Give blood....Get free gas!!

Krymner

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I thought this was interesting.

As the number of people willing to donate blood has going down in recent years, the U.S. is now facing an increased demand for blood supply. Therefore, the American Red Cross has come up with a plan meant to boost the number of donors, namely they are offering free gas and other gifts to those who donate blood.

The plan is also intended to keep the high level of blood donations coming in through the summer months, as the supply usually decreases during this period of the year, because they are not able to go to high schools and recruit more donors.

A study published in the May 21 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association revealed that young donors aged 17 and 18 are the most involved in blood donations. At the same time, the rate of donations from older individuals has declined.

The new plan coming from the American Red Cross will offer those donating blood the chance to win free gas among other gifts and such. And with gas prices now exceeding $4 in some places around the U.S., the Red Cross is hoping to make more people donate blood, thus helping their peers in need.

In order to be a good donation candidate, one must meet certain criteria, including a weight of at least 110 pounds.

Also, donors are urged to drink lots of water, get a good night’s sleep and eat a nutritious meal before donating blood in order to avoid donation-related problems.
Too bad it says "the chance to win free gas" or I would do it. If it was giving gas away for blood straight up, I would definatly donate.

So what do you think is the blood-to-gas conversion rate?

1 pint of blood = 1 gallon of gas ???

Last time I tryed giving blood my first arm quite giving blood. Then as I was walking over towards the table with cookies everything became dark. I woke up with some girl with a rank helping me up.

I give blood regularly.

They always give out cool stuff like a 70s-style tshirt or umbrella.

Obviously it's an hour of your time (IE not a moneymaker) but you're doing a good thing.

[quote name='camoor']I give blood regularly.

They always give out cool stuff like a 70s-style tshirt or umbrella.

Obviously it's an hour of your time (IE not a moneymaker) but you're doing a good thing.[/QUOTE]
This is ture. It was so stupid where I use to work they would have it 3 times a year but me and almost everyone els wasnt able to cause everyone was to busy.

Last time I gave blood was in 1999. Swore never to give blood after my girlfriend and I had an HIV Scare in 2003. Actually she was the one who had the scare, but I got myself tested just in case...luckily we were both negative...

the free clinic gave us 25 multi-colored condoms each. Boy that was a fun summer :booty:

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Sorry, no more blood for oil.[/QUOTE]

url

The reason why people don't donate blood is because the thing is run by bullshit fools.

You can't give blood if you visit England for more than 6 months, can't give blood if you are gay, can't give blood if you are breathing. :roll:

If you're physically able, you really should be giving blood anyway. You shouldn't need to get something in return. That's why they call it a donation.

I would definitely donate as much as I could but I'm under 110 pounds. I wonder what the rationale is behind this. For short people under 110 pounds can be healthy.

[quote name='bigdaddy']The reason why people don't donate blood is because the thing is run by bullshit fools.

You can't give blood if you visit England for more than 6 months, can't give blood if you are gay, can't give blood if you are breathing. :roll:[/quote]

England - is that because of mad cow?

That aside, the rules do make sense. I'm all for freedom of choice but it doesn't mean I want blood from someone because of some BS PC reasoning trumping genuine health considerations.

[quote name='emdub']If you're physically able, you really should be giving blood anyway. You shouldn't need to get something in return. That's why they call it a donation.[/quote]

True. To be honest I'd give blood anyway but it is nice to get a token gift at the end..

It's not about your weight being healthy DoK, it's for your benefit they won't take blood. Most of the time I'm right on the weight line, so I've been denied and given the go ahead. They take a lot of blood, and it effects smaller people harder. I have seen people walk out just fine, I am always struggling afterwards.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I would definitely donate as much as I could but I'm under 110 pounds. I wonder what the rationale is behind this. For short people under 110 pounds can be healthy.[/quote]

Then it's time to put some meat on them bones!!! Go to the gym, work out, build some muscle and gain a few pounds then they will take you.

[quote name='squid']It's not about your weight being healthy DoK, it's for your benefit they won't take blood. Most of the time I'm right on the weight line, so I've been denied and given the go ahead. They take a lot of blood, and it effects smaller people harder. I have seen people walk out just fine, I am always struggling afterwards.[/quote]

I don't struggle, I just want to get out of there as soon as possible.

[quote name='squid']It's not about your weight being healthy DoK, it's for your benefit they won't take blood. Most of the time I'm right on the weight line, so I've been denied and given the go ahead. They take a lot of blood, and it effects smaller people harder. I have seen people walk out just fine, I am always struggling afterwards.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'm sure someday when I'm older I'll weigh enough to give blood, maybe after having kids. :lol:

the england thing is because of mad cow. same with any travel to europe. no visiting africa, or sex with anyone from africa. no tattoos within 1 year. no msm (men having sex with men) since 1977. those are all to make sure your blood is safe for others.

the weight rule, blood pressure and hematocrit are to make sure you're able to loose a pint.
I've given about 7 galllons, since I was 20. Plus I'm O neg, cmv neg so my blood is reserved for newborns.

I work in a hospital lab/blood bank too.

[quote name='eldergamer']Plus I'm O neg, cmv neg so my blood is reserved for newborns.[/quote]

I'm O pos, cmv neg, and always getting hit up for another donation.

I think your blood is more versatile then mine (mine is just rare)

I gave a double red once - now that was a tough one.

[quote name='camoor']England - is that because of mad cow?
[/quote]

Yep.

And the rules would make sense if there had been more than one outbreak of Mad Cow in the history of the world.

Plus the gay thing is just bullshit, of course you could just lie and say you are "straight". If you are a "straight" whore you can give blood, but if you are a safe gay man you can't?

[quote name='bigdaddy']Yep.

And the rules would make sense if there had been more than one outbreak of Mad Cow in the history of the world.

Plus the gay thing is just bullshit, of course you could just lie and say you are "straight". If you are a "straight" whore you can give blood, but if you are a safe gay man you can't?[/quote]

I don't really want to go off on a tangent, but there's alot of evidence that AIDs is much more easily and prevelantly passed between gay men and drug users then heterosexuals.

It's not like the govt is going to advertise this (they're still preaching abstinence for goodness sakes) but the statistics don't lie.

I would donate blood, but I HATE the damn American Red Cross for sooooo many reasons its not even funny.

1 small reason (among many) is them trying to sue my business for using a Red Cross in our logo (the cross we used was tilted, had a boarder around it, and had out name super imposed over the cross) For most logos, that perfectly acceptable, but apparently the Red Cross has some sort of federal protection, which was made back in the early 1900's but still applies today.

we got a letter from them with a professional made pamphlet telling us all the "dangers" of suing their logo (one actually said "if someone mistook your sign for the actual red cross, it may cost them their life")

its nice to see peoples donations going toward a good cause, suing small business and paying to have pamphlets made. oh and the CEO's bloated 7 figure salary. I also found it funny how Johnson and Johnson is suing the red cross for stealing their logo (J and J started using it in the late 1800's and the Red Cross started in the early 1900's)

sorry, the red cross just really make my blood boil (no pun intended)

rant off

Actual for the donation of blood by gay men, it is mandated by the FDA that they are not allowed to collect blood from men who have had sex with men. If they were to break this they would be penalized $50,000 for each instance. They actually have petitioned the FDA to allow they to collect but they FDA won't allow it.

I donate frequently and never get free stuff except for the occasional sandwich or slice of pizza, I suspect because drives at universities tend not to need benefits to draw people in (I've seen plenty of people with no appointment turned away).

And I find the whole can't donate if you're gay thing extremely disturbing, I always wondered why it hasn't turned into more of a political issue (I suspect/hope the restriction may silently disappear next year)

I'd be more inclined to give (for free) if I had a guarantee about the training of the people taking the sample. Six months of college at Remington is not acceptable to me.

Oh... "win" ha...

[quote name='emdub']If you're physically able, you really should be giving blood anyway. You shouldn't need to get something in return. That's why they call it a donation.[/quote]

I'd agree it's just, last time I had a needle stuck in me, they were fishing and hit a nerve instead. My whole arm was numb for almost a week. Yet I could see damn veins in front of me as she was fishing. Yeah...

[quote name='camoor']I don't really want to go off on a tangent, but there's alot of evidence that AIDs is much more easily and prevelantly passed between gay men and drug users then heterosexuals.
.[/quote]

:roll:

If you really believe that than you are one huge dumb-fucker.

Like I said, you can be a heterosexual whore who sleeps around with 10 different men or woman a week without protection. Yet you can use protection and have sex with the same sex once within the last 25+ years and not give blood? That's fucking bullshit.

Also are you saying that they don't test the blood for AIDS and Hepatitis in heterosexual donors?

bread's done
Back