Giving out Negatives like it's going out of style...

briansraregames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
This has been really bugging me ever since the new feedback policy hit ebay. I have gotten more negatives in the last two months than i have in the last three years in ebay. Buyers can't wait to leave a negative these days, now that there is no chance of getting one from a seller. They don't want to talk, they just leave negatives and let paypal figure it out for them...it sickens me. I really think that there should be a waiting period before leaving a negative feedback, it can't go on like this anymore.
[/rant]

[quote name='briansraregames']This has been really bugging me ever since the new feedback policy hit ebay. I have gotten more negatives in the last two months than i have in the last three years in ebay. Buyers can't wait to leave a negative these days, now that there is no chance of getting one from a seller. They don't want to talk, they just leave negatives and let paypal figure it out for them...it sickens me. I really think that there should be a waiting period before leaving a negative feedback, it can't go on like this anymore.
[/rant][/quote]

so far its been the same for me. either they leave my positives or no feedback at all.(this is the most annoying) they actually email me saying they recieved and love the item but dont spend a couple more seconds leaving me feedback.

buyers dont usually leave bad feedback unless the description is not accurate
*points finger*......jk jk

[quote name='lilchubz11']so far its been the same for me. either they leave my positives or no feedback at all.(this is the most annoying) they actually email me saying they recieved and love the item but dont spend a couple more seconds leaving me feedback.

buyers dont usually leave bad feedback unless the description is not accurate
*points finger*......jk jk[/QUOTE]

I am the same way, either positive or no feedback.

Yeah I just started selling not to long ago and im still waiting on feedback.. what is so hard about doing it? I leave feedback right away after someone pays and never get it back, maybe I should wait.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Yeah I just started selling not to long ago and im still waiting on feedback.. what is so hard about doing it? I leave feedback right away after someone pays and never get it back, maybe I should wait.[/quote]

Same here, sold my first 2 items not to long ago and had to ask the buyer to leave me feedback, which he/she did but I should not have to ask them to do it.

[quote name='eliter1']Same here, sold my first 2 items not to long ago and had to ask the buyer to leave me feedback, which he/she did but I should not have to ask them to do it.[/quote]

I have 3 buyers that all got the items about a month ago and even after requesting feedback nicely in an email I still got nothing... It is hard to rack up feedback on there when you new just like here and it irks me to know end when you left it for them and they can not do it back,,,,, :bomb:

I sold over 50 items in the past 2 months. Probably 10 people left feedback. Before, people would leave me feedback without a problem. Now, I had to mass email them.

Well when I heard about the new feedback system I tried to sell as much as possible before it went into effect and I'm glad I did. I figured that there would be an increase in unwarranted negatives along with many buyers who will just not bother with feedback. I have some stuff I need to get rid of, but at this point except for certain items, I think I will stick with Goozex and the trading forums

It's a shame the system doesn't work like Goozex, in which positive feedback is automatically given by the system after a set period if the buyer doesn't leave it.

i have probably over 30 feedback I never received from last year. Usually it's the same as what the others mentioned before me as well, positive or nothing. I do think it's ridiculous though, buyers can't do whatever sh** they want to sellers.

I seem to have just run into buyers that don't leave it period, stuff I sell for 20 buyers leave right away, stuff I sell for a few hundred buyers don't leave me squat. I guess I would still take that over a negative though.

i dont really care for feedback as much as i did before. ive lost so many in the past 2 years its hard to chase after someone for a feedback. why exactly are they leaving you with bad feedbacks though?

I am getting no feedback from sellers at all.... even though I left positives..

I have another chunk of stuff to sell over the next few weeks so we will see what happens... I have 468 positives and no negatives with 4.8-4.9 on the star systems. I am very thorough... if I get a negative for some bullshit reason now I will be pissed.

Unless you are a power seller who needs constant feedback for the ratings system or a newbie that needs feedback to make buyers more comfortable, I don't see why people care about not getting any feedback. As long as you aren't getting negatives, what's the big deal?

[quote name='Ryukahn']Unless you are a power seller who needs constant feedback for the ratings system or a newbie that needs feedback to make buyers more comfortable, I don't see why people care about not getting any feedback. As long as you aren't getting negatives, what's the big deal?[/quote]Have to agree. Although it would be nice if all buyers left positive feedbacks or at least consulted with you if there was a problem, I have over 400 positives and at this point in time, 1 more doesn't make a difference.

As long as payment is received timely and a negative feedback isn't left, it's good enough these days. I suppose when a buyer doesn't leave a positive feedback, it hangs in your head knowing that there is still a potential for a negative popping up out of nowhere.

I do agree with others though regarding why it's so difficult for buyers to leave a feedback. It takes maybe all of 5 seconds, 10 if you type slow. I always leave a positive feedback for sellers within a day or two after receiving and testing or inspecting the item.

That's what I was afraid of, when I get my first negative on this new system and lose my 100% positive I am going to be annoyed (I had 3 negatives but they were all old so I went back to 100% positive)

[quote name='grendel19']Have to agree. Although it would be nice if all buyers left positive feedbacks or at least consulted with you if there was a problem, I have over 400 positives and at this point in time, 1 more doesn't make a difference.

As long as payment is received timely and a negative feedback isn't left, it's good enough these days. I suppose when a buyer doesn't leave a positive feedback, it hangs in your head knowing that there is still a potential for a negative popping up out of nowhere.

I do agree with others though regarding why it's so difficult for buyers to leave a feedback. It takes maybe all of 5 seconds, 10 if you type slow. I always leave a positive feedback for sellers within a day or two after receiving and testing or inspecting the item.[/quote]

Well the issue with getting no feedback with this new system means that when you do get a negative it hurts your feedback % that much more. That % shows up on all your listings and it impacts if people will bid on your auction and how much they will bid, so indirectly, having buyers giving no feedback more often than before hurts your auction's final values. Then again, people might have taken that into account and now that instead of only bidding on items from sellers with 98%+ positive feedback they feel comfortable bidding on items from sellers with 95%+ feedback. Who knows.

Looking at it from a personal level, this really hurts smaller sellers who only sell maybe 10 things a month or only sell a few things here and there to clear out some games. If I sold 10 things a month and usually got 9 positives & 1 negative before they changed the system then my feedback % is 90% and still pretty good. Now if I sell 10 and only get 6 positives 3 no feedbacks and 1 negative its 85%, so the no feedbacks foul things up.

I have 300+ feedback on ebay and I'm not going to go chasing people and messaging them to leave feedback at this point. I'm just going to post fewer auctions there and focus on trading or Goozex.

Descriptions are more important now. be very thorough and ship on time. If they leave you a neg after all that, then they're a sociopath.

I've seen some people with "negative positives"- the seller leaves a nasty note in all caps. I'm not sure how effective that is :lol:

...also I noticed eBay takes the feedback percentage from that last 12 months. Was that always the case? I thought it used to be the lifetime of the account. Guess not.. so I guess that's good if you do get a neg feedback, you'll be back to 100% positive in 12 months (assuming you don't get more).

I've only gotten 1 neg.. he misunderstood the item description. It was an KVM that worked over the cat-5/IP cable. He thought he could use the KVM over th internet. Take control of his monitor, screen, and keyboard from anywhere in the world that has an ip connection. I used that cat-5/ip cable term because that is what Raritan (the company to made it) put it their description. I offer a refund, but he still wanted to keep it.. AND he still gave me negative feedback saying the title was misleading. DOH!! owell.. it will roll off in 9 months!!

s701

Honestly, I've actually gotten more feedback since the new system went into place than I did for a long while. I still don't have a negative or neutral but I know I'll get some sooner or later.

I have yet to leave a negative or neutral since the new system went up though... I was thinking I'd leave negs/neutrals without worry but so far, all of my purchases have gone very well.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Brian, I'm guessing you get more trouble from buyers as you sell on a massive scale.

the best way to not get a negative is to not deceive ur buyers and to fully deliver the product u promised... failure to do so will result in a negative, period. just be an honest ebayer, be cautious, be courteous, and you'll be fine.

Got another negative today.

Buyer purchases an item on monday the 16th and pays for priority shipping. The buyer emails me late friday the 20th on its status, I apologize to them and tell them that I had yet to ship it, I tell them that I'd be happy to just refund them if they like, but they say they still want it so I tell them that I'll express mail it on saturday. Dropped it off saturday morning, buyer received the game on monday the 23rd, leaves me a negative feedback on the 24th:

"Forgot to ship, and didn't refund shipping, took 2 weeks instead of 2 days."

I never told them that I'd refund their shipping. It did not take two weeks, it took 7 days. I live in Indiana, they live in California, in all likelihood, they wouldn't have got it via priority mail before then anyways even had the package gone out on time.

I really don't know what to do. This kind of thing is really driving me crazy. I don't buy much on ebay, so I don't know much about having bad buyer experiences. Isn't negative feedback designed to expose truly horrible experiences? You know, someone who completely and without remorse rips you off? I mean if I was in the buyers shoes and knew that it was an honest mistake and the seller followed through on his promise, I would leave a positive. I mean, I'd understand getting a neutral for a situation like this, but a negative?

[quote name='cheapassVigilante']the best way to not get a negative is to not deceive ur buyers and to fully deliver the product u promised... failure to do so will result in a negative, period. just be an honest ebayer, be cautious, be courteous, and you'll be fine.[/quote]

Is that directed at me?

[quote name='briansraregames']Got another negative today.

Buyer purchases an item on monday the 16th and pays for priority shipping. The buyer emails me late friday the 20th on its status, I apologize to them and tell them that I had yet to ship it, I tell them that I'd be happy to just refund them if they like, but they say they still want it so I tell them that I'll express mail it on saturday. Dropped it off saturday morning, buyer received the game on monday the 23rd, leaves me a negative feedback on the 24th:

"Forgot to ship, and didn't refund shipping, took 2 weeks instead of 2 days."

I never told them that I'd refund their shipping. It did not take two weeks, it took 7 days. I live in Indiana, they live in California, in all likelihood, they wouldn't have got it via priority mail before then anyways even had the package gone out on time.

I really don't know what to do. This kind of thing is really driving me crazy. I don't buy much on ebay, so I don't know much about having bad buyer experiences. Isn't negative feedback designed to expose truly horrible experiences? You know, someone who completely and without remorse rips you off? I mean if I was in the buyers shoes and knew that it was an honest mistake and the seller followed through on his promise, I would leave a positive. I mean, I'd understand getting a neutral for a situation like this, but a negative?

Is that directed at me?[/QUOTE]

Sounds more like you just have horrid luck or just attract assholes. I won a hard drive on Sunday, guy emails me today saying sorry out of town can't ship until Friday, fine no big deal. And btw in case you didn't know neutral counts against you like a negative now. As for the intent of negative feedback, if the buyer feels it was a negative experience that is all it takes, new system allows for some super petty negatives but at least they disappear in a year.

While the negative wasn't warranted, if you offer priority shipping and someone pays for it, you better make it your priority to ship it out. It should've been sent out Wednesday at the latest, not Saturday after a reminder. I'm a former eBay seller with 300+ feedback and never offered anything other than First Class Mail/Parcel Post for that exact reason. Had that been me and I paid for priority shipping, I'd be pissed too. Probably not pissed enough to give you a negative, but maybe a neutral if I was in a bad mood that day. I think the reason they wanted a refund on the shipping is because they paid for priority and you didn't send it priority. Bottom line is if you can't ship it priority, don't offer it.

It's not fair, but I say we all leave neg feedback no matter what you buy something on Ebay. If enough people do it, the feedback system becomes invalidated and collapses. I'm pretty sure Ebay would have to look at an alternative.
Or, considering that Ebay did something stupid like this in the first place, maybe they'd ignore it.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']It's not fair, but I say we all leave neg feedback no matter what you buy something on Ebay. If enough people do it, the feedback system becomes invalidated and collapses. I'm pretty sure Ebay would have to look at an alternative.
Or, considering that Ebay did something stupid like this in the first place, maybe they'd ignore it.[/quote]

You do realize almost everything eBay has done has made little to no sense right? So much so that they made several 1-hour specials about eBay and their practices. Like constantly raising seller fees even though they continue to make money hand over fist year after year. Instead of doing what normal businesses do like lower prices and encourage new customers/sellers to join, they seem to love alienating more and more people as time goes on.

I sell on Amazon almost exclusively now. The only items I sell on Ebay anymore are items that Amazon has locked down for "pre-approved" sellers only. I haven't sold anything on Ebay for awhile, but when I did, my policy for feedback was to wait 2 weeks after the estimated delivery date, send 1 reminder email, then leave it at that. Wasn't worth my time to hound someone to leave feedback since they would probably just leave negative feedback.

My feedback is over 700 but I haven't sold anything at all since they enacted the new policies. I'm actually a little afraid to. It was bad enough that people would often give me low ratings in shipping time because it took them 5-7 days to receive something after paying.
Oh yeah... FROM JAPAN!!!! Some people are just too wrapped up in themselves and somehow they believe that you should simply teleport to the PO the second they click the make payment button.

[quote name='Nikadimas']While the negative wasn't warranted, if you offer priority shipping and someone pays for it, you better make it your priority to ship it out. It should've been sent out Wednesday at the latest, not Saturday after a reminder. I'm a former eBay seller with 300+ feedback and never offered anything other than First Class Mail/Parcel Post for that exact reason. Had that been me and I paid for priority shipping, I'd be pissed too. Probably not pissed enough to give you a negative, but maybe a neutral if I was in a bad mood that day. I think the reason they wanted a refund on the shipping is because they paid for priority and you didn't send it priority. Bottom line is if you can't ship it priority, don't offer it.[/quote]

If this was anything other than a gameboy advance game, this would never have happened. I ship disc games priority all the time, throw it in a bubble mailer, slap a label on it, done, never have a problem. My biggest concern was getting the buyer his game in mint shape. I just didn't have the supplies on hand to ship it properly...and I put it off a day, then another day, then another, everyday planning on stopping and picking up some boxes, but something always came up...it happens. I'm really more pissed about his reaction to something that he agreed to and seemed fine with in the emails that we exchanged on friday night.

[quote name='Nikadimas']You do realize almost everything eBay has done has made little to no sense right? So much so that they made several 1-hour specials about eBay and their practices. Like constantly raising seller fees even though they continue to make money hand over fist year after year. Instead of doing what normal businesses do like lower prices and encourage new customers/sellers to join, they seem to love alienating more and more people as time goes on.[/QUOTE]
Right, I know. But now they've gone too far. They've made it literally impossible to function as a seller in a normal sense.

Here's the real kicker for me. I had someone buy a ps3 from me, then bounce a check on me and never respond to my attempts to contact them. Fortunately I know better than to have sent during this time, but here are my options: Positive feedback, or no feedback.

Sorry other sellers, I have no way to warn you about this Ebayer who wants to rip you off...

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']

Looking at it from a personal level, this really hurts smaller sellers who only sell maybe 10 things a month or only sell a few things here and there to clear out some games. If I sold 10 things a month and usually got 9 positives & 1 negative before they changed the system then my feedback % is 90% and still pretty good. Now if I sell 10 and only get 6 positives 3 no feedbacks and 1 negative its 85%, so the no feedbacks foul things up.

I have 300+ feedback on ebay and I'm not going to go chasing people and messaging them to leave feedback at this point. I'm just going to post fewer auctions there and focus on trading or Goozex.[/QUOTE]

I saw a "Biography" type show on Ebay and they came right out and admitted that they actually prefer for smaller sellers to get run off. Ebay has reached the size now where they don't need the "everyman" anymore and it's more profitable for them to cater to the big sellers even if it means they lose the smaller sellers.

In short, unless you are at the gold/platinum power seller level they don't care whether you leave or not, and threatening to take your business elsewhere likely just gives Ebay a collective chuckle at your expense.

[quote name='Nikadimas'] I think the reason they wanted a refund on the shipping is because they paid for priority and you didn't send it priority. [/quote]
He did send it priority mail. He used the service the buyer paid for. That's all a seller's required to do.

The buyer paid Monday.
The buyer received just 5 business days later.
The buyer is just being a ____. Reminds me of an impatient child.

[quote name='rrrrrroger']He did send it priority mail. He used the service the buyer paid for. That's all a seller's required to do.

The buyer paid Monday.
The buyer received just 5 business days later.
The buyer is just being a ____. Reminds me of an impatient child.[/QUOTE]
Actually, didn't he send it Express? To compensate for shipping late?

I'm not trying to offend you Brian but I have to play devil's advocate here.

I would've been pissed too if I paid for Priority Shipping and the seller didn't bother to send it for four or five days. I know things come up but isn't this a business you're trying to run? I think alot of negatives get left because sellers act like this is just a hobby. Unless you had a serious family, medical, or financial emergency, you should've shipped the game in a couple days tops. At the least, you should've refunded the extra he paid for it to get there priority.

It's not impatience. It's expecting what you paid for. Let's say you ran a brick and mortar store. If someone came in and paid for an item that you had in the back, would you sit around and make them wait for a couple hours because "something came up"? Would you make them come back there and see what's going on only to find out you're on the phone with someone else or eating lunch?

Just to be clear, I own my own business. I've skipped lunch many times because clients or candidates needed me for something. I make it a priority to make sure that they are taken care of and satisfied with my services. Otherwise, word of mouth will get out and my business will tank. It's kind of like the feedback system but dirtier. I don't complain about it though. It's the way it is and I can just adapt to it or find another profession.

Well im in the boat of needing Feedback to make more people confident in bidding or buying from me.

I have sold a bunch of items and have got little to no feedback in return yet I have given at least 25-30 positives out after payment.

some of the people that I have left feedback for is now over a month.. its a shame there is really no penalty on thier end for not taking a few seconds to do it.

WRITE:

"I hope you are enjoying your item! Thank you for your business. I have left positive feedback for you. Pleaser eturn the favor and leave + feedback for me too. Thanks."

[quote name='briansraregames']fuck it...next time I'm just going to straight up lie. Being upfront and honest only gets you headaches.[/quote]

like i said this only leads to more problems. if u say "game has manual" but it deosnt (which i have done on numerous occasions) it gets u into hot water (bad news, etc.). btw i have purchased on u from ebay a few times and ive had nothing but good experiences from u. and i gave u good fb for that but that was on my old account before i ran into some problems with ebay.

[quote name='briansraregames']fuck it...next time I'm just going to straight up lie. Being upfront and honest only gets you headaches.[/quote]

Why did you even start this thread? I understand selling on ebay sucks ass but you're not helping yourself.

As a seller and a buyer, I've always detested sellers than do not leave feedback until a buyer does. That is the exact opposite of how transactions should go.

If someone paypal'd me right when the auction ended, I would immediately leave feedback, as at that point, they have fulfilled their obligation. If I shipped slow, or shipped an item that did not measure up to what I described in the auction, I'd deserve a negative at that point.

In fact, the one negative I ever got in 9 years of ebay was from a seller pissed that I left him a negative. His item was not what he described, he ignored my emails asking for resolution, then left me a negative after I left him one.

Holding a "you better leave me positive or I'll hit you right back with a negative" hammer is just an excuse for shoddy auctions/shipping/customer service.

I still think sellers should be able to leave a negative for non-payment by a buyer, but that is all. In fact, I'd like to see paypal hold their funds, but notify them. The funds would then be instantly released when the seller left positive feedback (which they should be obligated to do if the buyer paid them). There should then be a seperate category for "failed to attempt resolution" feedback. People who left negatives without attempting to resolve would then accrue these, and been seen as potentially troublesome buyers.

Anyhow, I am glad to see the end of sellers holding a "negative feedback retaliation" card, and using it as an excuse for crappy service.

The reason I've done it the way you detest is that I fear they will complain (unfairly) about the item when it arrives, leave me a negative, and force a return while they retain the positive you left. I think a transaction should be complete (as far as the shipping, item being received, and acknowledged as received as described) before any feedback is left on either side.

[quote name='jimflox']As a seller and a buyer, I've always detested sellers than do not leave feedback until a buyer does. That is the exact opposite of how transactions should go.

If someone paypal'd me right when the auction ended, I would immediately leave feedback, as at that point, they have fulfilled their obligation. If I shipped slow, or shipped an item that did not measure up to what I described in the auction, I'd deserve a negative at that point.

In fact, the one negative I ever got in 9 years of ebay was from a seller pissed that I left him a negative. His item was not what he described, he ignored my emails asking for resolution, then left me a negative after I left him one.

Holding a "you better leave me positive or I'll hit you right back with a negative" hammer is just an excuse for shoddy auctions/shipping/customer service.

I still think sellers should be able to leave a negative for non-payment by a buyer, but that is all. In fact, I'd like to see paypal hold their funds, but notify them. The funds would then be instantly released when the seller left positive feedback (which they should be obligated to do if the buyer paid them). There should then be a seperate category for "failed to attempt resolution" feedback. People who left negatives without attempting to resolve would then accrue these, and been seen as potentially troublesome buyers.

Anyhow, I am glad to see the end of sellers holding a "negative feedback retaliation" card, and using it as an excuse for crappy service.[/QUOTE]

You make some valid points, i've seen sellers do it over and over though thankfully never had it happen to me. But personally as a seller I completely stopped giving feedback first, but not for the same reasons. One day I was sitting around and noticed I had given out about 250 more feedback then received, the simple fix to that is stop. When a buyer doesn't receive feedback they seem a lot more ready to give it instead which in turn helped my own feedback grow a lot faster. So for me that is the only reason I don't automatically give feedback once someone has paid. Like someone mentioned the feedback system needs to be more like goozex, after 20 or 30 days you automatically get a positive unless the buyer jumps up and says something.

I wait until feedback is given first. Ebay's turning into shit, and after I'm selling with that I am now, I'll probably be done for good. I just hope this last experience is good. I'll stick to this site and craigslist where I don't deal with fees and shady people. (for the most part)

I've had people not give feedback before as well. More often sellers than buyers, unfortunately.

I always give feedback. If I'm selling, I give feedback right after payment is received, and I've never had fear or, nor gotten a negative from a buyer. I describe my items accurately and ship out promptly, so no fears.

I oftentimes do not get feedback from "bulk" or "mega" sellers. These people seem too intent on shipping out massive quantities of junk, and pay little attention to the details.

My feedback is 137, it should probably be in the range of 160-170, but for sellers not leaving feedback, despite my always paying promptly.

I'll say it again to sellers... if someone pays promptly, they have fulfilled their end of the deal. Leave them feedback. If you describe your item for sale accurately and ship without delay, you will have nothing to fear with regards to negative feedback.

As far as "things coming up"... that is no excuse not to ship out. I will not put up an auction unless I'm sure I can ship the item out the same day the auction ends. We're talking about basic personal responsibility at that point. If you've posted an auction, the seller has every right to expect you to ship out right away. It is your responsibility as an adult and ebay seller to get the item shipped. If you cannot, then do not sell.

[quote name='eliter1'] sold my first 2 items not to long ago and had to ask the buyer to leave me feedback, which he/she did but I should not have to ask them to do it.[/QUOTE]

Feedback is optional. No one is required to leave it.

bread's done
Back