Gladiator A.D. is now Tournament of Legends; The Grinder is now multi-platform

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Gladiator A.D. is now called Tournament of Legends, is being published by Sega, has a different art-style, and will not support WM+. Due May 2010, I believe:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=113037
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=113057
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=113101

The Grinder was announced for PS3/360/Wii/PC, Halloween 2011 and a new trailer:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=113273
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOLQNloBoIM

Gladiator A.D.
Staff Interview at IGN: http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986261p1.html
Trailer: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14350710/gladiator-ad/videos/gladiator_trl_extremeviolence_52609.html

pre-e3-2009-gladiator-ad-revealed-20090525022235137_640w.jpg

From High-Voltage (The Conduit), they say it's an ultra-violent fighting game, somewhat in the vein of Bushido Blade. They also mention that it will have many different control options, including one that supports Wii MotionPlus. IGN posted an interview with some of the developers, along with some screens and artwork. Tomorrow, another High-Voltage game will be revealed, and more on both games will be said at e3.

TheTjalian of Joystiq summed up the four-page interview pretty well:
Main points from the interview (so you can pretty much skip a 4 page interview):

- It's a gory, strategic 3D fighter
- Already 7 months into production
- Violence is authentic, not "like Mortal Kombat" over-the-top
- Uses Quantum3 engine, just like Conduit
- Will have better visuals then Conduit, can have more objects on screen then Conduit
- Players can use weapons
- Players can customise weapons, armour, moves
- Crowd can play a part
- Will use Wii MotionPlus, will definitely add deeper strategy to gameplay
- Can play as many characters
- Inspired by 300
- Each character has his own story
- Decisions made by the player can alter the story
- Uses two Wii Remotes, one for each hand
- Player has three directional attack; left slice, right slash, and overhead chop, each with a slow and "power" variation.
- Players block, parry or dodge
- Emmy winning composer Jeff Beal will provide all music
- Split-screen multiplayer available, Online not confirmed at this time, but would be "high quality" if implemented

There's also two tracks from the game available on page 4, as a direct MP3 download

----------------

The Grinder
Staff Interview at IGN: http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986663p1.html
Trailer: http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14352829/the-grinder/videos/grindere3deb_052909.mov.html

e3-2009the-grinder-20090526041015074_640w.jpg

This one is a cooperative online First-Person Shooter that pits the player against vampires, werewolves, and other forms of the undead. Judging by one of the comments, this is something that HV hinted at earlier, a game that they said could draw up to 65 enemies on screen at once in tests. It will also support Wii MotionPlus and likely WiiSpeak.

NintendoEverything put up a bullet-point summary of IGN's interview for The Grinder:
- Bloody FPS
- Four players online co-op
- Wii-exclusive
- Monsters are real (vampires, werewolves, undead), part of everyday life
- Heroes kill infested areas
- Hector, Doc, AJ, and Miko are the main characters, have different backgrounds, skill sets
- Each characters have own special weapons
- Will be at E3
- No plans for weapon/character upgrades
- Characters can upgrade in non-traditional ways
- Initial tests allowed for 65 enemies on-screen
- A lot of gore
- Vampires, werewolves, Slasher in E3 demo
- MotionPlus support
- Can customize controls
- Can play the entire single-player game online with co-op
- Split-screen co-op as well
- Expect WiiSpeak support
- Considering Leaderboards and Achievements
- AI controls characters for other players during single-player sessions
- Friends can join in min-play
- Series of stages, multiple paths
- Southwestern locales
- Breakable objects, interactive elements to fight enemies
- Can rescue NPCs
- Hoping for no load times
- Holiday 2010 release date
- Looking for a publisher

Last edited by a moderator:
it may sell because after watching gladiator and 300, wouldn't you like to play a game that you pretend to be these characters. will this be the new "mortal kombat"?

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it may sell because after watching gladiator and 300, wouldn't you like to play a game that you pretend to be these characters. will this be the new "mortal kombat"?[/QUOTE]

No, it wont. It will however be 10 bucks soon after release. I have no clue who high voltage thinks theyve become. They're still a C-List developer of shovelware. The Conduit didnt change that image, it looks pathetically bad, just like this gladiator game.

However, i may try it out if the M+ controls are incredible.

This looks really gross, but it certainly doesn't look bad, in my opinion. I'm definitely interested in the dual-controller possibilities. That sounds like it could really go to some interesting places (and get you working up a sweat).

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']it may sell because after watching gladiator and 300, wouldn't you like to play a game that you pretend to be these characters. will this be the new "mortal kombat"?[/QUOTE]

Short answer, no.

IGN unveiled the second of High Voltage's Wii games, The Grinder:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/986/986663p1.html

This one is a cooperative online First-Person Shooter that pits the player against vampires, werewolves, and other forms of the undead. Judging by one of the shots, this might be one that HV hinted at earlier, a game that they said could handle 60-something enemies on screen at once.

The second game reminds me of Dusk Till Dawn, when I read the interview I see that was one of their influences.

I hope the first plays more like Bushido Blade instead of Mortal Kombat, I could imagine some wii motion plus specific damage.

[quote name='blitz6speed']No, it wont. It will however be 10 bucks soon after release. I have no clue who high voltage thinks theyve become. They're still a C-List developer of shovelware. The Conduit didnt change that image, it looks pathetically bad, just like this gladiator game.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They should make games for the 360.

if you have hate in your heart - let it out! i am sure anyone of you can design better games, but until you do why not wait until a game comes out before you decide how bad the still images of it look. whoever said that this developer just pushes shovelware is a fuckn retard. they are taking a chance to develop mature wii games with the gamer in mind so even if it doesnt sell like halo 3 or gta 4 (hmm i wonder if an unlimited marketing budget and the fact they are 3rd and 4th gen established titles had anything to do with that?) Unless you play it try to reserve judgment - especially if all you have to add to the conversation is Wii Graphics Suck...

I wasn't that impressed with Gladiator when I read about it, but I like Left 4 Dead and The Grinder looks like it could be pretty fun.

[quote name='souljah420']if you have hate in your heart - let it out! i am sure anyone of you can design better games, but until you do why not wait until a game comes out before you decide how bad the still images of it look. whoever said that this developer just pushes shovelware is a fuckn retard. they are taking a chance to develop mature wii games with the gamer in mind so even if it doesnt sell like halo 3 or gta 4 (hmm i wonder if an unlimited marketing budget and the fact they are 3rd and 4th gen established titles had anything to do with that?) Unless you play it try to reserve judgment - especially if all you have to add to the conversation is Wii Graphics Suck...[/QUOTE]

1. Why would anyone need to wait for the game to come out to have an opinion on screens? A screen shot is a screen shot, and a message board is a place for others to come and share opinions among other things mmmk.

2. Blitz was right in his statement , for the 15 years High Voltage has been around all they really make is shit. And for what they have been able to port over they have fucked it up. Am I bsing, here is a list of all they have done. http://games.ign.com/objects/027/027174.html

3. Your Halo statement and Gta 4 one are a little off base. Since no one is even comparing this game to them. And why would we be, ones a fps, one is a sandbox, this is a 3d fighter.

4. No one said the Wiis graphics suck. But I will say you seem to ride the short bus. There are plenty of games that look good on the Wii, this isn't one of them. This piss poor game is trying to cap on a movie that was eh, and all the hype that is going around with fighters this year. But hell if this kinda game gets you wet go for it tiger.

[quote name='Scrubking']The grinder looks amazing, but it doesn't have a publisher which could be a problem.[/QUOTE]

The Conduit didn't have one for a while either. Maybe if it does decently, Sega will pick that one up as well.

[quote name='ArthurDigbySellers']The Conduit didn't have one for a while either. Maybe if it does decently, Sega will pick that one up as well.[/QUOTE]

I've read EA might pick it up. Even though they tested the game with little online lag it would mean that online would be done by EA Nation and that would mean faster servers

I like that high voltage is attempting to cater to tastes that other companies putting stuff on the wii are not. I want these games to be good, because I want all games to be good.

If conduit is great, then that will be far more indicative of whether these two titles will be great, and whatever past garbage high voltage may have been behind will matter little.

Today IGN replaced the original trailer for Gladiator A.D. with another one. It's still at the same URL, and the titles are the same, though this new one focuses more on the actual gameplay. Of course, lower-quality versions of both trailers have been uploaded to Youtube.

First Trailer
Second Trailer

[quote name='Scrubking']LOL. I can't wait to see what everyone says when it bombs on the HD consoles.[/QUOTE]

No one will care if it bombs on HD platforms, HD console owners have tons of AAA content to choose from, its the wii owners who have a lack of good content with a userbase that is insanely massive, that has the endless supply of third party bombs.

[quote name='blitz6speed']that has the endless supply of third party bombs.[/QUOTE]

There are tons of bombs on 360/PS3. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find a list.

Dark Void
Wanted: Weapons of Fate
Bionic Commando

There, three off the top of my head. We could list off a bunch of companies who made HD only games that have closed too. Pandemic with Mercenaries 2, after being scooped up by EA for massive amounts of cash.

This notion that third parties are happy and safe on the HD consoles is hilarious. People are failing left and right. The only difference is that - it seems - if you advertise games on the Wii honestly (beyond commercials in adult swim and advertising on IGN), you have a decent shot at getting good sales. Probably the same deal with HD games, but I'm barely keeping score, unlike you jaded "I hate the Wii and Nintendo and totally don't like any of the games on it" gamers who, surprisingly, devote more time to complaining about these things they desperately try to convince everyone they don't care about.

But let's just keep fuckin' that chicken. You should go complain about lag in TvC some more. The balance of people not having issues posting about their online matches is far outnumbering your fervent hardon for denouncing it as such.

[quote name='Strell']There are tons of bombs on 360/PS3. I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find a list.

Dark Void
Wanted: Weapons of Fate
Bionic Commando

There, three off the top of my head. We could list off a bunch of companies who made HD only games that have closed too. Pandemic with Mercenaries 2, after being scooped up by EA for massive amounts of cash.

This notion that third parties are happy and safe on the HD consoles is hilarious. People are failing left and right. The only difference is that - it seems - if you advertise games on the Wii honestly (beyond commercials in adult swim and advertising on IGN), you have a decent shot at getting good sales. Probably the same deal with HD games, but I'm barely keeping score, unlike you jaded "I hate the Wii and Nintendo and totally don't like any of the games on it" gamers who, surprisingly, devote more time to complaining about these things they desperately try to convince everyone they don't care about.

But let's just keep fuckin' that chicken. You should go complain about lag in TvC some more. The balance of people not having issues posting about their online matches is far outnumbering your fervent hardon for denouncing it as such.[/QUOTE]

No one said that HD Games dont bomb, they bomb all the time. And the notion that 1 HD bomb can cause a company to go under is laughable at best. But keep tooting that horn. Again, i like good games, and i criticize bad games all the time. You wouldnt catch me near MAG, i have very little interest in White Knight Chronicles, and really couldn't care less about Bioshock 2.

Also, most people don't chime in about TvC lag because they already are done with the game. Im being serious. We're all waiting for SSF4. returnoftheking.png etc etc.

[quote name='Strell']
Bionic Commando
[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed that so much more than almost any of the big named Wii flops that people point to. (Madworld, Conduit, Extraction ... haven't tried Darkside Chron- am a bit rail shootered out). Had it's faults, but it was nice playing a game that wasn't a cakewalk from beginning to end.

Only one I enjoyed more (that I can think of off of the top of my head) is Overkill

Game deserved to sell better than it did, maybe not at 60$ but at 20-30 surely.

I'm not ragging on the Wii, I enjoy the crap out of it, just I really didn't find much enjoyment from those "hardcore" focused games that people point to and say the Wii is for kids etc etc, cause they really weren't very good imho.

I still believe that a good Wii game, with good advertising, aimed at a core audience (and not in a super niche genre like rail shooter) could find success but there just haven't been any. I'm probably kidding myself though.

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom seems to be having good advertising, and seems to be very good (I don't enjoy fighting games so I wont be getting it). I hope it sells well, but Tatsunoko being such an unknown may hurt it ... still, deserves good sales. I have a bad feeling it will be considered another flop.

[quote name='blitz6speed']No one said that HD Games dont bomb, they bomb all the time. [/quote]

But no one acknowledges it in the 360/PS3 camps. Or, if they do, they sure as hell aren't speaking up.

And the notion that 1 HD bomb can cause a company to go under is laughable at best. But keep tooting that horn.

How many next gen HD games did Factor 5 make? I forget. There was Lair, and then....oh yeah, Lair.

Again, i like good games, and i criticize bad games all the time. You wouldnt catch me near MAG, i have very little interest in White Knight Chronicles, and really couldn't care less about Bioshock 2.

That's nice. Brownie points for you. I'm annoyed people consider the same tired trashy JRPGs as something worthwhile, or anyone even THINKING of picking up a game from Quantic Dream after the shitstorm that was Indigo Prophecy, but there you go.

Also, most people don't chime in about TvC lag because they already are done with the game. Im being serious. We're all waiting for SSF4. returnoftheking.png etc etc.

Haha, wow. And you had just earned some brownie points.

[quote name='Strell']

How many next gen HD games did Factor 5 make? I forget. There was Lair, and then....oh yeah, Lair.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, I just went and looked at their wiki page, it is a shame one HD console game can shut down a studio that has been making games since 1988.

To their credit, they supposedly had other HD games in development, and even supposedly some Wii games. There's wild rumors they had Kid Icarus Wii (only IGN claimed this) and Pilotwings, with some supposed animation sequences and models fleshed out for each game respectively.

But until they show up with something else, yeah, Lair was the only nail in the coffin they needed.

[quote name='Strell']To their credit, they supposedly had other HD games in development, and even supposedly some Wii games. There's wild rumors they had Kid Icarus Wii (only IGN claimed this) and Pilotwings, with some supposed animation sequences and models fleshed out for each game respectively.

But until they show up with something else, yeah, Lair was the only nail in the coffin they needed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but every game studio has something in development when they shut down, so it would still be that one big flop that did it. (Didn't that game have a ridiculously big budget too? I think I remember something like that.)

IGN claims a lot of stuff, it is hard to take anything that site writes seriously.

This news makes me sad. It guarantees the Wii sales will be bad unless Motion+ is incorporated and makes the controls awesome. I know for myself, I might opt for the PS3 version if it looks really nice and the WM+ controls aren't super praised in the reviews. And I'm one who has bought most of these small third party games on day one just to support their support of the Wii, regardless of price (NMH, Mad World, The Conduit, etc...).

Oh yeah, I also just read that the ps3 version of The Grinder will likely use the arc (or whatever their motion controller will be called). They didn't confirm it, but they said something to the effect of, they have the dev kit for it and they like it - works exactly as advertised.

[quote name='Kaoz']IGN claims a lot of stuff, it is hard to take anything that site writes seriously.[/QUOTE]
Well, I don't know about the other channels, but the Nintendo channel has been pretty good. Matt has always seemed to be spot on with the inside industry news. He even proved that Halo DS did exist at one point, months after he first blabbed about it and everyone called him a liar.

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2007/10/02/67886/

I am just going to say that Factor 5 closing had NOTHING to do with lair. They got paid by sony for it, it wasnt their own release. What lead to their failure is widely documented on neogaf many times over, and it has nothing to do with LAIR regardless of how many times wii owners love to say it as fact.

Wii owners using that line is just as laughable as saying Wii cannot sell third party games, wii sells them fine, they're just stuff like guitar hero, just dance, ea sports active, etc.

[quote name='MorPhiend']Well, I don't know about the other channels, but the Nintendo channel has been pretty good. Matt has always seemed to be spot on with the inside industry news. He even proved that Halo DS did exist at one point, months after he first blabbed about it and everyone called him a liar.

http://blogs.ign.com/Matt-IGN/2007/10/02/67886/[/QUOTE]

Fair enough, my opinion on that site has gone really downhill ever since they went on that kick about Nintendo being lazy and such. (not that I disagreed entirely with the sentiment, but the way they presented it seemed poor to me). So that probably had more to do with my comment than anything, I used to like the Nintendo channel of their site.

Then educate me. It's all over Neogaf? Then you can give me some links. Don't come back saying I need to look them up myself - burden of proof is on your shoulders.

Lair sold like shit and they closed shortly thereafter. There's some damned correlation there. Maybe not as much as I'm portraying up there, but there definitely is some. And further, Wii owners are not the only group who claimed this.

Doesn't really matter - one game sinking a company? You're right, highly improbable. But there's plenty of companies being sunk by a few, which only barely diminishes my overall point to begin with.

Now let's not be too hasty. Blitz at least isn't as gone as some of the dumbshits I've seen running around this place. I can give him credit for that.

[quote name='Kaoz']Fair enough, my opinion on that site has gone really downhill ever since they went on that kick about Nintendo being lazy and such. (not that I disagreed entirely with the sentiment, but the way they presented it seemed poor to me). So that probably had more to do with my comment than anything, I used to like the Nintendo channel of their site.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, ever since Matt left to his "new job", the idiots left have done a crappy job. Matt needs to return or they need to hire some people who care about the topic they are writing and talking about.

I'm with you. I agree to an extent with what they have been saying, but I think they have gone overboard and have phrased things in the wrong light lately. Just look at the recent article about how awesome Nintendo's lineup is for 2010. It's like they're a bunch of whiney little bitches who just want to complain about things, but in reality they know things are going pretty good for the console they are covering.

I really miss Matt. I'm a lot like him. I love my Wii to death and I love Nintendo, but I can also be quite the "graphics whore" and if The Grinder looks awesome on PS3 and the controls on Wii are just "meh...", I'm probably not gonna even bother with the Wii version.

Yeah, I don't see multi-platform Grinder doing well. A wii-exclusive release would have been a gamble, of course, but considering it's essentially Left 4 Dead Lite, it now has to beat L4D at its own game, and that's a tactical mistake. October 2011? Heck, it might even be up against L4D 3 directly. Good luck with that, guys.

I was really impressed by the new Grinder trailer, I though the environments looked really scary and spooky.
I imagine that if I do pick this up now it wont be on the Wii though, likely the PC.

bread's done
Back