God of War PSP bundle available at Walmart - YMMV

jimflox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
This isn't actually a 'deal', so my apologies if it is in the wrong forum. I did a quick search, and did not see any threads detailing this, so again, my apologies if it is a repost.

I saw posted a few days ago on pspfanboy.com that at least one Walmart had broken the street date of the GoW PSP bundle. I had today off, and was out doing some store hopping, and figured I'd roll the dice and take my chances. Lo and behold, there it was, maybe 4-5 of them sitting behind the case. I walked out the store with one, and am pretty happy I didn't have to wait til June 3rd.

This was at the Walmart in Greenfield, WI, on hwy 100 and Layton ave. Just outside of Milwaukee, for those not from the area.

Here is the link to the story off pspfanboy -

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2008/05/25/god-of-war-psp-street-date-broken-at-wal-mart/

So, if you're waiting on this bundle to finally snag a PSP, might be worth a quick trip to your local Walmart. Good luck.

Errr... looks like I haven't set the date/time on my camera since the last time it sat with a dead battery, heh.

By jimflox

I've read the debates online on whether or not this bundle actually comes with a memory stick... Can you please clarify for us, Jim? Thanks a million!

The bundle does not come with a memory stick at all. I actually was expecting it did, and did not realize that it didn't until opening up and going through everthing.

Actually reading the back of the bundle now, it does not mention a memory stick being included.

I'm guessing the download voucher for Syphon Filter: Combat Ops is sorta a replacement for the memory stick in terms of "value".

It's not that big a deal to me since I picked up a 4gb Pro Duo from Frys online a few weeks ago in anticipation of buying a PSP. They keep putting them on sale for $32-ish, and last week had a mail in rebate offer that took it down to $17 or $18 shipped. I can see some people being annoyed at no memory stick being included, though.

Of mild disappointment to me is that God of War and Superbad don't come in full retail cases, just little cardboard slip covers over the UMD case. Guess it makes sense if you think about it, though. Does knock off a bit of the resell value, if you decide to part with the pack ins.

Per the back and front of the box (and confirmed by me), this is what you get.

Deep Red System
AC power cord
AC adaptor
Battery Pack
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Superbad
Syphon Filter: Combat Ops Voucher
Printed materials

[quote name='jimflox']The bundle does not come with a memory stick at all. I actually was expecting it did, and did not realize that it didn't until opening up and going through everthing.

Actually reading the back of the bundle now, it does not mention a memory stick being included.

I'm guessing the download voucher for Syphon Filter: Combat Ops is sorta a replacement for the memory stick in terms of "value".

It's not that big a deal to me since I picked up a 4gb Pro Duo from Frys online a few weeks ago in anticipation of buying a PSP. They keep putting them on sale for $32-ish, and last week had a mail in rebate offer that took it down to $17 or $18 shipped. I can see some people being annoyed at no memory stick being included, though.

Of mild disappointment to me is that God of War and Superbad don't come in full retail cases, just little cardboard slip covers over the UMD case. Guess it makes sense if you think about it, though. Does knock off a bit of the resell value, if you decide to part with the pack ins.

Per the back and front of the box (and confirmed by me), this is what you get.

Deep Red System
AC power cord
AC adaptor
Battery Pack
God of War: Chains of Olympus
Superbad
Syphon Filter: Combat Ops Voucher
Printed materials[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Thanks for the info, Jim! Yeah, about the pack-ins, I don't know if there's been a bundle that had the full cases for the included games and/or movies. I may be wrong, however.

Do they at least throw in the full size game instruction manual? Bad enough without the actual case.

Another small bit of info. I went to redeem my voucher code for the free download of Syphon Filter : Combat Ops, and got a message saying the code was invalid.

I sorta expected as much, since this isn't officially released for another week. My guess would be that the code will be valid on June 3rd, and then I can download the game.

Small question for any PSP owners browsing this thread. This is my first PSP, so I'm not real well versed in accessories. Any preferred brand of screen protector that any of you swear by?

Also, aside from forking over $20+ bucks for the official media manager software, any good freebie third party software apps for changing video and ripping DVDs into PSP compatible formats?

Amusingly, I got two full size manuals for God of War.

They seem to be identical, except for two things. One of them has the 'ready at dawn' studios logo on the bottom right of the cover, as well as a playstation underground mail in card/survey in the middle of it. The other one does not.

Just wanted to say thanks for the info, jim, really useful. Looks like I won't be getting this pack. Lack of memory card plus God of War not having a real case adds up to me getting that Best Buy bundle/deal this week.

[quote name='Ilario7886']Just wanted to say thanks for the info, jim, really useful. Looks like I won't be getting this pack. Lack of memory card plus God of War not having a real case adds up to me getting that Best Buy bundle/deal this week.[/QUOTE]
But the awesome as hell Red God of War psp makes up for it. I wish I had money to upgrade to a slim :( I still have a psp phat from launch

[quote name='jimflox']Another small bit of info. I went to redeem my voucher code for the free download of Syphon Filter : Combat Ops, and got a message saying the code was invalid.

I sorta expected as much, since this isn't officially released for another week. My guess would be that the code will be valid on June 3rd, and then I can download the game.

Small question for any PSP owners browsing this thread. This is my first PSP, so I'm not real well versed in accessories. Any preferred brand of screen protector that any of you swear by?

Also, aside from forking over $20+ bucks for the official media manager software, any good freebie third party software apps for changing video and ripping DVDs into PSP compatible formats?[/quote]

Do a search for HORI screen protectors. I got mine from Decalgirl.com over 2 years ago, and it still looks great and you can't even notice it is there. There is no greater screen protector over Hori. Ebay is another cheap place to get one.

Weird about the two manuals. Glad to know that they include it in the bundle. The cardboard sleeves bug me too much so I just bought the core black instead and will wait for GoW to drop to $19.99.

There are threads about screen protectors in the PSP forum. I'm looking into it too. Hori's are slightly smaller than the screen, so maybe the javoedge. Invisible shields get mentioned too.

[quote name='jimflox']

Also, aside from forking over $20+ bucks for the official media manager software, any good freebie third party software apps for changing video and ripping DVDs into PSP compatible formats?[/quote]

The official one is available for free at the Japanese PS Store....here

Everything is in English once you download it.

Article explaining it from Kotaku here.

I just got a Slim Black PSP like two weeks ago (but I am planning on getting the GOW Bundle and putting CFW on my black one) and acording to this:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/598/598803p3.html

the PSP screen's resolution is 480x272 and this is the only free program I could find that I think rips DVD Video to PSP compatible .mp4 with that resolution is (I have only ripped one DVD Video and it was "Cinemascope" or a.r. 2.35:1 or whatever it's called so it put out a 480x200 MP4 file that looked like it was the correct aspect ratio and worked fine on my PSP):

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1454

[quote name='ILikeMe1337']I just got a Slim Black PSP like two weeks ago (but I am planning on getting the GOW Bundle and putting CFW on my black one) and acording to this:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/598/598803p3.html

the PSP screen's resolution is 480x272 and this is the only free program I could find that I think rips DVD Video to PSP compatible .mp4 with that resolution is (I have only ripped one DVD Video and it was "Cinemascope" or a.r. 2.35:1 or whatever it's called so it put out a 480x200 MP4 file that looked like it was the correct aspect ratio and worked fine on my PSP):

http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/1454[/QUOTE]
Why would you get two? You can still run PSP games on CW

[quote name='jimflox']Another small bit of info. I went to redeem my voucher code for the free download of Syphon Filter : Combat Ops, and got a message saying the code was invalid.

I recommend the Invisi Shield, I know it may be a bit pricier than other protectors but this is the best bang for your buck. I have had these on ipods and cellphones and there is nothing like this. They don't get scratched, no matter what you do and you get lifetime replacement. They also have a full body shield if you're interested. I am going to order mine now so that it's here when my PSP gets here.

http://www.zagg.com/

Thanks for the information on the Invisi Shield, thoses look interesting.

One last bit of information, after playing a bit with it tonight, it does get a lot of fingerprints on the backside of the system. The red plastic is quite glossy/shiny/smooth, much like the piano black one. Not as noticeable as on the black system, but you can see them.

I mention this because part of the reason I didn't want to get a black system was the whole fingerprint/smudges issue. This one is fairly similar in that regard. So, if the only thing keeping you from wanting a piano black system is the way it attracts fingerprints and smudges, this red one may disappoint you.

Overall, I do like it though. It's not as cool looking as I thought from the initial pics, but it is still a nice looking system, and I normally don't like red all that much. The bundle value is the deciding factor here though. Getting God of War, the download voucher for SF: Combat Ops and Superbad on UMD is a pretty solid deal, considering the bundle costs $30 more than the standalone black system.

I'll stop by GR BB tomorrow. Hope they let me pre-order it! Also, i'll pickup few UMD movies at GS/EB sales for $4.50 each after 10% off coupon!

cowboy bebop
fun with dick
house of flying daggers
kung fu hustle
labrynth
reidenr evil
RE apoc
stuart little 1 and 2
stuart 3
when a stranger calls

[quote name='Masterkyo']I'll stop by GR BB tomorrow. Hope they let me pre-order it! Also, i'll pickup few UMD movies at GS/EB sales for $4.50 each after 10% off coupon!

cowboy bebop
fun with dick
house of flying daggers
kung fu hustle
labrynth
reidenr evil
RE apoc
stuart little 1 and 2
stuart 3
when a stranger calls[/quote]

Aren't those on sale on the 2nd?

[quote name='MikeHoncho']Why would you get two? You can still run PSP games on CW[/quote]

In case I want to buy a future game on release day that has new OFW and forces you to update then the game might not work or a maybe a bricked PSP, so i'm gonna use all my UMD or Playstation Store stuff (Free Syphon Filter Game that comes with the bundle) on my red GOW PSP, has there been any long delays in CFW catching up to OFW in the past?.

[quote name='Maddgief']I too will be getting the GOW bundle.

Question: Can you save games without the memory stick? Is there onboard memory?[/quote]

You're going to need a memory stick to save games. I'm sure you can find one super cheap if you look arou8nd.

That sucks that GoW and Superbad don't come with cases :(

Still will be picking up this system though, then use my original PSP for CFW.

i went to walmart they had 1, but system kept coming up not to sell it, i told them to switch it out real quick with the basic one (the 1 guy was going to do that, but some other lady stopped him), one of the retards said they must have been a recall on it :) i was trying my best to get around it, but they wouldnt budge :(

Yay! Now i can use my GR BB credits. Put $80 down pre-order GOW bundle. They will have 2 instock on June 3rd. Whoever lucky will get the 2nd one at 23rd Street & 291 in Independence, MO. My Red PSP now is secured ;)

[quote name='Masterkyo']Yay! Now i can use my GR BB credits. Put $80 down pre-order GOW bundle. They will have 2 instock on June 3rd. Whoever lucky will get the 2nd one at 23rd Street & 291 in Independence, MO. My Red PSP now is secured ;)[/quote]

They're only getting 2? Ist his supposed to be limited or is am I missing something?

I called 3 local GR BB near Independence, MO. They'll receive only 2 GOW bundle per store. That's why i put down $80 credits for my pre-order. If you want GOW & use your GR BB credits you better pre-order it or you end up not getting it.

I think the Daxter, Vader and GoW bundles are all technically considered 'limited', although they shouldn't be hard to find. From what I hear, the Vader bundle is pretty much sold out most places, and being discontinued.

Game stores will do their usual, only order a few beyond their preorders, then delight in telling people 'Did you preorder? No? Sorry, we only have enough to cover preorders... you should preorder next time'.

Any retail store (Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc) should get plenty in to cover any demand.

[quote name='jimflox']It seems Hori did make an updated 'slim' PSP screen protector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hori-Sony-PSP-2...yZ139969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you check the photo of the packaging, it definitely says psp.2000 on it in a few places. Most of it is not in English, so I'm not sure what else is said on it.

0.99 with 2.99 shipping. I'll take a chance at $3.98 shipped. If this one doesn't work out, I'll try another brand.[/QUOTE]

Nice find! :D The particular auction you linked to is done, but if you do a search for the same name you'll find more identical auctions from the same seller. Glad you found that.

$3.98, good deal, worth the "risk."

And a note:
There is a working promo code at decalgirl for 15% off: PSPHOME
Used it on a screen protector for my Palm Centro. $6.48 shipped. :D

[quote name='Masterkyo']I called 3 local GR BB near Independence, MO. They'll receive only 2 GOW bundle per store. That's why i put down $80 credits for my pre-order. If you want GOW & use your GR BB credits you better pre-order it or you end up not getting it.[/quote]

Wow, well if only 2 are being sent to each store this thing is going to be pretty limited. Are they getting pre-orders and an extra 2 or just 2 and that's it?

[quote name='ILikeMe1337']In case I want to buy a future game on release day that has new OFW and forces you to update then the game might not work or a maybe a bricked PSP, so i'm gonna use all my UMD or Playstation Store stuff (Free Syphon Filter Game that comes with the bundle) on my red GOW PSP, has there been any long delays in CFW catching up to OFW in the past?.[/QUOTE]

If anything it is the other way. It usually take a while before new release has the newest OFW

[quote name='Masterkyo']I called 3 local GR BB near Independence, MO. They'll receive only 2 GOW bundle per store. That's why i put down $80 credits for my pre-order. If you want GOW & use your GR BB credits you better pre-order it or you end up not getting it.[/quote]

What's GR BB? best buy?

[quote name='eliter1']Wow, well if only 2 are being sent to each store this thing is going to be pretty limited. Are they getting pre-orders and an extra 2 or just 2 and that's it?[/QUOTE]

They only get 2 GOW Bundle and that's it. That's why i put down $80 & pick up my PSP on June 3rd.

Hey guys, I ordered a InvisiShield for my soon to come PSP and the gave me 2 20% off coupons. I would gladly give them to one of you guys but please only ask for one if you are going to use it.

[quote name='Masterkyo']They only get 2 GOW Bundle and that's it. That's why i put down $80 & pick up my PSP on June 3rd.[/quote]

I have to wait for Amazon to sh!p mine :(, Well maybe they only get 2 because its Blockbuster, I don't see why they would get more than that.

[quote name='syndicate701']Have mine on pre-order from Amazon.. I can wait esp saving $13 on tax.[/quote]

Amazon is the one-and-only reason I hope they work out interstate sales tax laws. Then you guys can all feel the sting of 9% sales tax, too!

I wonder how limited this bundle will truly be. My store only got three in. Don't know if more will be in after that. I really want to buy it.. I think I will be picking it up.

bread's done
Back