God Damnit. (Job Related)

WinnieThePujols

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Currently I'm working as a "Sports Clerk." I get paid minimum wage at a newspaper. I'm basically in charge of gathering scores and stuff along with a couple other people. Obviously, the pay sucks. The hours do, too (9-11 at night). However, I do view this as good experience... because I have considered going into journalism, and obviously this would be nice to have. Everyone starts from the bottom, right? (Currently, though, I'm in college working on a Computer Science major..)

Now... a few buddies of mine have got a job at Menards. I'm not sure how big of a chain that place is, so I don't know if you've heard of it. It's similar to a place like a Lowes, in that it's a general hardware store. You start out at $8.20 at Menards. On weekends, you get $10.40! I applied there, and me back a day later, and she wanted to talk about my availability.

Because of my newspaper job (which I can be potentially scheduled at on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday Friday or Saturday....), I'm kind of in a bind. I'm actually only a "Sports Clerk" through March. It ends before April starts. You'd think that was good, but really, it's bad timing. I don't want to tell them I'm quitting with just a few weeks left... that's not long enough for them to be able to find someone else, but it is long enough to leave them shorthanded...

After I explained my hours, the manager of Menards did not sound enthusaed. She gave me the, "Oh, maybe you want to call us back in April?" line at least three times. She said they needed Friday and Saturday nights open. I explained to her that I'd only be working the other time for a month, but she didn't really care...

So now I have a few options:
a) Quit the newspaper, but feel like a dick... that would really be leaving them in a bind (they'll be shorthanded and won't have time to hire a new person), and I don't think that it's my nature to do something ass-holy like that (but then again, a job is a job... why "care" about what you do to the company? It's completely within my rights, correct?) [I'm really torn on this one]

b) Tell the newspaper I can't work Fridays and Saturdays. Not that out of the question, but again, that's a really ass-holy thing to do to my co-workers... now they'll be stuck working the Friday and Saturday night shifts.

c) Re-apply at Menards in April. I really don't want to do this option. The pay so fantastic over there... and since I'm planning on moving out over the Summer, that would be an excellent opportunity to have a great job lined up for... hopefully a while.

d) Write-in.

Please tell me what you would do. I know I'm probably sounding like a pussy... but I just have morals and don't feel like completely abandoning the newspaper...

Some people would probably be willing to leave on a whim, but I feel this is kind of a catch-22. I do view that job at Menards as pretty rare. Excellent pay, and I have a few friends that work there that really enjoy it so far...

Please help.

Edit
Two most important things to remember:
- I'll more than likely choose a career in Computer Science... it's just that journalism and psychology have been things I've considered, so I decided that I could see what journalism is like (but I work with high school sports that I don't care about; while true that I wouldn't necessarily have to do it in the future, people I work with are making a career out of it... and that's not something I'd want; but hey, to each their own!)

- I'm moving out this summer, so this would be awesome to get a job lined up.

The job probably won't be there in April... I would just take the job now, chances like that don't come along very much.

You're being offered a job now, and you won't have to deal with the frustration of looking at the end of March.

Tell the newspaper that you are being offered more money to work at Menards and you really don't want to leave them shorthanded, but you need a job that pays more and that is going to extend past March as well.

You may get lucky and they'll offer more money for you to stay. It's doubtful but you never know.

As far as leaving them in the lurch, it doesn't sound like your job was brain surgery, they can probably find someone within a week to do your old job. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving at all.

Give your employer some credit and explain the situation, it will work out the best in the end for both of you.

[quote name='lebowsky']Tell the newspaper that you are being offered more money to work at Menards and you really don't want to leave them shorthanded, but you need a job that pays more and that is going to extend past March as well.[/quote]

That's what I would do. Minimum wage is soooooo low...

It's commendable that you're thinking on how quiting your job would affect your co-workers but you've got to look out for yourself (looks like that new job would be at least a 30% pay increase over your old job). I'd do choice b) and give them at least the opportunity to give you raise to keep you. I'm sure there's alot of turnover in your job so they probably won't be surprised.

Best of luck.

Probably the best advice I have gotten about jobs is from my dad. In the business world no one is going to look out for you, take care of yourself.

It's commendable that you care about your co-workers, but in the end you are the one that has to pay for your rent, food, bills, etc. They are offering you more money in a more stable environment. I would take it.

[quote name='lebowsky']Tell the newspaper that you are being offered more money to work at Menards and you really don't want to leave them shorthanded, but you need a job that pays more and that is going to extend past March as well.

You may get lucky and they'll offer more money for you to stay. It's doubtful but you never know.

As far as leaving them in the lurch, it doesn't sound like your job was brain surgery, they can probably find someone within a week to do your old job. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving at all.[/quote]

Yeah, this is the way to go - play them off each other & whichever one offers you the better incentive is the one you go with. Same w/ buying a car or finding the best mortgage loan - find the one that gives you the best deal.

[quote name='lebowsky']Tell the newspaper that you are being offered more money to work at Menards and you really don't want to leave them shorthanded, but you need a job that pays more and that is going to extend past March as well.

As far as leaving them in the lurch, it doesn't sound like your job was brain surgery, they can probably find someone within a week to do your old job. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving at all.[/QUOTE]

I recommend this.

Personally, I'd take the shittier pay if only because it will look better on a resume down the line, unless you really really need the money.

I'd say it depends on your financial situation. If you're doing it solely for the experience (and for min. wage it'd have to be)... like you live at home or that most of your bills are covered by other means, then I'd stick it out. If you stick with the profession, then it'll look good in the future. Plus the paper should have nothing negative to say about you in reference.

If you work for a living... play them off each other like what was said earlier. If the newspaper won't budge, then they're obviously not really concerned for you as an employee. Go for the higher wage job.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']I'd say it depends on your financial situation. If you're doing it solely for the experience (and for min. wage it'd have to be)... like you live at home or that most of your bills are covered by other means, then I'd stick it out. If you stick with the profession, then it'll look good in the future. Plus the paper should have nothing negative to say about you in reference.

If you work for a living... play them off each other like what was said earlier. If the newspaper won't budge, then they're obviously not really concerned for you as an employee. Go for the higher wage job.[/QUOTE]
Former employers can't say anything about you in references anymore, only verify dates of employment.

Seriouly dude....fuck that newspaper. Like alot of people said...you have to look out for yourself. Honestly they dont care about you they will replace you with another monkey. Take that job and the money and run.

OK, here's the thing:

The newspaper job is for experience... however, they're not going to budge on the payment. As my booklet clearly says, "Everyone starts out at minimum wage, barring previous newspaper experience. Each year you come back, you'll receive at least a $0.50 raise."

Remember, this newspaper job covers high school sports... since there are no high school sports in the summer, they have no need for us. They will likely offer me a spot back next fall... but I get very few hours and very little pay. (One of my -two week- paychecks was $56.)

I've made plans with some friends to move out this summer, so I'm going to have to find a job that pays well enough to support myself. I can promise you, I'm not stockpiling any money working at this place.. I'm not even making enough to last me two weeks, much less enough to save any... Where else am I going to find $10 on weekends? Yeah, construction is an option, but that's also very phsyically demanding and the hours suck.

So... no, the newspaper place will not up the ante. Regardless of what happens, I work then for the next month, then I'm done. If I stay and choose to go back in the fall, then so be it!

But more than likely, I will go into something with a CS major, as opposed to journalism... the only way I think this temp job is going to do me any good is if I do it for a free years... but realistically, I'm never going to get the hours (nor the pay) from there that will allow me to live wiht some roomates..

And for the record, North Dakota's minimum wage is $5.15.

[quote name='TurkeyOnRye']I'd say it depends on your financial situation. If you're doing it solely for the experience (and for min. wage it'd have to be)... like you live at home or that most of your bills are covered by other means, then I'd stick it out. If you stick with the profession, then it'll look good in the future. Plus the paper should have nothing negative to say about you in reference.

If you work for a living... play them off each other like what was said earlier. If the newspaper won't budge, then they're obviously not really concerned for you as an employee. Go for the higher wage job.[/QUOTE]

QFT... The truth is in the grand scheme of things when you are a college student, you should be thinking about getting paid in the future, not necessarilly right now (ideally you can do both), and to employers in the industry, the experience within the industry is going to look much better than experience working retail. If you can't sustain yourself on the newspaper job, then by all means take the other one, but if you can, suck it up for a year or so...you'll thank yourself later.

[quote name='kakomu']I'd say ditch the newspaper job. Sounds like you're getting the Intern end of the stick.[/quote]

He's getting the Intern end of the stick but it doesn't seem like there's a chance to get higher in the company. I might be ignorant about these things but how does a Computer Science degree help you become a journalist. If you're interested in doing that sort of thing, go back to Journalism School and get a degree. Besides, managers never use put that much weight into experience as much as finding someone who's willing and capable to do the work and will fit in with the rest of the staff. I've gotten a couple jobs with nothing more than a firm handshake and looking the manager right in the eyes during the interview. I got a job with Duke University in a department I had no experience in because I convinced the manager I had the ability to do the job and I was a fast learner. That job was more an opportunity hiring than anything else. She needed a surgical tech, I was a surgical tech with a few years experience(just not in the specialty she was hiring me on for), so I got the job. Go interview for a job that you're hopelessly underqualified for but go in with a suit and a smile. You'll be surprised what a little enthusiasm and a good handshake will do for you. That's how I spent one year working with the Oakland A's organization. I was a 22 year old surgical tech but I just got out of the Air Force so the manager was impressed with what she perceived as my discipline. You can settle for Menard's but there's more out there in you're persistent. You just gotta convince yourself that your time is worth more than 10 bucks an hour.

[quote name='depascal22']He's getting the Intern end of the stick but it doesn't seem like there's a chance to get higher in the company. I might be ignorant about these things but how does a Computer Science degree help you become a journalist. If you're interested in doing that sort of thing, go back to Journalism School and get a degree. Besides, managers never use put that much weight into experience as much as finding someone who's willing and capable to do the work and will fit in with the rest of the staff. I've gotten a couple jobs with nothing more than a firm handshake and looking the manager right in the eyes during the interview. I got a job with Duke University in a department I had no experience in because I convinced the manager I had the ability to do the job and I was a fast learner. That job was more an opportunity hiring than anything else. She needed a surgical tech, I was a surgical tech with a few years experience(just not in the specialty she was hiring me on for), so I got the job. Go interview for a job that you're hopelessly underqualified for but go in with a suit and a smile. You'll be surprised what a little enthusiasm and a good handshake will do for you. That's how I spent one year working with the Oakland A's organization. I was a 22 year old surgical tech but I just got out of the Air Force so the manager was impressed with what she perceived as my discipline. You can settle for Menard's but there's more out there in you're persistent. You just gotta convince yourself that your time is worth more than 10 bucks an hour.[/QUOTE]

You're mis-understanding.

I'm a freshman in college that's going for a Computer Science major. So right now, I'm just getting my generals.

I've considered going for either Journalism or Psychology, though, so I felt that this would be a good opportunity in case I went that route.

Got ya bro. Didn't realize you were just starting college. That still doesn't mean you can't try to find a higher paying job somewhere else. Use your youth as an advantage.

[quote name='lebowsky']Tell the newspaper that you are being offered more money to work at Menards and you really don't want to leave them shorthanded, but you need a job that pays more and that is going to extend past March as well.[/QUOTE]
if you are honest, employers can't really fault you for wanting to leave over financial circumstances. they might try and guilt trip you, and menards might not treat you as good as the newspaper, but if you need money then you need money.

[quote name='javeryh']That's what I would do. Minimum wage is soooooo low...[/QUOTE]
too true. i heard last year that minimun wage is at a 30 year low (when you apply inflation, cost of living, etc.) realistically minimum wage needs to be around $10/hour because it's almost impossible to move out of your parents' house for less. is that menards job fulltime? if not you'll need a second job to move out, even with a roommate.

[quote name='darkmere']too true. i heard last year that minimun wage is at a 30 year low (when you apply inflation, cost of living, etc.) realistically minimum wage needs to be around $10/hour because it's almost impossible to move out of your parents' house for less. is that menards job fulltime? if not you'll need a second job to move out, even with a roommate.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have two roommates, so we'll split an apartment. Based on what other people who have moved out already are paying, it's going to be $200-250 a month in rent... a bunch of other expenses, too, obviously, but...

I decided to stay at the paper. I made a topic on another message board I go to, and.. it's just I think that this is going to be worth it. People here and there were discussing the high turnover rate of a big place like Menards; I'll be re-applying in April, which is still a month and a half before school gets out, so I'll still be way ahead of the curve.

I'm still not sure if it was the right decision or not, but I was pretty much split and probably would've felt regretful either way.

bread's done
Back