God of War III -- Gen. Discussion

I thought this game was supposed to be 1080i? Thats what the back of the box says. My tv does 1080p and 1080i, i have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI, yet its only playing with a 1280 x 720 resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey is GoW3 sort of low on volume for anyone else? I have to turn my receiver up 20 more knotches than anything else. Also, my videos play pretty quiet and my music plays SUPER loud. Don't know why.

I beat it. Shorter than I expected. Also the one game that insists on turning on my PS3 fans within 3 minutes of playing.

Game is easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen. I'm going to sell it by tomorrow since i dont see replay value in these types of games

[quote name='The 7th Number']I thought this game was supposed to be 1080i? Thats what the back of the box says. My tv does 1080p and 1080i, i have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI, yet its only playing with a 1280 x 720 resolution.[/QUOTE]

it'll be 1280 x 720 no matter what resolution its at.

I just beat it.

EDIT: Aw man, I missed one Secret Trophy.
Beat the Labyrinth without falling or dying. Good thing I made those 34 saves for just such an occassion

Haven't felt this ripped off from a SE/CE in a long time. I have to stop putting games on pre-order and read the contents first. If anyone is on the fritz on getting the Ultimate Edition don't even bother. Lackluster content altogether.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hey is GoW3 sort of low on volume for anyone else? I have to turn my receiver up 20 more knotches than anything else. Also, my videos play pretty quiet and my music plays SUPER loud. Don't know why.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... I have it at 20 (normally I use 15) and the voices and sound effects, especially blades, are still pretty hard to hear. I'm gonna have to tinker with the in game options. But the audio is fantastic, especially anything low like explosions or the Titans moving around.

[quote name='KingBroly']it'll be 1280 x 720 no matter what resolution its at.
[/QUOTE]

Usually though when i see a tv show in 1080 it will say 1080. IDK. Also sometimes the bright lights are really bright and the darks are dark. Could be my tv though.

Mine is the complete opposite. The setting is much lower than I usually have it, but it seems to be twice as loud.

would like to know what you CAG think about

I think its cheap for 100 not a good thing the pandora's box is cheap as hell

Wow...I know it's a short game but can't believe people beat it already. I just picked up the game and still yet to open it. Game will probably sit on the shelf for a while at least until I beat FFXIII and GOW2.

I just got my Ultimate Edition today...I personally really like it. I think the pandora's box is awesome, I was able to fit my GOW collection and 2 controllers in it (comes in handy for me...I don't have accessory storage space). The only thing that let me down was the soundtracks are DLC and not physical CD's.

Hey to all the people that beat GoW3 I have a couple of questions:

1.) How long it take to beat the game

2.) what difficulty were you playing on

3.) How was the story (no spoilers! just want to know if it is consistent with the other two games.)

Got the game today and I'm enjoying it thus far. The game looks beautiful in hd and the first person killing screens was amazing. Hope I'm not so far in the game that I'm close to beating it.
I'm at the Flame of Olympus or w.e. its called.

I was really surprised with the demo level and how much has changed. Don't know how many times I've gone through the demo level. But I'm almost positive that those Olympian Guards weren't as tough as in the demo.:bomb:

[quote name='Skooba81']I just got my Ultimate Edition today...I personally really like it. I think the pandora's box is awesome, I was able to fit my GOW collection and 2 controllers in it (comes in handy for me...I don't have accessory storage space). The only thing that let me down was the soundtracks are DLC and not physical CD's.[/QUOTE]

i don't think its worth 100 + tax maybe 79.99 and it didn't come with a steelbook just a reg with extras

I haven't opened mine yet, but I'm thinking about taking it back to get the regular version. I got the Bioshock 2SE and it looked much better then GOW one, especially the artbook.

[quote name='docvinh']I haven't opened mine yet, but I'm thinking about taking it back to get the regular version. I got the Bioshock 2SE and it looked much better then GOW one, especially the artbook.[/QUOTE]

its very cheap

I am using Optical Out for sound. Hooked my Turtle Beach X4s up to my ps3 and xbox 360 and while playing Final Fantasy XIII or even the God of War Collection the sound is fantastic, yet I get no sound from God of War 3 at all. Not even so much as a Kratos roar or hum or anything. Anyone else using Optical having problems with the sound?

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Arg, dang rental places and them never even getting the game in today. WTF, how do you not get such a huge title like GoWIII at all?[/QUOTE]

That's the way most rental places work. Far as movies. Mine gets them early and has them out on release date. Far as games. Its 2-3 days after its released.

I can't believe I let myself get sucked into the hype and bought this. I don't like hack and slash games and this is no exception. Mindless hack and slash, simple puzzles, frustrating boss fights culminating in QTE's... not for me. Back to Bad Company 2 multiplayer it is.

The graphics, however, are insane, especially that opening titan battle. Too bad you can't appreciate it as much as possible due to the fixed camera angles and QTE button prompts stealing away your focus.

[quote name='DaddyBoJangles']I am using Optical Out for sound. Hooked my Turtle Beach X4s up to my ps3 and xbox 360 and while playing Final Fantasy XIII or even the God of War Collection the sound is fantastic, yet I get no sound from God of War 3 at all. Not even so much as a Kratos roar or hum or anything. Anyone else using Optical having problems with the sound?[/QUOTE]

I am and it sounds good but as other have stated the mixing is a little wonky and quite in general.

[quote name='Aleman']I can't believe I let myself get sucked into the hype and bought this. I don't like hack and slash games and this is no exception. Mindless hack and slash, simple puzzles, frustrating boss fights culminating in QTE's... not for me. Back to Bad Company 2 multiplayer it is.

The graphics, however, are insane, especially that opening titan battle. Too bad you can't appreciate it as much as possible due to the fixed camera angles and QTE button prompts stealing away your focus.[/QUOTE]

Listen, whose goddamn fault is that you didn't know what this game would be like? God of War 1 and 2 BOTH had QTE's and fixed camera angles.

You knew what you were getting into, so don't whine. You had 2 games to see what the hell the 3rd one would be going towards and you chose to buy it. AND you bought a hack and slash game EVEN THOUGH YOU JUST WROTE YOU DONT LIKE THEM!

It's not mindless, especially on harder difficulties. I played it on easy (I just prefer beating the crap out of stuff rather than a challenge ) and it wasnt mindless.

Also, the QTE's in GOW3 are BETTER. You don't even have to look at what button it shows now, you just look at what side of the screen its on. If it's at the bottom, its X, on the right side? Circle. EASY. And you dont take your eyes off the action

Idiot troll? I think so.

Was expecting a nice polystone pandoras box similar to the statues from the LoTR SE or resin like the first Bioshock CE Big Daddy, not this piece of plastic. You would think it would look like all the pics that were shown, like on the pre order box. The game case is the same as the regular edition, though the book cover is better looking.

Not as bad as the batarang but still not worth the 100 bucks they are charging. Don't know if anyone else's is different but mine is mostly gold and a little black. The paint in the original pics looks much nicer than what was actually in the box.

original pics,
http://consolecreatures.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/god-of-war-3-ultimate-edition.jpg

unboxing vid,
http://screwattack.com/videos/God-Of-War-III-Ultimate-edition-unboxing

I wish these company's would put together SE's that were actually worth the money. The first AC had a tiny Altair figure. When I saw the size of the box of AC2 I couldnt believe how big it was, (thats what she said). The Ezio statue was what you would expect, something that can be displayed.

I still think the Big Daddy from Bioshock is my favorite CE, and since they had problems with broken ones, I have two. Just have to get around to gluing the tip back on the first one. Hopefully Sega just sends out new facehuggers and i'll just glue the tail on my current ripped one so I have one for the desk and another for my game shelf.

Gotta get out of the habit of pre-ordering these so called collectors editions since most cases they can be found months later for half the price, Bioshock2 comes to mind.

Yeah, I'm just not sure this one is worth 100 bucks. I actually like the Bioshock 2 one, the record was a well thought out special, as well as the posters while the artbook is top notch. I actually would have been happy if I paid that much for the Bioshock 2 one. I mean, come on, they couldn't include a real cd for the music? That's just being cheap.

Consider it like this? Do you consider everything but the game worth 40 dollars? Ok, so it's a plastic box shaped like the Pandora's Box. It's a bunch of DLC costumes and a soundtrack. It's a small art book.

Yeah doesn't sound so great actually. I was under the impression the Ultimate Edition would have a black box art for the game, but....apparently it doesnt.

Yeah the Bioshock2 was definately nice, The case feels like its quality material and the hidden messages on the paper posters were a nice little touch. Wish I had a record player to listen to Lp but at least the rest of the music was on a cd.

I just wish the CE's would have different box art. Most just stick the SE release in the fancy package, no way to tell its a CE when you have it lined up on the shelf with the rest of the games unless that big ol box is somewhere close by.

You spend all this extra money the least they can do is make the game case a little different from the SE version. I mean they go through the trouble of packing in the extra paper for the DL codes, just run a different print, or steel cases are always nice.

Im 4 and a half hours into it. So far its pretty cool. But its alot of the same like previous games. Though i feel the story telling is missing. Ive been playing 1 and 2 the past two weeks, and in 3 im not really seeing a whole lot of points where they stop to tell part of the story. Its like im going through the game and something is missing. But i really love the cinematic videos, especially the beginning, and those within the game that are similar. Those are very nice. So far its been pretty cool.

Just beat it. Some very satisfying kills in this game, I must say.

Bashing Hercules' head in to a bloody pulp was, by far, the most gratifying kill in the series, in my opinion. Especially when you land in the water to check his corpse and see that the entire front of his face is missing. :lol: Couldn't help but say, "Holy shit!"

Ending spoilers:
I wonder who Zeus was talking about when he told Gaia that she should've chose the "other pawn." I believe this same person was referenced in Chains of Olympus too, where Athena says, ""He'll live. They must," or something along those lines. Wonder who it could be. Possibly Kratos' brother? Apparently some of the ending was cut too, so we could be missing a lot. http://kotaku.com/5493043/if-cut-god-of-war-iii-ending-returns-as-dlc-it-would-be-free

This game is hawt shit.

Just got a little past the part where you tell Gaia to fuck off.

However, only little annoyance:

When fighting Poseidon's first pony, I wish the game made it more clear to hit the horse's crab leg things to prevent it from blasting that energy out of its mouth since its unavoidable(sorry, I have no absolutely no better idea how to explain it.) I died 2x before figuring out that I needed to hit its legs so it would lose its grip.

Other than that though, the game has done a pretty good job of guiding you through what you need to do during certain encounters.

An amazing game, picked it up at 1 PM today and beat it earlier tonight. This was a great step up for the series, I really like how they paid attention to some of the little things like making the QTE button prompts appear at the edge of the screen so you know what button to press but you dont need to remove your focus from the jaw-dropping graphics. Ending kinda threw me but they could've done much much worse. Now to conquer the challenges....

[quote name='Microshock']Also, the QTE's in GOW3 are BETTER. You don't even have to look at what button it shows now, you just look at what side of the screen its on. If it's at the bottom, its X, on the right side? Circle. EASY. And you dont take your eyes off the action.[/QUOTE]

That's true. At first I was getting frustrated with the QTE's with the buttons on the sides. Now I don't even look at them and use my peripherals to see what side of the screen is flashing. Cuz I don't want to miss some of the awesome detail Kratos puts in to killing a beast or god.

What are the chances for the DLC to come out outside the UE? I'm talking about only the combat arena and kratos skin.

While I personally didn't get the GOW3 CE, I figured it was going to be a poorly painted plastic box and even up till yesterday considered purchasing one. Reading your thoughts I think I may pass until price is lowered.
I did however get the BioShock 2 CE and I thought everything included was top notch. Everything felt like it was made from quality materials. Especially the box containing the goods, loved the soft feel.

As you can tell from my signature I'm not a fan of all this Digital BS companies are trying to sell us, sure it takes up space but I like to be able to sell my things as I see fit. The game, book and box I would estimate being worth $80 (to me personally) , all that digital shit should be free and included on the disc (blu ray can handle it, can't it). I doubt every drop of space on the blu ray was filled.

Rant over.

[quote name='Microshock']Listen, whose goddamn fault is that you didn't know what this game would be like? God of War 1 and 2 BOTH had QTE's and fixed camera angles.

You knew what you were getting into, so don't whine. You had 2 games to see what the hell the 3rd one would be going towards and you chose to buy it. AND you bought a hack and slash game EVEN THOUGH YOU JUST WROTE YOU DONT LIKE THEM!

It's not mindless, especially on harder difficulties. I played it on easy (I just prefer beating the crap out of stuff rather than a challenge ) and it wasnt mindless.

Also, the QTE's in GOW3 are BETTER. You don't even have to look at what button it shows now, you just look at what side of the screen its on. If it's at the bottom, its X, on the right side? Circle. EASY. And you dont take your eyes off the action

Idiot troll? I think so.[/QUOTE]

Overreact much? It's just a video game dude.

[quote name='Aleman']Overreact much? It's just a video game dude.[/QUOTE]

It is just a video game. But I'm not a retard about it. If you don't like hack and slash, why the fuck would you buy one that is?

And then whine about it on the forums? Seriously, i'm thinking you're an Xbot or something

I just got a very weird audio cue from the beginning of the game.

"ZEUS...your son has returned. And be brings with him ZEUS...your son has returned."

I passed the events that happened in the demo, and saved. So far, I'm loving it. It is everything I wanted it to be. The opening scene was insane. It wow'ed me like the Hydra and Colossus did when they came out. Kudas to Santa Monica!

For those who beat it already.

How long does the game take to complete on normal or whatever difficulty you played it on?

Just wondering how much more i have to go.I'm almost 6 hours in on normal.

[quote name='Microshock']It is just a video game. But I'm not a retard about it. If you don't like hack and slash, why the fuck would you buy one that is?

And then whine about it on the forums? Seriously, i'm thinking you're an Xbot or something[/QUOTE]

LOL.

Calm down. Yeah that guy is stupid for buying into the hype, and then regretting it, but I'm sure we've all done that at one point.

It's not like he fucked your mom or anything. If a guy doesn't like God of War, he doesn't like God of War.

It's personally one of my favorite series of all time, but you don't see me wetting my pants over the fact that some random dude on the internet doesn't like it.

But I will agree with you, bitching on the internet and saying you don't like the game after you just said you dislike the entire genre is stupid.

[quote name='icpmattj']For those who beat it already.

How long does the game take to complete on normal or whatever difficulty you played it on?

Just wondering how much more i have to go.I'm almost 6 hours in on normal.[/QUOTE]

You're looking at 8-10 hours. I don't think the game counts how much time you've lost because of deaths.

I just beat
Poseidon
on Hard. This is going to be a tough, tough ride.

I have to go with Microshock on this one. Aleman, you know full well what you were getting yourself into. GOW 3 gameplay isn't a suprise to anybody. GOW 1 and 2 have been out for 5 plus years, every review has stated that GOW 3 is an enhanced version of that gameplay. 1 minute of reading a review would have told you what you wanted to hear. You have nobody to blame but yourself and you aren't going to gain any sympathy crying about it on a message board.

bread's done
Back