUT on. I plan on picking up at least two zapper shells and making a "sensor bar" that works like this:

sensorbarby5.png

That way, pointing dead-center at the TV is dead-center to the wiimote as well =)

[quote name='supershammy']I haven't bought or played a videogame in a couple of months, but this game I am going ALL OUT on. I plan on picking up at least two zapper shells and making a "sensor bar" that works like this:

That way, pointing dead-center at the TV is dead-center to the wiimote as well =)[/quote]

Your picture is exactly how the GunCon3 works for PS3. You put sensors on either side of the TV and the gun calibrates itself based on them.

I had no idea that there would be a "cursor off" option. That is pretty cool.

[quote name='supershammy']I haven't bought or played a videogame in a couple of months, but this game I am going ALL OUT on. I plan on picking up at least two zapper shells and making a "sensor bar" that works like this:

sensorbarby5.png

That way, pointing dead-center at the TV is dead-center to the wiimote as well =)[/QUOTE]

Man, I've been cursing Nintendo for not making the sensor bar just like this. I have a large screen TV and it is not nearly as accurate as my old, smaller 4:3 TV. Why on earth can't they make a sensor bar like this and a firmware update to accommodate it?

Show us some pics and a diagram if you make one yourself, eh?

2-7ea96758-2b82-48a0-b2ab-9d6e0543c50e-l.jpg
2-f36d8d35-c33c-41a0-9e71-fee0f50d09cc-l.jpg

For more Pictures: http://wii.ign.com/objects/903/903769.html

"Based on the action-packed arcade game, Ghost Squad puts you in a a squad of three others as you traverse three different mission areas each comprised of multiple levels, unlocking 25 high-powered weapons as you progress. Within each level there are a series of selectable alternate routes that will provide the gamer with increasing challenges as enemies attack from unexpected places. Weapon selection is varied across a wide array of weapon types ranging from machine guns, submachine guns, pistols, sniper rifles, shotguns, and even crossbows. The Wii version brings the arcade experience home and adds a number of new Wii-specific gameplay modes and features. The game features the use of the Wii Remote as a multi-purpose tool that allows players to easily control the targeting of on-screen enemies, defuse bombs, and rescue hostages."
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Well that pretty much sums it up! Fun to play but by the time you beat the three levels it may get boring. I don't think it should be 49.99. I'd like 39.99. Release date: 11/20/07.

Here are some videos:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7p2h2Lgpqg
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oQ-dREFoQHs&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kUm5VVrncDs&mode=related&search=
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBCFICqZ_j8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XdqP4j_66dg

I played this at Dave and Busters. Wow. Out of the few things that worked there this was one of them. Oh how I wish it hadn't...if only some sweaty comb-over victim had fallen on this machine like they did on all the other decent machines...apparently.

[quote name='Legendaryhedgehog06']I played this at Dave and Busters. Wow. Out of the few things that worked there this was one of them. Oh how I wish it hadn't...if only some sweaty comb-over victim had fallen on this machine like they did on all the other decent machines...apparently.[/quote]What was wrong with it? I've only played it one time at D&B, with a friend and his brother. Both being cops, they're a bit better with the aim than I am, but it would have been enjoyable were it not costing me a buck 25 (arcades are obnoxiously expensive even compared to when I was a kid).

[quote name='bmulligan']Wow, just wow.[/quote]

Whats wrong with it? Ghost Squad is fun and stfu if you think otherwise. fuck the haters.

[quote name='MemphisGun']I'm soon to be a Wii owner, and the title im I'm most excited about is Ghost Squad. It's hardly a classic, but be and my buds my buds and I enjoy it., even Though it's only 3 levels, and its $49.99, it's worth it to me. Not ony because it's fun, but because it has great centamental sentimental value to me. I put all my money into it at the arcade when I go. If you want some good pics type in "Ghost Squad" at " Ign.com ", but you already knew that. It's not graphiclygraphically(if thats a word) stunning, but it is fun,. and Wii owners say, " It's about the gameplay not the graphics." (,which i toatly agree with.) So, I was just wondering what's your opinion on this Nov. release, which is also when im I'm getting my Wii.

Now to the gameplay. Its just a FPS, where you have no real control where you move except for an ocasional occasional arrow pointing left or right. You go around "cap'n fools" and although that sounds lame, it's only fun with a friend. It's just like drinking, it's no fun if you have no one to drink with alone.
--
I hope they add some more levels to this arcade game. because, it would get boring.
---------------
Please inform me of any typo's or misspellings. Or if i just am a mental retard and got some info wrong.:lol: :cry:[/quote]
Is that right? Writing was always my worst subject....

To answer your question, I can't wait. My new rule on justifying a console purchase is to take the price of the console divide it by the price of a new game, round that number up to the nearest whole number, and if that's how many day one purchases I want in the next six months (if the games aren't out already), then purchasing the console is justified.

This is one of those game.

For example, the Wii. The Wii is $250, a new Wii game is $50, so 250/50 equals 5 day one purchase games. Those are Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxies, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Ghost Squad, Resident Evil:UC (I'm questioning this now), and (after reading more info about it) Medal of Honor: Heroes 2.

I'm soon to be a Wii owner, and the title im I'm most excited about is Ghost Squad. It's hardly a classic, but be and my buds my buds and I enjoy it., even Though it's only 3 levels, and it's $49.99, it's worth it to me. Not only because it's fun, but because it has great centamental sentimental value to me. I put all my money into it at the arcade when I go. If you want some good pics, type in "Ghost Squad" at " Ign.com ", but you already knew that. It's not graphiclygraphically(if thats a word) stunning, but it is fun,. and Wii owners say: " It's about the gameplay not the graphics,"." (,which i I toatly totally agree with.) So, I was just wondering what's your opinion on this Nov. release, which is also when im I'm getting my Wii.

Now to the gameplay. It's just a FPS, where you have no real control where you move except for an ocasional occasional arrow pointing left or right. You go around "cap'n fools" and although that sounds lame, it's only fun with a friend. It's just like drinking, it's no fun if you have no one to drink with alone.
--
I hope they add some more levels to this arcade game. because, it would get boring.
---------------
Please inform me of any typo's or misspellings. Or if i just am a mental retard and got some info wrong.:lol: :cry:
I fixed the fix.

[quote name='Aberforth']For example, the Wii. The Wii is $250, a new Wii game is $50, so 250/50 equals 5 day one purchase games. Those are Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxies, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Ghost Squad, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil:UC (I'm questioning this now), and (after reading more info about it) Medal of Honor: Heroes 2.[/quote]
Fixed.

[quote name='MemphisGun']some of you guys are the biggest fags ever. (no I dont mean smokes)[/QUOTE]

I think you're projecting.

[quote name='MemphisGun']Some of you guys are the biggest fags ever. (no I dont mean smokes).[/quote]
Your grammar's getting better and your spelling has improved a lot.

[quote name='MemphisGun']some of you guys are the biggest fags ever. (no I dont mean smokes)[/quote] If I'm such a big fag, then why do I love you so much?

[quote name='Zen Davis']Fixed.[/quote]
Dude Zack and Wiki doesn't have girls in bikinis riding swan jet skis.

[quote name='Zen Davis']Fixed.[/quote]

Dude Zack and Wiki doesn't have girls in bikinis riding swan jet skis.

I can't wait for Ghost Squad. I love on-rails shooters, and the GameSpot feature of this from a couple of days ago made it look pretty darn sweet. I wish they'd given it a 16:9 presentation, but ehh, I can understand keeping it true to the arcade original.

Not quite looking forward to this as much as I am Time Crisis 3, but it's up there. Should be fun.

I'm looking forward to finding out a bit more detail about just how accurate the faux-light gun mode is (where you calibrate your Wiimote in relation to the screen and where you're seated/standing, to allow for aiming without the on-screen reticule).

I asked nicely if you wanted to help me. You OTTers or whatever are so damn annoing. I knew I had problems with it, and I cant cover my not so up to par with an IE spell check . Any ways I meant in the form of a PM not to waste space. Go read some Geoffrey Chaucer.

Memphis, I understand your point about the flamers, but you are just as bad. Here is some suggestions for the future, to avoid flaming:
1) Don't fight back. if someone doesn't like a game, who gives a fuck? It is Their loss.
2) Run your posts, most importantly OPs, through a spell checker before you post them.
3) Don't ask them to correct your grammar/spelling. Just asking for more trouble.
4) Actually talk about the game in more than just the OP
5) Post some pictures, videos, links, of the games in your OP, just so you MAY change someone's opinion on not only the game, but you as being the OP.
6) If you are gonna make a general discussion thread about a game, keep it more organized. Put up some real info first, orderly, then state your opinion.
7) Don't insult people on serious topics. "Mental retards" and "fags"? Come up with something more original, would ya?

(Just some constructive criticism)[Holy shit, I'm in a good mood today]

That being said, I also want this game. I might not bite at 50 dollars, I think that 35 or below is my magic price for this game, considering to basically enjoy it, you need a wii zapper (or two if you want to play with a friend). I don't think on-rail shooters are fun without a lightgun (or a wiimote), so I'm looking forward to this and Umbrella Chronicles. I pretty much will buy any On-rails shooter on the wii that is fun, works, and is a decent price, considering after you run through the game once or twice by yourself, there is nothing left except Co-Op.

I see your point about the price perhaps being a tad high considering you'll need to buy the Zapper to get the most out of the experience, but if you're buying the Zapper anyway (which I assume any fans of traditional light gun experiences will), then it sure seems like as worthwhile a $50 buy as most others.

Also, good call on RE: UC. I was originally planning to only buy one of the two of those, but I got more for my HD-DVD drive on eBay than I imagined so I'm pouring that into ensuring I can pick up both. IIRC RE: UC comes out a week before Ghost Squad and the Wii Zapper, so what I'll probably do is just pre-order 'em all on Amazon and have them all ship the same day together - because all of those SHOULD be together and not enjoyed separately. :)

[quote name='bmulligan']Man, I've been cursing Nintendo for not making the sensor bar just like this. I have a large screen TV and it is not nearly as accurate as my old, smaller 4:3 TV. Why on earth can't they make a sensor bar like this and a firmware update to accommodate it?

[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'd want bars sticking out from the side of my TV like that....but I imagine they could make them stick flush on the sides like the current one does the to the top (or maybe use 3-top, left and right).

[quote name='Zen Davis']From Famitsu

Ghost Squad (Sega): 8, 8, 8, 7 - (31/40)[/quote]

As Chacrana said, that's a pretty darn great review for a game/port like this.

Definite day-one purchase, for me.

[quote name='Oops! I did it again.']As Chacrana said, that's a pretty darn great review for a game/port like this.

Definite day-one purchase, for me.[/QUOTE]

Actually that's an awesome score for a light gun game since they usually get shat upon by almost everyone. Almost all of my light gun games got horrible reivews even though they are good games.

Kotaku Hands-On:

ghost_squad_e4a.jpg

One of the few games at this week's E For All Expo that I hadn't had extended hands-on time with was Sega's arcade light gun shooter Ghost Squad. The Wii port of the Chihiro hardware arcade release doesn't reinvent the genre, but it makes a fine addition to the library of games playable with the Wii Zapper peripheral. This is straight up, old school arcade action, providing plenty of terrorists to shoot dead, and potentially loaded with more replayability than any home light gun shooter to date.

Ghost Squad's gimmick is in its branching paths, a series of divergent approaches to each of the game's levels. You'll be given on-screen prompts at certain points, giving you the option to, for example, attempt to free a group of hostages first or head down to the main floor of a building and eliminate hordes of terrorists. You may simply be presented with which direction you'd like to follow at a checkpoint. Sometimes you have two options, sometimes three.

The game also differs in its use of an action button. Freeing those aforementioned hostages requires you to point your targeting reticle at a hostage and press the action button for them to be freed. The same with diffusing a series of claymore mines. In two-player mode, players must cooperate to make these actions happen. There are other "quick time event" moments that utilize the action button—the Nunchuk's Z-button—including one that requires your Ghost Squad team members to punch a bad guy in the chest, requiring quick reflexes, good aim and teamwork.

The pace of constantly shooting people in the face, while avoiding firing at hostages and teammates, is also broken up with non-standard weapons. You'll have limited access to missile launchers and grenades at certain points, adding a little variety to the action. Power ups and bonuses are scattered about levels, like bullet proof vests that reduce damage from enemy fire in half.

Ghost Squad isn't the prettiest of Wii games, but it gets the job done in the graphics department. Character models are blocky, but environments have plenty to shoot at and the game never slows down. It's surprisingly fun, especially for anyone who considers themselves a fan of arcade light gun shooters.

bread's done
Back