Glory Days 2

LancerEvoX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Anyone heard about this? It was released a few days ago supposedly (IGN and advertisments everywhere said it was released on July 31).

Its the sequel to the GBA game called Super Army War (published by Atlus), though it got ok reviews.

Anyhow the DS sequel, seems pretty fun. People compared it to old games like Armor Alley and Choplifter.

Box Art:

box-l.jpg

Screenshots:

glory-days-ds-20061101091543700.jpg

glory-days-ds-20061101091544450.jpg

Trailer video:

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao4MRJpnFqA[/MEDIA]

There's local multiplayer only (1-8players), with 4 player co-op. It got reviews all over the place (with IGN giving it a 8 while Nintendo Power gave it a 6).

Reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/glorydays2

EDIT: Spruced up the page the thread a bit more.

The game looks cool and reminds me of choplifter. I loved that game when I was little. I will defintely be adding it to my gamefly Queue.
It's nice to see it in motion since screenshots do not do that game justice.

Wow, after looking at some videos and reading some reviews, I really need to get this game! It looks very fun, and the skirmish mode sounds like it will last for months!

Plus, since it seems like it is a really unkown game, it will probably have a limited shipment, which means it could end up being rare.

Have you guys tried Wal-Mart? Someone people said they got it from there. I still haven't gotten my copy, but I'm not giving up. I hope the next version will have single card download play and online wi-fi support though.

No Walmarts nearby if you can believe that. Nearest one is over 30 minutes away. EB Games said they might get a few in this week but it is looking doubtful.

They actually talked about this on the 1UPYours podcast in the 'what you been playing segment' this week. The intern that was playing really seemed to be enjoying it, and mentioned it was kind of a cross between Choplifter and Defender.

I was at EB Games yesterday and they didn't have it, I haven't checked Wal-Mart yet though.

Despite everyone else saying it came out on July 31st/August 1st, 1up and Gamestop/EB Games has it listed as August 6. Maybe some of the stores sold it earlier?

I give up for now. If I see it I'll just buy it.

Ok, this is just stupid....

I went out today and checked 2 Wal-Marts, 1 Target, and 2 Gamestops, and NONE of them had it in stock, wtf?

I can't order it online as I'm leaving for Italy Friday, I guess I'll check one more time on Thursday.

I have Super Army War for the GBA and its alot of fun.

It really is a combo of Armor Alley and Choplifter.

I'll pick this up next time I see it.

I heard about it on the lastest 1Up Yours Podcast and their review intern said it is great. They gave him the game because they thought it was going to be shit but apparently it is really good.

I haven't found this in store yet, but I'm still looking. Every time i look at it, it looks more and more fun.

Here's some good news, all of the stores on the EBStop inventory locators say that "More are on the Way", which means they are all getting shipments of the game very soon.

I found my copy today at a Wal-Mart while shopping for a birthday present. I'm going to fire it up in a few and I'll put up some impressions after that.

This game looks exactly like Armor Alley. That was a great game that we had lots of fun with at our office way back when. Nostalgia is definitely kicking in when looking at the shots from Glory Days 2, but it's too bad that it doesn't support internet multiplayer. Moreover it doesn't support even download play. Everybody has to have a copy of the game, which most likely means I'd never be playing multiplayer. :(

I've been playing for an hour or so at this point and it's fun but difficult. The helicopter seems much easier to control than a plane. I'm not using the touch screen controls because they just felt loose to me, and i feel like i have more precision playing with the control pad style set up.

One big downside is it doesn't seem like I can make a plane do a loop without the touchscreen. I'm probably missing it, but figuring that out, outside of touch mode would make piloting the plane and dog fighting a great deal easier.

It has a interesting narrative style that consits entirely of letters sent home from the front lines. I'm enjoying it so far. Everything moves at a fast pace and the screen can get busy but it's pretty easy to keep track of who is on your side, and who needs a bomb dropped on their ases.

Word of warning, your bombs will blow your guys up too, and calling in paratroopers over your base doesn't do a thing to help you. :lol:

A HA

To do a loop in a plane with control pad style controls, you just hit back, the opposite direction you are currently flying, twice quickly and it initiates the loop.

Jet vs Helicopter dogfights are not nearly as one sided as they may sound :lol:

--Edit 3:36--

Taking a break for now, i have cleared 8 of the apparant 16 campaign missions. I absolutely love the helicopter missions. Took me only a couple hours to get halfway through so i could see a good player going through it in 4 or 5 hours tops. Almost infinitely replayable though.

The script translation goes super shitty as soon as you begin Ben's chunk of the storyline. I didn't notice until then but wow did it become apparant real quickly that they didn't spend too much time translating.

[quote name='lebowsky']I heard about it on the lastest 1Up Yours Podcast and their review intern said it is great. They gave him the game because they thought it was going to be shit but apparently it is really good.[/QUOTE]
The reviews intern from 1UP who talked about the game and wrote the review is Nick, aka rocksolidaudio, a fellow CAG. Perhaps we could get him to post in here.

Summon --> rocksolidaudio

[quote name='radjago']The reviews intern from 1UP who talked about the game and wrote the review is Nick, aka rocksolidaudio, a fellow CAG. Perhaps we could get him to post in here.

Summon --> rocksolidaudio[/quote]

Wow, very cool. I knew he got a job at 1up, but I had no idea I was listening to a CAG on that podcast.

I really don't like the plane levels. The helicopter levels are wonderful, they control well, you have a good sense of the battlefield. The plane levels though, just come off annoying to me.

Mission 9 was the first to really give me problems. It's a helicopter mission, but it took me 4 tries and 24 minutes to clear when I finally cleared.

I think Multi-player/Co-op will be a blast since you'll have players piloting a helicopter or a plane. Each player will have their own role on the battlefield.

[quote name='hootie']Hallelujah! I picked the game up at GameStop yesterday, to my surprise![/quote]

Just called my local Gamestop - they've got 'em now. Rad!

This reminds me of Area 88/UN Squadron. I loved those games. Choplifter was coolness, too. I'll definitely be trying this one when I get a chance.

I just ordered a new/sealed copy of this game off of Amazon Marketplace for $15.99 plus shipping. I loved Choplifter as a kid, and I always look forward to playing games that have great soundtracks, and all the reviews of Glory Days 2 make special mention of its music, so that's something to look forward to. Can't wait to try it out!

[quote name='boyward']I just ordered a new/sealed copy of this game off of Amazon Marketplace for $15.99 plus shipping. I loved Choplifter as a kid, and I always look forward to playing games that have great soundtracks, and all the reviews of Glory Days 2 make special mention of its music, so that's something to look forward to. Can't wait to try it out![/quote]

I'd be interested to know how it works out. 15.99 sounds like a great price, but I'm scared it would be a bootleg. If it isn't, come back and tell us!

[quote name='hohez']I really don't like the plane levels. The helicopter levels are wonderful, they control well, you have a good sense of the battlefield. The plane levels though, just come off annoying to me.[/quote]

I agree. In the plane missions your jet moves so fast that it's really hard to line up your bombing run. But the helicopter levels, which move at a slower pace, are very enjoyable.

Do you know of any way to move the gameplay screen down to the touch screen? It would be easier to control with the stylus if I was interacting directly with the gameplay screen. I didn't see anything about switching that in the Options menu.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I'd be interested to know how it works out. 15.99 sounds like a great price, but I'm scared it would be a bootleg. If it isn't, come back and tell us![/quote]

I'm not sure how to tell if a DS game is a bootleg, but it appeared to be factory sealed. I think the seller might have discounted this copy because there's a little cut into the plastic on the case.

[quote name='boyward']I agree. In the plane missions your jet moves so fast that it's really hard to line up your bombing run. But the helicopter levels, which move at a slower pace, are very enjoyable.[/quote]

Same here. I got to mission 5 or 6, not sure which - one of Bill's missions - and I just keep losing. I got Luminous Arc shortly after and have since abandoned this game to be picked up when I get tired of other games.

Tis a shame because I thought the helicopter missions were great like you said.

bread's done
Back