God of War III -- Gen. Discussion

I agree that I was stupid for falling into the hype. The game is great for what it is, but I guess I was illogically expecting more of an evolution after reading all the gushing on forums. It's pretty much a refined God of War 1 & 2, on steroids (and thus disappointing to me, just like Halo 3, GTAIV, and Modern Warfare 2 single player were... stale!). There's nothing wrong with that, but if I'm going to play a single player mode in any game, I want it to be something new. Otherwise I stick to multiplayer.

There are some missed opportunities... like the opening titan sequence. It blows your mind graphically but doesn't really affect the gameplay as much as it could. I couldn't help but wish for it and the boss fights to play out more like Shadow of the Colossus. Instead the boss fights (so far at least) are pretty standard pattern recognition + QTE affairs.

I'm not asking for sympathy, just saying that the game is certainly an outstanding achievement but also exactly what you'd expect. It isn't fresh enough to make me, as someone who hasn't liked past GoW/Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry games, like it. On the contrary, recent games have been more of an evolution for their respective genres, like how Uncharted 2 can appeal to people who like action adventures as well as those who like shooters, or Mass Effect 2 can appeal to people who like both traditional RPG's and shooters. But GoW3 sits squarely in the hack and slash genre.

Bottom line, merge GoW3 and Shadow of the Colossus for boss fights, and add more strategy to the regular combat (maybe some more defense, fewer but more intelligent enemies) and I would love it, and it would be much more significant in my opinion.

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here or give me any tips?
I'm at the part where you're moving those big blocks on chains and all the minotaurs attack you alongside the Cerberus. Now, I mount the Cerberus and can get 4-5 fireballs off before Kratos kills him off and there are like 10 minotaurs still chopping away at the chain and it falls within 2-3 seconds. I try to take out as many minotaurs as possible and then use my Army of Sparta to try to hit as many of them as possible but it's not working...

Of course, the worst part is having to redo ALL of it just to get to that part and die again.

I don't know why but I'm have a lot of difficulty with GoW3. I'm playing on normal but that's what I played the last 3 GoWs on and only had minor trouble every now and then... I don't know how I'm gonna beat Titan mode...

[quote name='Vinny']Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here?
I'm at the part where you're moving those big blocks on chains and all the minotaurs attack you alongside the Cerberus. Now, I mount the Cerberus and can get 4-5 fireballs off before Kratos kills him off and there are like 10 minotaurs still chopping away at the chain and it falls within 2-3 seconds.

Of course, the worst part is having to redo ALL of it just to get to that part and die again.

I don't know why but I'm have a lot of difficulty with GoW3. I'm playing on normal but that's what I played the last 3 GoWs on and only had minor trouble every now and then... I don't know how I'm gonna beat Titan mode...[/QUOTE]

You have to keep them from breaking the chain.Eventually all blocks will line up and you can continue.

Focus on killing minotuars first before any other enemy and you should be fine.Also use your spartan army magic thing (R2 button) any time you can it will help.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']How does that website help at all?

I just wanted to know if anyone received their codes yet.. relax.[/QUOTE]

when they send you your first code for preordring you go there and input it at that site. you need to log into one of your psn acount ( assuming you have more than one) and then once its processed youll see a message over the spot you input the conde saying code processed/accepted.

now where most of us are at is this next step where when the game shipped sony was supposed to email everyone another code which would be used on psn to download the actual skin. this as fas as ive heard hasnt happened yet.

[quote name='lokizz']when the game shipped sony was supposed to email everyone another code which would be used on psn to download the actual skin. this as fas as ive heard hasnt happened yet.[/QUOTE]

This is the answer to my question. Thanks!

Grrr... I want my codes! I am going to have all 5 skins. I love me some God of War :whistle2:D

[quote name='hqn101']WTF at the ending.

Knowing kratos he'll escape from hell again
[/QUOTE]

There is no hell anymore since there is no Hades

[quote name='hqn101']WTF at the ending.

Knowing kratos he'll escape from hell again
[/QUOTE]

When Kratos was lying there, dying in his pool of blood at the end... I can't help but notice that he was on what looks like the Phoenix, carved on the ground... I understand that in death, the Phoenix (Kratos) gets reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises, reborn anew to live again.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']
When Kratos was lying there, dying in his pool of blood at the end... I can't help but notice that he was on what looks like the Phoenix, carved on the ground... I understand that in death, the Phoenix (Kratos) gets reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises, reborn anew to live again.
[/QUOTE]

I saw that as well but I didn't infer that from it. I guess what you are saying makes sense but they've said plenty of times that this is the end of Kratos story.

Just received my Ultimate Edition from Amazon. The packaging is very nice, showing off some dramatic poses of Kratos on a black background along with imagery of the contents found within the special edition.

Upon opening the package, my greatest fears were confirmed as I found the wondrous container of Greek lore, Pandora's Box, to be crafted out of a very cheap plastic. That is not to say that the box does not look good - it does - but it just does not posses that cold and heavy, solid feel of a plaster, which I was hoping for. To reach the treasures of Pandora's Box, I had to slide (not lift) the lid off, as is true with the game. Inside the box lay a God of War III art book and of course the game, which is not the same as a retail copy and is not intended for resale as is mentioned on the back. The only differentiating factor is a folded sheet of paper contained within the game case that provides codes to redeem for digital copies of the God of War soundtrack, documentary, and additional in-game content.

All in all, it is an ok attempt at a special edition. I really like the idea of including Pandora's Box as a collector's item, but really wish it would have been manufactured with a higher quality. The art book albeit small appears to be a little thicker than others of its kind (e.g. Assassin's Creed 2 & Mass Effect 2). It's also a shame that the additional content is not presented in a tangible media form.

[quote name='Vinny']Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong here or give me any tips?
I'm at the part where you're moving those big blocks on chains and all the minotaurs attack you alongside the Cerberus. Now, I mount the Cerberus and can get 4-5 fireballs off before Kratos kills him off and there are like 10 minotaurs still chopping away at the chain and it falls within 2-3 seconds. I try to take out as many minotaurs as possible and then use my Army of Sparta to try to hit as many of them as possible but it's not working...

I don't know why but I'm have a lot of difficulty with GoW3. I'm playing on normal but that's what I played the last 3 GoWs on and only had minor trouble every now and then... I don't know how I'm gonna beat Titan mode...[/QUOTE]
Use your battering ram move (circle for grab, then square) to get rid of the guys early on and also try to run into the minotaurs with them when they show up to do some damage before taking them on directly, which should be enough to keep you ahead of the enemies. Be sure to also just hit them whenever you see them head for the chain to get their attention.

^
You should also use the Hades' magic attack where you call upon souls to help you out. The cerberus "helper" is the best soul choice for that part, especially since they easily knock enemies off the block, including the minotaurs.

[quote name='Swift900']Just received my Ultimate Edition from Amazon. The packaging is very nice, showing off some dramatic poses of Kratos on a black background along with imagery of the contents found within the special edition.

Upon opening the package, my greatest fears were confirmed as I found the wondrous container of Greek lore, Pandora's Box, to be crafted out of a very cheap plastic. That is not to say that the box does not look good - it does - but it just does not posses that cold and heavy, solid feel of a plaster, which I was hoping for. To reach the treasures of Pandora's Box, I had to slide (not lift) the lid off, as is true with the game. Inside the box lay a God of War III art book and of course the game, which is not the same as a retail copy and is not intended for resale as is mentioned on the back. The only differentiating factor is a folded sheet of paper contained within the game case that provides codes to redeem for digital copies of the God of War soundtrack, documentary, and additional in-game content.

All in all, it is an ok attempt at a special edition. I really like the idea of including Pandora's Box as a collector's item, but really wish it would have been manufactured with a higher quality. The art book albeit small appears to be a little thicker than others of its kind (e.g. Assassin's Creed 2 & Mass Effect 2). It's also a shame that the additional content is not presented in a tangible media form.[/QUOTE]

I thought about getting the Collector's, but yep, after reading that most everything was digital, I declined. If you're going to have a truly special edition, developers and publishers should spend the money and make it special, instead of cutting corners, like making the extra stuff digital. In the end, by making it digital, it doesn't really make the extras special and devalues them IMO.

The Challenge of Olympus is pathetically easy compared to the last two games.

I breezed through the whole thing in 15 minutes, upon unlocking it. There is nothing as hard as in the first two games, like "don't get hit once".

I finished on Titan mode the first (and only, since I hit the hardest difficulty first when trophies require it because I hardly ever replay games... plus I enjoy challenges) playthrough I'll probably do... not going to replay it for the two trophies I missed (1000 hit trophy and the hidden one
get through the Labyrinth without falling or dying, I think
.) Sucks that the combat arena can't be used to get the 1000 hit trophy.

It took me about 8 1/2 hours to beat... funny thing is, the only truly difficult part of Titan, to me, was the part mentioned above, with the whole box and breaking chain fiasco. Took me a solid 20 - 25 minutes of replaying to get through that part.

[quote name='animalspinners']The Challenge of Olympus is pathetically easy compared to the last two games.

I breezed through the whole thing in 15 minutes, upon unlocking it. There is nothing as hard as in the first two games, like "don't get hit once".[/QUOTE]

Is there a gold trophy for beating it like in the first two games (from the collection)?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Is there a gold trophy for beating it like in the first two games (from the collection)?[/QUOTE]

Sure is, easiest gold in the game by far, imo.

Here are the individual challenges if anyone is interested (in the spoiler tag, with some comments on them) -
Challenge 1 - Don't let more than 50 enemies spawn
Challenge 2 - Defeat the enemies with your bare hands
Challenge 3 - Get stoned and break out 10 times
Challenge 4 - Don't get gored by minotaurs or piled on by enemies
Challenge 5 - Score 1000 points by knocking enemies out of the ring
Challenge 6 - Kill 5 cyclops in 80 seconds
Challenge 7 - Break all the urns

3 is the only tough one, but you can force the medusas to stone you by grabbing, then do the Golden Fleece counter, fail on purpose, then break out - makes it real simple to do quickly. Challenge 5 lets you ride a cyclops and knock enemies out, 4 is easy because of the full rage of sparta bar you get. I found it to be incredibly easy compared to 1 and 2 (which I finished both as well).

[quote name='flameofdoom666']When I beat the game, will I be able to play Titan mode with all of my stats (NEW GAME+)?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so.. but Titan mode isn't as bad as it seems, imo. If you've played DMC, Ninja Gaiden, even Bayonetta, Titan mode will be cake. Hell, if you've beaten normal and know all the bosses patterns, you should be fine.

It's a bit tough at the beginning, but once you start expanding your health and magic, it becomes pretty easy. A fully maxed out
Nemean Gauntlet
helps a ton too.. it did with me.

[quote name='slickkill77']The
scorpion
fight...f*cking annoying[/QUOTE]

What I did was max out my gauntlets, and just pound on the legs with the square x 3 combo. If he was about to hit me with his tail, I'd simply use my magic right before, since you're invincible during it. I had my magic bar one chunk away from maxing out, so I had enough magic (and enough luck for him not to do the tail attack) to last it out. As soon as I came out of the magic, I just pounded on the legs some more.

There is probably a better way to avoid the tail, but magic worked for me. Plus, the magic also hurt the legs too. I'm sure you know, but the trick is to remove the crystals with the gauntlets off one side completely, the scorpion falls, do a QTE, repeat the other side.

Credit for this goes to ps3trophies.org, found it on their forums.

There is a glitch in place which allows you to get the "Maxed Out" trophy (maxing out all weapons) without, well, maxing out the weapons.

To do this, you'll have needed to beat the game, then beat the Challenge of Olympus to unlock the Combat Arena.

Go in, set your health to Level 1, magic and items to Level 4, difficulty to Titan, and I set up three Satyrs. I'm sure other combos work but I'm just following the original post. Die 5 times, and on the 5th time, the game will ask you "Would you like to switch to easy mode?" Tell it no, and it will dump you back out at the main menu - wait about 5 seconds and the trophy will pop. Confirmed by me, I just did it.

It's cheap, but I was about 500 orbs short of maxing the last weapon I needed, and I'm sure as hell not going to replay it again for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1TJBeeCNY

Best video I can find, but yeah, the Europe UE makes our edition even shittier. I've posted about it on other sites, but not here.

Comes with ACTUAL CD's for the soundtrack, the God of War Collection (1+2), some postcards, and ALL 4 Kratos skins. It also has download codes for the Metal album or whatever is is.

The only thing I think we get that they don't is the documentary, and a hardcover artbook (looks like theirs is softcover).

Just finished the game.

I dont know what to think, or really what i feel about the ending yet. I didnt think Kratos would die. Because at the end of GOW1 it says that from that day on he was the god of war, and even showed wars from current day.

When you are fighting Zeus and Gaia comes up she says that he should have picked the other one, referring to Kratos' brother?

I remember watching GTTV and Geoff Keighley said he couldnt believe they put that in there.....i am assuming he meant the sex game? I thought that was pretty hilarious when she says its mature content and shouldnt be seen by kids. The chick on the left has a nice rack... err for a video game character LOL.

Overall the game was fun, and the graphics and art were awesome. Especially near the end the art style is really cool in the level where you just walk/swim around. But yeah just not really sure about that ending.

[quote name='lolwut?']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt1TJBeeCNY

Best video I can find, but yeah, the Europe UE makes our edition even shittier. I've posted about it on other sites, but not here.

Comes with ACTUAL CD's for the soundtrack, the God of War Collection (1+2), some postcards, and ALL 4 Kratos skins. It also has download codes for the Metal album or whatever is is.

The only thing I think we get that they don't is the documentary, and a hardcover artbook (looks like theirs is softcover).[/QUOTE]

Holy shit.... Actualy CD's... postcards... more skins... argh

I'm trying to watch the end movie again, since I accidentally closed out of it yesterday while watching it. I still can't believe all the damn blood on the screen.

Is it just me or did Athena seem a little too anxious to have Kratos 'give her back her power', as if it were someone else(perhaps Ares?) and not actually Athena

[quote name='hqn101']
who's left to kill in greek myth, everyone is dead
[/QUOTE]

Well i dont remember killing a few of the titans, Only killed Cronus and Gaia. The others, maybe they died and i didnt notice? I did read how one of the titan battles was cut out of the game because it wasnt finished. But yeah im kind of confused where the world is now after everything that happened in the end. Did Kratos release hope to all those souls?

at the end where you are fighting zeus and gaia says something to the like "you should have chose the other one", are they talking about kratos' brother that was mentioned in that movie you had to watch in gow1 to get that trophy?

[quote name='8bitArtist']
at the end where you are fighting zeus and gaia says something to the like "you should have chose the other one", are they talking about kratos' brother that was mentioned in that movie you had to watch in gow1 to get that trophy?
[/QUOTE]

Thats who i thought they were talking about. Maybe setting up another GOW game that doesnt involve kratos, but stays within the same universe.

I was expecting a level on Gaia like we seen in one of the early trailers. Where he is fighting a bunch of guys, then a cyclopes comes and the world moves. Yeah that would have been cool. Maybe that was one of the things that got cut.

[quote name='IRHari']cmon...anyone got a phantom of chaos code i could trade for? ive got the apollo code.[/QUOTE]

And give up the code/skin that gives me the ability to max out every weapon I have easily due to it multiplying the red orbs I collect? No thanks.:razz:

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']And give up the code/skin that gives me the ability to max out every weapon I have easily due to it multiplying the red orbs I collect? No thanks.:razz:[/QUOTE]

I was able to max out all weapons on my first play through, and had more to spare. But i did play on easy. Just saying its not that hard.

Yeah, you definitely have a lot of room for error with Max everything. Not as much for Horns/Feathers/Eyes, though.

BTW, I just got
aMAZEd
. It's a Secret Gold Trophy.

[quote name='KingBroly']Yeah, you definitely have a lot of room for error with Max everything. Not as much for Horns/Feathers/Eyes, though.

BTW, I just got
aMAZEd
. It's a Secret Gold Trophy.[/QUOTE]

You can actually find hidden chest by using Helios' head. I didnt figure this out until a while after getting his head. But sometimes you can see some clear air that looks like its hot/wavy, you shine it and a chest appears. Or you could hold L2 and triangle to charge the attack and release triangle to give out a shockwave type move that can help find chests. Very cool addition to this game. For anyone that didnt know already.

Dont think this is spoiler worthy.....

I finally got my skin code. Now if only I could remember the other two dummy e-mail addresses I used for the GameCrazy and GameStop codes...

Oh and just to confirm....i could NOT use my alternate skins except on the difficulty i already beat OR any difficulty lower than the level i beat. AND it clearly stats you can NOT earn trophies while using these skins. So the whole gamestop skin for maxing out weapons wouldnt work anyway.

Just checked didnt get my skin code yet.

Question for all of you:

I'm thinking about getting this because it looks just so, soooo epic. Problem is, it's been several years since I played the first one and I don't remember anything in terms of the story. I never even played the second one.

Are these story heavy games? Or could I just jump in at number three with little to no problems?

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Question for all of you:

I'm thinking about getting this because it looks just so, soooo epic. Problem is, it's been several years since I played the first one and I don't remember anything in terms of the story. I never even played the second one.

Are these story heavy games? Or could I just jump in at number three with little to no problems?[/QUOTE]

If you haven't played the first two, you should be fine. There are references to the past games but they give you a enough info for you to go on.

But if you haven't played the first two, you're missing out. The first two games are amazing, even to this day. I would definitely recommend you play the first two before part 3 because the overall story for this series is amazing.

[quote name='Nirron']I finally got my skin code. Now if only I could remember the other two dummy e-mail addresses I used for the GameCrazy and GameStop codes...[/QUOTE]

Ahhh! I will keep a look out for my 3 codes that should be coming. So far I got nada.

Is the code a regular PSN code... so I can put all of the costumes on my main account?

I just barely got that 100kb code to download on my HDD. I might have to make room of the allotted 92 gb I have left.

I don't know if I could get a different costume code from somebody else or not, even though I have this extra Phantom of Chaos code.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Question for all of you:

Are these story heavy games? Or could I just jump in at number three with little to no problems?[/QUOTE]

The reason these stories are good is because they're set in greek mythology and the characters are just naturally strong with lots of back story to them all.

Plus, one of the reasons I've been hyped for GOW3 is the fact that all of the gods of olympus were supposed to die because of Kratos's quest for vengeance. And show the end of greek mythology. Just so epic to me

bread's done
Back