giving your social security number on an online job application

steve_k

CAGiversary!
I did some research and found on the Indeed.com salary calculator that the expected salary for a Gamecrazy store manager in Houston, Texas is $58,000. I was doubtful this information was correct, but did not want to overlook a potential job with a higher than expected salary because of ignorance or a pessimistic attitude.

I drove to the nearest Gamcrazy and asked the general manager if the information I found was correct, and he verified it to be accurate. I know you are never, ever supposed to bring up the issue of compensation to a potential employer, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get my hopes up for a minimum wage paying job. After all, I have a masters degree and earned a high salary with my last position and believe I am entitled to more than minimum wage. Maybe I'm arrogant for saying such a thing, but that is besides the point.

I brought my resume to the store manager and asked if I met the qualifications for a career in management. He told me he could not look at my resume because protocall dictates that anyone interested in a job needs to apply online. I persuaded him to take a look and afterwards asked for an interview. He told me I first had to submit my resume online.

I asked if my social security number would be a requirement for the online application process, and he confirmed it would be required. I told him I would provide my social security number in person after a preliminary job interview because I do not feel comfortable providing my social security number on an online application because of the risks associated with identity theft. He would not accept an interview without an online application.

Do you feel comfortable providing a social security number on an online job application? I personally do not trust Gamecrazy, Gamestop, or any retailer. What is there to assure me that these companies treat social security numbers with confidentiality? How do I know my social security number will not be found by some teenager looking to have some fun by stealing someone identity and buying a bunch of stuff? Am I supposed to assume that anyone affiliated with GameCrazy will have no intentions of taking advantage of another person for their own personal benefit?

Before someone accuses me of not accepting the newly established procedures for applying for a job in the 21st century, I would first like to mention that I've submitted plenty of resumes online for non-retail establishments and have not had to provide my social security number during the application process. The only time I have noticed a social security number to be a requirement of an online application has been for retail companies or when the position is offered through a human resource agency on behalf of a company without an internal HR department. In this instance, the social security number is usually provided on paper with a more trust-worthy (older than a teenager) group of people and is not a requirement for the online application procedure.

I don't think it it safe and should not be asked on a job application, but rather should be provided after the employer has decided he/she is interested in hiring the candidate and is ready to do a background check.

This post is not intended to be deragatory to Game Crazy, but rather to the newly adopted principle within the retail industry to require a social security number on an online job application.

I know that for my company we are required to process I-9 eligibilty forms online so that may be the case with Gamecrazy, but the fact that they can't see you person as an alternative seems odd to me. Even with the electronic I-9 (which requires the SSN) employees can still come in person and watch me enter the info because by law I have to actually see the SSN card before I forward it to the government as complete anyway.

[quote name='lordwow']"I personally do not trust Gamecrazy, Gamestop, or any retailer"

Then I wouldn't apply there.[/QUOTE]

I rarely trust anyone I don't know. This even applies to the most honest small companies to widely trusted Fortune 500 companies. These other companies did not require information up front that could get me into a bunch of trouble unlike retail organizations.

You do realize the same people who are going to see your SSN when you apply are going to see it if you get the job right?

[quote name='lordwow']You do realize the same people who are going to see your SSN when you apply are going to see it if you get the job right?[/QUOTE]

If they choose not to interview me, or if there does not exist an opening, I will be at ZERO risk because I never submitted my social security number. If they decide to interview me and afterwards decide to do a background check for a potential employment agreement, I will submit myself to the risk. However, in this case, any misconduct on their behalf will be traceable. If I hand out my social security number to anyone who asks for it and something happens to me, the misconduct will not be traceable.

You're comparing taking a risk for NO reward versus taking a risk with a reward.

Besides, finding a job requires playing the numbers game. You have to submit your resume more than once before you find a job. If everyone has your social security number, you are putting yourself at a far greater risk as opposed to selectively giving out your social security number.

I agree with your position, everyone should be very careful about giving there SSN out. I'm a little surprised they werent able to accomodate for your position, in my experience most places do a pretty good job at this. What would happen if you just put all 5's or "upon request" in the online application? I can't imagine anything too bad, if you're qualified enough they'll probably just call you or ask for it during the interview....

[quote name='kram']I agree with your position, everyone should be very careful about giving there SSN out. I'm a little surprised they werent able to accomodate for your position, in my experience most places do a pretty good job at this. What would happen if you just put all 5's or "upon request" in the online application? I can't imagine anything too bad, if you're qualified enough they'll probably just call you or ask for it during the interview....[/QUOTE]

I thought of this too, and asked the manager 'what if I just enter all zeros for my social security number and give it to you in person after the interview?'. He told me the system would catch it and reject my application because someone would think I was 'some kind of terrorist or something' (his exact words). Also, I am relucatant to enter a false social security number when I have to later sign that all information is true and accurate under penalty of law.

You can't enter 'upon request' on the online application under the social security number field. This field accepts digits only and will not accept characters.

I agree with you on this one- I refuse to enter my SSN on ANY website... one simply cannot guarantee security 100%.

This has come up recently at my work- they've been moving several things to a series of poorly implemented websites, the most recent being an online paystub setup that requires entering your SSN for verification- even if you're just logging int to opt out and receive mailed paper paystubs. I am not pleased. (I'll be using the store's intranet to access the site... my logic being this particular system already has my SSN in it, so there's no added risk.)

Is there any sort of help number or corporate contact you can write to for instruction, or perhaps an in-store way to apply online (keeping your info on the same computers that it'll be entered into anyway)?

If you're looking to apply for a job above dumb labor or minimum wage, you need to give your SSN. If you aren't willing to do it out of paranoia or some unsubstantiated fear, then stick with dumb labor.

There is no reason to provide absolute protection and security to something that does not work for you in return (i.e. Don't treat your SSN is the Holy Grail of your life if you're not willing to use it in securing a job/loan/etc.)

~HotShotX

I certainly wouldn't put my SSN online for just about anything, job or any other application. I'll do it in person. But think about this. If you can't follow the first direction that you're given, why would they want to hire you? You could be a stellar applicant, but if you're ignoring the first directive you're being given, why wouldn't a potential employer think that you'll probably be difficult if you get hired. You truly never get a second chance to make a first impression.

When people come in and ask me for an application, I tell them to take it home and fill it out completely. If they ask to fill it out in the store, they've already failed. I don't really care what reason they may have. I told them to do something. Why would I hire someone who doesn't listen?

[quote name='HotShotX']*bullshit*
~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

You should listen to this guy, he's a professional.

~DarthPuma

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='munch']I'm an elitist asshole with an ugly girlfriend.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

How am I being an elitist asshole by being reluctant to jeopardize my identity to theives? Are you accusing me of being an elitist asshole by claiming to be worthy of more than minimum wage? If you had graduated from college and worked a few years in a professional career and now were nearly 30 years old, wouldn't you have higher standards than when you were a teenager?

I'm not saying I'm too good for anything that pays less than $58,000, but if my research is correct and the job has the potential for a high salary, that would certainly make me reconsider a career I thought only paid half to one third of what I normally would expect.

[quote name='Moxio']I agree with Budge, don't worry about it.

~Moxio ^_~[/QUOTE]

So you're saying to just take a risk and let whatever will happen to happen? I don't know where my social security number will end up if I provide on every job application I attempt to fill out. If I had horrible credit and nothing to be proud of, I would maybe take a chance but I have an identity I want to protect.

The risk may be small, but the consequences are severe.

Well, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to debate this requirement, because then this should probably be in the Vs section. If you're asking our opinion, I say go for it if you need the job and think you've got a good shot.

And Munch wasn't talking to you.

[quote name='Ziv']I certainly wouldn't put my SSN online for just about anything, job or any other application. I'll do it in person. But think about this. If you can't follow the first direction that you're given, why would they want to hire you? You could be a stellar applicant, but if you're ignoring the first directive you're being given, why wouldn't a potential employer think that you'll probably be difficult if you get hired. You truly never get a second chance to make a first impression.

When people come in and ask me for an application, I tell them to take it home and fill it out completely. If they ask to fill it out in the store, they've already failed. I don't really care what reason they may have. I told them to do something. Why would I hire someone who doesn't listen?[/QUOTE]

There is a difference between having the ability to do something and having the willingness to do something. I have the ability to post my credit card number and expiration date on an online forum, but I don't have the willingness to do so.

If you're not comfortable with submitting your social security number online, then don't apply for the job. However, considering the poor job market, don't be surprised that they won't accommodate someone that makes it more difficult for them to evaluate as a potential hire. Remember it's no skin off their back (in their minds) if you don't apply for the job over this, they'll just move on to the next applicant.

[quote name='Moxio']Well, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to debate this requirement, because then this should probably be in the Vs section. If you're asking our opinion, I say go for it if you need the job and think you've got a good shot.

And Munch wasn't talking to you.[/QUOTE]

I'm the only person I know who is looking for a job and I wanted to know if anyone else had the same opinion as I do. It helps me to determine whether I am being rational or not. I believe I am being careful, but if enough people tell me I'm wrong (not just on a forum) I might re-consider.

I did not notice Munch's comment was directed to HotShotX when I replied.

[quote name='Dingleberry']I don't think you're being rational. Anyone who would want your social security number would get it.[/QUOTE]

How would they get my social security number if I did not make it visible for them?

[quote name='steve_k']How would they get my social security number if I did not make it visible for them?[/QUOTE]

The employer would not...but whoever you're worried about having it would. I'm assuming you mean someone who would use it for illegal purposes.

steve, I agree with you on this. A SS# is the gateway to nearly all of your confidential information and not protecting it is just asinine. Pay no heed to those too ignorant to not guard their own. From your description of the situation it sounds like this person doesn't have the desire or ability to see more than one solution to a problem and that is definitely not someone you want to be working for. IMO, you should consider this a dodged bullet and move on.

[quote name='Ziv']When people come in and ask me for an application, I tell them to take it home and fill it out completely. If they ask to fill it out in the store, they've already failed. I don't really care what reason they may have. I told them to do something. Why would I hire someone who doesn't listen?[/QUOTE]

Because they want to impress you with that extra initiative and hope you'll think more highly of them because they're eager.

Or they might be taking a cab to your store to apply for a job since they don't have a car of their own, and they're trying to cut down on cab fare while trying to get a job so they can afford a car.

Dick.

You have a Master's degree and you're applying for a job at Gamecrazy because of a potential salary of $58,000? What kind of Master's do you have?

You should come out west and become a manager at In-N-Out - they can make 6 figures easily, and it's a paper application so instead of submitting your SSN online you only have to turn it into the restaurant. That way it can be seen by everyone who handles it during transportation to the committee reviewing your application, rather than just by the reviewing committee itself if you had submitted an application online.

To be frank there was an article in the New York Times about how SSN numbers were not particularly secure anyways, so don't bitch about having to submit it, it's not a huge deal.

Retail store manager is for high school dropouts... if you've got a masters aim higher, at least hotel manager or some shit

[quote name='steve_k']So you're saying to just take a risk and let whatever will happen to happen? I don't know where my social security number will end up if I provide on every job application I attempt to fill out. If I had horrible credit and nothing to be proud of, I would maybe take a chance but I have an identity I want to protect.

The risk may be small, but the consequences are severe.[/QUOTE]

But you're not providing it to everyone. This seems to be a job that you desire that is one of the few jobs in your area available (with a decent salary). If you want the job, you'll have to accommodate them. With 10% unemployment, they can fill the job easy, with someone who isn't giving them all sorts of hell over the procedure.

I am actually having the same problem right now and I applied online to Gamecrazy on Friday. It's not what I want long term but I've been looking for work in my field all summer and I am done with school in two weeks and still no job. You better believe I'll apply anywhere at this point that is willing to give me a fair shake at the job (although I'll keep looking for a "real" job). I even checked one of the other spots beside manager because I thought it was more likely they would have one of those spots open then the manager spot. I'll clarify that I'd be more than happy to be the manager when I go in in person to give them my resume in the next day or so.

And regardless off the lying under penalty of law, Gamecrazy has a couple of different agencies do background checks on you. The online application also has a long personality profile test. I can guarantee you that the first thing they do with the apps is run the profile tests. The ones they don't like they probably don't even look at before they trash them. The rest, likely get the BG checks. If a former employer is missing from your history or if info is wrong, they are probably highly likely to not be giving you a callback.

Bottom line, if this is a job you are desiring (or even willing to settle for like myself), just get off your high horse and apply. Like someone said, if someone wants your identity, they'll get it.

Give them your social security number if you can't find a better job.

Review your credit report once a year for the next seven years.

If anybody steals your identity in the next seven years, sue Gamecrazy.

Yeah Steve_K. What kind of douchebag says they don't personally trust a company and then want to work for them? That and I'm sure if you do have a "Master's Degree" "COUGH COUGH", because if you did you would really be trying to get a management job with Game Crazy, a job that they passout randomly to the least stoned highschool kid that works for them, you would have an excessive debt load of student loans and wouldn't give a fuck if someone stole your worthless personal and finanical identity because with that excessive debt load you won't be able to use your own finanical info to even get a car loan for the next several years because your debt-to-income ratio is already through the roof with your "loan payments" for your "Master's Degree".

[quote name='Moffman82']Yeah Steve_K. What kind of douchebag says they don't personally trust a company and then want to work for them? That and I'm sure if you do have a "Master's Degree" "COUGH COUGH", because if you did you would really be trying to get a management job with Game Crazy, a job that they passout randomly to the least stoned highschool kid that works for them, you would have an excessive debt load of student loans and wouldn't give a fuck if someone stole your worthless personal and finanical identity because with that excessive debt load you won't be able to use your own finanical info to even get a car loan for the next several years because your debt-to-income ratio is already through the roof with your "loan payments" for your "Master's Degree".[/QUOTE]

Crude but surprisingly accurate.

It isn't like the OP is going to buy a house or a car with a reasonable interest rate without a few years of consistent employment history.

EDIT: I do remember not applying to a company because they wanted to run my credit report. I showed them by delivering pizzas for another 8 months.

I wouldn't worry about it to much personally, as long as the website is secure (https). I wouldn't think an application site like that would be a high risk target for hackers.

But I've entered my SS# online a few times for opening bank accounts online and other things, so I'm not all that terribly cautious about it. I just make sure it's a legit site, is a secured and don't worry much about it after that. I probably should be more cautious, but I'm just not one to take more than the basic precautions with that kind of stuff.

[quote name='Moffman82']Yeah Steve_K. What kind of douchebag says they don't personally trust a company and then want to work for them? That and I'm sure if you do have a "Master's Degree" "COUGH COUGH", because if you did you would really be trying to get a management job with Game Crazy, a job that they passout randomly to the least stoned highschool kid that works for them, you would have an excessive debt load of student loans and wouldn't give a fuck if someone stole your worthless personal and finanical identity because with that excessive debt load you won't be able to use your own finanical info to even get a car loan for the next several years because your debt-to-income ratio is already through the roof with your "loan payments" for your "Master's Degree".[/QUOTE]

1. I said I do not trust them because I trust no one with confidential information who I have not met. It is the truth that there do exist people of unscrupulous nature, and to ignore this is foolish. Gamestop and Gamecrazy employees are usually younger than those within other industries, and younger people typically have a greater tendency towards deviant behavior because they have less to loose than an older adult.

2. I have an MBA from a state accredited university (brick and morter, not a phony online degree) with a 4.00 grade point average and an undergraduate degree from the same university in general business with a 4.00 grade point average. This is from a popular traditional university with over 16,000 students and a business college fully accredited by the AACSB International. In fact, I always bring my transcipt to an interview to prove my degrees. These aren't University of Phoenix or American Contintenal Online degrees.

3. With an economy as dismal as it currently is, I think $58,000 a year is an excellent salary for a business major with only 3 years professional work experience. I honestly doubt they would promote a complete dumbass or failure to an annual salary of $58,000. So what if it is within the retail industry?

4. My debt has been paid.

[quote name='Moffman82']and I'm sure if you do have a "Master's Degree" "COUGH COUGH", [/QUOTE]

Why is it hard to believe someone with a masters degree would consider working with GameCrazy if the potential salary is high enough? Lots of people have Masters degrees. In fact, I would estimate that in a metropolitan complex, roughly half of all people aged 25 or older have at least a 4-year bachelors degree and 20% of all people have a masters degree or higher.

Of those whom are unemployed, the ratio of educated people is likely to be signifcantly higher than the estimates above considering the massive layoffs that have taken place this year. I would estimate that 75% of all unemployed people aged 25 or older have a bachelors degree and 25% have at least a masters degree.

It's not uncommon at all.

[quote name='steve_k']1. I said I do not trust them because I trust no one with confidential information who I have not met. It is the truth that there do exist people of unscrupulous nature, and to ignore this is foolish. Gamestop and Gamecrazy employees are usually younger than those within other industries, and younger people typically have a greater tendency towards deviant behavior because they have less to loose than an older adult.

2. I have an MBA from a state accredited university (brick and morter, not a phony online degree) with a 4.00 grade point average and an undergraduate degree from the same university in general business with a 4.00 grade point average. This is from a popular traditional university with over 16,000 students and a business college fully accredited by the AACSB International. In fact, I always bring my transcipt to an interview to prove my degrees. These aren't University of Phoenix or American Contintenal Online degrees.

3. With an economy as dismal as it currently is, I think $58,000 a year is an excellent salary for a business major with only 3 years professional work experience. I honestly doubt they would promote a complete dumbass or failure to an annual salary of $58,000. So what if it is within the retail industry?

4. My debt has been paid.[/QUOTE]

1. Crooks of all ages exist. Most people have no idea how old the HR department for a game store corporation is compared to the typical HR department. If you have data, provide a link.

2. Outstanding job.

3. The performance of the banking industry in the last 2 years proves plenty of dumbasses did exceptionally well.

4. Doubly outstanding job. I wish I could say the same.

[quote name='Ziv']I certainly wouldn't put my SSN online for just about anything, job or any other application. I'll do it in person. But think about this. If you can't follow the first direction that you're given, why would they want to hire you? You could be a stellar applicant, but if you're ignoring the first directive you're being given, why wouldn't a potential employer think that you'll probably be difficult if you get hired. You truly never get a second chance to make a first impression.

When people come in and ask me for an application, I tell them to take it home and fill it out completely. If they ask to fill it out in the store, they've already failed. I don't really care what reason they may have. I told them to do something. Why would I hire someone who doesn't listen?[/QUOTE]

This isnt the army. Good God.

Since we're throwing out some sweet statistics...I'd like to add that 95% of the people afraid of online identity theft are above the age of 30.

[quote name='steve_k']Why is it hard to believe someone with a masters degree would consider working with GameCrazy if the potential salary is high enough? Lots of people have Masters degrees. In fact, I would estimate that in a metropolitan complex, roughly half of all people aged 25 or older have at least a 4-year bachelors degree and 20% of all people have a masters degree or higher.

Of those whom are unemployed, the ratio of educated people is likely to be signifcantly higher than the estimates above considering the massive layoffs that have taken place this year. I would estimate that 75% of all unemployed people aged 25 or older have a bachelors degree and 25% have at least a masters degree.

It's not uncommon at all.[/QUOTE]

That is very true. In many metropolitan areas, the Masters degree is pretty much the new Bachelor's degree.

Bachelor's degrees have been devalued since nearly everyone applying for any kind of white collar job in a metro area has at least a Bachelor's degree these days.

Seriously? There are a lot of better and less dumba** ways of gauging ability to follow directions. When someone is looking for a job, it is highly unlikely that they get giggles out of wasting gas or that they need the job so little that they'll just bring the application back in the next time they are in the neighborhood three weeks from now.

When I was a manager, I was much more skeptical of the people who would walk off with an application than those who went and sat down and filled it out and turned it back in. Those who turn it in right away want the job and IMO would be much better employees usually. If someone brings back an application to me more than a day or so after picking it up, I can instantly see what they think of my company and how they would treat their job if I were to give them one.

Plus they've come in with the prepared with the necessary information to fill out the app. It sounds like Ziv is one of those managers.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I should have been a plumber.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a good idea (not sure if you're being facetious). A good plumber can make serious bank. It can sometimes be a dirty, filthy job but if one is willing to do the work there are plenty of people who aren't and they can be charged practically whatever you want.

[quote name='neocisco']That's actually a good idea (not sure if you're being facetious). A good plumber can make serious bank. It can sometimes be a dirty, filthy job but if one is willing to do the work there are plenty of people who aren't and they can be charged practically whatever you want.[/QUOTE]

Being serious. Every job deals with shit. Plumbing just does so literally. Current job ... just kind of waiting. Can I get the certifications to move up? Well, not until I have the free time. Why don't I have free time? I'm either working overtime to pay off debts or spending the day with my daughter.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Plumber/Hourly_Rate

I would have to take a good sized pay cut to move into that career and it isn't like there are a lot of people hiring plumber trainees right now.

Not that anyone cares, but I've been a successfull manager for over 15 years. I've watched many of my peers come and go I'm my time, but I've stayed and thrived during that time. I didn't get that way making stupid decisions. I've hired smart and haven't had a problem. People like working for me because I'm fair and structured.

I hope those being critical of my method of hiring are as sucsessful as I am.

And I agreed with the OP in the first place about putting his SSN online to a place he doesn't trust. But I think he'll have no problem finding a job that meets his criteria without having to put his SSN online. Just not with Gamecrazy.

bread's done
Back